PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of Star Wars products are you into? CLICK ALL THAT YOU BUY

Tycho
06-10-2002, 02:48 PM
So what kind of Star Wars stuff do you like?

There are a lot of different tastes out there in the realm of fandom, and everybody's into different stuff.

What interests you?

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Well, from that list I can only pick the Hasbro action figures and their accessories. Aside from that the only thing I really buy are the WOTC Roleplaying Game books and the videos/DVDs.

I assume that the action figure choice encompasses Legos, MMs, Action Fleet and Playskool sets too right?;)

I also would have picked the Kenner vintage toys, if they were on the list.

jedihunter25
06-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Mostly the action figures and accessories. But lately I've been collecting promotional stuff like the lifesize yoda from Pepsi and the R2-D2 cooler. If the Redwings win the Stanley Cup, my girlfriend has to buy me a real Star Wars pinball machine. GO WINGS!!!

jedi_uk73
06-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Action Figures & Vehicles are my main collecting point, but I collect anything that appeals to me; Books, Autographs, posters, postcards, LEGO, instore offer leaflets, Micro Machines,computer & board games & anything exclusive.

Basically anything and everything.

Rogue II
06-10-2002, 04:34 PM
I only buy 3-3/4" action figures that are from the Classic Trilogy or Classic trilogy related(Yoda, R2...) I buy ships ocassionally, if they are on clearance. The main reason I started collecting again in 1995 was to replace all of the vintage figures I had or never got when I was a kid. I keep it to the CT due to costs and space.

I have been the novels, but I wouldn't say I collect them.

I have some of the Legos, but I somewhat gave up on those.

I play as most of the video games. I have a PC, PS2, and Nintendo 64. I still need to get the podracing and starfighter games. I plan on getting Jedi Outcast and Clone Campaigns soon also.

While I don't collect promotional items, I do have a Qui-Gon Pepsi can from Korea. Most Asian soda cans are shorter and more narrow than US cans.

Now, my wife collects Princess Leia and Queen Amadala dolls. She has all of the Padme/decoy action figures and most of the 12" dolls.

Tycho
06-10-2002, 04:38 PM
I collect the Hasbro 3 3/4" figures and their ships and playsets.

Also the 12".

I'm a big fan of Dark Horse Star Wars comics, especially stories with Quinlan Vos, Vilmah "Villie" Grahrk, and Aayla Secura.

I love Del Ray's New Jedi Order and stories about Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo versus the Yuuzhan Vong. I also like the Essential Guide books.

I thought Jude Watson's books for Scholastic, "the Jedi Apprentice Series" about the young Obi-Wan Kenobi were seriously great!

I trained in martial arts, so I like Hasbro's roleplay lightsabers because I'm always looking to get into a fight with them and I'm pretty rough with the toys, so I like to buy them at a discount.

I don't play a lot of video games, but I'm really looking forward to Star Wars : Bounty Hunter, and I enjoy all Rogue Squadron flight games!

I went out and chased down all the Tri-Restaraunt Groups' character cups during 1999 - the heads like R2D2 from KFC, Watto from Taco Bell, and Yoda from Pizza Hutt. These were some of my favorites from that collection (there's 12).

I have BurgerKing glasses from 1980 and The Empire Strikes Back. I've had them all my life, or at least since 1980 :)

I don't have time for most of the games, but I do like what I've experienced from them and often check out their sourcebooks' artwork and character descriptions. I also collect the main American-release movie posters, but I forgot to put that up as a poll choice and it's kind of late to enter that in their now.

But that about sums up what I collect and what I shop for.

DarthBrandon
06-10-2002, 04:42 PM
I collect the 3 3/4 action figures and their ships. I collect some 12 inch figures and just the movie novels.

Some misc things may be from promotional campaigns and thats it.

Darth_Vader
06-10-2002, 06:04 PM
I collect almost all of those things.
The 3 3/4 in. action figures are my main priority though.

