PDA

View Full Version : Ben

MikeAndTheBots
06-11-2002, 04:48 PM
I don't think its been mentioned yet but will Obi-Wan get the nick name or whatever Ben in episode 3? It hasn't been mentioned in ep1/2 yet so does it have to do with the clone wars or something?

saladin
06-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Maybe it's a call sighn leader, or for secret mission a code name.

Laserbrain
06-11-2002, 07:45 PM
"I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since, oh before you were born..."

It's a good bet he'll adopt the name before the end of the movie. Another wrinkle that may give ground to the theory of the Jedi having to go underground.

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Hey! I just had an epiphany! During Obi-Wan and Vaders first confrontation (after Anakin is turned to Vader) Obi Wan sees what Anakin has become. he pleads with him...

OB1: Anakin..I can feel the good in you...
Vader: That name no longer has any meaning for me.
OB1: What do you intend to do to me?
(Vader pauses)
OB1: I can feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hatred. Please.
Vader: You do not know the power of the dark side. Obi Wan Kenobi dies this day. My master has forseen it. (There is a long pause, then he points to the ship Obi Wan was trying to escape in)Go. I am sparing your life. Go. Go and don't come back.

After that, Obi Wan Kenobi ceases to exist "from a certain point of view..." (Okay so the dialogue was spotty, but you get the picture...)

jawaboy
06-11-2002, 09:08 PM
I think he takes the name Ben because in the next movie we will see the great Jedi Purge. They will be hunted down and hated. He has left the order, never achieving Jedi Master.

scruffziller
06-27-2002, 12:10 AM
It is hard to tell since we do not even know what point in the story will be the episode and what important ground GL decides to cover.

Obi-Don
06-27-2002, 05:17 AM
I think its just a name he takes on when he goes in to hiding.

DeadEye
06-27-2002, 09:16 AM
Lucas/McCallum said Obi-Wan fans (like me!) :D will be most pleased with some of the things Kenobi does in Ep3.

LTBasker
06-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Maybe he'll build his ANH saber and actually not lose it until ANH. :D

ChemOx
06-29-2002, 01:22 AM
I think it is just a moniker that he adopts when he moves to Tatooine, just keep Luke unawares. Couldnt tell you know.....will just have to be a suprise for me

AdmiralPiett
07-02-2002, 06:10 AM
I disagree with eternalpadawan. I do NOT think Anakin will spare Obi-Wan's life because in ANH, Vader says: "When I left you, I was but the LEARNER, now I am the master." He's not going to call himself the learner if he had to spare Obi-Wan's life.
Piett

MikeAndTheBots
07-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
I disagree with eternalpadawan. I do NOT think Anakin will spare Obi-Wan's life because in ANH, Vader says: "When I left you, I was but the LEARNER, now I am the master." He's not going to call himself the learner if he had to spare Obi-Wan's life.
Piett
Actually, if you think about it learner may not mean apprentice. THink of it as he learned from his mistake of letting him go and now he knows better (he's now a master of evil).

Jedi Clint
07-02-2002, 01:23 PM
I doubt he will intentionally let him escape.

Rogue II
07-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Leia mentions Obi Wan serving her father as a General in the Clone Wars. I can't wait to see that.

Then again, being a General would be impressive if the Rebel Alliance didn't just hand out rank like candy...for example: General Lando?

morecow299
07-06-2002, 11:23 AM
he will probably change his name when anakin turns to the dark side
in ROTJ kenobi says that when anakin turned he was no longer anakin...he was darth vader
maybe the same was with him
when obi saw that he failed with anakin he kind of died and turned into ben and gave up the jedi ways

DarthBatman
07-07-2002, 02:53 AM
I always thought he just used it when in hiding. Going by the name Obi Wan probably wasn't a good idea when you're trying to hide from the most powerful man in the galaxy.

Jedi Clint
07-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Unless Vader believes Obi Wan has died.

morecow299
07-07-2002, 03:48 PM
that could be because vader seemed surprised when he saw obi at the death star

El Chuxter
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Since it wasn't in the final cut of the film, here's how it was scripted:

Obi-Wan is flying to Tatooine with baby Luke. He's monologuing to Luke about how he'll have to go into hiding. "I'll need a new name," he says, "but what?"

Then he turns on the radio and hears the dulcet tones of a young Michael Jackson: "Ben, the two of us need look no more. We've both found what we were looking for."

And now you know the rest of the story.

</goldenshovel>

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
And now you know the rest of the story.

</goldenshovel>But, wanna know what's slightly lamer? According to The Life and Legend of O-WK book, the name "Ben" came from a hill. Really.

: platinumshovel:

TeeEye7
01-12-2009, 04:16 AM
But, wanna know what's slightly lamer? According to The Life and Legend of O-WK book, the name "Ben" came from a hill. Really.

: platinumshovel:

Yeah. Pike's Peak was already taken, so he adopted "Ben"ny Hill. Really.

;)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Obi-Wan saw the name "Ben's Mesa" on a map when he was looking to build a home, so he adopted that name as his nom de plume. Really seriously. See? No emoticon.

TeeEye7
01-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Ah, shucks! Can't a feller do a little funnin'? :hurt:

TheDarthVader
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Ah, shucks! Can't a feller do a little funnin'? :hurt:

NO. Sorry........NO.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
NO. Sorry........NO.True. This is a serious thread, serious issue to discuss.

:seriousemoticon:

JEDIpartner
01-13-2009, 08:07 PM
After that rough battle, Obi-Wan was a bit sore. He looked down at a tube of muscle creme which read "Ben Gay" on the label.

"Ben Gay? Ben... gay... Why, yes I am," he thought. "Yes, I am!"

:don't hit:

TeeEye7
01-13-2009, 09:01 PM
True. This is a serious thread, serious issue to discuss.

:seriousemoticon:

NO. Sorry........NO.

TI7 lowers heads, turns around and walks slowly away.........

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
... aaaaaaaand we're back! Thanks to Siri Usposts for monitoring the thread while we were out, but now it's time to allow this to open up.

Remember all the possiblities prior to Episode I coming out, like that "Obi-Wan" was a clone name (i.e. Obi-1, Obi-2, etc.)? Or that he had "been" Kenobi before but wanted to forget his old name? But I found out really why he became Ben.

Wait for it...

wait...

... it's an acronym: Barely Eats Now. :confused: :p
Maybe it was better to be serious... :rolleyes: