PDA

View Full Version : Dumped, not pumped!

Sith Worm
09-24-2001, 01:31 AM
I can't wait for LOTR! I have this great urge to see the Rings so bad and for some reason not A big of an urge for Epi.II. I don't know why i'm just not that excited anymore for some reason I feel as if it has been cheapened by the title and all the clone madness does any feel the same? I bet as it gets closer I will get more pumped, but for now pretty dumped!

GNT
09-24-2001, 04:00 AM
If I didn't know the script and characters,locations etc I'd be pumped to see the movie but I know to much about it!

evenflow
09-24-2001, 10:57 AM
I dont so i am pumped.

Sith Worm
09-24-2001, 07:31 PM
I agree GNT I know way to much and i'm kicking myself for reading the spoilers! All this clone madness is to much for me. I believe as A friend of mine told me that origanly 'ol George intended the "Clone wars" to be two wars close to one another with the same people fighting against each other. (WWI and WWII), but over the years the clones ideas just got taken over buy the fans and like George was kind of forced to make it this way. I may be tottaly wrong but who knows I would have liked it better without all the clone crap!

ThomasLane
10-01-2001, 09:21 PM
And I thought I was the only one who was dying for LOTR and a little tired of SW. Did you catch the latest "Fellowship" trailer? Awesome.

Obi-Don
10-05-2001, 03:52 AM
I'm not letting the title bother me and the spoilers don't really get me either.The spoilers in fact get me more interseted in the movie and make me want to see it more. I'm looking forward to LOTR myself.

The 'Xir
10-08-2001, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I don't believe anything about the new movie until I see it on screen!
I also, am very excited about the LOTR trilogy, I bought the book trilogy long ago but 'till this day still have never read it! I've been trying lately, to prepare myself for the movie, but I never seem to have that much time

ThomasLane
10-08-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
[BI also, am very excited about the LOTR trilogy, I bought the book trilogy long ago but 'till this day still have never read it! I've been trying lately, to prepare myself for the movie, but I never seem to have that much time [/B]
You might just want to hold off on reading the books, at least until after you've seen the first movie. That way you won't go in with any pre-conceived notions or unrealistic expectations. I would watch the movie first, then read the book afterwards. However, "Fellowship" is an excellent read, and should soak up your evenings for the better part of a week.

Rollo Tomassi
10-12-2001, 11:08 AM
I think you might be pumped BECAUSE you saw the trailer for LOTR and nothing yet for AOTC. Well, that's all about to change. G.Lu confirmed that the trailer for Episode II will be on Disney/Pixars Monsters Inc. So if you are truly wishing to remain "spoiler free" and want to see Monster's Inc. then be sure to show up AFTER the coming attractions. Consider this fair warning...

And will talk about being "pumped" after you see the trailer for AOTC...just in a different forum...;)

ThomasLane
10-14-2001, 11:18 PM
Actually, the reason I'm so pumped for LOTR is that it's been my favorite story of all time, and they're finally going to make a movie out of it (the cartoons don't count, mainly because they suck!). Sorry Mr. Lucas, but I love Tolkien's classic just a little bit more.

I was planning on taking the kids to Monsters Inc. anyway, so now it comes with a bonus. My four-year-old is a Star Wars nut too, so I'm sure he'll be bouncing out of his seat when the Ep. 2 trailer comes on.

Eternal Padawan
10-22-2001, 03:09 PM
harry potter , Lord of the Rings, and AOTC are gonna rock. I'm a little leery of SpiderMan. That one better not suck.

master jedi
10-22-2001, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
Actually, the reason I'm so pumped for LOTR is that it's been my favorite story of all time, and they're finally going to make a movie out of it (the cartoons don't count, mainly because they suck!). Sorry Mr. Lucas, but I love Tolkien's classic just a little bit more.

Balsphemer!

ThomasLane
10-24-2001, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
harry potter , Lord of the Rings, and AOTC are gonna rock. I'm a little leery of SpiderMan. That one better not suck.