CooLJoE
06-10-2002, 06:41 PM
I collect Action Figures, the CCG cards, Movies (although its not a choice on the poll), video games (Jedi Outcast rules!), and I even got the Canadian Cereal Box promotion with the Clone Trooper Helmet (but thats about it for cereal promotions).

stormie
06-10-2002, 07:04 PM
It's all about the toys for me, specifically the action figures, playsets, and vehicles. Mostly just the 3 3/4 in. stuff, but I've been known to get some of the 12 in. stuff as well...oh, and anything Stormtrooper related!

stillakid
06-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Mostly action figures and related ships and playsets. No 12" as they all look sucky, except for the Biker Scout which was awesome.

I get all the novels from the actual films but don't get into the EU stuff. I also get the "Art of" books as well as other "illustrated" manuals and things.

Sometimes I'll get a promotional item or two, but am not really into them.

I have a couple of expensive repro masks.

Need: storage and display space.

I forgot to add that I try to get a "teaser" one sheet and the "A" release one-sheet.

bigpimpjones
06-10-2002, 07:11 PM
I am all about the action figures, for sure. Honestly, I may need to build an annex to my house to fit future action figure purchases (on a side note, does anyone live in the Philadelphia area? There is a guy in South jersey who built an annex on to his house specifically to house his Star Wars stuff, and is making the annex look like a Star Wars vehicle, although I can't remember which one. Maybe he's even a poster here. My idol!)

I like some of the Star Wars comics, I'm really into Star Wars Tales from dark Horse, I dig that it's done by a lot of high-profile comic creators.

The video games are pretty cool, although again they can be kind of hit and miss. Just wake me when I get to be Jango Fett, dig? And oh yeah, I'm still bitter that you had to BEAT 'Jedi Power Jumping' before you could play as Darth Maul. drat!

I have to admit, I'm becoming slowly addicted to cereal premiums and fast food glasses and stuff. Maybe it's just me getting older, but they're climbing up my chart for sure.

Play on, players. Damn Cool joe, you already have the Clone Trooper helmet? Lucky dog.

Tycho
06-10-2002, 07:22 PM
I admire JediHunter25's collection with some of the life-size stuff.

If I could afford it, I'd have gotten Yoda and the R2D2 Cooler too.

I also would have liked Darth Maul, and the R2D2 / C-3PO.

I think they (Don Post was it?) also did Darth Vader (he's electronic), and Boba Fett, possibly some stormtroopers.

I'd dig them all, but I have some obsession to get life size Royal Guards to protect my collection! I think I read or saw that someone was making these, but maybe it never came to pass or it was only a maniquinn dressed up to model the Don Post Helmet. I don't know, but that might be a cheaper way to get them - if anyone knows where you can buy mannequinns. Nevermind though - I first need to finance a house that's large enough and then move in. And then, *maybe* I'll have room for them!

the last jedi
06-10-2002, 07:27 PM
well I would say Iam addicted, But then I read other coms and say well not totally. I really only collect 3 1/4 figs. I do have some 12 inch and some other little things. I do have every fig from 88 to present and all my 95 to know are diplayed in my lower level its pretty cool. The ships I collect also but with in reason. If the price tag is not reasonable I dont buy it. Like the new FAO swartz shuttle 150 is just way to much. if you look at the other exclusive ships for 39. Ok enough some 12" but all 3 1/4".

bigpimpjones
06-10-2002, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah, the Tycho post reminded me: I like the Don Post replica masks (they run from $50-$85). I have a couple - Boba Fett and the Stormtrooper, although the Stormtrooper one is difficult to put on and wear (especially to work, or out socially). The day after Halloween's always a nice day to add to the collection, piece by piece!

You go Jedi hunter! That's a fat reward for a Red Wings Stanley cup. I think the life-size stuff is cool too; if money were no object there would definitely be a life-size Boba Fett or a Han in Carbonite up in this place.

-BPJ

chewiegurl1138
06-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I buy mostly the 3 3/4 inch figs and the legos (mostly). of course if it even says star wars on it, i will buy it! I buy way too much promotional stuff, though, but they're probably the cheapest and easiest things to get....

plasticfetish
06-10-2002, 10:22 PM
I still have my figures from when I was a kid ... I remember the total thrill of opening that early bird set ... that's pretty much what it's all about today ... getting hold of that feeling again.
I have a 4 1/2 year old son who's just getting to know the stories ... It's both weird and cool having to explain the characters to him or playing with the figures with him.
It's a bit of a time warp.

sooo ... I'm interested in anything "fun" ... if it's within the budget. The great thing is though, not everything is super expensive.

The new cereal boxes were a kick for me ... a cheap thrill + little marshmallows shaped like yoda ... you can't beat that. I suppose it's that kind of silly junk that I love the most ... Darth Maul toothbrush ... hah, did you see that guys teeth? I have a vintage Chewy Halloween costume ... it's plastic-y and weird. Oh, and my "starwars" and "r2-d2" belt buckles.
Oh yeah ... the PEZ! Eating candy from Jango Fett's neck is always fun.

I want all of the old SOAKIES! (someday.)

The 3 3/4" figures are and have always been great. Little pocket sized friends ... and now I can watch my son thrash his and leave little weapons all over the house ... no bare feet on the battle field. (I think the new magnet features are brilliant.)
My army of Darth Vaders is growing!
When vehicles go on sale ... ohhh and they do ... then I pick them up also.

The 12" figures have always been cool to me ... I still have my old C-3PO (or was it "See-Threepio" ?) ... those figures were really special back then ... I've picked up some of the newer ones ... especially figures like IG-88 or others that I couldn't or didn't get as a kid. I'm looking forward to a Count Dooku figure ... how/where else can you get a Christopher Lee action figure like that? Now I'll be able to act out some Hammer horror classics with the help of my Tarkin 12". (I will admit, the new Obiwan's face looks like a police sketch of a serial killer though ... kinda like a creepy drifter or something.)

I'll play the Gamecube games (buy 'em used at a discount!) ... as soon as I break down and buy a Gamecube. Until then I will continue to enjoy ESB for Atari 2600.

The LEGOS are the greatest toys ever made. The only toys I can buy ... spend way to much money on and not feel too guilty about. (Aaaah ... and Lego Land is just down the freeway!)

DarthWahu
06-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Have to posess all the figures and all the comics as well as all the books do I

DarthWahu
06-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Also as many of the LEGOs and as many vehicles as LadyWahu will allow.

darth chuck
06-10-2002, 11:14 PM
As some of you have mentioned, storage space is the key limiting factor for many collectors. I try to limit myself to just the 3 3/4" figures, and the ships, etc. that come with the exclusive figs, but even so, I am still running out of space. I have half of my collection in boxes at my parents' home in SC and the other half with my family in KY. When I retire from the Army, I will need an extra room to store my collection. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve the space problem?

jedihunter25
06-10-2002, 11:16 PM
You go Jedi hunter! That's a fat reward for a Red Wings Stanley cup. I think the life-size stuff is cool too; if money were no object there would definitely be a life-size Boba Fett or a Han in Carbonite up in this place.

Thanks Tycho and bigpimpjones. The Wings got their third winning game tonight, all they have to do is win one more and the next game is on home ice. It's funny becauseI'm a BIG Redwings fan (grew up in Detroit) and my girlfriend hates them. The very first game of the season (back in Oct.) I said that they were going to win the cup and my girlfriend said "No their not, I'll bet you". So we made this bet that if they get it- she owes me a real SW pinball machine,if they lose- she gets a weekend at a spa resort. Now shes crying. I'd love to get a lifesize Han in Carbonite, but it's on top of my dream list. I'm still kicking myself for not geting one when they were selling them for $600 back a few years ago. Now you can't find them and if you do, it's probally $2,500 on Ebay like the one that's on there now. Another problem that I have is room and it's becoming a BIG problem. I live in a two bedroom condo and I need a house. But I can't get a house becuase I buy too much SW.I don't know what to do when EP.3 comes out and if I do win the bet, where am I going to put this huge pinball machine. I'll find the space:D

jedihunter25
06-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by darth chuck
As some of you have mentioned, storage space is the key limiting factor for many collectors. I try to limit myself to just the 3 3/4" figures, and the ships, etc. that come with the exclusive figs, but even so, I am still running out of space. I have half of my collection in boxes at my parents' home in SC and the other half with my family in KY. When I retire from the Army, I will need an extra room to store my collection. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve the space problem?
I solved alot of my problems by stacking 12" figs and building shelves.

jeffonthego
06-11-2002, 12:40 AM
As of this post, ONLY 30% of people who voted indicate that they buy the figures/toys. So 70% of the people, who do buy some sort of Star Wars paraphenalia, don't buy the figures/toys?!

Find that very surprising, considering this site is mostly focussed on the figures/toys. Anyone else find this odd?

Tycho
06-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Since this is a multi-choice allowed poll, the percentages don't mean anything. I'll ask JediTricks if he can stop them from displaying somehow. I'll look through my editing options myself too.

The fact that only 4 people or so who voted did not say they collected action figures, and it says how many people voted at the bottom in the totals row, says that it's more like 99% of the people who come here that collect action figures.

Yeah. At the time I'm posting this, 490 have voted, and 486 of the people say they collect the figures. That's 99% of the respondents for sure!

UPDATE: There was no way for me to turn the percentages off. Just ignore them. They don't mean much.

Except I think you could say that 30% MORE of our readers are into action figures than anything else.

jeffonthego
06-11-2002, 01:42 AM
Thanks for that clarification, it sure didn't seem right.

Didn't notice the vote breakdown numbers, that clarifies it. Maybe you can just put in a simple formula to calculate each percentage individually off the each category's vote total.

Regardless, thanks for the reply.

Darth Cruel
06-11-2002, 09:41 AM
For now, I am mainly collecting the action figures/ships/playsets in the 3 3/4, 6, and 12" lines. Every day I get closer to my plan of having the Imperial Bunker from Endor replicated in my yard to use as a place to display my figures and to use as a "collector's clubhouse". When that plan comes to fruition I intend to start buying movie props to display there as well. A couple of Stormtrooper uniforms to display guarding the door, A weapons rack/display inside...it will be the subject of the coolest collection photos on the 'net.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by jedihunter25
If the Redwings win the Stanley Cup, my girlfriend has to buy me a real Star Wars pinball machine. GO WINGS!!!

Don't you mean when? :)

I'm really into the 3 3/4" figures and somewhat into the vehicles and accessories. If it's a cool ship or playset and the price is right I'll buy it.

I've also started picking up the new TCG game, more for the playability than the actual cards. It's a pretty fun game once you get all the rules down.

I used to get all the books, but I stopped with the last two Zahn ones. I just can't get into the NJO series at all.

I go after some of the promo items too. I have all the KFC, PH, TB toys from EP1 and used to have all the promo EP1 toy posters from TRU that they had on display in their windows. I've cooled it down for EP2 just because of the $ factor. I am going after the Cheetos little puzzle thing. I finally got the Gold Clonetrooper piece and just need a few others.

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Yeah, no way to turn the percentages off... "Aww, cannot get your ship out, eh heh heh!" :D

I found it interesting that some things I collect were in choices with things I don't (i.e., I collect pewter models, but not plates; I collect toys, but not models) while other things were broken up that I thought could easily have gone together (i.e., comics, novels, and scholastic books), but that's just my personal taste, I'm not running this poll so I picked the things that best fit my collecting choices. I voted for these:

- Action figures, models, toys, and accessories
- Master Replicas Star Wars weapons
- Star Wars roleplay weapons and accessories
- Star Wars video games and arcade action
- collector grade plates and / or pewter models

Then there are 2 that I wish had voting options, though only 1 has any future:

- SW Riddell Mini-Helmets (I wish that line had continued, the close-out prices gave me a real opportunity to enjoy these)
- SW Reference/Technical Books (such as the Essential Guides, Visual Dictionaries, Incredible Cross-Sections, and others like those, many of which I really get into, but didn't have a listing for me to vote for)

Interestingly, I have only 1 Star Wars model these days, the die cast Naboo Fighter (man I wish they had done die cast models of more ships, this thing is sharp!) and never really collected models at all. I collect 4" figures and vehicles, 12" figures, Lego sets, Micro Machines and other Galoob-brand Star Wars toys, Hasbro's roleplay weapons and accessories.

