PDA

View Full Version : How exactly does one FIND a scalper anyway?

Darth Detori
06-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Not that I'd ever buy from them, but I mean where do they sell from? Do they hang around the isles looking for collectors, and then approach them? Do they sell to comic stores for high prices? Flea Markets?

This has just never been too clear to me

Dar' Argol
06-10-2002, 12:23 AM
Lets see, where to find a SCALPER???

-Uh, eBay is a good source, anyone sell for more then around 10-20% over retail I concider a scalper.

-Comic shops, most shops allow ppl to sell out of there for a cut. If you see an outragious price on a fig, scalper

-Flea Markets, usually someone with a whole buch of toys on the table, in plastic boxes of some sorts, with little white tags that say $100 for a orange carded "Monkey" Leia, or something like that.

-Collector or Memorbillia(sp) shops in the mall, scalper Hive!!!!

-Seedy-lookin ppl at yard sales who's eye light up and they start to drool uncontrolably at the sight of any vintage or early POTF figs, scalp . . . . . . . . oh wait, that's me:D

figrin bran
06-10-2002, 12:25 AM
sometimes you can even find them in the parking lots of targets, WM's, Tru's as i'm sure many of us can attest to.

Exhaust Port
06-10-2002, 12:28 AM
You'll find them on eBay or other online auction sites with outrageous first bids or high reserves. Some comic book stores scalp by walking across the street, buy figures from the orginal store and then turn around and sell those same figures for quite a markup. Some online stores/sellers could be considered scalpers in their selling practices. The act of scalping can be found in all sub-cultures of collecting.

Basically any sort of secondary market (not the original store of purchase) venue is full of "scalpers." Sometimes the word scalper is thrown around a bit too loosely, aimed at anyone who sells a figure at a markup. Well, at some point a figure's value does rise and there for it'll cost you more.

Dar' Argol
06-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Sometimes the word scalper is thrown around a bit too loosely, aimed at anyone who sells a figure at a markup. Well, at some point a figure's value does rise and there for it'll cost you more.

You are correct and I should have clairified myself a little bit. I ment for the newer figs or the HTF (if you cann call it that) and 10-20% is fine, but more and I have a problem. Now for the older figs if someone has a "Valued" $100 fig and they are trying to sell it for $200, its scalping in my book. But of course the "value" is really determined buy what you are willing to pay. Someone may pay $1000 for a FF Weeque because it completes his entire collection(hey, it could happen). I would never pay more then $25 for a fig I wanted and I haven't. The last time I spent more then retail for a fig was $20 for a orange carded Greedo b/c I really liked the character and I could not find the green carded anywhere. This was also b/4 the CTC Greedo.

So, I should have been more clear in my respons:D

mrmiller
06-10-2002, 09:04 AM
For me- If someone is selling an item for more than retail, when it is still avaliable at retail= scalper. I really don't have a problem with people asking $30 for a Swimming Jar Jar now, because you can't get it elsewhere. But I bet the majority of these people have horded them since the day they were released.

Best way to find a scalper (besides EBay), in the toy isle. When you show up about 2 secons to late. Just in time to see a guy cart off a basket full of Han's and Chewies. Doh! :(

=MATT=

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 09:13 AM
Some items do appreciate in value because of rarity; but I am under the firm belief that any figure released after 1995 should still be available for under $10 if you look hard enough.

However, you can't expect someone to sell a carded 12-back Darth Vader for it's original $1.89 retail price. That figure is worth much more than that for it's rarity alone.

BillyJAck
06-10-2002, 09:29 AM
You can find a scalper by going to www.ebay.com and doing a search for AOTC rare anything that comes up is from a scalper. There u go in a nutshell. lol

billyjack

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-10-2002, 10:01 AM
but, what if they are legitamently selling your collection peice by peice on ebay, then are you a scalper?

DarthMushy
06-10-2002, 10:22 AM
If you want to catch a scalper:

1) Go to your local WM Star Wars aisle
2) Get a large box (really big... some scalpers are very large)
3) Prop up one end of the box with a stick
4) Tie a string to the stick
5) Place a Yoda or Dooku under the box
6) Holding one end of the string, go hide in the barbie aisle
7) When you feel a tug, pull the string.

Bingo! You've just caught a scalper. I recommend you feed him nothing but bean sprouts and 'Big K' orange soda, and walk him twice a day.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by DarthMushy
If you want to catch a scalper:

1) Go to your local WM Star Wars aisle
2) Get a large box (really big... some scalpers are very large)
3) Prop up one end of the box with a stick
4) Tie a string to the stick
5) Place a Yoda or Dooku under the box
6) Holding one end of the string, go hide in the barbie aisle
7) When you feel a tug, pull the string.

Bingo! You've just caught a scalper. I recommend you feed him nothing but bean sprouts and 'Big K' orange soda, and walk him twice a day.

This post gets the smilie of the day award :D :D :D !

I like your 'method', but in case you don't have an XXXL box or a Dooku for bait I would just walk around the SW shelf at WM or TRU with $ hanging out of my pockets while whining loudly "Why can't I find anyone to sell me a Bloody Stump Luke for $100?"

DarthMushy
06-10-2002, 04:11 PM
just walk around the SW shelf at WM or TRU with $ hanging out of my pockets while whining loudly "Why can't I find anyone to sell me a Bloody Stump Luke for $100?"

Hahaha! I'm going to try that!

Vortex
06-10-2002, 04:17 PM
E*bay...I can't even type that word without getting the chills...

Yup, comic shops are notorious for scalpers, and even scalping themselves. They buy from the toy store employees, scalpers, and mark the toys they get from Diamond way up.

The other seedy place to find a scalper is any toy/comic show. They live for these things, and this is where they make the bulk of their cash. If you want to be shocked and horrified, check one of these things out. The bulk of the guys here, all look like the comic book shop guy from the simpsons:)

While working at TRU, we could pick them out after a while, since they came in at the same time, when to the same isles all the time, and only searched for the "hot" items. 1st it was Hot Wheels, then star wars, spawn, barbie, beanies, and then they were out the door.

They are like roaches...they are everywhere, and hard to get rid of.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Time for me to try out DarthMushy's method.

cptpinkerton
06-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Ebay gets a bad rap. I know of people who frequent these boards and post hordes of stuff on ebay.

Ebay, like it or not, is the only place where the laws of economics truly play out. I've only bought 20 or so things on ebay ever, but the buyer is in complete control. The item is only worth what someone will pay for it, despite whether or not people deem that reasonable.
I always hunt around on ebay, not even to browse, but to get an idea of what the market commands for anything, albeit a Bloody Luke Skywalker Bespin, or a They Live OOP DVD that my friend found at a pawn shop for $5.
I agree that like all things, ebay is definitely something that is abused, and chances are, you WILL find better deals with people through the trading boards, but there are times when Ebay has been more than good to me.

Wonderboy
06-10-2002, 08:25 PM
follow the mullets...and hot wheels...then you will find the scalper.

figrin bran
06-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Wonderboy
follow the mullets...and hot wheels...then you will find the scalper.

lol! i've seen a few that match the description...

tagmac
06-11-2002, 01:02 AM
Flea markets are also places where scalpers can be found, although the guy I regularly deal with gets his own cases in, so if it's a really tough to find figure, I'll buy it off him, and he usually only charges me $10-$12 per new figure, so it's not too bad.