PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who open figures

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Do you:
A) Open them carefully
B) Rip the blister/package wide open

Afterwards, do you throw away the blisters/packages or keep them?

karateyoda17
06-10-2002, 04:48 PM
B. for me

Jonna
06-10-2002, 04:53 PM
Well, I use to keep the cards in the hope that hasbro would have some point for the jedi points, but of course that never happened. So I don't bother with them now.

Forhekset
06-10-2002, 05:02 PM
I rip 'em apart, especially now that the figures are so $(#)%^! hard to get out of the bubbles. First time I can ever remember needing an exacto knife just to get a toy out of the package, except when I got something that had Hasbro's patented black swamp creature tentacles of death™ swarming up around its appendages.

I also used to keep the Jedi Master points, but now I chunk the entire package in the trash.

odi-wan windu
06-10-2002, 05:12 PM
most definitely b.

brentfett
06-10-2002, 05:17 PM
I TEAR those suckers open very quickly. My friend who opens figures opens them carefully and keeps the blister/card separate, but I don't waste my time. It just gets to be too much junk sitting around, and as I'm sure most collectors can agree with, space is the figure collectors biggest enemy.

sideswipe1984
06-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Well, I am a "One on card, at least one loose, unless it is a 'trooper that I need multiples of" type of collector. On the ones I do open, I tend to open carefully - especially in light of the new packaging style that requires deft hands to coax the figs from their shells. I also tend to keep the card backs. I have a huge stack of them, and I have no idea why I keep them. I guess it is the pack rat in me.

MikeAndTheBots
06-10-2002, 05:52 PM
A mix of both really, I try to pry the blister off then I destroy the blister and throw both parts away.

Rogue II
06-10-2002, 06:01 PM
I neatly rip the plastic off the card. I throw away the plastic and store the card in a box. I'm not sure why.

DarthBrandon
06-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
I rip 'em apart, especially now that the figures are so $(#)%^! hard to get out of the bubbles. First time I can ever remember needing an exacto knife just to get a toy out of the package.

I also used to keep the Jedi Master points, but now I chuck the entire package in the trash.

Exact same response as Forhekset. The only card I kept was Bo Shek cause I just thought he was an awesome figure. I usually get one carded and one to open of certain figures, but Bo was so hard to come by, and I couldn't resist opening it.

AT-AT Man
06-10-2002, 06:57 PM
i do A, i don't know why, but, i use a knife, carefully open it, and keep the whole package.

Jargo
06-10-2002, 07:59 PM
I rip the blister rudely from the card, rip the figure from the blister and swear loudly at the tape and rubber bands when they stay attached to the blister. Then I play with the figure a little and then i carefully clip the character bio from the card followed by the jedi master points. I then throw the card remnants and blister away. But since they started putting the jedi master points in the blister and did away with character bio with picture, I just throw the whole card and blister away. I'd actually prefer there to be less packaging. They should just use the blister on its own and lose the card altogether. I know its made from recycled card anyway but it's still a waste. They can't really get round the plastic blister issue because if they just put things on cards they'd be stolen soon as look at them. But yes i throw the stupid cards away. :)

Adam
06-10-2002, 08:45 PM
B. But I keep the insert card with the characters picture on it and use it to display them. I'm going to keep at the JM points, it couldn't hurt.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Since E1, I have always used an exacto knife to open my figures in a neat manner. I also keep the blisters/packagings. Thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Lman316
06-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Tisk, tisk, tisk. Shame on you all of you who "chuck it in the trash" :cry:. All...all of those materials you're throwing away are recyclable. If your area has a recycling program, I'd suggest you take advantage of it. Just tie the card backs in with your other cardboard and put the bubbles in your recycling containers. That's what I do.

And, to answer the question of this thread: I "rip 'dem' suckers" open. I only want the figures and their accessories (and the Jedi Master points - I'm still hoping, however long it might take, that Hasbro will do something with them.
But, please, I plead with you people to recycle, if you can :).

End :happy:.

LTBasker
06-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
Do you:
A) Open them carefully

I do all 3. On my openers that I get, I lift up one end of the bubble and carefully tear it away from the card but I leave one side attached to it as a "hinge" so if I need to put up my figures that are loose for any reason, I can be assured they wouldn't get damaged when put back into their original packaging as they would if I just threw'em in a box or plastic baggy. Plus I know their accessories can be with them without taking up extra space.

Only time I really throw away the bubbles is when I get army builders like with the 15+ Stormtroopers I got from the TRU sale I just kept the cardbacks.

TIE Pilot
06-11-2002, 01:00 AM
Do you:
A) Open them carefully

I use an exacto knife to cut around the bubble so I don't damage the card. Then I save the cardback. Why? I have no idea :)

Jayspawn
06-11-2002, 01:19 AM
B. I open them carefully. I throw away the plastic and keep the card back.

figrin bran
06-11-2002, 01:42 AM
i used to open the bubbles very carefully but nowadays i just rip them. there are stacks of cardbacks in my closet.

Aeros Kahn
06-11-2002, 01:46 AM
im like ltbasker

but i use an exacto knife
and cut a door into the top of the blister
leaving the side farthest from the card attached
this creates a lil hinge that lifts up
then i can carefully remove the figures blister
then anytime i need to store my figures i have
a perfect place to put them :)

what sucks now is that with some of newer figures
the inner blister wont slide out of the package
its sealed in by all four corners
this creates a huge problem for me as i cant get the figure out
my only solution has been to place small cuts in all four corners
then to break the blister out
sometimes this doesnt work and the blisters are ruined

oh well still got my figures though :)

QLD
06-11-2002, 02:28 AM
Rip it.....rip it good. Then throw away the figure. I mean package. :D

stillakid
06-11-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
Do you:
A) Open them carefully

A. I use a razor-blade to slice the bubble where it meets the card so as to not tear up the card.

If there is a sticker on the bubble, I try to pull it from the plastic and then adhere it to the card itself.

The bubble and the inside support plastic gets tossed.

I keep all of the cards to use as a kind of index inventory system.

2-1B
06-11-2002, 02:42 AM
I crush the blister in my hand and yank it off!
Now I keep a scissors handy, for those stupid rubber bands. Last night I needed it to expedite the Nexu's release. And I always use a scissors to get past those twisty ties in speedy fashion.

Lman, I don't bother to recycle it - the stuff burns pretty quickly (we recycle just about everything else, but not paper. Sorry.) :D

Jargo, I used to clip those bios too. Back then I was very delicate in blister removal so as to not crease the bio but now the cards are worthless to me.

Stillakid, I like your idea of indexing the cards. I guess I fit that profile by saving the bios . . . but not anymore. :D

gibbspaulus
06-11-2002, 06:44 AM
I don't feel such a monster now!! I am a violent-rip-em-off-the-card-like-a-rabid-dog-attacking-a-small--child kind of person when it comes to freeing my 4" buddies from thier recycled cells.

I was clearing out the loft the toher day and realised that half the cr@p up there was Hasbro packaging! I filled 8 bin liners with cardbacks, bliters and boxes. I hated myself doing it, but felt liberated at the same time.

B]FREE THE HASBRO 600!!!![/B]

bigbarada
06-11-2002, 07:56 AM
Well, I rip the figures from the package and toss the bubbles, I usually keep the cards until I accumulate so many that I just get sick of them and toss them out. I've kept cardbacks since my vintage days and I try to keep at least one example of each packaging change for nostalgia's sake. I'm definitely glad I kept at least one each of the old 65-, 77- and 92-back vintage cards.

Darkross
06-11-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I neatly rip the plastic off the card. I throw away the plastic and store the card in a box. I'm not sure why.

Me too, I guess someday I hope to have a miniature SW museum in my basement with all of the figure write-ups posted in front of all of my dioramas that I plan to make. I dunno??

FETT
06-11-2002, 03:38 PM
rip them open..keep the blister....don't know why..i just do..i'm coo koo like that.>_<...and yah it takes up a lot of space in my lil display case and it looks messy, but it's not like i'm going for miss america here......i don't expect there to be any investment potential in the cards that i keep i just keep them for whatever reason...-_-

RooJay
06-11-2002, 05:04 PM
I tear those suckers open (like they were meant to be) as fast as I can, throw the bubble away (garbage!), and save the cardback for the pretty pictures and neat stories!

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 02:39 AM
I used to slice open the bubbles and save any stickers on the front, but on that crappy POTJ generic packaging, I ripped 'em out and only saved the UPCs. With Saga, I rip 'em off their cheap cards and save the cardbacks and the inserts. I have a lockback knife handy for any rubber bands and tape, and have an old pair of wire clippers for when there's a stupid twisty tie.

The bubbles aren't taken by recycling around here, and they take up SO much space that I have to throw them out.

187-Maul
06-12-2002, 09:45 AM
I carefully rip the blisters off and keep the cardbacks
don't know why, I just do it, did it since the first TMNT figs and still do it

billfremore
06-12-2002, 09:53 AM
Sometimes I don't open them for weeks.
My AOTC preview figs stayed in the packaging for a whole month before I opened them. (They just looked so pretty) :)

Then I open them carefully with an exacto knife and recycle the cardbacks and plastic.

RooJay
06-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Just wondering...why open them carefully if your just going to recycle them?:confused:

chubbychicken
06-26-2002, 03:37 AM
i tear them apart if i have 2 or more of the figures but if only have the one i open it wif an exacto knife

-JediMaster-Yoda-
06-26-2002, 09:56 AM
I rip the box open and then i cut off the jedi master points(wherever they are on the box)and then i take out the figures accesories and i throw the box away!how simple

Rogue II
06-26-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by -JediMaster-Yoda-
I rip the box open and then i cut off the jedi master points(wherever they are on the box)and then i take out the figures accesories and i throw the box away!how simple

I keep the card backs, but I don't know why.:confused: Maybe I'm hoping to use those Jedi Points someday.

Oh, and I heard 1000 Jedi Points and $5 + tax will get you a figure at Walmart or Target.:crazed:

:)

billfremore
06-26-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
Just wondering...why open them carefully if your just going to recycle them?:confused:

I like to savour opening them.

I'm weird that way. :)

-JediMaster-Yoda-
06-26-2002, 11:25 AM
rogue 2 do you know if you can just can the jedi master points out or do you need the backs?also i want 1000 points so bad i think i'am in somewhere 300 to 500 points, you can buy those plastic lightsabers and get like 20 points

Rogue II
06-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by -JediMaster-Yoda-
rogue 2 do you know if you can just can the jedi master points out or do you need the backs?also i want 1000 points so bad i think i'am in somewhere 300 to 500 points, you can buy those plastic lightsabers and get like 20 points

I was kidding about the 1000 points. Right now there is no use for the Jedi Points. The last time I used those points was for the preview Mace Windu(way back in 99). For that, you had to send in the points and the reciepts for the figures you bought. I don't know if there has been another promotion requiring Jedi Points since then. There may have been a poster offer or something.

Obi-Don
06-27-2002, 06:23 AM
I rip it open and trash the package.

SNAYSON
06-27-2002, 10:01 AM
open them up, save the card (why? dunno) throw the bubble in the plastic bin (recycling is req'd in my area)

aceguide
06-27-2002, 10:26 AM
I like to see the figures mature for a while in their package.

However, after they have aged appropriately, I open them like I'm 5. Sometimes I feel like I'm five trying to get the figures and their accessories out of the bubble...

I tend to save the cards too - not sure why.