PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5: 1st Season DVD Box Set Confirmed for Fall!!

Beast
06-10-2002, 04:10 PM
I know there is a strong following from quite a few people here, of the Babylon 5 series. And alot of people mentioning, they wished the series was out on DVD. Well, good news guys, J. Michael Straczynski stepped forward to confirm that Warner Bros. and himself are currently working on Season 1, for release this fall. Here is the info from TheDigitalbits. :)

Good news today for you Babylon 5 fans. News that the series was in production for DVD leaked via the rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated newsgroup group, so creator/executive producer J. Michael Straczynski this weekend confirmed that Warner and company are working on the first season of the TV series for DVD release this fall. Here's a quote:

"Season One will be out in a boxed set this Fall, and they're going to be including at minimum two commentaries from me, probably on Signs and Portents and Chrysalis (it's a matter of how much time and energy I can give to it given that there's no fees involved and I'm in the midst of Jeremiah), and if possible, Babylon Squared, maybe Sky Full of Stars. They'd also like to film an on-camera intro by me (but I guess folks will buy it anyway, even with that particular horror included). They're pulling together a lot of stuff on this release so that there are plenty of extras this time around, now that the value of the DVDs has been shown by the first release."

Should be very cool indeed. We'll have to wait for Warner's official announcement for the complete details. I might not have cared for Harry Potter, but I have to give Warner a LOT of credit - they've got some great stuff in the works these days. Thanks to Bits reader Geruk G. for the heads up.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I know there is a strong following from quite a few people here, of the Babylon 5 series. And alot of people mentioning, they wished the series was out on DVD. Well, good news guys, J. Michael Straczynski stepped forward to confirm that Warner Bros. and himself are currently working on Season 1, for release this fall.

Great news! I'm a huge B5 fan so this is a wonderful thing to hear! I know MJS has been saying for a year or so that if there was enough public demand he would try to get a really good DVD release done. I guess he was able to convince Warner Brothers:)

Lets just all cross our fingers that it doesn't get cancelled or put on hold before the release date. :frus: That's happened to lots of DVD sets like this, usually the ones I'm really looking forward to.

The only thing I don't like about releasing TV shows a season at a time is that obviously the seasons are released in order. The problem is that with almost every single show ever made, the first season is one of the weakest. The cast and crew are just starting to get into their characters and the writing isn't as good as it becomes later.

There isn't really any way around this, but I had to wait 1 1/2 years for the good X-Files Boxed Sets to come out, and I'm stll waiting on the good Star Trek TNG seasons (only Seasons 1 & 2 so far)

Still, Babylon 5 was pretty good throughout all of its seasons, so I'm still looking forward to this one. :)

Beast
06-10-2002, 05:00 PM
Actually, what convinced WB's, was the fantastic sales of the 2 movies that they released as a test. Thankfully they did well at retail, so the season sets went into production. Same thing happened with the mini-series V. WB's released the first mini-series to massive sales, and now are releasing the second mini-series, "V: The Final Battle" this fall. Hopefully the TV series isn't to far behind as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Actually, what convinced WB's, was the fantastic sales of the 2 movies that they released as a test. Thankfully they did well at retail, so the season sets went into production.
That's really great to hear, because that's one of the reasons I bought that first disc. When that one was released I remember reading an interview with MJS about it and he said that basically if it sold well, then they would be able to do the whole series. The DVD site I read the interview on was actually encouraging readers to buy the DVD even though it had absolutely NO special Features, just so that we could support the release of the series. I'm glad to hear it worked! :)

QLD
06-11-2002, 02:25 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO *gasp* WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Funny, I just made a post about wishing for this less than 24 hours ago! :D

2-1B
06-11-2002, 02:30 AM
I'll rent the set and give the show a try. :)

QLD
06-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Good Caeser! Season 1 is good. Season 2 and 3 are great. Season 4 is INSANELY FREAKING AWESOME! And season 5 is good.

:D

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Very cool! I just checked this out on the Lurker's Guide, where it also says that JMS's new series Jeremiah premiered 3 months ago... where the heck was I?!? (oh yeah, no Showtime, but still, nobody has said word-one about this yet)

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html

QLD
06-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Main reason for me is that I don't have Showtime.

pthfnder89
06-12-2002, 11:17 AM
JediTricks - Jeremiah was created by MJS? Man I'm in the same boat as you. I've heard the name but I haven't seen anything about the show itself. :( I'll have to check it out at my friends house (they have a satellite dish)

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeah, JMS said in his info about the DVDs on the newsgroups that JJB posted in the first post on this thread. I had totally forgotten about Jeremiah till then.

QLD
06-12-2002, 05:22 PM
I would like to be able to watch it. Oh well. BTW season 3 of Babylon 5 just started. Oh man. It's soooo good.

Beast
06-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Update from TheDigitalBits.com:

Also today, we've got a Babylon 5 on DVD update. Creator/executive producer J. Michael Straczynski has made another Usenet report on the status of the discs:

"On the DVDs, last I heard they'll be out around mid-November, with the whole first season at about a hundred bucks. I did the commentaries on Signs and Portents and Chrysalis, and an on-camera intro and interview. They've also done new interviews with Rick Biggs, John Lacovelli, John Copeland, Stephen Furst, Jerry Doyle and others. So it should be a pretty big deal overall, much better than the movie DVD."

