PDA

View Full Version : How did YOU find Sirstevesguide.com??

Dar' Argol
06-11-2002, 09:58 PM
I have been wanting to post this question for some time now. Also, the reason it is stickied is b/c I want everyone to see this and post.

We all know why we are here, Star Wars! And by far, IMO, this is the best site for all things Star Wars, and some not! So, How did you find it???

Here's my story. It was November of 2000 and I just got my Dec 2000 Issue # 40 Toyfare in the mail. I was reading through the entire magazine when on page 74 I came across an artical entilted, "Catching Toys in the 'Net: Download". On page 75 there was an artical called, "Who is SirSteve?. Below is a pic of that artical. If you can't read it, here it is:

He's Hasbro's Most Wanted Star Wars Insider
Movies aren't the only things getting scooped and "spoiled" by internet news sites-toys are targets, too. One of the best sites around has gotton amazing info, and annoyed the heck outta Hasbro along the way.
"Sir Steve," the mysterious head of www.sirstevesguide.com, has been in the Web-scoopin' game for five years. He started his site in 1995, made some contacts within Hasbro, and before long became a wellspring of insider Star Wars information. Nobody Knows anything about him.
How good is Sir Steve's info? Somehow, he's known about every single major Hasbro Star Wars scoop before Hasbro's announced it, and he's been dead-on almost every time. His biggest scoop? "(I was) the first to show Episode I Hasbro toys, Thanksgiving weekend 1998," Sir Steve says. "We did over 1 million page views that weekend!"
Toy fans may love this site, but Hasbro is not amused. "While we do not want to comment about Sir Steve's activity, we do want Star Wars fans to know that we are making great effots to report the true and accurate new product information at www.starwars.hasbro.com," Said Holly Ingram, Public Relations Manager for Hasbro, Inc. "We encourage fans to contact us if they want to verify any rumors."
Sir Steve contends he plays fair. He sat on Episode I images for "months" prior to the Thanksgiving weekend post. "I believed the world should at least see the Episode I trailer prior to seeing these toys," he says.
He also distances himself from sites that prints rumors as fact. "Everything we post is checked out and verified before it gets posted. When you read it on SSG, you can say it's the next best thing to Hasbro confirming it."
Hasbro, naturally, would not confirm that statement.
-James Busbee

The site pic has "Hasbro POTJ toys 9/1/2000 The upcoming 12" Bossk." and "Hasbro POTJ toys 8/25/2000 Bespin Luke Skywalker with CD ROM"

Since that artical I visited SSG for new figure info. I was not aware if he had a forum at the time or not. I visited that site from time to time since the day I read that artical. Then in Feb, 2002 I see a Toyfare Vader giveaway. I passed on it. A day later I came back and entered the contest. Of course, many of you that did the same thing know you had to register in the forum to enter. So I did and I entered the contest. Then I started looking around the forum and found it a fun place to be! I started posting and the rest leads to here!

So how did the rest of you find Sir Steve?? I want to here this:D

figrin bran
06-11-2002, 10:14 PM
i'm not exactly sure where i heard about this site but i believe it was in one of the action figure magazines, toyfare or tomart's or lee's around spring of 99. i used to just read the posts and did not register until recently.

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2002, 10:17 PM
I performed a search for "Star Wars" one day about 2 or 3 years ago and saw SSG listed as one of the results. From then on I began checking in and looking around. I really enjoyed the site. I never looked at the forums then, just at the pics and the articles. Then I decided to try out the forums. I liked them so much I registered in January and the rest is history!!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-11-2002, 10:37 PM
I found out about SSG about 5-6 years ago. I was looking for a site about Star Wars figures and SSG was one of the first sites I visited. I remember that it used to be under jedinet.com's URL. The site had purple words and a black background. I also remember a cartoon version of a character popped up when you highlighted a category. Ah, the good 'ol days...

SirSteve
06-11-2002, 11:01 PM
Wow! I like this thread already! ;)

I would like to hear how you found the site as well...

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2002, 11:04 PM
Its all about you, Steve!!
We are your biggest fans!!

Dar' Argol
06-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Yeah SirSteve, That artical was the whole reason for me finding this site. You remember doing it?? Anyway, I've wanted to do this thread for a long time, I just had to find my Toyfare with the artical. So, what are your thoughts on that artical SirSteve, now almost 2 years later. And the site pic was funny!!

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 11:27 PM
DA, I think one of the stories in the screengrab that TF put up was one of my first. :D

Anyway, I don't remember how I first found the site because it's been around 5 years. I remember WHERE I was when I found it though, I was using internet pay stations in a coffee house in Hollywood and wanted to learn about upcoming Kenner SW figures. Don't remember if it was a search engine or a link from another site, but I got here and checked out all the new pics and made sure to remember the site name. Later, when I got my computer, SSG was the first non-work bookmark in it, and not that long after I began sending in a few scans of the occasional new toy I'd find before anybody else. After a while, SirSteve offered me a position as MM editor, and it took me a while to take the bait 'cause I didn't think I was good enough or had enough time... and I still don't. ;)

Darth Sinister
06-11-2002, 11:53 PM
I remember: I was on a site called "TheSith.Com" and it had a link to this site. That was over 3 years ago and I was hooked. It has been a great site and one I visit every day. Although I don't post here much, I still read the forums daily.....I guess I'm still scared of the Internal Servi..........I can't say it, sorry. LOL

Beast
06-12-2002, 12:01 AM
I believe I came across the site, back in 1998. I was mostly a lurker on the web back then, not much of an active participant anywhere. Even after E1 came out, and I collected the figures and enjoyed reading the old forums, I didn't post much. I remeber some of the big occurances in SSG's past though. Like being forced by Hasbro to take a picture of the then never before seen Aunt Beru figure down. Which was replaced with a little throw together drawing of how the figure would look.

It wasn't until this year did I step forward and start sharing my sick obseesion...err, knowledge and info, as well as enjoying discussing the stuff with the great community here. Now, the next step needs to be made, Sir Steve.....bring back the chatroom? You know that is the only way to shut me up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 01:17 AM
Well when I first started meeting other SW fans on-line it was over at JediNet.com because I had a newspaper clipping that had a list of the first BIG SW sites on the net but I forget what year that was from - SSG wasn't on it though. I used to chat alot in chat rooms and one day in JediNet's chat someone refered me to the SSG chat room and I started going to SSG's chat since JediNet's chat program was poodoo.

Well I used the SSG chat for quite awhile actually I was under a different alias. I remember going to the Kevin J. Anderson and Phil Brown chats too. Well after awhile the SSG chat room really went downhill and basically I never really cared for SSG that much. Well the reason why I joined the forums was because of actually BritCit3 and VulcanTouch because I had been scouring the net to learn more about Star Trek micro-machines and I remembered that SSG's forum had a micro-machine board so that's why I joined the forums. (under this alias, I've never used my regular one on the forums really)

Basically why I became very active on this forum even though I'm not really a fan of SSG (no offense) was because it's one of the more active SW Collecting boards that I've found plus it has a micro-machine board with people who do actually have brains that aren't in their wallets and plus my old friend JJB is here which I actually knew before the forums and I've made some other friends here. :cool:

That was a little long and a little too detailed I think but I felt like going a little more indepth with that answer. :happy:

TeeEye7
06-12-2002, 06:52 AM
My story tends to mirror what has already been stated here:

My (then 7 year old) son was interested in obtaining SW figures as I had recently introduced him to the Trilogy on video. Unfortunately, not all figures he wanted were available at TRU, Target, etc. We happened upon a scal...er...collectibles store where we picked up the figures for which he was searching. The place was like a museum with figures from vintage to recent releases. We were soon hooked into collecting from our experience there.

I wanted to find out more about SW figures and performed a search. That is how I found SSG. I was (am) a novice with computers and I was happy with how easily I was able to navigate throughout the site. It's always been a comfortable site; filled with information from toys to movies to conventions to....whatever! The staff and membership is the best bar none. SirSteve fosters a wonderful environment here, and that's what's kept me here since the "black and purple" days!

Jargo
06-12-2002, 06:56 AM
If I remember correctly, it was sometime in 1999 that I did a search for action figures and stumbled into the site. can't say I was impressed to begin with because I'd only just started using a PC and everything was wacked at the time. I guess it was a year later that I found my way into the forums. I'd been reading them for a while and decided on a whim to register. And although I knew it would annoy the hell out people (and also not knowing about netiquette) I burst into here and posted like crazy thinking the best way to arrive was loudly......... okay, bad move. But it did get me noticed and people remember those days with 'fondness' now. :D ;) But once I very quickly realised the rules of the game I settled down to the kind loving caring and helpful user you all know and love. I occasionally wander away from here but something always draws me back. Other sites just don't have the same family feeling.
But yeah, to answer the question succinctly, I found this place through a search.

icatch9
06-12-2002, 07:25 AM
I remeber I was serching ebay last January. This was right when the photos of the B Wing first came out. Anyway, someone was trying to pre-sell some B Wings with photos takesn from Sir Steve. You know how he has his logo on all the photos. So, I thought if this yahoo stole this spanking new photo from Sir Steve, then Sir Steve must have some pretty good info. I've been hooked ever since.

I didn't start posting until a year later. Never much had the time until then. Now I do, and have learned many things by posting.

This is a great site, and all the others just don't compair in the same ways!

Darth Nihilus
06-12-2002, 09:34 AM
It was basically E-Bay that helped me find my way to this site. I was looking at Episode 2 toys and I noticed that quite a few sellers referenced SSG pics or info. So I took a look at some of the pics and stuff on the site. I didn't decide to join until my anticipation of Ep2 reached fever pitch and I needed to talk to others to vent my anxiety.

Jonna
06-12-2002, 09:43 AM
Yahoo search engine afew years ago..I think!

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 10:59 AM
The year before EP1 came out, Ain't It Cool News had a little blurb on the figures and credited it to SSG. I checked out the link and was hooked ever since.

stormie
06-12-2002, 12:47 PM
I'm not positive about when--probably around '97 or '98--but I found SSG through a search engine while looking for the newest Star Wars toy information. This and about three other sites became my daily fixes for SW news. The forums never held much interest for me until my collection became overwhelming...then I just had to start talking to others with the same sickness...er, I mean, interest. :D

billfremore
06-12-2002, 12:49 PM
I found it back in 99' from a link from another site, might have been theforce.net

SaeseeTiin
06-12-2002, 12:50 PM
My story is quite weird. A long time ago, when my family first got a computer and the internet in early 1998 I think, I explored the internet a lot for Star Wars, since I had been a fan since 1997 with the 20th Anniversary re-release. Anyway, at one point. After going through the official site and such, I came across Yahoo!. I searched for Star Wars and gradually went through the pages. On about the fourth page I came across 'SirSteve's etc...'. I instantly, I admit thought it would be a site done by a man who would be above himself due to the name and in a sense for that reason I looked on it, and thought it wasn't a bad site. From then on I occasionly looked on the site, with, around two-thirds of a year before Ep1, I started to come here more often due to the increase of merchendise.
Still I didn't come on loads. Early last year I suddenly went Star Wars crazy, and became a Star Wars completist. With that I came on this site even more, and finally with the new forums started in late August or whenever it was last year I joined and since then I visit every day. Admittedly I don't post a huge amount amount but I do enjoy everything thats said, so I visit every day for quite a while.
Thanks for reading this.

STiin

sithkiller
06-12-2002, 02:20 PM
I heard of this site from another Star Wars site that I visit.:cool:

Arrogant Arse
06-12-2002, 02:50 PM
I found it the same way as some others who went through E-Bay. In late 1999 I was looking at some auctions (probably for HoloSidious-Still don't have UUUGH!) and saw the logo. Just kept hitting this sight. I like it. Info is very good.

SirSteve
06-12-2002, 03:04 PM
Wow! I am touched! The ToyFare article was fun to do... thanks everyone for your continued support. We have managed to be a top Star Wars site for many years and we will continue to make the site better!

DarthBrandon
06-12-2002, 03:08 PM
Way back in late 96 or 97 I was looking for info on StarWars, so I typed in search on Yahoo or something like that and Voila. I've been here ever since and decided this was the place for me. I found other sites tried to rival this one and never even compared to it what so ever. I've just recently got into posting because mostly I was just looking for news,pics of figures, and anything that SirSteve could shell out. Now I'm a little more in tune with this site, talking with other members and sharing S.W. memories and general chats,trading,etc. Great site Sir Steve and I'm wondering when it's all over ( the movies and collecting ) maybe we should all meet somewhere at a convention or something once and for all. I think it would be cool to meet all the individuals that have participated in the forums for all this time. Just an idea, keep up the good work and by for now.

master jedi
06-12-2002, 03:09 PM
I think I heard of SSG from Toy Fare.

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 04:30 PM
With all these ebay finds, I gotta wonder how many folks came here from those 12" Darth Maul boxes. :D (Back in '99, there were hundreds of auctions for 12" Maul and a VERY large percentage of them had the SSG picture with the URL on it. I hear a lot of sellers were asked why Hasbro put "www.SIRSTEVESGUIDE.com" and if it would come off the box when they received it ;))

Jedi Juice
06-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Well, it all started May 1999. When I heard that EP1 was releasing new figures to collaborate with the movie, I decided to collect those, considering the fact that I've never collected Star Wars before. I saw the movie a few times and decided t osearch Star Wars on Yahoo. Well, this site was listed so I gave it a try. I found the content most enjoyable and full of good news about the figures and upcoming releases on future figures. I thought I hit a goldmine. Well, I used to have another nickname on the original sight back in 99 (can't remember though), but after 2000, I sorta lost "sight" of the site and forgot about it until Ep2. Anyway, I am an active participant once again.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Sinister:
Although I don't post here much, I still read the forums daily.....I guess I'm still scared of the Internal Servi..........I can't say it, sorry. LOL
ISE is why I came here. It beckoned me, seductively promising me posts that never fail... or not. I am one of the many search engine-ites; I'd assume it was Alta Vista back then, for "star wars action figures." I got my first (so far only) internet-accessible computer in May of '99, and I think I started here in June. I have so many fond memories, most of which are gone because the old Old Forums are, too!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-12-2002, 10:03 PM
Just like a lot of posters here, I found the site off a search engine (Excite to be exact). As a primary Micro Machines/Action Fleet collector, I searched for those words and came up with this site. This was in June of 2000. I immediately registered to become a forum user and have been posting off and on since.

Definitely the number one Star Wars fan site!

