PDA

View Full Version : Is there any rivalry between SSG and other SW collector sites?

SaeseeTiin
06-12-2002, 02:04 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. In my knowladge there are two main SW collector sites, SSG and Rebelscum. I see how sometimes SSG will have an exclusive, like the new Accessory packs that were released recently. And then there are things that Rebelscum post, that usually JarJarBinks posts here and a few days later SirSteve officially posts on the site. It seems like the site that gets the news first can post it first.
So I was wondering that say if SirSteve gets pictures of a new figure before Rebelscum for example is it like a victory over the other Star Wars collecting sites, as it may make the site seem in a stronger position to get exclusives for example.
Just a thought.
Any comments/opinions?
Thanks.

STiin

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 02:11 PM
That's a good question. I prefer SSG's site just because it's organized better. I've also heard that SS waits until he gets confirmation of the truthfulness of a news item instead of posting possible unfounded rumors.

I personally don't care about other similar web sites. They aren't as good as SSG, IMO.

SaeseeTiin
06-12-2002, 02:38 PM
I agree that SSG is by far the best site. I don't visit Rebelscum, while SSG is the site I go on by far the most amount of the time I spend on the internet everyday.

Jonna
06-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Don't know, I haven't been to any others in years. With this site there is just no need to.

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Theres always rivalry between collector sites. Everybody's thinking they're better than another one and they try to "own" them or get a title like "official collecting site" to be above everyone. It's quite pathetic in the long run. Even when 2 sites are working together it usually is on rocky terms cause alot of people are highly sensitive about stuff, like if their "partner" doesn't post a small link in a news article they get all huffy puffy about it.

I've seen this happen between alot of sites, and it's always leads to a downfall because instead of making the site to help collectors, it was just to boost their egos.

I'm not just talking about a specific site either, I've seen this first-hand between bigger sites with bigger sites, smaller sites with bigger sites, or smaller sites with smaller sites.

QLD
06-12-2002, 05:27 PM
I go to Rebel Scum just to look at the Atlana Just Found section. There are tons of Atlanta collectors there. But I don't like the people there as much, so I don't post.

And of course there is a rivalry!

Everyone is getting ready for the big knife fight at the abandoned wherehouse next week!

stormie
06-12-2002, 06:54 PM
Even though they all generally report or carry the same news, I visit a lot of different SW collecting sites each day because there's always some feature, or bit of news that only one may have but the others won't. At first, I thought all the sites got along with each other and shared news, etc., but I've since seen that there is a definite divide of envy, jealousy, and just general mean-spiritedness between some sites. It's a shame really, because this hobby is supposed to be about fun, and I think we'd all benefit by just trying to help eachother and just generally get along. A few sites developed such a mean streak that I just don't bother visiting them anymore. Too bad, but not a big loss, since most of the news they carried was just criticism of other sites.

Eternal Padawan
06-13-2002, 09:16 AM
The only thing that kind of bugs me about Rebelscum is that SOME of their forum users start anonymous usernames here just to criticize SSG. It'll be a guy with exactly one post that says. "I'm from Rebelscum. I just thought all of you should know that SirSteve is a GONK! and a liar." I've only been in RS forums a few times, but I hope no SSGers ever feel the need to do that over there. I wonder if the rest of the RS forum guys realize that these "envoys" are making them collectively look like a bunch of ignorant twits. I realize there are probably some decent guys over there (just like we have a few blowhards) but I don't see the need to bring it into other forums. If you don't like SSG then don't come here. Other than that, anything that's not on the main page is usually linked in the forums, so I don't feel the need to go anywhere else.

Boba Fitt
06-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Well I don't prefer one over another. SS, Rebelscum and thejawa.com. And the people who diss SirSteve may have beefs with him, but I don't care. I'd just like to know how that problem with the Uzay Royal Guard turned out.