PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Figures

Exhaust Port
06-10-2002, 10:26 PM
So someone on the boards posted about telling a newbie to look for "hidden" figures. You know the rare ones people hide behind other stock in the toy section until they have the money to purchase them. Well, I was totally ignorant to this practice so I decided to look around the local Walmart to day and see what I could find. I was suprised to find 6 figures in the Barbie section and Clearance aisle. I must say that the selection behind the toys are nicer than those still on the pegs. I now have a new method to my toy hunt. Thanks guys, this is great!! :D

Forhekset
06-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Yeah...I've got a little story about hiding figs.

Back when I still didn't have a Dooku I was in Target and right as I walked up to the SW aisle, a kid was standing there with the only Dooku they had in his hands. I looked around, found a couple other figs I needed, and looked at the kid, who was just standing there with the fig in his hand, looking around nervously. I was thinking, is this kid gonna steal that figure?

So I walked over to the Legos, then back over to the Saga figs and noticed the kid had walked off. I didn't see the Dooku in his hand so I looked at his pockets as he walked off...didn't look like he had stolen it. Then it hit me - he had hidden it. Well I tore that darn toy aisle apart for a good 5 minutes looking for that Dooku, until I noticed that in this big stack of ugly toy keyboards, one of them wasn't pushed up against the wall of the shelf all the way - I lifted the askew keyboard up, and presto! There was the Dooku. Little rascal, trying to hide figs from me.

I grabbed Dooku and the other figs and proceeded to the register, and as I was walking to the front of the store, the aforementioned kid and what looked like his little brother came TEARING excitedly down the aisle past me, heading for the SW figs, with their dad in tow, trying to keep up. I felt like holding out the Dooku as the kid passed by, and going Hey, looking for this? Ha-ha. Then I felt sort of bad when I thought about how long that kid and his brother probably looked for the Dooku he thought he hid. Then I thought, Hey I'm a paying customer too, and that kid could have taken the figure to a register and had an employee hold it for him. Then I didn't feel bad anymore.

But anyway yeah, as soon as I skim the pegs, I immediately start looking behind the toys adjacent to the SW stuff....then I proceed to the other toy aisles on either side of the SW aisle, and check those real fast as well. You never know where stuff will turn up. I hid a Royal Guard all the way over in the chips & snacks section of Wal-Mart some days after 4/23, and it was still there 2 days later. :happy:

DarthBrandon
06-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Be surprised what you will find hidden in the toy dept. Tons and Tons of things are hidden everyday and when you find them it's kinda like easter all over again.

Dar' Argol
06-10-2002, 10:53 PM
That was my Dooku:cry:!!!!!

:D

Actually I just love to look for these hidden pots of gold, and then put them back on the pegs where they belong. Then you get someone back in a few hours later, tearing the aisle apart. I go up and ask, "Help you find anything??", knowing full well what they are looking for. They they are like, "Uh, I put . . . . uh, . . . . . . no", and walk off in defeat. :evil: I love it!

Another good place to look is over in the furniture dept in the displays. I have found many a figure there.

Beast
06-10-2002, 10:57 PM
I don't get it though, if you are gonna come back the very same day, or in a couple days to buy the figure, why not either take it to the front desk, or spend an extra 1.00 and throw them in layaway. I'm sorry, I just find it crazy to think especially at Wal-Mart anyone would have to hide anything. I have since 1995 when Star Wars came back to toy stores, always had curtious store folk that will kindly hold stuff a few hours, or a day or two. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-10-2002, 11:07 PM
JarJar- you are that parent figure who is always teaching us the proper ways to collect!! you crack me up!!

anyway, i remember back in the day draggin' my girlfriend at the time to go hunting and after seeing the displays had nothing i wanted, i would glance around behind other figures, checking behind stuff on the bottom shelves and whatnot and she is like "what are you doing?" and i'd explain it to her and she'd roll her eyes. Until the day i pulled out a new POTF2 figure, she realized i wasn't messin' around. I haven't hid figures in a while though, prolly cause nothing new is out yet!!! (goes off ranting to himself quietly...)