Dar' Argol
06-13-2002, 06:19 AM
Wow! Lots of searchs going on. Well SirSteve, looks like all the $ put into the search engines paid off! What I remember of the site when I first saw it was it had a red Vader helmet at the top left with "Sir Steve's Guide to Star Wars" at the top. I think I was looking for some of the new EP1 Figs. I remember the color scheme was red and black at the time. Anyway I was totaly impressed by the amount of pics that were available:eek:. SirSteve even had stuff that Toyfare didn't, which was at the time my main source of SW figure pics. And I still come here for the figure pics, but the forum's got me hooked:rolleyes:

DARTH DUBIOUS
06-13-2002, 07:58 AM
I cruised in here off the back of a rival site. They had some artical or other that had some stolen stuff or pics or somethin'. I followed the link and found my way into this madhouse. Kinda cool though I don't say much most times. Just don't have that much I want to talk about. I really only come to cream off the news and see what's what. It's been a bit crazy here lately with the millions of new people all talking at the same time. Thought I'd wait for the hubbub to die down a bit before piping up again.
Definately the best end of the net though. :)

Eternal Padawan
06-13-2002, 08:04 AM
A buddy of mine was randomly searching generalized action figure websites back in '97 (around the S.E.s coming out) and found the link to SSG. He told me it was Steve Sansweet's own website. It had lots of up to the minute SW toy coverage so I checked in on a regular basis over the next few years. I even flipped through the forums once in a blue moon, but never posted. Eventually, I took the plunge and began posting regularly about a year ago, and it was then I found out SirSteve is NOT Steve Sansweet. But it was too late. I was hooked. ;)

bigbarada
06-13-2002, 09:49 AM
Back in 1999, just a few days before Midnight Madness, I did a search for "star wars episode one toy pics" and, as expected, about a million sites popped up. I saw the name "SirSteve" and immediately thought Steve Sansweet so I clicked on the site and was immediately impressed that so many photos existed for all the first waves of Ep1 figures. I printed off about 35 pages of pictures and mailed them all to my brother, I was so excited about them. I became an addict to this site during those early days of Ep1 toys.

While I was in Korea, in 2000, SSG, BriansToys and starwars.com were the only sites I would visit to get info on the movies and upcoming action figures. I would usually check out which figures were coming out on this site, then immediately head on over to BT's to order them.

It wasn't until June or July 2001 that I saw a pic of the TIE Bomber and the rehashed Imperial pilot that I even noticed the forums. I was so angry about Hasbro releasing the exact same pilot figure yet again that once I saw the "Discuss this in our forums" link I clicked on it. Of course, I still had to register and by the time I got done browsing around I totally forgot about the initial topic I wanted to discuss. I've yet to start a thread based on the news that annoyed me enough to start posting here.

Just think, if Hasbro had simply resculpted the TIE Pilot for the Bomber then I never would have found my way to these forums and the world would never known of bigbarada.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that SSG is my home page and 99% of my time on the internet is spent here. I've made some real friends here and while sometimes the discussion can get a little heated they always manage to remain civilized.

Croaker
06-13-2002, 09:55 AM
I found this site through a search engine as well.

That was waaayy back in 95/96. It was after the first wave had come out and I was looking for information on what else Kenner was planning on making.
The site certainly was different back then!!

I've watched it go through several incarnations (mostly design changes) but I've always stayed here for the best info.

Ahhhh the I.S.E. i'd almost forgotten about him.
Anyone else get the feeling that he's still lurking about, like a sith lord, waiting to make his comeback?

lunchymeatball
06-13-2002, 10:04 AM
I'm quite a recent user of SSG which I found through a search engine.
I had seen it a few times but was looking for sites to buy from originally, then bored at work one day it popped up on the engine and I peeked inside.
After a few peeks I started reading the forums, then after a few more weeks I plucked up the courage to post, then spent about a week looking for something to reply to.
Now I'm a hardened veteran with nearly 50 posts to my name:D

DeadEye
06-13-2002, 11:17 AM
I read in an issue of the Insider around 1998, which listed www.jediknight.net/sirsteve as a great SW site. I stuck with the site, mainly to look at pictures of the action figures. The site eventually changed to ssg.com, of course. When I saw the pics of the AOTC figures, I decided I just had to know more about them so I joined these forums. :cool:

mabudonicus
06-13-2002, 12:48 PM
For me it was that toyfare article as well, or at least some kind of mention in one of those mags. I never saw the forums either, but I came to the site a lot, then in december I got back online, stumbled on the forums and was hooked ever since.
I'm glad this site exists. Thank EVERYONE!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Lord Malakite
06-13-2002, 08:05 PM
I remember it like yesterday. I found this site back in 1996-97 when I started searching the web for the very first time (I don't think I have to tell you what I was searching for). At the time rebelscum was wiseacres and this site had a lovely black background with neon purple letters. I also believe it was just before that whole Zoltar/SirSteve crap hit the fan. I would often visit this site and its forums from the time I found it to present day, but I didn't actually sign up for the forums until September of last year.

Overall, I'm pleased at how this site has turned out over the years. Keep up the good work SirSteve. :cool:

sideswipe1984
06-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Back in 1996, when I first started collecting the modern line, I was doing a search for sites covering it. Low and behold, there ssg was.

good shot jansen
06-14-2002, 12:59 PM
december 1999, hasbro decided to shut down the galoob buzz board :( , somone had posted that jt, (who we all knew by a different name back then) was moderating a micro machines section over here at ssg. unfortunately, not everyone who had posted regularly over at the buzz made it here, but the main core of posters in the mm section, all are former galoobies who after being forced into the diaspora have since found a permanent home here at ssg! :)

WesleySr
06-14-2002, 01:28 PM
I found it on a link from another site. An old friend who went by JediJimmie.

InsaneJediGirl
06-14-2002, 05:55 PM
I found SSG back in 1997/Early 1998.My family had just goten the Internet and saw this site on a search engine.Sometime between late 1998 and 2000,I stoped coming to SSG when the Offical Starwars Chats on Talkcity cought my eye.Then,I was at :Pirate:TFN:Pirate: and saw they copied a SSG newsblur and stuck it on their site.

So,I followed the link and I've been at SSG ever since.Now its my #1 source for all things SW :D

AT-AT Man
06-15-2002, 01:06 AM
Well i searched for Star Wars toys in my search rngine and found SSG and went to the site for info, then i later found the link to the forums and i joined as soon as i found them. Love it here no where else compares to this place.

chewie
06-15-2002, 02:35 PM
I found out this site in mid-late 1998. Right when EP1 fever hit and I got semi-excited about Star Wars again. I was here for toy spoilers and movie spoilers of all kinds, and still am today. I think some other site linked to sirsteves and mentioned this one as being one of the best, and yeah, it is.

Obi-Don
06-16-2002, 05:48 AM
After I got back into collecting a friend told me about the site. He said if I wanted to know about new things coming out, I should try there. I just looked around for a while and then got on the forums. Good people here and its a good site,One of if not the best. Thanks SirSteve.

Exhaust Port
06-16-2002, 09:04 AM
I was searching for info. about upcoming 12" SW figure releases through a search engine and came upon this site. I was amazed by the ease of the page layouts and abundance of pictures. It's a great resource for a collector of anything Star Wars! Keep up the great work.

Darth Detori
06-17-2002, 09:34 AM
heck that was YEARS ago. I'll give credit to Toyfare though- I got a lot of info in my younger years from them

scruffziller
06-17-2002, 04:44 PM
I was referred by Mr. GiftGalaxy of Gift Galaxy Toys in Oklahoma.

pinoysith
06-19-2002, 01:44 AM
... is when I found out about this site. Dunno how I stumbled on here exactly, but I know I was searching for a site featuring the new EP1 figs, and SSG had tons. I was still an undergrad at the UW (Go Huskies!) and have been hooked ever since.

Mostly, I just read the toy and movie forums and hardly ever contribute. The EP1 toy forum back in '99... man those were good times! I fondly remember threads about Dennis The Phantom Menace and his 12 Yodas, and also some "weekend-get-together" at some dude's house (an SSG forum member and other SSG forum members) and they were posting pics and stuff, then other forums members raggin' on how nerdy they were... yeah... that was great.

Big up to Bananapunk! Man, if you're still out there, holla at a brotha!

Emperor Howdy
06-19-2002, 02:25 AM
It was written on the stall wall of a grungy adult bookstore restroom. "For a good time, try sirstevesguide.com". Of course, back then the picture gallery was A LOT different.

jjreason
06-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Word of mouth, or rather word of email. A collector friend from the US pointed me here for news on SW toys.

Rogue II
06-22-2002, 09:05 PM
I was searching Yahoo for Star Wars websites about 4 years ago. I was looking for stuff on the POTF2 line. It was the best site of all the ones I found, so I stuck with it, and still do.

Ahh, sometimes I miss those POTF2 days.....

SuperBattleDroid88
06-22-2002, 10:20 PM
I forgot?!?! :p

RAVAZ
06-22-2002, 11:31 PM
I used to post on Sir Steve's forums a few years back under the username Evil Zavar. I used to come here for info on collecting. Seeing what was hot. I swore I would not get caught up in the frenzy of toy collecting like I did when TPM came out, but as you can all see I failed miserably. Oh well!

RAVAZ
06-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Oh! I found this site by doing a simple search on Yahoo and enjoyed it ever since.

187-Maul
06-26-2002, 02:23 PM
my story is somewhat identicly to Jango_Fett96'
gound it in in a search-engine some years ago, but never visited the forums until I finally signed up in january

Darth Shifty
06-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Stumbled upon this site through Google while looking for info on the upcoming Saga set back in April.

chewiegurl1138
06-26-2002, 05:22 PM
My bestfriend and I were getting ready to go to Star Wars Weekends last year and he sent me a link to become a reporter for SSG. I've been coming here ever since. (BTW, SirSteve IS the coolest {besides GL of course} and we met him at SWW!)

Master Goeweins
06-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Back in '99 or maybe even late '98, before TPM was released. I was searching for anything I could get a see They had a whole lot of pictures of prototypes of the new toys. I knew that any website that could pull that off long before the toys were even near ready for shipping, had to be a site to be watched! This site is my number 1 SW toy info stop.

vulcantouch
06-26-2002, 11:55 PM
who'da guessed ssg was considered the net's badboy swtoysite :sur: i wouldn'ta known; i've heard talk of rebelscum.com, yakface.com & the like but have never cared enough to go check em out much. so i wouldn't know how ssg stacks up compared to them. nor do i much care. cuz i've found my saloon where i can tawk mms, and a man can only drink in one bar at a time anyway :dead: so now i no longer go Lookin for mm tawk; i let It look for Me (cuz everyone knows that any mm forum that boasts vt is The mm forum ;) )
in spring 99, on the galoob.com buzzboard i invited any of those forummers attending the sw celebration to a day of fun here in d'enver. i think the one guy who took me up on my offer showed me this site on tc (http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp)'s public net terminal (since removed). either that or jt aka Random Ranger on the old galoobb dropped ssg's name one too many times there & got me curious, so i came over to see what was up.
by the time hasbro eliminated galoob.com, jt had revealed to me that he was my longtime sparring-partner rr, so i suggested to everyone on my MMailing list that we regroup on his stompin grounds here :)
i'm glad to hear lbc's remark about finding it via an mm word engine-search, cuz i've always hoped that any isolated surfer out there who wanted to find a place to talk scifimms could find us thusly. (the direct link from bc3's mm site (http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/index2.htm) doesn't hurt neither :) )
vt

JediJeff77
07-01-2002, 03:35 PM
I found this site back in 1999. Someone on ebay was using one of the images from SSG and I decided to see where they stole the pic. :)

Nebulaz
07-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Did a googledotcom search for sw toy lists and he came up.

Lobito
07-05-2002, 05:57 PM
I also found this site thanks to Toy Fare...but i found this link in the letters section of that magazine...there was a guy saying that if u wanted to see the SW next gen figures, u should change from the Hasbro's SW site to SSG. So i did and here we are. The first years i just came to the page to see the pics of the figures, it was until later that i realized they had a Forums section.

Nebulaz
07-05-2002, 11:42 PM
I was the same as Lobito, i first came to this site to see pics aswell.

Admiral LSD
07-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Erm... I err... kind of followed Jason B here to continue an arguement he started over at teh old Volition boards...

*hides*

Jason B
07-07-2002, 01:29 PM
:D
It was over XP, and how much it sucked, and how they spy on you and everything, and nw here I am using XP. :rolleyes:

Needles
07-09-2002, 10:56 PM
I saw it listed in a search I was doing,after seeing EP1.This is the site I first found out about the Plo Koon figure(EP1)I waited 2-3 years for this fig to come out,anyway,Sir Steve has the best website(aside from NEOPETS.com
)Ive ever been on!

morecow299
07-10-2002, 07:33 PM
i found out about this site from a friend

jdmarlow
07-10-2002, 08:58 PM
Wow...it was a long time ago.

I don't remember the year but it was when the site was http://www.jedinet.com/sirsteve

Maybe Sirsteve can answer this better than I can, but does anybody know when he changed the site to the domain http://www.sirstevesguide.com?

In any case, I found the site one day just by browsing the net looking for Star Wars web sites. His came up and I've been viewing it ever since.

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 09:15 PM
I found it from a refrence in Toy Fare a LOOOONG time ago. I went to it a few times and then forgot about it. Then I saw that newer (Forgot what month, someone posted it) and remembered it. I then went to it a few more times forgot about it again and then finally when I heard about the new line something clicked and I've gone to this site almost daily since 4/21ish.

Darth Nitwit
07-10-2002, 10:34 PM
One of my friends told me about this site and it's great!

rynobot
07-11-2002, 10:05 PM
There is a link at Rebelscum.

MFH
07-12-2002, 09:24 PM
I was at Toys R Us at midnight, waiting to buy Ep1 stuff. Some guys in line were talking about Sir Steve's.

Pendo
07-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Not exactly an interesting story but I found it on a search engine. Maybe my story would be more exciting if I could remember which search engine I used, but then again I don't think it would make much difference.

PENDO!

Jango Mango
07-13-2002, 08:38 PM
I ussually hang out at the 1/6th Warrior forum and someone
over there was discussing the Clone Trooper and Jango Fett and
this forum.

DarthBatman
07-16-2002, 01:33 AM
My brother was over at my house one day and said "hey, go to www.sirstevesguide.com". Little did I know...

Thumb Wars
07-16-2002, 08:27 PM
my brother was searching for a bootleg copy of aotc and he was one google searching star wars. one of the names that stuck in my head was "sirsteve". so, when i got back to my place i tried every combination of this address until i found myself here. i never wrote down the address, so i had to go off of memory.

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 03:48 PM
I think I saw something about it a long time ago on Rebelscum.com

Deoxyribonucleic
07-18-2002, 05:11 PM
I did a 'net search for star wars collecting or something or other and this was one of the sites that came up. I never joined the forums though until recently...I guess I was shy :) but I'm sure glad I did...it's nice to know there are addicted collector's out there like myself :)

Padmé Skywalker
07-21-2002, 11:43 AM
i was looking for a star wars toy and i found this site

jet chan
07-22-2002, 07:28 PM
just did a google search and it was one of the sites, never realy tryed a forum of any type but am glad now that i did:D

thespar
07-26-2002, 01:32 PM
i just started collecting back after es1 came out and though i go look for info on the older toys just as i have for many other toys form the 80's ssg was the first one i found and i been here since tried a few other sites but kept coming back. join the forum at the time ssg start the email guess with the pigboy and beeen here since. have to say in my opion this site is better the rebelscum.

SirSteve
07-26-2002, 01:45 PM
I still enjoy reading these! Thanks everyone! :D

SirSteve
07-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by JediJeff77
I found this site back in 1999. Someone on ebay was using one of the images from SSG and I decided to see where they stole the pic. :)

Thus the reason I had to start "stamping" my images. I don't mind when others use them (unlike some sites), just as long as credit is there or the image is not altered.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
I still enjoy reading these! Thanks everyone! :D

Thanks to you too!!! :) Oh and it's finally nice to see what you look like...after ALL these years...I couldn't believe you posted not ONE but TWO pics of yourself :)

SirSteve
07-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by jdmarlow
Wow...it was a long time ago.

I don't remember the year but it was when the site was http://www.jedinet.com/sirsteve

Maybe Sirsteve can answer this better than I can, but does anybody know when he changed the site to the domain http://www.sirstevesguide.com?

In any case, I found the site one day just by browsing the net looking for Star Wars web sites. His came up and I've been viewing it ever since.

When my traffic was too much for Jedinet, I had to find a a new home. Action Online came knocking in 1998 and have been with them ever since. The whole domain name just kinda happened. I didn't want a domain name with Star Wars in it (due to legal reasons) so SirStevesGuide.com was born.

SirSteve
07-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

Thanks to you too!!! :) Oh and it's finally nice to see what you look like...after ALL these years...I couldn't believe you posted not ONE but TWO pics of yourself :)

Well, times change... it was always fun to hear the site being mentioned at the Hasbro booth and me being right there but them not knowing what I looked like. Things were done differently back then so I had to change with the times. Plus, it's cool to finally meet some of the sites visitors.

darthvyn
07-26-2002, 05:07 PM
i don't remember exactly how i came about ssg, but i definitely found it before episode 1, because i wanted to see some of the characters that would be in it, and the toys. every once in a while i would check out the forums, but i only registered in feb. 2002 because i wanted to comment on something i had heard about ep 2. i only started posting like a madman after ep 2, though. it's been an addiction since then.

El Chuxter
07-26-2002, 05:33 PM
I never responded to this? GAAAAAAH!!! :eek::Pirate:

Back around October 95 (I remember it because it was the first year my college offered Internet access with actual pictures), I did a search on Yahoo for Star Wars. I noticed a category for toys, which I'd not even thought about looking for. And found SSG on jedinet. I might've looked at it once or twice.

A couple of years later, when I had reliable internet access at home and work, I wanted pics of Episode I figures. I ran a search and found yakface.com. Didn't care too much for it, but somehow the rather distinctive name I'd seen on that site years earlier and ended up back here. And about six months or so later, after E1 hit theaters, I somehow found my way in here. They tried locking me in a padded room almost a year ago, but I'm still here. :crazed:

QLD
07-26-2002, 10:30 PM
I came in just before the release of Episode 1 myself. My friend and I had started collecting the figures again, and he told me about this place. He doesn't post here much anymore, but I stuck around. I used to be Obi-Wan Jabroni back in the old ISE days.....but I had to change when they did something on the site that affected some usernames, mine wouldn't log in anymore.

SOoooo......here I am, heck, I figured as soon as ol' Steve saw my username I'd be banned, but I guess now it has grown (heh) on everyone.

But, i love the site, I don't go to any others, because I don't care to. Well, I do go to rebelscum because they have a huge Atlanta Just Found section, but this is my home.

Even if No one will join the SSG fantasy football league. :D

jonboy
07-26-2002, 11:08 PM
I got on this site to trade for figs that I needed. I started browsing the forums and was hooked from there. I also met a member here who turned out to live only a half hour from me. We met up and now we are really good friends. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

Slicker
02-28-2007, 10:58 PM
I joined because of Cappy and Rocketboy.

I remember right after Cappy joined going to his apartment and getting on here to see what new figs were coming out. That must've been 2002 or 2003, years before I got internet access myself.

pbarnard
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I think i found it way back in the pre-episode I days as a way to preview the figures, didn't join the forums till much much later obviously.

sith_killer_99
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
WOW, props to SLICKER for digging up a thread that's 4 years 7 months and 1 day since the last post.

BTW, I found SSG via Google or was it hotbot?!?! Anyway, it was one of my early first attempts at running a web search, something Star Wars related. That was back in late 1999!

UKWildcat
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I was a member of SSG for a couple years before I created this screen name, but, I forgot what the screen name was, and the password, so I created a new one. With my old screen name I never posted or anything, I just lurked around in the shadows. I believe I found the site from doing some searches in Yahoo on SW figures.

Slicker
02-28-2007, 11:21 PM
WOW, props to SLICKER for digging up a thread that's 4 years 7 months and 1 day since the last post.

I'm actually proud of this dig since it's a semi-useful thread. It's kinda like the post a picture of yourself thread.

Kidhuman
03-01-2007, 06:30 AM
I found it by doing a Google search.

Blue2th
03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
I found SSG way back in 2000 or 01 on a super-slow WebTV. Browsing the MSN search engine for SW sites. Found a few, but this one seemed the best or easiest to post with my Fisher-Price WebTV computer. I had another name and password that I can't remember, and posted a few times. I came back a few years later when I got my Mac G5 as Blue2th.

CaptainSolo1138
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Jesus, Slick. You were already given the Golden Shovel. You can stop now. Do people keep doing good for their home town after they get the key to the city?!?! No.

I can't remember where I heard of SSG. It may have been in a ToyFare from years ago.

mtriv73
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I found it hiding in the pantry when I was looking for the peanut butter.

JEDIpartner
03-01-2007, 03:45 PM
This thread's been going since 2002 and I've never responded??!!! Yeesh! LOL

Well, I think I was looking for sites on Star Wars figures on the 'net and this joint popped up in the search. That's all. :)

LusiferSam
03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I thought I had post to this thread already. But I guess not as a can't find the a post by me in it. I found SSG on a Yahoo search in fall of 1997. The site I had been going to hadn't updated for a long time and I needed to find a new SW figures news site. SSG was fourth or fifth on the list of search results and the first one that had reliable news and good photos. That was back in the days on JediNet and a black and purple themed site.

Rocketboy
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I originally heard about SSG in an early issue of Toyfare (they also mentioned toysrgus.com - I think). It wasn't until a few years later that Cappy said I should join up and he said the people were pretty cool, except for one particular blowhard (whom I won't mention by name, since he/she is still here).

2-1B
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Exactly, I am still here.

Dar' Argol
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
HOLY CRIPS IN A STICK!!! I made this thread back when I was Mod of the "Gen Disc"/Case Assortments. that was almost 5 years ago. dang slick are you THAT bored!?!?!

he he he . . .purple and black site . . . . I remember that!!

sith_killer_99
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
he he he . . .purple and black site . . . . I remember that!!

WOW, yeah, I remember the old site!

Hey, does anyone have any screen caps of the old site?

Kidhuman
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Purple and Black. I do know of a site that was purple, but not SSG. Wonder if Lucas saw that and colored everything purple for Mace as a tribute to it.

LusiferSam
03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey, does anyone have any screen caps of the old site?

Tycho or Thrawn had some they post a couple of years ago. I don't think they were from the JediNet day though. It was black and red or black and rainbow.

El Chuxter
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Change back to the purple and black color scheme, and I may not kill El Chuxter.

You have fifteen hours to get me my army of purple Clonetroopers in purple Starfighters with purple astromech droids.

Dar' Argol
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
If your not careful there Louie I'll Fed-Ex a can of Powdery Mildew spray over to you. See if you like that!

arctangent
03-02-2007, 07:01 AM
did ssg forums disappear for a while? i haven't been able to come here for ages. i clicked on the bookmark in my browser and i kept getting told the site didn't exist any more. i have tried periodically and got the same message, except today i tried... and here i am!

Kidhuman
03-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Around May of last year the site was taken down but about one month later it was up and running again. Since then there were no issues getting here. Welcome back Arctangent.

arctangent
03-02-2007, 08:02 AM
thank you kind sir.

bobafrett
03-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I think I found this place while doing a search for Star Wars toys. I didn't use the forums back then, I just read the news page, and would check it from time to time. Either that, or I was looking for porn sites, and this was just in the mix.

JimJamBonds
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
You can thank and/or blame Caesar for my posting here.

