PDA

View Full Version : UCS and other large-size sets - are they dust-magnets?

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 10:44 PM
I've been hesitant to get the UCS sets because I've found that the Lego pieces collect dust like professionals, and I was wondering if this would be especially true of display sets like UCS. If so, how hard are they to clean? (I've found that cleaning LEGO without submerging it in water is next to impossible... but I still love 'em! :))

fourtwo
06-11-2002, 11:38 PM
maybe one of those compressed air cans they use to clean keyboards. i don't have any UCS stuff cause its so expensive but i find my stuff gets dusty easily enough anyways.

ACPin
06-12-2002, 08:29 AM
In due time, they tend to collect dust just like any other ships that I have on display. It doesn't take much to clean them up, though we end up dismantling the piece if the dust gets into the little corners.

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 09:33 AM
I don't really mind a little dust on my stuff, it's just dust. Even Vader didn't dust his helmet that much. ;)

JaZzYjaZZ
06-12-2002, 09:38 PM
The dust will make the display model look old and worn out..

What I do to clean my Lego is that besides submerging it in water (after breaking it into smaller parts), I use a old toothbrush to brush off the dust. It's quite effective :)

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 10:11 PM
For me, when I submerge them into water, I notice that a lot of water gets trapped on the undersides of the pieces, even the ones locked together with others. Over time, that water can erode the piece or just leak out and drip over other stuff, so I rarely do that anymore.

I've never tried compressed air, that's an interesting idea. I've found that dusting doesn't work as well because the round studs collect a lot of dust at their bases and Lego pieces are basically nothing but studs. :D

As for the toothbrush thing, is it a lot of work on sets as large as the Ep 2 Slave I? I think I may definitely have to try that.

And yes, I have a LOT of dust around here, I think it's from living on the side of a grassy park on a hill. It builds up on my Lego sets sometimes in a matter of hours, my transforming jet/robot looks gray now even though it was built with black pieces, and it didn't take but a week to get that way.

JaZzYjaZZ
06-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Hmm..I didn't know the Lego pieces can be eroded away by water. But I usually leave them out to dry first before putting back on display. :)

As for the toothbrushing of big sets, only the outer perimeter pieces get dust on them, so those are the ones which I brush. It's not too bad really. ;)

RedneckJedi
06-13-2002, 01:11 PM
I'd use either the toothbrush or a "modernized" replacement for a feather duster... the kind with long thin bristles, rather than feathers.

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 02:34 AM
The erosion takes a lot of time and it's really unlikely, but on one set of mine, I submerged it and a year later, apparently one of the inside bricks had got water in its underside and wore away the center core. (IIRC, it was a 2x2 brick, black.)

Thanks for the tips gang, any more will be quite appreciated.

humsup
06-17-2002, 01:09 AM
hmm... I dunno about brushing but I reckon that'll leave scratch mark on the bricks.

I used to have cleaned some really old white bricks I have had as a kid. I used a brush to try to brushed off the yellowish stain - a combination of dust and dirty hands handling - and it turns out quite all nice and white. But that glossy surface was gone and turns out rough and coarse.

As for compressed air cleaning, a simple press-pump for keyboards will not be efficient as we all knows, the dust can get tough hanging on to the base of the round studs. Unless its those industrial compress air gun you used - with a high pressure air sprays - the dust will still be very much evident on household air press-pump.

IMO the best way is to keep them out of reach from the dust (yeah, everyone know that LOL!!) or delay the dust attack by placing them into cabinates with doors.

Just my 2 cents.

darthdeogg
06-17-2002, 01:11 AM
All I have to say is two words: static duster. Works like a dream.

-Dan

aceguide
06-26-2002, 02:53 PM
If you take them off the shelf every once in a while and play with them the dust problem solves itself...

JediBoulton
06-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Target has these cheep little "keyboard vacumes" that come with a little brush attachment. It is also recommended to clean lamp shades and stuff like that. I thought about trying this out -- not only for legos -- but for the playsets, ships, and figures. If a part gets sucked up -- it can be easily found within the small bag. he toothbrush idea sounds great too. Have a great day, everyone :)