Forhekset
06-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't get it though, if you are gonna come back the very same day, or in a couple days to buy the figure, why not either take it to the front desk, or spend an extra 1.00 and throw them in layaway. I'm sorry, I just find it crazy to think especially at Wal-Mart anyone would have to hide anything. I have since 1995 when Star Wars came back to toy stores, always had curtious store folk that will kindly hold stuff a few hours, or a day or two. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mine was sort of a spur of the moment thing. I was walking to the front with some stuff, and decided I didn't want the Royal Guard quite yet, and I was too lazy to go all the way back to the toy aisle (it was one of those massive Super Wal-Marts), and I happened to be near the snack section, so I ducked into the aisle real fast and stuffed it behind some bags of chips. Then a couple days later I happened to be in the same Wal-Mart and remembered I had put a fig there, so I went to check just to see if it was still there (as they had no more Royal Guards on the pegs) and lo and behold, there it was.

Lord Tenebrous
06-10-2002, 11:13 PM
During the last clearance of POTJ toys at Target, I found a deluxe Leia in, of all places, men's undergarments. I was going to put it back on the shelf, but instead I put it on a peg in women's undergarments. It just seemed comical at the time.

I wonder if this particular collector had also taken a look at the Darth Maul boxers... :p

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Only flaw there is when a kid might be at Wal-Mart with a friend or just went in to get something specific like a magazine or something but didn't have enough and I'm not sure but I think theres an 18+ age limit on lay-away and I don't think people would trust a kid very much to come back the very next day as they might think the kid were pulling their legs to get a cheap laugh so hiding figures might be the only way in that situation.

yukface27
06-11-2002, 12:28 AM
I used to always hide figures back in the POTF2 days. For some dumb reason, I would buy a lot of my figs at the local Payless Drug Store. I distinctly remember hiding a Luke in Hoth gear. That place was such a rip-off though. It was like eight bucks for a fig and it's still like that at the Rite-Aids. Now-a-days it's either I buy it or I don't, I'm not prone to hiding 'em, all though I did help my friend hide the new Plo Kloon in a pair of jeans at Target recently.

tagmac
06-11-2002, 12:41 AM
If I suspect new figures were once on the pegs (i.e., finding ONE new one, or a lot more of the pegwarmers from the same case than I saw in the last visit) I'll usually look for any group of boxes in the toy section that isn't pushed back all the way, or that looks messier than the rest. Although honestly, I usually give up after a minute cuz I feel like employees will think I'm stealing something. However, I did have luck with this once, a long time ago.

Back in '96, when the 2-1B wave came out, I had just missed out on them in Wal-Mart (watching 3 guys walking out with a few each). Two days later I went to TRU, and for the hell of it, I decided to go into the next aisle and look behind the boxed toys on the lower shelf. Back then, it was very rare to actually find the new figs anywhjere BUT the flea market, unless you went when the store opened. (and even then, the same 3-4 guys were there, even giving me a hard time once for speeding past them to get what I wanted - hell, I'm a collector, and refused to lose out to guys I knew worked for a local comic book store).

Anyway, lo and behold, I find the COMPLETE SET of the new figs - 1 each of 2-1B, Bossk, Hoth Luke, Hoth Rebel Soldier, and AT-ST Driver. It's possible some poor kid hid them there, ubt I had a feeling it was the local scalper at the time. Back then, my local TRU actually stuck by their policy of one of each figure per person, and there was one scalper who regularly cleared the pegs of new figs, walking out with cartfuls to sell at the flea market (He's since become a WWE figure scalper and hasn't been at that flea market in years). I just assumed he was the one who hid the figs, and it made me feel even happier that I'd found these figs.