JediTricks
03-03-2007, 02:37 PM
did ssg forums disappear for a while? i haven't been able to come here for ages. i clicked on the bookmark in my browser and i kept getting told the site didn't exist any more. i have tried periodically and got the same message, except today i tried... and here i am!
You're probably bookmarked to the wrong location and it didn't forward here until yesterday for some reason, or perhaps your ISP's connection to the site was funky. The forums have not been offline but for a few minutes here and there due to routine network stuff, even when they were put into sleepy mode last May they were still online in that you could see a site was here with a message about the forums.

Anakin Palpatine
03-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I came to this site because I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed post.

O.K. I was looking for pictures from the 1999 Toy Fair, and this site came up.

Lord Malakite
03-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Change back to the purple and black color scheme, and I may not kill El Chuxter.
Okay, if you say so (http://web.archive.org/web/19981111185010/http://sirstevesguide.com/).

Tycho
03-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm posting before I've re-read this thread and learned if I ever posted in it before.

But when Al Gore first invented the Internet, I used the search engines to find anything Star Wars. See I kind of liked Star Wars.

There were forums at JediNet (.com? I think?) I don't even know if they are still there. But Steve was there I think, and I began talking to him or someone who told me that he'd started the site.

Meanwhile, I was thrilled with the new Star Wars books and comics as Heir to the Empire (Zahn) and Dark Empire (Dark Horse / Cam Kennedy I think) were taking off then ('91 or so, but it took me a while to hear about it) and Hasbro just started to put out the '95s when it really started back then.

On the JediNet boards, I posted my first book reviews and offered my e-mail address as a way to get a newsletter group started (what became Rogues' Gallery and ultimately had nearly 2,500 on my mailing list). The whole newsletter idea was thought of by a guy I met on the JediNet boards to trade with. He was part of an LA Collector Club and I was the first official member of a San Diego Sub-Chapter.

Well, they were involved with YakFace.com and made virtual introductions for me over there, and YakFace wanted to feature monthly (or if possible) weekly SW book reviews from me. (They were long-winded pieces like all my posts usually are, with established categories I thought up - such as EU action figure suggestions, character indexes, and so on, besides plot summaries and overall timeline implications - like New Republic establishment, etc.)

Anyway, SirStevesGuide was building momentum and Steve was better organized and had a nicer layout than YakFace (IMO) and the guys over at YakFace were giving him a hard time - they were really spawning hate. I had established contact with Steve on a friendly basis by this point, and wanted to let him know that I didn't share (mainly HFSolo's) animousity towards him, and I'd send him Rogues' Gallery as well so he could promote more EU awareness for those interested, and help it perpetuate a renaissance with Star Wars. (Like it or hate it, the EU helped the rebirth a lot - the books came before any figures and tested the market).

YakFace was not giving any real support and Steve was taking the time to teach me HTML via e-mail etc., not having ever met him in person (I finally did in 1999 at Celebration 1, after working with him for 3 years by that point).

So YakFace actually had the nerve (not all those guys are bad over there - but a few of the very influential ones at the time were) to tell me I could only be on ONE site: Yak or SSG. The choice was simple for me and since back in 1996, I stayed on SSG and did Rogues' Gallery pretty much through my college years. I love procrastination (from my studies) and Star Wars was perfect for that. (and I was at my computer, my homework in some file or another, but SW was more fun and just a mouse click away!)

But I remember that my first book review that was exclusively for Steve was YJK Return to Ord Mantell which featured Han Solo on the cover with his kids (Jaina and Jacen) and it went perfectly, because Steve had the first pictures of Han Solo Endor Gear (1997) then, up for Thanksgiving (about) in 1996. Han's figure would be released in March of '97 along with ROTJ: SE hitting theaters.

Anyway, I'm not actually sure when I sent off the last issue of Rogues' Gallery, but things got busier around here. Steve made me permanent staff and I was the official comics & books reporter. From those duties, I actually detested 2 things: (1) copying anything from other sites including SW.com - or anywhere besides a "discovery" from Amazon or BarnesandNobel, or one of the publishers' official sites. (They did start to send me press releases, so that was a cool deal). But I was reaching up to 2,500 potential customers for Bantam-Spectra (now Del-Rey holds the license) and Dark Horse and Scholastic, and getting the press releases was a cool perk - lot of free stuff, too). and (2) reporting anything other than the actual releases. I'm still a little bit like "who cares?" what Dark Horse is soliciting for June right now. I want to know what's coming next week and how good was the stuff they put out last week? I've been muling over reporting more for Steve (on C&B stuff) but doing current releases versus up-and-comings. When I see those reports here, or on other sites, I'm still not too inclined to read them.

But as life changed and I finished school and started political consulting work and positioning myself to run for office at a very young age, I didn't have time to keep up with all this stuff. Steve asked me to stay with the site and contribute as the polls editor. It was fun for a while and I was able to do the Cantina Alien poll, the Collector Etiquette Series, The Battle of the Machines (favorite 3 3/4" vehicles pre-ROTS) and that sort of thing - but eventually I was running out of ideas. You can tell by my voting pattern in the "ask Hasbro threads" that there's only so much I care about these days. (I'm not at all leaving the hobby - I want a lot of Padme figures, Evolutions Anakin from AOTC on a single card, Owen, Beru, and Cliegg, and so forth - but I'm not rushing out to buy Darth Vader again - though two of the TAC Vaders might make me reconsider....FU Hasbro! Making me want to buy the same character over and over again!

Anyway, being a polls editor made me a Moderator and put me in the system. Now perhaps we have teen and pre-teen lurkers here. I don't know. They don't post (or post often) and MasterMatt and JabbaJohnL, InsaneJediGirl - they've all grown up and we never exposed them to anything they hadn't already picked up somewhere else. I just did not want to babysit and I can't stand hypocrisy and walking on egg shells to not offend this or that special interest - or being who I am and having worked in the field I did - steering clear of discussing religion and politics. So I was a bad choice to have the label of "moderator," but it was really only so I could stay on the staff as Steve's old pal here (he'd never admit it!) and have access to program the polls.

Well as I said, new ideas for polls were starting to elude me and as certain events in the real world took shape, I grew more and more cynical and didn't want to play all nice and PC, but wanted an outlet. Going to political websites and joining them is moot: everyone will agree with you in your own party and there won't be too much discussion, and you will get banned from the opposing site. Sure, I've infiltrated many of them, but ultimately I have better R&P discussions here where I have trading partners and a common interest (or often many) that bind me to you guys, regardless that we might have differing opinions on what is False, True etc.

But my posts became the bane of the other moderators - especially before we added the Rancor Pit and JT especially has to babysit me, JediMasterGuyute cannot tolerate me, Kidhuman - well? Different days I think he has different feelings about me. I've done nice trades with most of them here and there as well. I have a group here in San Diego that it's my "duty" to deal with first. Over the years, JediTricks and JediMasterSal have gotten the most figures from me I think - as have some regular forum members, too. It's very important for me to have a good rep as an honest trader. So a few other mods are also friends - though that doesn't mean I don't have fun annoying them (and everybody else) :D

But actually, it's that I wanted to discuss things that were taboo or politically or religiously charged, and I wanted to so badly, that made me start to sort of enjoy being a "posting pariah of sorts." I guess I can't really be considered a troll - because when I can, I really contribute around here and I've sort of been a fixture, almost since the site started. But once I started to enjoy the negative attention (thank goodness for Caesar and Slicker!) I went with that and the character of "Tycho" (SSG's Tycho) was fully realized. I guess I'll sign some things as "Josh" (the real me) in the future if I really need people to know I'm sincere - like my well wishes for Sith-Killer in his deployment to Afghanistan.

Well, I'm actually worried a little that JediTricks, Kidhuman, JediMasterGuyute, a few of the mods, might start to ignore me. One thing I would never do is betray Steve and post porn or whatever that could get his site in trouble. I entertain myself by skirting the edges and trying to razz the guys a little (I'm running out of ideas - I am probably going to start a metrosexual discussion thread and the Poop Thread is always an idea for the back burner (ooooh! Unintended pun, but let's just say it was intended, hehe) but if they ignore me, I'll have to make the Vomit Thread, the Diarhea Thread (not sure I spelled that right), and so forth. I love attention! (When you're in poor health and "trolling" is your favorite outlet, you get what you can take. I actually love all those guys, but hopefully this post is so long by now that they've stopped reading this far so they won't see me admit it! Then again, Guyute's radar just went off - "Oh no! He's going to create a Poop Thread?" - actually, probably not. It's a rather lame idea, even by the standards of my particular sense of humor.)

So, in short, I hope I entertain some of you still with my outlandish posts (some of which can actually be serious sometimes) and of course I'd rather be liked than disliked in the end.

When I was in the hospital, the support I got from everyone here was amazing and really warmed my heart and helped strengthen me during my difficult recovery.

I know at some points I've probably offended some people here - I never mean to hurt anyone - but I just won't *****foot around my opinions if they go against conventional political correctness. I have friends who think they are gay, who are of different races, and who believe different things - I'm glad to see BigBarada posting more frequently these days. I may not agree with his religious views, but I like him as a person. JediPartnr is my friend and that doesn't change though we have our obvious disagreement. Several of my best friends are non-white, as has been a very important old girlfriend, and many of you have met them. It doesn't change the fact that some racial stereotypes are established by repetative example. To poke fun at myself, I'm a white guy who sniffs Mouse Droids. It doesn't follow that all white people sniff Mouse Droids because of my example - but I doubt anyone except the newbies haven't heard that joke by now (and that came about because I do like the smell of new things - obviously action figures and while I was writing many a Rogues' Gallery issue for a lot of you SSG veterans here, my college dorms / apartments were thumping with parties arranged by people who's biggest thrill was sitting on a couch smoking from a water pipe, so I paralleled that with "Mouse Droid use," and it got to be a continuous joke as well as what - a 400 post thread?)

So anyway, to wrap this up as I want to warm up the rest of my pizza I brought home last night (Sith-Killer and I discussed Pizza and this is what resulted from it) - I'm sorry if I didn't mention many of you regulars I trade with, talk with (Dr. Evezan, Deoxyribonucleic, JediMasterSal, El Chuxter (Michael Bay Rules!), PlasticFetish, - we have such a great community! Darth Cruel, Dark Artist, BobaFrett, Lusifer Sam...DaddyPants (see Jargo, for once I called you that), JimJamBonds, JON9000, Stillakid (I had to have mentioned you already, didn't I?), TheDarthVader, TheXir (MIA most of the time now :cry: ), Jaff (who's created the longest non-JustFound thread in SSG history I think), CaptainSolo1138, Rogue II, LtBasker, so many more... You know I feel like Robin Williams in that scene in Good Morning Vietnam...who's reading this long of thread anyway, btw?

But this is the greatest bunch of people in a webring any of us could have hoped for! JJReason, Dar'Argol, Lord Malakite.. It just can't stop!

And I welcome the newbies! Join us: these are the people that can (barely) tolerate someone as retarded as I am, and still have a rocking good time!

Anyway, that pizza is calling me....

Bel-Cam Jos
03-04-2007, 09:48 AM
the Diarhea Thread (not sure I spelled that right),Yes, Tycho, you spelled "thread" correctly. :D

I won't go all like nostalgia on y'all or nuthin', but I fondly recall the old black bordered SSG, with icons that you could choose for any post (many of which remain as temporary avatars until you get enough posts to load your own "unique" one), when signing in was a chore due to the ISE messages. When signing in WITH YOUR ACTUAL SCREEN NAME was a chore, thus the multiple user names I had over a year period or so (all a variant on "Bel-Cam Jos," of course). It's been a long, strange trip over the past 8 years or so... wow, I'm getting hey-fever with all the pollen from genus species nostaglist personae floatin' around... :o

Tycho
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Oh Bel-Cam Jos just brought back the greatest memory:

Bel-Cam, El Chuxter, and I created these long story threads on the old purple boards or whatever, paralleling the movie dialogue but twisting the plot to make fun of Hasbro's endless rehashes as the figures started getting repetative and every other month we got some new Luke Tatooine.

We did "The Resculpt Menace" and every time I watch TPM I can almost hear Gunray going:

"You're Highness. I see you have been resculpted again."

QA: "Viceroy: you will not be re-issued when you hear what I have to say. Your re-release of overstocked action figures is at an end.."

2006 could have been so much fun for us to do one of those again, though I must admit, I'm still not sure I have all the dialogue to ROTS memorized as I do the other movies which was instrumental in producing The Resculpt Strikes Back, Return of the Resculpts, A New Resculpt, etc.

In those days it was projects like that which kept me from the competition to be the biggest "blowhard" around here. ;)

2-1B
03-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I remember the old Resculpt threads ! :grin:

Good stuff. :)

LusiferSam
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Tycho I loved your polls. I never knew what you were going to ask next. In fact it was the polls that made me decide to join. I wanted to add my two cent opinion a long with all the "blowhards" as you put it.

Tycho
03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Thank you LusiferSam. That's cool that I made a difference. I'm actually humbled. Wow.

Jargo
03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
OOh reading this thread and finding VT's post while a chopin prelude played on the radio made me go all misty eyed there for a second.

further to my post from way back when I have to say that BCJ, GNT, notafinga, darthmaulgotmauled and the naughty crowd are really responsible for me joining the forums. It was the icon wars that did it. Is BCJ really the only survivor?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
further to my post from way back when I have to say that BCJ, GNT, notafinga, darthmaulgotmauled and the naughty crowd are really responsible for me joining the forums. It was the icon wars that did it. Is BCJ really the only survivor?Well, Chuxter was a warrior in those days, too. I don't know if Rollo has morphed into a new form, and even QLD made an appearance there. I have some of that thread in Word format (only from May of '01, and I don't know when the last posts are dated). Good times...

Tycho
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Did Rollo get banned? What the heck for?

I'm also not sure what happened to GNT, other than I heard or saw him trying other stints at Rebelscum and GalacticHunter.

I missed so much as to what happened with Derek, Dead-Eye, and Emperor Howdy. They contributed around here in their own unique way. And Jedi-CPA is missing in action, it would seem. (I like having more conservatives around to argue with).

Slicker
03-05-2007, 11:45 PM
HA, GNT!!!

Before I got banned at RS he was nearly up to 40,000 posts in only a couple of years. I would assume that he's well above that number by now.

Jargo
03-06-2007, 05:34 PM
GNT is a moderator over there. He now has the power to diminish other peoples post counts while his rises.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm surprised I didn't post here back when this started . . .

Like most others, I found SSG from a search for Star Wars figures or something like that. I don't remember when, but I do remember seeing the unpainted Episode I figures months before they came out and thinking that one of the new figures was called "Darth Maui." :D

I was on the "old forums" a little bit (I thought that avatar of Obi-Wan killing Darth Maul was just the coolest) and then signed up here in November 2001. I didn't post for a long while after that but now I obviously do a lot.

Tycho
03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Darth Maui was Darth Plagueis' Sith Master.

That's how he got his Sith name "Darth Plagueis." You know how the Sith kill each other, right? He used Sith Alchemy to create a plague and gave his master Darth Maui a bad case of Island Fever.

Darth Maui is actually still alive. The insidious plot by Darth Plagueis left his former master wearing Hawaiian-style T-Shirts with flowers on them, incurably addicted to surfing and hoola girls, and with a seriously bad case of the runs from over consumption of Kalua and coconut juice.

Only on Naboo, it's not called Hawaii, but by the Gungan name MeWhyAm.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I can't recall exactly how I first discovered SSG. In my early days of being on the internet in the mid-90's, I didn't really do much exploration of Star Wars sites, and I wasn't collecting then. After TPM was released and I started collecting, I eventually started to find sites like this one, Rebelscum and The Jawa. At first, I was a regular visitor to theforce.net, but I didn't go into any forums there. I think I first came here because of the checklist/database that used to be here. While I had started to keep my own database, it was nice to come here and check off figures and see what I still had to get. Then I started to read the forums from time to time. Apparently I joined in May 2002, either just before or just after AOTC. Gradually, I began to recognize the frequent posters and get a feel for things.

At first I didn't post much, but one of the wave by wave threads got me posting more frequently. Still after four years, I only had about 500 posts. Then when SSG shut down for a while and we began to post at swcollecting.com, I shed the 'posty333' name and became Mad Slanted Powers. Now I've posted 1000 times in less than a year, and reached post #1500 today. So, SSG has become kind of a home away from home, except that I'm still in my home.

lee gray
03-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Seen it on numerous occasions whilst checking for prices on certain items through google but never really checked the forums out till today after checking google for the concept fett and came across the link

Darth Cruel
03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Oh, MAN! Has it been 11 years already? Time does fly doesn't it? I am fairly certain that it was mid '96 to early '97 when I was informed about the 'site. I didn't register in the forums immediately as I was just nervous about the whole idea, but I am sure I was registered by early to mid '97. It is too bad we have had to lose some of that info during the course of some of the changes SSG has had to go through (damned ISE Monster!). I would LOVE to be reminded of when I first registered. And frankly, I do not remember how I found out about SSG. I either did a search and stumbled across the 'site or I was told about it. I believe I stumbled across it doing a search because I remember my curiosity was enhanced by the 'site having my own name on it. I thought "Wow, Sir STEVE'S Guide! Now THAT 'site was made for me!"

Mad Slanted Powers
03-11-2007, 01:44 AM
When I first started coming to this site, I thought Sir Steve was Steve Sansweet, since The Action Figure Archive had been a very helpful book for me in catching up on the POTF2 figures I had missed. It was a long time before I realized otherwise.

Tenric78
03-11-2007, 03:28 AM
I saw it mentioned in a magazine. I think it was ToyFare or Wizard or something. Anyway, I visited off and on. It wasn't until I started writing for my toy blog that I started coming every day, sometimes multiple times to check for more news. It kind of sucks though, that I used to have a forum account but I couldn't remember my password. Oh well, I think I only posted a few times so its not like I was missed.

DarthQuack
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I looked under Slicker's Moms dress.

jedi master sal
05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
I looked under Slicker's Moms dress.

Isn't that where you'd find rebel SCUM??

CaptainSolo1138
05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
No, but her bits are look exactly like Phil Wise.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of my joining of the Sir Steve's community.

I still remember my first post, it was titled "Rite Aid Treasure Chests" and it was on the Micro Machines Forum (which I hardly visit anymore :( ) and I crowed about how I found 2 Tie Defender and 2 Jabba Sail Barges Action Fleet at their stores, even though those pieces were released in 1998 and they are highly collectable.

EDIT: I just read my original post in this thread that was posted some 6 years ago and it stated I joined in June 2000. My impeccable memory apparently has failed me again.

mabudonicus
05-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I think everyone got reset back in August 01 but I ain't too sure, I was only lurkin back then, you very well could have joined earlier LBC
:beard: Iso&Baws
I do believe

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-18-2008, 12:29 PM
True Mabs, everyone who joined the old forums prior to August 15, 2001, had to reregister for the new (and current) SSG. I do know I joined in either May or June of 2000. May 20th, has a significant footnote in my online life, and I thought it was my join date for the old forums, but apparently I am mistaken.

Maybe someone has the link to the old forums.

TeeEye7
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM

I believe the Old Forums are toast, LBC. I seem remember a post by JT saying that SirSteve & Co. tried to resurrect them, but to no avail.

I, too, was a lurker for quite a while. I think my join date was in '98. It would be nice to be able to verify that, though. (I still haven't given up my lurker ways, however! :thumbsup:.....look at my post count after a decade or so here!)

JediTricks
05-18-2008, 10:07 PM
We kept them up for a couple years, but when Action Online moved to a new server, they weren't kept.

Phantom-like Menace
05-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I barely remember finding this site. I lurked for a while before I actually joined (I think to post to a thread complaining about the metal lightsabers from AotC), but I know I did a search for Star Wars information and found either a post or article or something that Thrawn had written, and I kept coming back.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-19-2008, 12:19 AM
True Mabs, everyone who joined the old forums prior to August 15, 2001, had to reregister for the new (and current) SSG. I do know I joined in either May or June of 2000. May 20th, has a significant footnote in my online life, and I thought it was my join date for the old forums, but apparently I am mistaken.

May 20 was the glorious day I joined these forums in 2002.

TeeEye7
05-19-2008, 01:38 AM
We kept them up for a couple years, but when Action Online moved to a new server, they weren't kept.

Aha! Thank you for the clarification, sir! I will endeavor to keep that placed firmly in my gray matter from now on! ;)

Dar' Argol
05-19-2008, 05:52 AM
Man . . who went dredging the depths for this thread :eek:. I think I was still mod here in Gen Disc when I posted that. He he he . . I think I even still have that Toyfare. To think that started my time here. And now 6 years later I'm not much more then a casual poster . . he he he . . .

JediTricks
05-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Aha! Thank you for the clarification, sir! I will endeavor to keep that placed firmly in my gray matter from now on! ;)They were up long enough that archive.org should have their entirety, but for the life of me I can't remember the address to search.

JimJamBonds
05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
You all have Caesar to blame for my being here....... and for 'bringing me back' 3 years ago.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Let's hear it for boredom and insomnia. Found it.

nohagent
01-10-2010, 08:57 AM
hmm, this thread had been dead for two years, I started a new one last week and look, now the old dead one shows up. So much for trying to get a fresh take

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Maybe that was the way someone else found SSG, via a golden shovel-recovered topic, perhaps? We will never know, unless that someone posts here.

I'm a bit curious to see if people's answers remain consistent. :rolleyes:

Tycho
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Q: How did you find SirStevesGuide.com?

A: It got stuck on my shoe. :lipsrsealed:

pbarnard
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Alcohol, wanting Episode I info, and this place showed up on top of the yahoo search!

JimJamBonds
01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
2-1B told me about it.

CaptainSolo1138
01-29-2010, 02:29 AM
blah blah wookiee porn blah blah

bigbarada
01-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Back in 1999, just a few days before Midnight Madness, I did a search for "star wars episode one toy pics" and, as expected, about a million sites popped up. I saw the name "SirSteve" and immediately thought Steve Sansweet so I clicked on the site and was immediately impressed that so many photos existed for all the first waves of Ep1 figures. I printed off about 35 pages of pictures and mailed them all to my brother, I was so excited about them. I became an addict to this site during those early days of Ep1 toys.

While I was in Korea, in 2000, SSG, BriansToys and starwars.com were the only sites I would visit to get info on the movies and upcoming action figures. I would usually check out which figures were coming out on this site, then immediately head on over to BT's to order them.

It wasn't until June or July 2001 that I saw a pic of the TIE Bomber and the rehashed Imperial pilot that I even noticed the forums. I was so angry about Hasbro releasing the exact same pilot figure yet again that once I saw the "Discuss this in our forums" link I clicked on it. Of course, I still had to register and by the time I got done browsing around I totally forgot about the initial topic I wanted to discuss. I've yet to start a thread based on the news that annoyed me enough to start posting here.

Just think, if Hasbro had simply resculpted the TIE Pilot for the Bomber then I never would have found my way to these forums and the world would never known of bigbarada.:rolleyes:

Not much to add here, same old story.