PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed at Wal Mart

Darth Annexis
06-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Yesterday my wife was shopping at Walmart and came across a Han Solo Endor Raid figure...there were also Jango, Final Battle, Mace Windu with Anurism, Vader, and Luke...but every one of the cards were destroyed...As I was talking to her on the phone, I said just buy Han Solo (he was the last one there) and I was planning to open that figure anyway...they were located away from the regular section, since they were not in good condition.

When I got the figure, the product was fine but the card looked like someone had stepped on it. I decided to take it back to Walmart to get some answers. I spoke with an Assistant Manager and asked if he believed that collectors/scalpers would have done this. (And the truth is more shocking than my first impression) I went on to tell him that I have read that in many stores across the country scalpers will buy what they can and destroy the collectability of the remaining stock and I suspected that this was the case.

Now the real story. He assured me that the figures were not damaged by customers (I was shocked that he would stick up for the scalpers). He told me that they arrived that way. He said that their shipments arrive loose in the carton, meaning that they do not arrive on a palate. The carton could have been stacked at the bottom of a carton of bleach or other heavy item and that the weight would crush the Star Wars Carton. At first I thought this was a crock...then I went back to the toy department to investigate...sure enough, every figure in the section (20 or so) were damaged in the same manner. The Card appeared to be crushed from the side...only the pressure of the air in side the bubble must have supported what ever was stacked above...

So I am disappointed that Walmart would not only accept the product in this destroyed, clearly discount worthy condition. But overall pleased that I found Han Solo...but the Han Figure...well I have to say sucks with the crooked neck and all...but that is another story....

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 11:57 AM
That's pretty poor shipping. :rolleyes: It must've been idiots who packed that cause it's always seemed like the smaller less heavy stuff goes on top for shipping to places, never seen or heard of it done differently.

sideswipe1984
06-11-2002, 12:38 PM
The entire Saga line isn't shipping well at all in comparisons to the smaller blister packaging of POTJ and previous lines. I ordered a sealed case from Action Figure Express a month ago, and when it arrived, all of the cards were bent to some degree. It kind of ****$ed me off. Either the employees packaging these suckers should be a tad more gentle, or better packing material is needed. (Although, my personal preference would be to return to the 'old style' of packaging. Somehow it seems a bit less like Star Wars without the tiny blister on a big card.)

Darth Annexis
06-11-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by sideswipe1984
The entire Saga line isn't shipping well at all in comparisons to the smaller blister packaging of POTJ and previous lines. I ordered a sealed case from Action Figure Express a month ago, and when it arrived, all of the cards were bent to some degree. It kind of ****$ed me off. Either the employees packaging these suckers should be a tad more gentle, or better packing material is needed. (Although, my personal preference would be to return to the 'old style' of packaging. Somehow it seems a bit less like Star Wars without the tiny blister on a big card.)

I agree...I store my collection in Banana boxes...they are super strong and protect the figures well...but the new packaging is so big that I can't fit as many in the boxes...The cards are more flimsy too...

But the fact remains, every saga figure I have came from a Walmart, Target, KBstore, TRU and each card is Perfect...so they can do it right when they try!

sunblind
06-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Walmart hasnt been very good lately over here either.

Jedi Juice
06-11-2002, 04:17 PM
Well, I've never encountered a problem with damaged cards, so I must consider myself to be lucky. But lucky or not, I still haven't found Luke and Vader to my dismay.....

Speaking of good places, I've mostly been finding my figs at KB Toys and Walmarts. TRU and K Mart just never seem to have stuff.

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 01:41 AM
It's not just WM around here, all the stores are opening Saga cases to find smashed up cards and bubbles, the new packaging is more fragile AND has a larger bubble, so everything's crammed in worse than ever.

To be honest though, the good figures are selling around here anyway, I only WISH that I could come across a bubble-mashed Obi-Wan Pilot, Han Endor, Chewie Cloud City, Endor Reb Trooper, etc., etc..

saladin
06-12-2002, 03:14 AM
I've had a couple problems with cards, but i open them any ways so it dosn't matter, but i know what it must feel like.

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-12-2002, 08:28 AM
Yup i get figures from the box, like the jango with blue visor i have, and its box was dammaged.

Dar' Argol
06-12-2002, 11:29 AM
Ever notice how I always reply to a WM thread:rolleyes: :D.

Anywho, he's the low down. WM has idiots stacking their truck! Yes, I know its a shock but its true. In order to get as much new merchandise to the stores, rarely do they use pallets to pack the truck. No, they stack it from floor to ceiling. So after many, many miles of travel to the store, some of it falls onto other parts, damaging them. Most times, if they take a photo of it b/4 it gets off the truck, and contacts the warehouse, they can have it sent back. And sometimes there are problems.

Case in point, during the 4/23 shipments that we got, 2 cases were crushed. Half the figs in the cases could be resold. There was only little damage to the bubble. The other half was not sellable. So I took them to our claims dept. They informed me that Hasbro would not take anything back if there was no photo record of the damage before it came off the truck. Also, we had to have at least 10 cases to send them at a worth of $300 in cost! So that is why you may find some stores with damaged figures. We cannot send them back, nor get credit for it, so we need to sell it.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Anywho, he's the low down. WM has idiots stacking their truck! Yes, I know its a shock but its true. In order to get as much new merchandise to the stores, rarely do they use pallets to pack the truck. No, they stack it from floor to ceiling. So after many, many miles of travel to the store, some of it falls onto other parts, damaging them. Most times, if they take a photo of it b/4 it gets off the truck, and contacts the warehouse, they can have it sent back. And sometimes there are problems.

I know what the problem is, DA. WM's sending these guys to the Albertson's school of grocery bagging. Their motto is "If it doesn't get smashed then you don't pass." :dead:

Old Fossil
06-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Years ago I worked as a 'receiving associate' at a local Wal-Mart. As was posted above, most of the trucks were stacked floor to ceiling with boxes, with only pet food or bleach usually 'palletized.' Thus you could have walled layers upon layers of boxes of stuff including dishwashing detergent, motor oil, bottled water, paint cans, cases of shoes, shampoo, VCR's, and maybe a little box marked 'Hasbro Star Wars' buried down deep.

So, although the Hasbro Star Wars figure boxes are relatively strong, it is easy for them to get squashed by a case of Penzoil 10W40 as the trucks careen down our interstates en route to their destinations.

Between shipping, and scalper and anti-scalper activities, the life of a MOMC Star Wars figure is fraught with peril...

KEBco
06-12-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Darth Annexis
Yesterday my wife was shopping at Walmart and came across a Han Solo Endor Raid figure........When I got the figure, the product was fine but the card looked like someone had stepped on it. I decided to take it back to Walmart to get some answers. I spoke with an Assistant Manager .........
Now the real story. He assured me that the figures were not damaged by customers (I was shocked that he would stick up for the scalpers). He told me that they arrived that way. He said that their shipments arrive loose in the carton, meaning that they do not arrive on a palate. The carton could have been stacked at the bottom of a carton of bleach or other heavy item and that the weight would crush the Star Wars Carton. At first I thought this was a crock...then I went back to the toy department to investigate...sure enough, every figure in the section (20 or so) were damaged in the same manner. The Card appeared to be crushed from the side...only the pressure of the air in side the bubble must have supported what ever was stacked above...

It most likely is not Walmart's problem. We have ordered and received three different shipments of the Luke Bespin wave and about 70% of the cases in each shipment have been damaged. Most of our shipments are by Roadway Express or Fed Ex as is all of our other waves, so I do not think they are being damaged by the shipper. The cases appear to be a re-pack. The Han Solo is one per case and so far none of these have been damaged, but almost all of the Luke and Vader Bespins have some type of card damage. It just looks to me to be coming from the Hasbro warehouse??? Just hope this does not become a regular problem.:(

sideswipe1984
06-12-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by KEBco

It most likely is not Walmart's problem. We have ordered and received three different shipments of the Luke Bespin wave and about 70% of the cases in each shipment have been damaged. Most of our shipments are by Roadway Express or Fed Ex as is all of our other waves, so I do not think they are being damaged by the shipper. The cases appear to be a re-pack. The Han Solo is one per case and so far none of these have been damaged, but almost all of the Luke and Vader Bespins have some type of card damage. It just looks to me to be coming from the Hasbro warehouse??? Just hope this does not become a regular problem.:(

The sealed case that I had ordered from AFE, and mentioned above WAS the Luke Bespin Wave also, so that would substatiate your theory. The box itself was in good condition, and obviously not damaged. But once I got to the goodies inside, I was miffed that the cards themselves were bent up pretty noticeably.

brianped
06-12-2002, 01:37 PM
I have probally looked through 30 Vader and Luke Bespins and every single once is creased on the back? Any advise for finding Mint Vaders?

Dar' Argol
06-12-2002, 01:44 PM
brianped, I merged your post here b/c we are talking about the same thing.
BTW, you might want to activate your Private Messaging so if something like this happens, Someone can let you know instantly.

Darth Cruel
06-12-2002, 06:57 PM
I feel the need to come to WM's defense. Here in the Central Cali Coast where I have been temporarily working (for 8 months), I have seen some of the damage that you all mention. But at the WMs here it is very infrequent. They seem to take the Star Wars craze very seriously and in a friendly manner.

On an added note, they keep the selection large and seem to do a good job at having the newest and hardest-to-find stuff available usually without searching for more than about a week.

Kudos to the Salinas, CA Wal-Mart.

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 11:09 PM
KEBco, that sucks! If that's the case, do you think it is "trickle-down" style where only the little retailers get this, or do you think Hasbro's simply repacking mangled packaging and sending them out to every retailer, big AND small?

KEBco
06-13-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
KEBco, that sucks! If that's the case, do you think it is "trickle-down" style where only the little retailers get this, or do you think Hasbro's simply repacking mangled packaging and sending them out to every retailer, big AND small?

:rolleyes: I think it's a problem for everyone. In the past, when we were must smaller, I would have have said Hasbro just does this to the small retailer, but we are not that small anymore. The cases appear to be crushed from the side. This would happen when a case is pushed by another case, possibly on a conveyor in their warehouse. The curling may be caused by the weight of multiple boxes being stacked on each other. The cardboard being used is a single wall type. In the past all cases were made out of a double wall cardboard. I'm sure this is being used to cut cost as well as shipping costs. Bottom line is this is a problem for all of us. Retailers having to deal with damaged merchandise and collectors not being able to find mint figures. Complaints have been made to Hasbro, by us and many more.

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 03:01 AM
Thanks for responding, and you'll have to pardon me, I didn't mean to infer that KEBco was a small retailer, I was more thinking the big guys - Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart, KB, TRU - vs everybody else. Sounds like a nasty situation for companies who promise their customers mint figures in order to compete with said "big guys".

sunblind
06-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Darth Cruel
Padawan

Post #17

I feel the need to come to WM's defense. Here in the Central Cali Coast where I have been temporarily working (for 8 months), I have seen some of the damage that you all mention. But at the WMs here it is very infrequent. They seem to take the Star Wars craze very seriously and in a friendly manner.

On an added note, they keep the selection large and seem to do a good job at having the newest and hardest-to-find stuff available usually without searching for more than about a week.

Kudos to the Salinas, CA Wal-Mart.****

It must be different for us here in Michigan. Because it's going on week 4 without any shelf activity. The pegs are getting bare and figs hanging up still are all the peg warmers. I havent really noticed any change. Its like watching the grass grow over here. Wheres any of these supposed new figures??