Thanks to Bits reader Greg W. for passing this along to us.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
06-28-2002, 03:53 PM

"On the DVDs, last I heard they'll be out around mid-November, with the whole first season at about a hundred bucks. I did the commentaries on Signs and Portents and Chrysalis, and an on-camera intro and interview. They've also done new interviews with Rick Biggs, John Lacovelli, John Copeland, Stephen Furst, Jerry Doyle and others. So it should be a pretty big deal overall, much better than the movie DVD."

Sounds like good news except for the price. Not that it isn't worth it, but I'm already saving up to buy

Xfiles Season 4
Xfiles Season 5
Buffy Season 2
The complete Prisoner collection
Star Trek TNG Season 1
Star Trek TNG Season 2

and several others, all of which are at least $100 each, with the exception of Buffy. :( God I need to get that second job quickly...

Beast
06-28-2002, 03:55 PM
He probably means $100 retail, which means if you shop around and pre-order you should be able to pick it up for around $60.00 or so. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
06-29-2002, 07:04 AM
I love B-5 and have almost the entire shows on tape. I would love to have it on DVD.

QLD
06-29-2002, 01:00 PM
I wish they would just release it all in one big bad super set. I want like posters, and autographed pictures, and a figure, and behind the scenes, and interviews, timelines, charcter bios, blah blah blah blah. I want it all.

I can't wait until they get to season 3 and 4. Whooooo!

The show is currently in the middle of season 3 on Sci-Fi channel. Ah it so rules.

It's so good, my girlfriend likes it. And she hates Sci-Fi.

Beast
07-03-2002, 08:59 PM
J. Michael Straczynski made another quick update post on the Usenet groups about the current status of the Babylon 5 DVD's. He also was hinting about somthing. :)

Finally, I'm writing an intro for the B5 DVDs, which are proceeding along well and this should prove to be a very nice little package.

(Okay, I lied, one last-last thing...after the 12th of July or so there will likely be a small announcement from WB that's B5 related. Can't comment more than that, and it isn't anything major a la a new series or a movie or the like, but I suspect a certain sub-set of B5 fandom will be most pleased by the information.)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Is Legend of the Rangers or Crusade on DVD yet? If not, probably 1 of those.

Beast
07-06-2002, 04:00 AM
A small update on the DVD's. Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova) was scheduled to do an interview for the Season 1 DVD but had to cancel at the last minute. Insert your own season five joke here. :D

Also, Michael O'Hare (Jeffrey Sinclair) opted out of having anything to do with the release either. He wouldn't even submit to an interview. Even though he played the lead in the first season. :( Here is the story behind that, from HTF.com.

Warner Bros. tried to contact Michael O'Hare about doing an interview for the S1 set. They went throught SAG, which didn't have a current number, they called JMS who also had an out-of-date number, they finally called Sandy Bruckner (president of the late, lamented, official fan club) and tried the number she gave them. That got them an answering machine where they left a message. They never heard back and the deadline passed for doing the interviews.

Heard from Ruth O'Hare a little while ago, and when Michael got home tonight she asked him about this telephone message. He got it last week, decided he either didn't want to do the interview or couldn't fit it into his schedule (Ruth didn't indicate which) and didn't think to mention it to her. So WB is off the hook here. They did their best but O'Hare didn't call back. Maybe now that he knows how much the fans want him, he'll make a point of saying "yes" if asked about S3.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Ok, images of the B5 DVD box and a possible MSRP have surfaced, and I must say that the box and the price are excellent. The MSRP looks to be around 65.00, which means with pre-orders most people should be able to get this for around 50.00 or so. But without further a do, is the first images of the B5 Complete First Season DVD Boxset. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Small update, looks like the rumors of the MSRP were a little off, TVShowsOnDVD.com is confirming a 11/05 release. They are also saying that the MSRP will be 99.98. Pre-ordering should bring the pricepoint in around 80.00. Not to bad, and cheaper then the Star Trek sets. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-14-2002, 12:24 AM
Small update, looks like the rumors of the MSRP were a little off, TVShowsOnDVD.com is confirming a 11/05 release. They are also saying that the MSRP will be 99.98. Pre-ordering should bring the pricepoint in around 80.00. Not to bad, and cheaper then the Star Trek sets. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That's a shame, I was really excited for a scecond at the idea of a $65 price tag. Still $99 is acceptable and becoming the standard for Season Box Sets.

That means I only have to get:
Seasons 1-3 of Star Trek TNG
Seasons 1-3 of Buffy TVS
Seasons 4-5 of The Xfiles
The Deluxe LOTR Set with WETA bookends
and the entire Prisoner boxed set and then I'll finally be able to start saving up for B5.;)

Not to mention the numerous misc movies that I need to get in the meantime.

Of course by the time I have gotten all these they'll have moved on to a new brain implantation standard and I'll have to start saving all over again;):D

Beast
08-12-2002, 02:05 PM
Warer Bros. finally made an official announcement of the DVD release. Here is what they sent to DVDAngle.com. :)

Warner has announced the full details of Babylon 5: The Complete First Season. Priced at $99.98, this 6-disc set will include all 22 episodes from the first season -- presented in anamorphic widescreen with new DD 5.1 audio tracks. The extras will include an introduction by J. Michael Straczynski, commentaries by Straczynski on select episodes, The Making of Babylon 5 and Back to Babylon 5 documentaries, and an information section entitled The World of Babylon 5.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-13-2002, 11:41 AM
Warner Home Video now has a Macromedia Flash promo for retailers that might order the sets. It details the features and shows the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). :)

http://www.whvdirect.com/babylon5/index.html#

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks