PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Fires?

Jedi Juice
06-12-2002, 12:29 AM
This concerns anyone living in Colorado:

How are the forrest fires? Are they spreading closer to metropolitan cities, such as Denver? My relatives live in Lakewood right outside of Denver and I was concerned if any form of evacuation was needed. Anyway, I would appreciate it if someone wrote some news. Thanks and keep safe.

r2dee2
06-12-2002, 12:56 AM
The fires are moving towards the southwest of Denver, but I don't believe there currently is any evacuation for the Denver area proper. This evening we have had some minor precip so I'm hoping it will aid in this fight. It IS bad and if there is any more news, I'll try to post here. I'm quite a bit south of Denver, so perhaps there are a few like Vulcantouch, who's in the Denver area, that can shed some light on the problem.

r2dee2
06-12-2002, 01:00 AM
You can also keep tabs on what's going on through the local paper (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0%2C0%2C36~11~%2C00.html?)

JetsAndHeels
06-12-2002, 01:05 AM
Glad to hear you are Ok, r2dee2. Hopefully the fires will be extinguished soon.

r2dee2
06-12-2002, 10:01 AM
JJuice- here is a more direct link to evacuations (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/fire/hayman/index.htm) I hope your family will be OK.

Thanks Jango, hard night as the smell of the fire kept me awake.... tho nothing compared to those in the immediate vicinity:(

Jonna
06-12-2002, 10:05 AM
You can also check CNN.com. It is there top story this morning.

SWAFMAN
06-12-2002, 12:16 PM
no posts from VT since early AM a couple days ago. getting just a little concerned.....

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-12-2002, 11:13 PM
My brother lives in Southwest Denver, near the foothills of the mountains. He just came home Monday night from the area, and says he had to brush some ash off his shirt as he traveled to the airport. He thinks that he is safe although he said they might have to evacuate residents who are only a 10 minute drive away. I sure do hope that everyone finds safety, the fires die out quickly, and all of our CO SirSteve's posters are all right.

vulcantouch
06-13-2002, 12:55 AM
only time enuf rite now 2 say aw, u worry 2 much ;)

r2dee2
06-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Well, the fire is getting too close for my liking..... I took this pic today just down the road from my home in Monument......http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/IMAGES/firehayman2002Aut_5513A_8.jpg Evacuations in the next town (Palmer Lake) are on stand-by...so I am in limbo. VT...you MAY not get the chance to see my collection:( tho I do have the advantage of being on the east of the interstate.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-18-2002, 10:42 PM
It's a shame how one of the major fires started--from a scorned woman. And she was a park ranger, one who's job is to help prevent such things from occuring. Well I guess they passed a new law that will make her accountable for her actions under the law, by paying either a huge fine or serving jail time.

My brother from Denver is still in town and won't be heading back to CO for another week. I hear they have a large percentage of the fire contained, but it is still burning. Hope they quickly put it out before more damage can be done.

vulcantouch
06-19-2002, 12:38 AM
. . .cuz from what i remember my dad sayin, concrete & asphalt's kinda hard to catch on fire (he repaired streets for decades). cuz of the wind shift, today on the patio of The Chili Pepper (mex restaurant overlookin elitch's, i-25 & the downtown skyline), lil ashes were fallin in the drinks once agin :o
lbc: the recent revelation re fire's cause kinda makes the analogy i made last week between wuv & dry forests (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=109373#post109373) seem prescient eh? :eek:
after this last few days all i can say to alla you is, Learn From My Mistake: if you Ever write a letter to your forest-ranger ex-wife, be Real careful what you say in it :sur: ;)
vt

2-1B
06-19-2002, 12:58 AM
I'm disgusted by what's going on, and I wish safety to all CO forumites and their families, and to those working to contain the fires. :cry: