PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the Figures you want? Get a Hot Chick to ask!

icatch9
06-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Boy have I got a story for you guys.

So, I'm in KB at a huge mall, checking things out. Nothing to good, but the price drop was interesting. Anyway, I walk back to the regular action figure isle just to see all the cool toys. So, there’s a portly 30ish employee who comes back walking really fast and asked this younger guy with spiky hair "Are there any Yoda's back there, it’s for a hot chick!" The youngster replied, "Yea, but I want to give it to her!" So, they go to the back and they both race up to this woman and give her a Yoda. First of all, this woman was about 30 and with her very Italian ("connected") looking husband. Second of all she wasn't a model or anything. She was very nice and good-looking but these guys where acting like they had never seen a woman before.

So, I thought this to be odd and a bit un-nerving. I thought those guys were real dorks, and a bit stupid. But I got to thinking that this was my key to a Yoda. See my fiancé' was looking at some things at JC Penny's. When she was done I told her the story, and I told her to do the same thing. My fiancé' is very good looking, very tall, and very persuasive and I knew she could wrap those punks around her little finger. So, I talked her into doing it. I of course made myself scarce and looked at another store.

Let me say that my fiancé is very informed in Star Wars and in the collecting. She knows as much as anyone when it comes to what is good and what is rare.

She told a good story, and she said she was so good at playing that dumb girl who needed this figure for her little brother.

She started by looking at the figures and looking very confused. The 30ish portly fellow asked if she needed any help. She then in turn asked him if he knew who that little green guy was who fought the old man at the end of the movie. The dude said that he was Yoda. She asked if they had one because her little brother really wanted one. He told her, and mind you he was fumbling with his words the whole time (you know in that dumb flirty way us guys do) that he had one behind the counter and that they were really hard to find. He then went on to say that he knew whom Yoda was because he saw the movie. So, she got a Yoda and gave this guy a thrill for the night. He was so excited to talk to a pretty young girl about Star Wars that he almost wet himself.

So she was very excited about her little escapade. She said it was very fun to do, and we just cracked on that guy and his little sidekick all the way to the car.

My suggestion to you guys is find a hot chick to get your figures. I mean it worked twice in one day. If you don't know a hot chick go to the mall and find one. Ask her to go up to that guy and ask for a Yoda or whatever you need. He'll blush and hot step it to the back. Good luck!
:D

keith koth
06-10-2002, 10:55 AM
I agree. I always get my wife to go ask the employees about the newest waves of figures. And it always works...if they actually have the figures I want in stock. But they will always be more than willing to go check for her as opposed to when I go into the store and ask....they simply say something like"yeah, we had those but we already sold them all".

On more than one ocassion I have had an employee working the toy department/store tell me that they did not have what I was looking for; only for them to turn around and go retrieve the same figures from the stockroom and give them to my wife (in each instance, we walked in separately acting as if we did not know eachother and in each instance the store employee waited until I left before going to the back to get the figures for my wife).

So, it seems that most toy store employees (probably an over generalization) have the following priorities when it comes to the hottest new releases:

1. hot chicks have first priority
2. themselves (they always set a few aside for their "own" collection [i.e., for sale on ebay])
3. sclapers (with their under the table payoffs)
4. collectors

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 11:01 AM
Lol, those are great stories. Next time I'm looking for something I'll send my girlfriend in, although that may be a it of a problem.
When she sees me spending money on the latest figures, I don't have any excuse later on if I have to tell her I don't have enough money to buy her a blouse or something that she wants. :( Catch-22:D

saladin
06-10-2002, 11:07 AM
this sucks, i don't have a wife or girl, i'm doomed.

Darth Cynical
06-10-2002, 11:12 AM
I find this story to be rather easily explainable really, the women in question were probably force sensative and merely employed a simple Jedi mind trick on these happless store clerks. I myself use this most basic of skills whenever shopping for "new wave" figures...

keith koth
06-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Exactly!

She always waves her hand in front of the employees face and says "these are not the figures your scalper friend is looking for".....those poor weak minded fools don't stand a chance against her powerful Jedi mind tricks. ;)

icatch9
06-10-2002, 11:40 AM
I didn't know that long legs and ummm........ other nice featurs:kiss: constituted as a Jedi Mind Trick:D . Just like any walk of life. Hot chicks get what they want. Glad that mine wants me:D :D

tagmac
06-10-2002, 02:40 PM
Reminds me of the time I was in TRU.....a young woman with two kids asked if they had McFarlane in the back, and the worker went back and brought out 2 cass. I asked about SW, and the same worker insisted that what was out was it, then brushed me off. Wouldn't have bothered me too much, until I said to the woman "musta' thought I was gonna sell the figures," and the woman said "hah hah...well, we do." Losing out to a parent with kids doesn't hurt - losing out to a scalper (esp one who doesn't fit the usual profile) ticks me off big time.

Jedi Juice
06-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Next time I go to the mall I will have to ask my friends to check out the Star Wars inventory for me. That's a great idea and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

QLD
06-10-2002, 03:01 PM
What are you going to do if the clerk is gay? Or female? Unless the female is gay.

But I am sure most Star Wars fans have tons of hot chicks laying around willing to do their figure hunting for them.

I always just ask myself, and have no problem getting anything. I am just nice. But if I was in their shoes, I would do it too. It's amazing how people will go out of their way when someone is really sexually attractive or if someone is nice.

icatch9
06-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Of course there are exceptions at every store. Still it's hard to change a man, and most men would do anything for a hot chick. Most men, not all. I wouldn't, but I would if a man or woman was nice to me. That is after all the kicker in all walks of life.

Still if your mom, sister, girlfriend or wife is hot, they'll get the figuers a lot easier than anyone no matter how nice they are.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2002, 03:46 PM
I love sending my wife out with my 7-year-old son trolling for figures. They tend to have more success than I do since they always figure that the stuff's for my kid.

However, I believe a smoking chick will do it every time. They can get anything they want, practically. Did anyone see that Seinfeld when Jerry dates that hot model and gets out of paying a traffic ticket and other stuff? That's about as close to reality as a sitcom can get.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-10-2002, 03:55 PM
(starts writinging in a notepad) Find hot girl to get your figures.

cptpinkerton
06-10-2002, 04:05 PM
deploy and employ the Sarah I will.

thought of this I had not.

icatch9
06-10-2002, 04:14 PM
Yea, I totally know that episode of Sienfeld. Seen them all, I have. Still, never thought of useing it until I saw it work in real life. I don't think I'll ever get my girl to get me out of a speeding ticket, but I let her "powers" run free. What ever she can get I'll take:)

cptpinkerton, who is this Sarah you speak of? A good looking girl I suppose.. Fill us in on your progress.

brentfett
06-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Man, whoever thought the day would come when you had to use a sexy chick to get figures! Up until now I always had faith in my persistence and resourcefulness. Oh well!:rolleyes:

cptpinkerton
06-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Sarah is my longtime sunshine so to speak. We've been dating for three + years now. I'm a senior in college, just to offer a frame of reference.
LMS

EDIT: She's a tallish - 5'7 brunette, real pretty. But of course I'm biased. Work well for the figure shopping she would. I'm gonna have to try and convince her.

DarthBrandon
06-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Boy have I got a story for you guys.

So, I'm in KB at a huge mall, checking things out. Nothing to good, but the price drop was interesting. Anyway, I walk back to the regular action figure isle just to see all the cool toys. So, there’s a portly 30ish employee who comes back walking really fast and asked this younger guy with spiky hair "Are there any Yoda's back there, it’s for a hot chick!" The youngster replied, "Yea, but I want to give it to her!" So, they go to the back and they both race up to this woman and give her a Yoda. First of all, this woman was about 30 and with her very Italian ("connected") looking husband. Second of all she wasn't a model or anything. She was very nice and good-looking but these guys where acting like they had never seen a woman before.

So, I thought this to be odd and a bit un-nerving. I thought those guys were real dorks, and a bit stupid. But I got to thinking that this was my key to a Yoda. See my fiancé' was looking at some things at JC Penny's. When she was done I told her the story, and I told her to do the same thing. My fiancé' is very good looking, very tall, and very persuasive and I knew she could wrap those punks around her little finger. So, I talked her into doing it. I of course made myself scarce and looked at another store.

Let me say that my fiancé is very informed in Star Wars and in the collecting. She knows as much as anyone when it comes to what is good and what is rare.

She told a good story, and she said she was so good at playing that dumb girl who needed this figure for her little brother.

She started by looking at the figures and looking very confused. The 30ish portly fellow asked if she needed any help. She then in turn asked him if he knew who that little green guy was who fought the old man at the end of the movie. The dude said that he was Yoda. She asked if they had one because her little brother really wanted one. He told her, and mind you he was fumbling with his words the whole time (you know in that dumb flirty way us guys do) that he had one behind the counter and that they were really hard to find. He then went on to say that he knew whom Yoda was because he saw the movie. So, she got a Yoda and gave this guy a thrill for the night. He was so excited to talk to a pretty young girl about Star Wars that he almost wet himself.

So she was very excited about her little escapade. She said it was very fun to do, and we just cracked on that guy and his little sidekick all the way to the car.

My suggestion to you guys is find a hot chick to get your figures. I mean it worked twice in one day. If you don't know a hot chick go to the mall and find one. Ask her to go up to that guy and ask for a Yoda or whatever you need. He'll blush and hot step it to the back. Good luck!

Same thing happened to me but in a different way, the wife and I went into toysrus one day when I was looking for the Sneak Preview Assortment way back when. I asked the guy if they got anymore S.W. figures in today and he said no. Then the wife asked the same thing five minutes later to the same guy and he takes her out back where there was six cases. She calls me on the cell phone and I come in from the truck, the look on that guys face was priceless. He just got done lying to me five minutes ago and my wife is sitting there with six cases in front of her. She then asks if she can open them all up and make her own case, the guy said sure, so we did. I got six clonetroopers ( Army Building ) and two of each figure, ( Jango, Zam, and the Droid ) one to open and one to keep carded. Then I told the guy to put them on the shelves so others may get a chance to buy them. We walked out and Lisa ( the Wife) says " I told you women have more pull than guys". I just laughed and smiled cause I was happy I got them. Women LOL LOL where would we be without them.

LTBasker
06-10-2002, 08:47 PM
*adds this reason to the list of cons of being 15* :frus:

figrin bran
06-10-2002, 10:51 PM
hee hee! my female friends will be sooo surprised when i ask to accompany them when they go shopping! ;)

CooLJoE
06-11-2002, 01:50 AM
Hmmm, no woman do I have. But my friend does and I'll have to tell him of this new Jedi trick. Then when she's in town, he can get the good stuff.

icatch9
06-11-2002, 08:42 AM
It is interesting to see how often this works :) I still think some of these stories are funny. I think it's good and bad of the stores to do such things. It seems that they may be trying to keep these figues out of the hands of scalpers. Yea right! More like they are saveing them for scalpers and makeing themselves a bit on the side.

I think everyone should try this in one way or another. You (the guy) go in first and ask, you'll more than likly get shot down. Then have your pretty girl go in and ask, when your not around. When she scores, you follow suit and ask the guy "you told me you didn't have any, you SOB!" You have to add the SOB thing to show your anger. Just to embarrasse all these idiot toy store punks who think they have something so valuable they have to keep it hidden.

RAVAZ
06-11-2002, 11:14 AM
Damn! I'm gonna try that!

Jedi Drew
06-11-2002, 12:23 PM
My wife will sometimes go looking for figures for me since she is always buying Dora the explorer stuff for our niece. She first asks about the new "Dora" stuff then asks about SW figures. This has worked twice with the SW figures. The guy brought out a fresh case from the backroom both of the times she has asked. I didn't need any of them since I had Dooku ect. already-so he had to put them out on the pegs. Hopefully this helped out some fellow collectors and not the scalpers. :evil: :evil: HH

scruffziller
07-21-2002, 12:25 PM
I think Triumph the Insult Comic Dog says it all.

DarthMaulSithLord
07-21-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by brandon

LOL LOL where would we be without them.

Probably lying down in a cave scratching our asses all day long and looking at how the cheese between our feet evolve.

OriginalBryGuy
07-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Yes, friends, girls are the keys to getting figures.

I know I've pimped this picture in the forums before, but it's so great. My friend Heather with her Jorg Sacul at Celebration II.

http://www.originalplots.com/digital/050302/images/DCP_2862.JPG

She's a huge star wars fan and is reading many of the books now. She actually had the original Cloud City playset and several of the vintage figures. Definite props there.

I've never used my girlfriend or Heather to buy figures using their looks alone tho...MAYBE I SHOULD! haha:D

Exhaust Port
07-22-2002, 11:51 AM
With my birthday arriving in several weeks my girlfriend is asking what I want. Knowing that she doesn't stand a chance of 1. finding a figure that I want 2. finding a figure that I don't have; she asked for a very specific list. I've informed her of this "Hot Chick's get figures easier" method and told her to apply it with every toy store visit. I'm looking forward to see what success she has compared to mine.

OriginalBryGuy, your friend Heather is quite a looker. ;)

JON9000
07-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Is this practice on Deadeye's list of ways to get girls?

FlakMan
07-22-2002, 06:55 PM
I love this thread. Maybe more. My girlfriend still hasn't gotten me my birthday present. *wink*

StoneyFett
07-23-2002, 03:45 AM
I kinda had the same hot chick theory. I already know the answer when I ask if they have anymore stock in the back. So, I tell my girlfriend, who is not HOT, but she's not bad looking either, to go and ask a male employee. It may not always get me what I'm looking for, but at least they make an effort to look. This sucks!:frus:

Chiesa
07-23-2002, 06:48 AM
Seems like something I should really try... It seems like maybe I could even ask for some special discount... If I really do get one at least I know the force is very very strong with my friend :)

OriginalBryGuy... your friend Heather looks alittle like Geri Halliwell...

Cheers :)

OriginalBryGuy
07-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Geri huh? I sort of see it! haha. Yea, she could just about get any figure she wanted. haha..

aikman
07-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Ive never seen people so suprised that hot women can get what they want with little effort.

Nor have I seen so many people 'suprised' that toy store geeks would be interested in doing a favor for a cute girl.

Its not for just toys ya know, ask yourself how many times youve personally treated a hot girl more nice than some ordinary person walking down the street. Im not sure what the psychology of it is though. Is the thought that 'If I let her cut in front of me in line she is gonna want to date me'?

icatch9
07-23-2002, 04:02 PM
This theory of your is an old Sienfeld joke. George says "You never see a gourgous woman ever lift anything over a pound." This is true in most cases in real life. In this particular episode of Sienfeld, Jerry is dateing one of the best looking women on the show ever. Anyway, she get everything for him. Tickest to a sold out movie, money back for bad cigars, and she even gets him out of a speeding ticket when he was going 100 mph.

So, hot chicks on average have life just a little nicer than the rest of us. Us men are dumb animals for doing this. It's no wounder women think they can own us. It's because all to often we act like this. We twist our necks like owls to see some nice breasts, we stair mindlessley at half nude women on the TV. We are pretty much hypnotized (sp?) by any good looking woman.

The reason for this??? Is because all to aften we are thinking with the torpedo operator ;) rather than the tactical officer :).

Women know this and use it against us all the time :( :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-23-2002, 11:09 PM
I don't think that you need a smoking chick to ask for figures, rather, just a chick period. I am not lucky enough to have a girlfriend (sob!) but there are other women in my life, like mothers. She found me an AT-ST w/Paploo for my birthday in March, at a time they were just released and were hard to find. She asked a TRU employee if they had any of them after checking the Star Wars aisle and not finding them. The employee went to the backroom and got one, claiming that "it was the last one he had."

I know that they would not have done that for me. I have asked them if they have certain figures in stock as nice as possible, and they never ever look in back. I am very nice when I ask but that still doesn't help. I guess having a female companion with you does help a lot.