PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we get Marmit quality 12" figures from Hasbro?

bigbarada
06-11-2002, 11:07 AM
With all the lip service Hasbro gives about caring about its customers and the quality of the Star Wars products, why can't they make 12" figures of the same quality that the Japanese company Marmit is able to produce? If nothing else, why can't Hasbro find a way to import these things so we can get one for under $100?

For those of you unfamiliar with Marmit 12" Star Wars figure kits, they are basically figures that you assemble yourself and they come with super accurate outfits and super poseable bodies. They are only made in Japan and they retail over there for about $70. You can find them in the states but will usually have to pay $120-$150 per figure kit.

Here is a comparison pic of the full assembled Marmit Stormtrooper figure compared against Hasbro/Kenner's 1997 12" Stormtrooper figure. The shot of the Marmit doll is the actual toy, not a lifesize prop. Click the picture to see what a joke Hasbro's line of 12" figures is.

lunchymeatball
06-11-2002, 11:14 AM
The Marmit one blows away the hasbro one, as reflected in the price I suppose.

sith_killer_99
06-11-2002, 11:59 AM
I've said it before....

MARMIT make the ONLY good 12 inch Star Wars figures on the market!

Sure Hasbro has lucked out with a few 12 inch scale figures. But if you want TRUELY exceptional 12 inch SCALE figures MARMIT all the way. Marmit also makes:

Boba Fett
Sandtrooper
TIE Fighter Pilot

Rumored to be in the works is:

Darth Vader

I would also like to see:

Snowtrooper
Clone Trooper (Lemon, Strawberry AND Vanilla)
Clone Trooper Pilot

;)

bigbarada
06-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Entertainment Earth is accepting pre-orders for Vader and the AT-AT Driver.

There are two versions of the Sandtrooper also, orange pauldron and white pauldron. Each one comes with different accesories too so it's not like they just repainted the pauldron and re-released it.

My dream Marmit figures would be:

Biker Scout
Clonetrooper
Clone Pilot
Royal Guard

Although the first Ep2 figure we will probably see will be Jango Fett since they'll just rework the Boba Fett model.

evenflow
06-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Basically Hasbro is cheap.

I would love to get a Marmit Royal Guard though.

RooJay
06-11-2002, 08:29 PM
Yes, Hasbro is cheap, but it would not cost them any more money to have their 12 inch scale figures sculpted more acurately, with normal sized heads, and appropriate body proportions (like say their already existing G.I. Joe bodies!). The upcoming Count Dooku figure seems like a step in the right direction, but they're still gonna have to redo all the rest of the characters to win me over! I think companies like Sideshow Toys, Dragon, and BBI (and even 21st Century to some extent) have more than proven that you can do great looking, highly detailed, realistic looking 12 inch scale figures for far less than $100! Most of the figures from these companies are even under $40! Sideshow's figures can usually be had for under $30! Hasbro has NO excuse in my opinion.

N-2PF
06-12-2002, 09:34 AM
Vote for a 12"-section!

Originally posted by JediTricks
Vote on the poll so SirSteve can be absolutely sure and we can get this finally done: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10144

BillyJAck
06-14-2002, 01:34 PM
I have never seen a marmit doll till you posted this. I'm now going to buy them all. boba fett is first

billyjack

bigbarada
06-14-2002, 01:43 PM
Be aware the the Marmit do take a little bit of time and skill to assemble; but I think rebelscum (the site I got the Marmit Trooper pic from) has instructions somewhere.

I do know that a hair-dryer or a heat gun is essential in assembling them correctly (to soften up the vinyl parts so they don't tear).

Laserbrain
06-15-2002, 12:20 AM
THEY'RE NOT DOLLS!

BillyJAck
06-16-2002, 03:16 AM
don't take it personal.... MARMIT MODELS... my mistake. A heat gun...hmm. Can you move them around like a figure afterwards. Anyone got a fully assembled Fett they wanna sell? lol

billyjack

derek
06-16-2002, 10:34 AM
billy jack,

they are regular action figures. i didn't care for the marmit body, so i put my boba fett on a dragon body and i put the sand trooper on a g.i. joe body. using these bodies meant my troopers would have heads, which the marmit figures do not.

the only thing a blow dryer is needed for is to soften up fett's chest armor so it can be put on him without damgaing it.

your best bet in finding these is at www.toymaniacs.com

but you're gonna spend between $90 and $130 each.

here are boba and the sandtrooper with helmets on:

derek
06-16-2002, 10:56 AM
here is one without the helmets.:)

RooJay
06-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Wow, those are cool! I've always thought I'd do something like that if I ever happened to find the cash to but one. Never having seen a Marmit up close I wasn't to sure how possible or easy it would be. Thanks for the pics! Your Boba looks a little...off though.;) :D

DarthBrandon
06-16-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by derek
billy jack,

they are regular action figures. i didn't care for the marmit body, so i put my boba fett on a dragon body and i put the sand trooper on a g.i. joe body. using these bodies meant my troopers would have heads, which the marmit figures do not.

the only thing a blow dryer is needed for is to soften up fett's chest armor so it can be put on him without damgaing it.

your best bet in finding these is at www.toymaniacs.com

but you're gonna spend between $90 and $130 each.

Nice Frigin pics Derek, they both look so real. Can't decide which I like best Boba or Sandtrooper. Awesome Dude !

derek
06-16-2002, 09:05 PM
thanks guys.:)

i would of used my extra jango fett head for boba, but his head is too large for the marmit helmet. when the electronic jango fett is released, i'll probably use that for the "boba fett revealed" head.:)

RooJay
06-17-2002, 12:55 AM
I know what you mean! Most of Hasbro's 12" heads could be used as a helmet over the Marmit helmets themselves! They're feakin' HUGE!!!

Laserbrain
06-17-2002, 01:01 AM
A Joe vs Cobra Firefly? Isn't he a little short for a Stormtrooper?

;P

I finally have my Mace Windu now, I need to take some pics. So is my Clonetrooper....but my other Clone's in the works...as well as more custom projects than I'll ever get a lead on...even at 3 hours a day...

sideswipe1984
06-17-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
Basically Hasbro is cheap.

LOL! I think that about sums of everything you need to know about Hasbro and their motivations these last few years. :D

Exhaust Port
06-17-2002, 12:43 PM
I think they're just lazy. I can't believe that it costs more to have a better sculpt, they're just willing to put out a crappy figure.

I want them to redo the whole Imperial Trooper line and get it right this time. Actually I'd be happy just to get them to resculpt the Stormtrooper. That figure is embarrassing.

Yeah, the Marmit figures are amazingly detailed and accurate but I don't think that it justifies $100. It doesn't cost them any more to make that figure than one with a bad sculpt. One division of Hasbro took the time to make the figures right and is getting away with outrageous prices as a result.