I also have a few Pewter vehicles, some Star Wars video games, but I don't consider myself really "collecting" those, and while I don't actually own any authentic props (but I have 2 non-authentic lightsabers ;)) I want to buy a few Master Replicas pieces.

Tycho
06-11-2002, 06:40 PM
JediTricks has pointed to some obvious flaws in my poll choices, but they are slanted by my interests I suppose.

However, I've found that not everyone into:

Books also read comics and vice-versa.

The Scholastic Jedi Apprentice books are found in a whole other area of major book sellers such as Barnes & Nobel since they are aimed at the teenage audience, but are being found to appeal to many adults.

EU is a known interest of mine and I'm familiar with various aspects of fandom that goes with it. Such as the nuances of who likes what in these categories.

But like lumping those together would be JediTricks personal taste, I felt that the non-toy highly craftsmanned pieces like Pewter Replicas and the Collector Plates sort of catered to the same kind of collector. One who likes to display non-flat art that holds a more processed tangible aspect to it (versus paper or canvas).

I might have lumped posters and collector magazines, as well as SW Insider magazines into another category, but quite literally this discussion has lent us 5 more categories than the big list of 12 or so I already provided.

Next JediTricks talked about models, Legos, Micromachines, 12", and the regular assortment, I sort of addressed as Toys. It could be said that you PLAY with all of these things: you must build the models and the Legos, the other items are also intended to be played with. So the TOY category fits them. Certainly the MicroMachines are more appropriate to play with than any gold-plated Pewter Starship Replicas (which are attached to their stands in most cases I believe). So I think a separate poll would be more appropriate to ask whether people collect just Hasbro Toys, or Lego and Hasbro Jr. toys as well since 3 3/4" Figures and 12" have more in common with Legos than they do with cereal boxes, shampoo, toothbrushes, or comics and books. But the term "Star Wars literature" could mean the Insider or Scholastic's vintage storybooks we had - with read-a-long records even - or even the Marvel Star Wars comics. I chose the 3 biggest categories being marketed today, as that would be the more common of purchases in modern times for reasons directly related to availability.

Now Del-Rey does publish the Essential Guide books. You could take that to mean those, or more likely prequel novels like "Before the Storm" or the universe that is the New Jedi Order.

DK does the Incredible Cross-Sections and I love those books too. Unfortunately, JediTricks is right, I didn't offer a choice for this, and if we do a poll for Star Wars literature in the future, we'll definitely have to address this because the books are so popular.

As to the Ridell Helmets, wow! What a thing to miss! I suppose they would fit the Pewter Miniature / Collector Plates category because they are not parts of costumes you can wear, and they are not toys. However, there is a significantly low level of interest in these great collectibles as expressed on this site for that kind of higher-end collectible, but we can't know that for certain on the other hand, because they were not specifically listed.

There is definitely a significantly higher interest in video games which it would seem a LOT of people are interested in, and surprisingly to me - promotional items, which a poll on might be in good order.

So to wrap this up, it was not easy picking the categories, but I did my best without putting too much time into it.

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Er... Tycho, I mentioned Lego, MM, and 12" in a PRIVATE message to you. ;)

Tycho
06-11-2002, 08:10 PM
My mistake. But don't worry. I won't tell anyone that you collect the Legos! ;)

You have my word. It will be our little secret, OK?

I won't disclose TWELVE INCHES of that private message to me.

You can count your MicroMachines on it. :D

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Action figures and promo items. :D

SNAYSON
06-12-2002, 10:02 AM
I collect all the SW 3 3/4 figures and vehicles.

I started to complete/collect the vintage SW figures & vehicles. (stuff my mom wouldn't buy for me)

I collect and read the comics and novels

I don play too much of the video games like i use to but i do like galactic battleground and rebellion.

I onlyhave 2 hasbro 12" figures (i don't get them cause they look horrible - have you seen the 12" boba fett?)(although the AOTC
12" figures are better than the POTF2 12" figs)

i do collect the marmit 12" SWfigures! ( 12" boba fett is awesome!)(Same goes for the tie fighter pilot , storm trooper and sand trooper)(i don't have the AT AT driver yet)

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Man, I remember when 12" Boba Fett first came out, we went crazy for that one, him and Stormtrooper were like the big-time for us... now I'm a bit shocked at how Hasbro got away with such weak designs. ;)

Tycho
06-13-2002, 05:05 AM
JT, for some reason I thought of my vintage 12" Boba Fett and how much I liked him. Remember the missle had a grappling hook thread on it and you could look through a hole in the back of his head and pretend to use the rangefinder?

This has nothing to do with anything in this thread. But JT's post caused me to think about that figure for a moment here....

OK - I'm recovered. Sort of....

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 12:51 AM
No, I don't remember, because I've never seen one in person. :( But it sounds like a cool toy. The modern 12" figs have been a real rollercoaster ride, but I still like almost every one I bought (and that's almost every one!) even though some have... less than sterling qualities. ;)

You know what's amazing me? The price of some of those Riddell mini-helmets on ebay lately, IMO, every collector should have one set because they're THAT good, but some are selling for over $100 now. It's the same with Action Fleet.... everything I collect is going "vintage" :eek:

Tycho
06-14-2002, 03:25 AM
Do we have pics up of the Ridell mini-helmets? Where are they on the site?

I'm sure with our new picture archives it would be easy enough to find them, so treat that as a rhetorical question actually.

But do we pics of all that were made? Do they still make them? Are there new ones coming out? (Jango Fett would be an obvious candidate, as well as some Clone Troopers)

And where do you buy them?

Rogue II
06-14-2002, 07:37 AM
I saw a mini helmets of Vader for $30 and C-3PO for $25 at kbtoys.com

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 02:08 AM
Pics - I don't know, these existed before I became an editor. Probably the old MISC features (which is still there).

Though a TIE Pilot one was in the works, the line ended after 5 helmets (4 and 1 head technically). Too bad too, because these are great quality collectibles at a good price and had more potential.

I don't know where to find 'em anymore, Rogue II mentioned where I got 3 of mine, but apparently, Stormtrooper and Fett are hard to get ahold of now for a decent price.

Tycho
06-15-2002, 12:31 PM
Think I recall the Ridell helmets by memory now:

Stormtrooper
Vader
Fett
Luke's X-wing
C-3PO

Did I get that right? :)

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 06:16 PM
Yup, Vader originally cost like $85 and the rest were like $60, but once they went to clearance, they were a super-affordable bargain (though I think they're easily worth $35-$40 no matter what). The helmets all have interior details; 3PO's eyes are on a motion sensor and light-up when you walk by; the X-wing pilot helmet has a retractable visor; Fett's helmet rangefinder is movable; and Vader's helmet comes apart in 3 pieces just like the film version. All the helmets are sturdily secured to their stands via a ball-and-cup attachment at the top of each helmet (and inside the bottom of 3PO's neck) and are totally removable. I wanted to see more helmets, like an Endor Rebel trooper helmet, a Scout trooper helmet, a B-wing pilot helmet, an ROTJ A-wing pilot helmet, a snowtrooper helmet, a royal guard helmet, a Boushh helmet... there are so many possiblities here really.

Tycho
06-17-2002, 01:46 AM
Sounds cool. And if they did C-3PO, I'd imagine some of the droid bounty hunters are possible: IG-88 and 4-LOM.

They might've been pretty darn kuhl!

Obi-Don
06-22-2002, 05:15 AM
The toys and books are my biggest thing. As a kid I never had that much and always wanted them. Now that i'm all grown up[so to speak] I buy them when money permits. The books ,I got into and can't put down. I love the fact that the SW universe can go on.

chubbychicken
06-29-2002, 06:47 PM
i'm only interested in the figures

Jedi Juice
06-30-2002, 10:47 PM
I mainly buy the 3 3/4" figures, but I do collect a few 12" figures too. I even have a few video games that are to my liking.

Needles
07-09-2002, 10:45 AM
figure,legos for me,and cereal boxes.there the best to me any way,oh is Count Dooku with Flipping platform rare?

Needles
07-09-2002, 10:48 AM
12 inch Figs dont amuse me,I have a couple,but they suck

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 02:54 AM
I'm into all that stuff except really the comics.