Adam
06-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Rite-Aide rules! Theres this Rite-Aid I always go to when Im in Louisiana for the holidays, and they always have older figures for really cheap, and most of the time I didn't have them. Unfortunatly this year they STILL had the three figures the had the year before. Now thats a pegwarmer.:rolleyes:

mrhat
06-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Not until recently was I introduced to the hiding figs scene, me and my friend always hit up this one wal-mart by our houses, closest at least, anywho there is this HUGE display of E2 toys all the way in the back, but in the very front of the shelf like a lot of stores have, they actually have good new figs there fairly often, and sometimes i am strapped until a couple of days from my visit, so my friend had the same situation for cash, this was during the release of the ORn Free Ta wave, how long ago that was... so we both took 1 of each of the 4 and hunted for a good place to put them, we finally discovered a dust colecting Asile ironically only an asile behind the SW display, full of those dolls and things, the shelve are farily high, but im fairly talle than a lot of people, so we moved these really dusty carousel toys from the top shelf, hauled them into the "cave" and left hopeful thast they would stay there. I was gone for almost the whole week after that, and came back and went there with the money i needed to buy the 4. I went to the main display, nothing from any time after 4/23, so i went too the doll asile, and behind the dusty carousels my FIGS i was so happy no one had seen them and bought them all up. i left a very happy camper, now if only the Djas would show up when i actually have money i would be in good shape...

sideswipe1984
06-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Back in 96-97 (my junior and senior years of college), I worked at Wal-Mart part time in the Lawn & Garden/Seasonal Department. You couldn't actually buy merchandise while on the clock, and our toy department manager would constantly put new figs on the shelf during my shift. Well, it was torture working a few feet from these things, but knowing I couldn't buy them until a break. So after a while, I adopted the practice already implemented by other collectors (of SLU's and Matchboxes) that worked there: I would just hide the figures somewhere in my department until a break. The winter time was easier, as I could hide them in the display X-Mas Trees, on the garden patio (which was off-limits to customers during the winter time), under the counter, etc. My imagination was my only limitation. Was it dirty pool? Eh, somewhat. But in the town I went to school in (also my hometown) there was only 1 other major SW buyer - and he was the local comic shop owner (or one of his loyal minions). There was the occasional college kid, or child that bought them, but only once in a great while. It was one of the few perks of working for that slave-driving company. They squeezed more hard labor out of me and the other able-bodied college guys that worked there to pay for those perks 100 times over (the "lifers" and girls never seemed to be asked to do a fraction of the physical labor we were - yet we all were paid the same paultry pittance).

FETT
06-11-2002, 03:26 PM
DOH!!shame on all of you!!!...lol....you guys are going through too much effort to get these figures if you ask me...my advice is pay an extra couple of bucks at a local comic book store instead of searching like a mad man....as for your experiences with kids........yah...they'll do that kid of thing and hide things and then steal them or whatever..it's just something you have to expect....i'm just a casual collector, but the fact that you have to hide things from other people so that you can get them is sort of funny..just call in advance and have the store hold the figure for you...it's easier and less time consuming...

Mandalorian Candidat
06-11-2002, 03:37 PM
I love to hide figures, but love to find them even more. I've found so much stuff from either discovering them directly or finding them on the pegs after an employee has found them. I started collecting in 97 or 98 so I missed out on a bunch of the first waves. I've found the following from digging around or grabbing what was found by employees:

2 FF AT-ST Drivers ($1.50 ea.)
FF Slave Leia ($1.50)
FF Zuckuss ($1.50)
GC Tusken
GC Greedo
GC R2
OC Lando
DS Detention Block Playset
EP1 Mace (when they were in short supply)
Flashback Yoda
Flashback Chewie

And don't you just love finding a stash and putting it back on the pegs? :D

Wookiee
06-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Is it just me or is this thread totally hilarious? This stuff is cracking me up! Good Stuff!!

Dooku Fett
06-11-2002, 04:17 PM
I hide in unexpected places :crazed:

Lman knows ;)

cptpinkerton
06-12-2002, 11:09 PM
My friend and I head out every other day to figure shop and we almost always find stuff hidden. It cracks me up that people hide toys, in toy aisles. So lazy.
More creative people must be. Finding five count dookus behind a few TRU exclusive GI Joe vehicles half an aisle away isn't strategic, its lazy.
Putting those five Dookus on display on the first pegs at eye level.
Priceless.

jdmarlow
06-13-2002, 12:07 AM
In response to all those who are against/do not like hiding figures I say this:

There is a thrill to hiding a figure (or multiples sometimes) and finding it several days later that can only be beat by an employee opening a fresh case in front of your face. I find it very rewarding to hide something and find it some days later. More often than not, when I hide something it is usually found. Especially at my local TRU things are found very quickly because shelves are changed quite often. However, at the recently closed Bradley's I had quite a thrill back in '99 with EP1.

My brother and I used to go there all the time. Every now and then we would find some awesome figures/variations. One time a woman broke out 5 cases of Darth Maul 12" (when they were hot items). Anyway...there was a time (when the destroyer droid was also hot) when on the adjacent isle to the starwars stuff there lay a top shelf of over 20 CASES of just Destroyer Droid Waves. Over the course of one week collectors who frequently bought at Bradley's realized this and went into the cases by their own free will and took many of the figures (destroyer droids mostly). My brother and I caught on quick and hid 5-6 destroyer droids for purpose of army building in the future or if the price went down we could get them cheap. We decided the best place to hide them would be to lift up the metal shelf and store them under it. You know what I mean? The metal shelf that toys usually lay on, except under that shelf. You have to pull it up (heavy at times) and slip the figures under. During this time we searched 3 or 4 shelves and found that each and every one had figures under it. It's a fun game to play when you take stuff out of one shelf that you know someone else has used to hide stuff and move the toys around. We got quite a thrill. However, at nobody's expense. These figures were plentiful and these escapades were purely fun loving gestures. Good times....

-JD

Darth Nihilus
06-13-2002, 11:08 AM
I've had a Hangar Duel Anakin hidden away for about 3-4 weeks now, I haven't picked it up yet as I've been waiting for rarer items to spend my money on (more Lukes for eg). Speaking of which I hid one today.

The best tip I can give if you're gonna hide figs in the toy aisle is don't hid them behind popular toys.. They will get found very quickly that way.

Jedi Drew
06-13-2002, 02:05 PM
I usually don't hide figures ect. because I will buy them on the spot with cash or credit card. So getting to my point is that Yes almost a month ago I hid a 12" Jango Fett in the pillow asile at K-Mart for a fellow collector who didn't know if he wanted it. Well, I was at that K-Mart a few days ago and it was still there. :eek: :eek: :eek: Well, HH...

Rogue II
06-13-2002, 02:15 PM
I haven't hid any Star Wars figures because I usually have the cash for them. The only figure I've hidden in a store was a Starting Line Up. It was around Christmas time, and all of the lines were packed at TRU. I wasn't about to wait in those lines, so I ended up dumping him behind the board game section, the complete opposite side of the store. I didn't get around to going back there for a couple weeks, but it was actually still there.

sideswipe1984
06-13-2002, 03:20 PM
This thread has inspired me to rip toy aisles apart all across town!

DARTH DUBIOUS
06-13-2002, 03:22 PM
I was amusd then other day to see the staff at a TRU heading back the star wars display with a trolley load of stuff they'd been collecting from round the store. Some interesting finds. Got a couple of things I was looking for out of the trolley thanks to whoever had been stashing. The staff were just so blase about it all like it was such a regular occurance for them. Just sticking the figs back on the pags la la la... :D

sideswipe1984
06-13-2002, 03:50 PM
That is funny stuff.