PDA

View Full Version : A new Amidala debate.....(?)

brentfett
06-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Don't know if this has ever been discussed before. I was just thinking, how in God's name did Amidala get elected to rule Naboo at such an early age. This is probably in the Episode 1 book somewhere, but I don't remember it. What do y'all think?

master jedi
06-10-2002, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure how she got elected ate the age of 14.

In AotC she says that there were younger queens before her. What I want to know is how young was the youngest queen/ruler of Naboo.

Wookiee
06-11-2002, 02:43 PM
It has been debated elsewhere that it seems strange that a queen should be elected in the first place, but it seems like it would make more sense for someone so young to become queen by lineage rather than by election.

Though maybe the election process on Naboo is very different from what we are used to. Maybe not everyone is allowed to vote, or maybe only certain representatives do the voting, like a more severe version of our electoral college, and they base their voting on family lineage rather than on personal accomplishments or policies. hmmm

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 10:06 PM
I thought in AOTC she said there were NO queens younger than her. I thought that Amidala was elected at age 12 because she was the only candidate after King Verona's untimely death required the hasty election of a new ruler.

Darth Nihilus
06-12-2002, 12:58 AM
"I wasn't the youngest queen ever elected, but looking back I'm not sure I was ready."

Or it went something like that.

Jek Porky 2002
06-29-2002, 03:16 PM
I hate the idea of an elected Queen, it's just silly, really she's just a President or Prime Minister.

Master Goeweins
06-29-2002, 06:26 PM
I am not sure that I like the vote for Queen campaign, but the official reason for electing youth has been stated. The people of Naboo elect youth to leadership positions because of their innocence. They are still untarnished from working for years in a political environment so often fueled by greed. To have a young person as a leader would provide a youthful zeal to do right and good for the people. Anyways, I don't know, I think it was a sideline idea just to have a young actress in a lead role. Appeal to the ticket buying crowd. Lucas cast an 18 Fisher for Leia and created a phenomenon, so why not do it again?

LTBasker
06-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Yep, cast a 14 year old girl as a lead character in a big franchise such as Star Wars to get ticket sales from alot of teenage fans. ;)

Anyone else think Queen Jamilla seemed a little older than 14? I guess it's just who cares to run and who can live up to the responsibility given.

DarthSetnom
07-07-2002, 04:48 AM
Well, master Yoda said something about how wonderful children are... maybe they chose her because she was still pure of heart and not a corrupted experienced lady.