PDA

View Full Version : Beware! AF Custom Pirates! Ebay!

Sakay
06-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Seems to me this is something that will be getting out hand. An easy action fleet custom being auctioned off at over exuberant prices. No one to stop the mayhem. The fabled Tie Stinger has made its debut on ebay, at list price of about $50. for a $5. action fleet Vader Tie. As a collector and action fleet customizer this makes me sick. The Tie Stinger,..... a vader tie with reversed dremeled out wings, its a five minute conversion, and doesn't resemble the tie stinger design in the first place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1739999266

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1739046759

Sakay
06-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Here is an earlier custom, named the Tie Infiltraitor, hmm is it Stinger or Infiltraitor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1739046759

Sakay
06-10-2002, 06:29 PM
It has come to my attention, after taking time to review what I've posted that I have probably advanced this sellers agenda instead of crippling it. So, after carefull review, I have written each person that made a bid and told them, I will make them the same custom at no profit to myself. They can supply me or I can supply one Vader Tie Action Fleet and will fashion them this so called Tie Stinger, or Tie Infiltraitor at a minimal cost of the Tie Vader Action Fleet and shipping.

jeddah
06-10-2002, 06:42 PM
Way to go Sakay! :) :)

jeddah

icatch9
06-11-2002, 09:17 AM
I know it's a easy custome, but I disagree with you in hurtting this guys sales. He not hurting you and the people who are buying it, aren't talented enough to do such a custome. I think it's nice that you are willing to make a custome for these people at a low cost, still why are you so angry at this man for selling his. Easy to do or not it's still something you cannot get at the store and not everyone can do.

I am sorry, but I just can't agree with you on this one. No hard feelings though:)

Sakay
06-11-2002, 12:29 PM
I appreciate your point of view. My concern is that the buyer should be aware of the true value of the custom. I am a dedicated Action Fleet Customizer that likes to promote my hobby because of the inexpense and ease of adding a newly created one of a kind piece, that uniquely adds to ones collection. I only wish to inform others that may not have the money or know how that there is another way of obtaining this item without cheating them out of thier hard earned money. The way I see it, theres nothing thing wrong with informing fellow collectors. Thanks again, I appreciate your point of view. In the long run I hope to only promote Action Fleet and share the hobby that brings me and other so much pleasure.

Wookiee
06-11-2002, 02:53 PM
I agree that the price is a bit much. Way more than I would spend. Of course, they do look kinda cool, and I myself don't own or know how to use a dremel. I say if this guy can make and sell these things, good for him.
But I think Sakay has a good point about the value of such customs. I think it's awesome that he's offering to make these for free. I think this kind of generosity is more along the lines of what I'd like to see among the SWAF collectors' community. While it may not be entirely fair to steal someone's customers, (who knows, maybe customizing is this guy's source of income?) I think the collecting community in the long run will benefit more from sharing ideas, skills and news.
I would encourage anyone who was thinking of bidding on these expensive customs to spend a little time on this excellent web-forum first and chat with other dedicated collectors and enthusiasts first.

icatch9
06-11-2002, 03:12 PM
I see eye to eye with both of you. I do agree with what you saySakay. I think it is better to inform rather than bash. I see it much more clear now. Thanks for your time and efforts in portecting the uninformed :) Keep it up!

Sakay
06-11-2002, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Like I said, I hope the seller does well, but for the individuals that this is their first experience ever with the likes of SWAF Customizing, Welcome to SSG! Everyone is very helpful and ready to give a hand!

Surely someone will buy the SWAF Customs at exuberant prices, and the price won't hurt their pocket book, but for the ones that made the bid and couldn't afford it, I'm only too glad to help!

shinakuma43
06-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Sakay, I'd appreciate any customs you can do for me. I'd love to have any customs possible but am sure I wouldn't be able to do them myself and I never wanted to spend the amounts that they usually bring in on ebay. I have some extra AFs that can be used to customize, but I'd like to pay extra for your time. Offering to do it for free is great, but that also takes time away from doing your own or anything else you could be doing. LMK.

Later,
S43

Sakay
06-11-2002, 05:35 PM
S43, I would be very honored to make some customs for you. All I really ask is supply the parts and I'll supply the time. Just let me know what design and paint scheme you'd like and I'd like to take a stab at it. Let me know, Sakay!

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Not sure how this is piracy, the first guy started that auction at $35 and nobody went for it (auction 1739999266 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1739999266)), but the next guy starts his auction for a similar item at $1.00 yet he's the pirate? It's the buyers who have driven up the price, not the seller.

This may be an easy custom to make, but I can't see how you can fault the seller for the buyers' bids, and the bidder on the one over $40 doesn't appear to be a shill.

Sakay
06-12-2002, 01:06 AM
JT the first auction was actually the one that was listed for a opening bid of $1., and that is all good and fine. My concern is the second auction that was posted has an opening bid of $35.. Here is where my dilema starts, when other seller see that there is a market for SWAF Customs, the individual buyers will begin to make outragious bids on items that aren't really worth a fraction of what the custom would cost them with alittle bit of guideance from those of us who want to promote our hobby. If you look at the auctions and compare them, the first custom is very well done with alot of attention to detail with some sculpting and hand painting. You take alook at the second one and there is no sculpting and no painting, the wings had been reversed and hacked alittle but nearly no care had been put into the detail of it. My concern is the latter, that individuals that feel they don't have the skill to build a custom will settle for substandard work at an outragious price. I just want to save fellow colllectors a buck and build a following, that really hasn't been established as well as other Star Wars Customs.

SWAFMAN
06-12-2002, 11:31 AM
without a better picture of this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1740438642) one, I keep thinking this guy accidentally busted off one of the upper wings on his x-wing, said to himself, "aw crap!" then a lightbulb went off above his head, he snapped-off the opposing wing and listed it as a custom!

well, at least the price is fair.

(I really have no idea how well done this custom may be. no offense intended to anyone - just humor.)

SWAFMAN
06-12-2002, 11:44 AM
ugh! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1740429734)

am I seeing this right? did he not even bother filling the empty slot on top where he removed the tail fin?

Sakay
06-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Its evident that even if one customizer with a high quality custom sells his work for a phenominal amount of money, others will follow with a lower quality custom to fill the new demand of SWAF Customs. My concern is truly to familiarize this group of buyers with a group of legitimate collectors and customizers inorder to inform them, that they do have other ways of obtaining customs without selling themselves short. Can anyone see where I'm coming from?

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 11:27 PM
Ok, I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately, it all comes down to what the market will bear, and the AF market will apparently bear quite a bit. That T-wing should be ample proof of that. :rolleyes:

Ultimately though, I think this lends itself more to blaming the bidders for this problem than the seller, the seller is at least being somewhat honest about his wares, the buyers have the same pictures to look at that you and I do.

shinakuma43
06-13-2002, 03:28 AM
Sakay, I've seen so many pics of customs I don't even know where to begin listing what I'd want. I'd like as many different TIEs, other imperial ships, and rebel ships, so whatever you can do would be fine with me. You can do any you've already done or even experiment with new ones. If you have a list of what you've done or want to do please let me know what you'd need. I hopefully have all the ships I need to get started and if not I'll work on getting more.

feel free to e-mail me at joe@actionfleet.com

Thanks,
S43

BTW, they'll be an awesome addition to my site once I get off my lazy butt and do something with it :)