Who is producing this movie? If it's the same people that did the last Batman movie, I'll stay far away from it.

Originally posted by master jedi

Balsphemer!

Ouch! If it weren't for Ep.1, SW would probably hold position #1 in my heart. I liked the movie, but it just wasn't "Star Wars" (or "A New Hope" as it is now called). And the "beam me over a blood sample so I can get a midichlorian count" crap belongs in Star Trek.

Jedi Clint
10-24-2001, 02:13 PM
I don't know who is producing Spiderman, but Sam Raimi (Evil Dead Trilogy, Darkman, etc) is directing it.

I have a question for those avoiding spoilers.

Do you consider officially released information to be spoiler info, or just anything beyond that?

JediTricks
10-25-2001, 09:51 AM
Yes, even stuff from the official site which is confirmed is still spoiler material.

The Spidey flick is being produced by Ian Bryce and Laura Ziskin, exec produced by Marvel boys Avi Arad and Stan Lee, and being put out by Sony/Columbia. Laura Ziskin has produced some of my choices for "weaker films of the past 25 years" - What About Bob, Hero, Pretty Woman, and DOA '88 - but the other producer, Ian Bryce, has produced some pretty good stuff - Almost Famous, Saving Private Ryan, Speed, and The Beverly Hillbillies film from '93. However, Bryce also wears "associate producer" credits for Batman Returns, Howard the Duck, and... ugh... Ewoks: Battle for Endor, so we could be in for a real mixed bag. I hope Spider-Man doesn't suffer from the same over-indulgencies that Batman Returns did.

ThomasLane
10-25-2001, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
and... ugh... Ewoks: Battle for Endor,

Hey, don't knock that movie. My kids absolutely love it (though they don't care much for the first "Ewok Adventure" movie)

Eternal Padawan
10-28-2001, 10:33 AM
I'm not too worried about who produces a film. Aside from Bruckheimer, there aren't a lot of BrandName producers who name suggests a certain type of product. The same thing goes for the studio. Sony (Columbia and Tristar) have had their share of hits and misses just like every other studio. Sony hasn't "sucked" any comic book franchises yet the way Warner Bros has so I'm optimistic. I'm just leery of Raimi's directing and the stars performances. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sam Raimi. Who doesn't like Army of Darkness and Quick and the Dead? I even liked For love of the game and I hate baseball movies. But his quirky "low budget" feel to films might not work on a slick polished film like Spiderman. It makes me nervous trying to mesh those two styles. And I also thoroughly enjoy Tobey McGuire, but can he really pull off that snappy, comic patter that defines Peter Parker? Tobey always comes off as ultra laid back and almost catatonic in his films. Again, it will be tough to mesh those two styles. Kirsten Dunst, I'm indifferent to. Unless you find the absolute perfect person for that role (and she's not it) all the young hollywood chicks are pretty much interchangeable in that role. Dafoe will be subservient to his makeup (anyone remember Tim Roth in POTA? Waste of talent...) Add some spotty CGI(like in the trailer) and cutting half the effects shots out of the film halfway through production and you've got yourself a dubious project. I'm not saying I'm not hoping for the best, but I am preparing to be let down.

And now we've got Ben Affleck miscast in Daredevil and boring Ang Lee( am I the only person who realized Crouching Tiger Hidden Wires was overrated??) directing the Hulk. We are running out of viable frachises. I can't wait for Iron Man...

Sith Worm
10-28-2001, 11:09 AM
Well hello boys being the that started this forum, I now have A tottaly diffrent view of this little situation. Once again I have read to many spoilers this time for LOTRs and I am very unhappy now I understand that to make A movie from A book that you have to cut out alot and change some things and throw in some new stuff, but form the trailers I have seen and things I have read they are cutting the greatest books of all time to shreds this Liv Tyler crap come on those that have read the books she is playing Arwen,Elrond's daughter yeah the one thats in the book for two sentences! On one trailer I saw here defending Frodo in the ford from the Nazgul. Come on what the crap! the whole point of that scene is to show you how powerful Frodo is even though small. He had to escape form them even with the knife in him, but now its all right Arwen will save you and you can be A pansy! Bring on Episode II Bring on the clones Star Wars is the best and forgive me for saying negative things about our beloved story now pumped and kinda dumped for LOTRs. I gues i'll have to watch the movie for the movie and totally forget the books for a couple of hours.....

Eternal Padawan
10-28-2001, 11:42 AM
They cut out the minor character that rescues Frodo in the river and carries his tiny butt back to Elf town and replaced it with Liv "we paid a lot of money for her, maybe we ought to use her in the picture" Tyler. But I've read quite a bit that since they started shooting and editing, they are getting closer and closer to the story than what they originally screenplayed and Tyler is being edited out more and more especially in the first film. I still don't see how she is in the second film's climactic seige at [whatever it's called]...

Sith Worm
10-31-2001, 07:22 PM
Eternal one, that would be Helm's Deep. You bring the most encouraging news for LOTR I have heard in A long time I so pray that they cut out the Liv at the ford seen and do it right! Being the hard core Tolkien fan that I am I don't mind Tom cut out and such,but to add stuff makes me really peaved. Like Lurtz I don't mind because they are making A whole lot of nameless characthers in to one "Lurtz" as easy as Liv is to look at she is only mentioned in the Fellowship twice and of course at the end of ROTK, but never in the TT Elrond's sons whom play A huge part in the end aren't even at Helm's Deep why would she be there? Anyways thanks for the info Eternal one!

Eternal Padawan
11-01-2001, 08:44 AM
I think the deal behind Arwen's 'expanded' use in the films is at the end of the third book, they kind of have a condensed version of what she and the others were doing during the battles. I believe she led an army from the north and Tolkeins original plan (before he died) was to go back and write supplemental novels like "Arwen's Tale" and stuff. He had this whole history planned out in his mind before he wrote it. That' where his son got the fodder for three more books. Anyway, I think the movie's producers are getting liberal with that paragraph from the last book and turning it into a bigger part in the film.

Sith Worm
11-01-2001, 04:45 PM
The thing that I am guessing is that Peter wanted to give Arwen a little background before the ending just poof and everyone would think who the heck is this chick! But to carry Frodo across the ford insted of himself having to will himself across sucks, but as you have before mentioned hopfully that is going to be changed!

Eternal Padawan
11-01-2001, 07:17 PM
Frodo never carried himself across the ford. Glorfindel came and picked his scrawny tush out of the water after the Wraiths smashed his sword in two and knocked him down. He passed out and woke up in Rivendell. So they replaced Glorfindel (a minor character) with Arwen (another Minor character who happens to be played by Liv Tyler.)

bigbarada
11-05-2001, 08:17 PM
If I was dumped about Ep2 before, I am definitely pumped now after seeing "Breathing!"

I am starting to fear that all these LOTR trailers are giving too much away. There's been what, three of them so far? Two have been for the entire Trilogy however only show scenes from Fellowship as that's the only movie completed. So in essence we've gotten three Fellowship trailers. Does anyone else think this is too much?

master jedi
11-05-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Two have been for the entire Trilogy however only show scenes from Fellowship as that's the only movie completed.

Actually they pretty much have the entire trilogy completed. They're just releasing them a year apart. It's the same thing they're oding with the Matrix sequels.

Sith Worm
11-06-2001, 07:40 PM
Eternal one Glorfindel was behind Frodo with Aragorn and the others on the other side of the ford the Wraiths were between frodo and the group. Frodo was on Glorfindel's horse and fell off after the ford swallows up the wraith's Frodo does get himself across!, but agree with you about Arwen Glorfindel switch in the cartoons they made the Arwen and Legalos switch. Glorfindel just gets no respect!

bigbarada
11-06-2001, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
Actually they pretty much have the entire trilogy completed. They're just releasing them a year apart. It's the same thing they're oding with the Matrix sequels.

I knew this, however all of the shot's we've seen in the trailers thus far have been from Fellowship.

master jedi
11-06-2001, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I knew this, however all of the shot's we've seen in the trailers thus far have been from Fellowship.

I know. It just wouldn't make sense if they put scenes from the other movies into the trailer for the first one and they're released a year apart.

ThomasLane
11-10-2001, 06:13 PM
Actually, they show a shot of mount Doom in one (or maybe both) of the trailers, but they never actually get within view of the mountain until the beginning of the 3rd book, so they may be showing a little beyond "Fellowship".

After seeing the teasers for Ep.2, I'm getting pretty excited for Star Wars again. The "Breathing" trailer was ok, but the "Mystery" trailer was awesome.

Sith Worm
11-10-2001, 07:41 PM
Hello boys I think there is going to be alot of shots of Mt. Doom and Gollum and such while Gandalf is telling Frodo the story of the ring. In A couple of the trailers I have seen Sauron himself with the ring on with A huge army of orcs. This can only be from A flashback because Sauron doesn't ever have the ring in the books, except in the stories of Gandalf. Only about a month left can't wait I haven't been able to see any trailers, but as Thomas said I too am also getting pumped once again for Epi. II and I am glad for it! I was having an out of body experince not being excited about something Star Wars.

,but never the less bring on the ring!

Co Jo-Da
11-11-2001, 03:05 AM
LotR looks very cool and it would be an added bonus to have a AotC Trailer with but that probably won't happen, too very bad...

Rollo Tomassi
11-11-2001, 11:15 AM
I think the trailers might be "giving to much away" because you've read the books and recognize all the scenes. I say it's a credit to PJ and co. that they've recreated Middle Earth so faithfully that when you see a split second of it on screen you recognize the locale and that part of the book. I love the shot of the mountain pass in the snowstorm. And the hobbit town looks just like I imagined it would be. This movie is gonna rule.

ThomasLane
11-11-2001, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
In A couple of the trailers I have seen Sauron himself with the ring on with A huge army of orcs. This can only be from A flashback because Sauron doesn't ever have the ring in the books, except in the stories of Gandalf.

I also noticed Sauron in the trailer and came to that same conclusion, but it looks to me like the director screwed up big-time there. If Sauron was wearing the ring, why was he visible?

ThomasLane
11-11-2001, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
LotR looks very cool and it would be an added bonus to have a AotC Trailer with but that probably won't happen, too very bad...

I heard (rumor) that there was going to be a new Ep.2 trailer for LotR. I guess time will tell. I don't think people will be walking out after the trailer though. It's nice to see them hooking the trailers up with good movies.

Sith Worm
11-11-2001, 08:45 PM
Thomas in reading the Silmarillion (Tolkien's book that sets up all of middle earth, and A great read to boot!) you learn that Sauron doesn't vanish when wearing the ring. As to you Rollo these movies will rule indeed in all the trailers I can pick out the actually scenes from the books even the quick shot of Balrog's leg when he is setting his foot down only those that know what to look for know of what I am speeking of! The bad part is to see the parts where they are adding stuff like the before mentioned Arwen in the flight to the ford, but I think fans will learn to live with these changes due to the coolness of the flicks! As for Epi.II trailer before the movie, my two favorite things combined...
...have I died and gone to heaven?

El Chuxter
11-12-2001, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Do you consider officially released information to be spoiler info, or just anything beyond that?

I don't consider the trailers spoilers, but a lot of the other stuff on starwars.com is. They need to learn some discretion. I used to go there daily, and I haven't been there for months (aside from my downloading "Mystery" and "Choices") because they like to give too much away.

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
And now we've got Ben Affleck miscast in Daredevil

Please tell me you're joking. What's next, Dennis Miller as Kingpin?

ThomasLane
11-12-2001, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
Thomas in reading the Silmarillion (Tolkien's book that sets up all of middle earth, and A great read to boot!) you learn that Sauron doesn't vanish when wearing the ring.

Thanks for the tip. I actually have that book, but I've never read it. I guess it's time I finally picked it up.

Sith Worm
11-12-2001, 07:42 PM
Thomas you may find at first that the slim is slow starting and not as goog without the Hobbits, but still A good read!

Sith Worm
11-13-2001, 06:57 PM
36 days away can't wait for this bad bad boy!

Sith Worm
11-18-2001, 12:10 PM
Forgive me for my stupidity, I sall the breathing trailer last night and pumped is an understatement the love and excitment is back I should have never thought other wise what ever the name or who is in it this is still Star Wars and is going to be fantastic sorry LOTR Star Wars is still the best bring on the sabers...

Rollo Tomassi
11-19-2001, 10:40 AM
It's Okay Sith Worm, we sympathize. This IS a Star Wars Fansite after all....

Sith Worm
11-20-2001, 07:09 PM
Thank you for your forgivness Rollo I don't know what came over me...

Wolfwood319
11-20-2001, 07:25 PM
Im looking forward to LoTR more because its coming out sooner. Not to mention these were the first books I ever read and enjoyed. I didn't get into SW until a little while after. So for me, I'm more interested in LoTR right now.

I don't like that they added in a lot more Arwen scenes, but I guess they did that because without her, and a few minor characters like the elf queen, there are no female characters in the book. So they had to make some effort, but other than that, its all good.

Did Ben Affleck really get cast as DD?

Sith Worm
11-22-2001, 10:06 AM
Wolf whom is DD?

Rollo Tomassi
11-23-2001, 11:55 AM
Ben Affleck is indeed Daredevil. And their filming it in Los Angeles. What the...?!? With it already having two strikes against it, you wonder why they are bothering to shoot it at all. When this film tanks (and tank it will) everyone will wonder why such a viable property didn't do any business at the box office. Well, it's because the fim makers didn't respect the source material that made them interested in the project to begin with. Both Hulk and Daredevil have hit the turd pile already and only Iron Man is left, but i'm sure they'll ruin that one, too...

Sith Worm
11-24-2001, 02:03 PM
oh.. Daredevil I thought we where still talking about LOTRs Rollo why are you so down about this i heard all good about it. Do you know something I am missing explain if you will...

Rollo Tomassi
11-25-2001, 11:02 AM
Well, they were looking for someone to play ol' Matt Murdock and went thru about every young Hollywood actor you could think of. Ben Affleck said he really wanted to play the role because his good buddy Kevin Smith was writing it at the time. he wanted to do a "Super hero" movie. Well, did the producers jump up and down with joy? No. They tried everything possible to get someone else for the role. Vin Diesel and Edward Norton were two of several intriguing possibilities. Remember, you're not casting a guy in tights. You are casting a blind, orphan, who grows up to be a lawyer. That is a hella interesting character drama without the red tights. The producers didn't think Affleck was right for the part, but since everyone else turned them down (read:weak script/no spcript) they settled on a "name" actor that they didn't feel was right for the part in order to have some semblance of a marketing campaign for a relatively unknown super-hero flick. (Go ahead, ask anyone who DareDevil: The man without fear is. You may have to prod them along...Blind guy? Fights crime? Wears a red suit? None of this ringing a bell? No?) Ben Affleck is entirely miscast and they should have gone with an unknown than Benny. Secondly, since Ben has come on board, he insisted they change the setting to Los Angeles so he doesn't have to move to New York to shoot the film. Pardon me, Mr Academy Award winner Affleck, but Hell's Kitchen is one of the main characters that makes the Daredevil story so great. Apparently, the people who decide which comic movies to do only look at the sales for the books and then they look at the covers. "ooh! A bright red costume. let's make THAT one into a movie. What? Sure Ben, we can set it in Los Angeles so you can still go to rehab. The fans won't mind." Don't get me wrong. I am honestly hoping for the best because DareDevil rocks and if I was going to make a comic book movie, I would choose DareDevil and Iron Man over Spiderman and X-men because they have really rich back stories, but in my opinion, this thing has been mismanaged from the get go in order to pump out another comic film and the in the long run it will suffer and ruin possibly a great franchise and that peeves me to no end....

Sith Worm
11-26-2001, 06:42 PM
Undrestand now, this sucks hard! Edward would have been A good choice. You seem to be in to comics alot to have such strong feelings of discust for Benny boy I can't picture him at all in the suit and don't want to. I never read much DD, but had A million Spideys I can't wait Jon is going to be A killer Goblin slash Osborn. I thought comic movies were going some were good ,but with this news it looks like there is no hope...

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 08:16 PM
LA, ubelievable.

I always thought that DD would transfer relatively easily to the big screen, but oh well. I think another reason Afleck got the part was because of his connection to Kevin Smith, who revived the book in 98'. Even in the TPB of Smith's run, Ben Affleck gives the forward.

I also too am a little disappointed with the Spidey books. The only one I read now is Amazing, mostly because of JMS's writing. His opening story arch was a bit lagging in the end, but other than that, it was good.

Jon is going to be A killer Goblin slash Osborn

I'm not sure what you meant by this, but Willam DaFoe is playing Osborn/G.G.

Rollo Tomassi
11-27-2001, 08:47 AM
I think Ben Affleck is a fine (well...decent) actor. I just think he's wrong for the part of Matt Murdock. In my mind, it will be Ben Affleck is Daredevil!, Not Matt Murdock is Daredevil. Benny just kind of overshadows the whole thing with his image as a Hollywood statusmonger. Somebody like Norton or even an unknown could slip into that role the way Affleck can't and make you believe you are watching Matt Murdock.

And Jon Malkovich dropped out of the Green Goblin role a loooooong time ago SithWorm, a long time ago...

Sith Worm
11-27-2001, 07:21 PM
Crap, I need to stop just going to SSG and check out some other movie sites I had no idea about Jon, thanks for the info about the movie. Even though DaFoe will be killer as well. Yeah the location change is crazy many fans (such as Rollo) will be ticked indeed...

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 08:35 PM
I think Matt Damon would make a fine Matt Murdock/DD. I think overall Damon is a better actor than Affleck. And he looks more the part too.

I also heard that they're interested in Michael Clark Duncan for Kingpin. Now, I know Kingpin is a white guy in the books, but I think Duncan could really play the part. First, he's a good actor, second; he's big enough, and third, he's a known name.

Sith Worm
11-30-2001, 07:07 PM
Agree with you about Duncan. The black white thing wouldn't matter that much in my opinon. The only problem is can he remember how to walk like A human?

Sith Worm
04-18-2002, 04:37 PM
I thought I would bring this old thread back and say now that LOTRs is over (until December) I am really pumped for AOTC its amazing what A few new figs and 3 or 4 trailers will do for you...

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 10:09 AM
I am super pumped for Episode III! Only 1120 days to go!!

And then it will all be over. :(

Wolfwood319
04-19-2002, 10:10 AM
See what you've gone and done...:rolleyes:

When's the DD movie coming out, anyway?

icatch9
04-19-2002, 11:19 AM
I don't know what to think of Ben Aflack as DD. Reminds me of George Looney as Batman. That was horrible casting, and I fear it will be the same with DD. All the actors for X Men hit the nose (as far as I am concerned), and Toby is a good Peter Parker. Why now go down hill w/ DD. If Kevin Smith is writing it shouldn't the story be great? I mean he is brilliant. I don't know we will just have to wait and see.

Oh Sith Worm, I am glad you came around to AOTC. Remember never judge a book by its cover (or title).