PDA

View Full Version : Scalpers Raided Every Store I Go To!!!!

The Darth Vader
06-12-2002, 06:29 PM
Almost everytime I go to a store the new Star Wars Action Figures are all bought by scalpers! One time I actually met a scalper. It was at TRU I think when I went in the store thinking they might already have the bespin wave, when I went in they do have it but all they have left was Mace Mindu, Darth but all of them has bends or messed up corners and not one mint card figure. Then I saw the scalpers! They were both either 27 or 30 one on the cell phone while the other one has a carton almost full of Near Mint/ Mint card Mace, Darth, Luke, Jango (Final Duel). When they went to the register to buy their stuff there was only one line open and it really long, but one of the managers saw them and actually opened one register just for them because when they bought their stuff the register was closed again. I got no choice but bought the damaged card ones thinking I'll open them for display and maybe next time I'll find mint ones to keep on card. My question is: Is there anyway to get to a store before the scalpers do because they always seem to get there before I can!? Also have any of you have this kind of thing happened to you before?

BillyJAck
06-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Just buy your figures from www.yestertoys.com or kebco you never miss out on a figure and they are in great condition and yestertoys has very cheap flat shipping rate. Plus you get them fast. This way you can avoid your reoccuring problems.

billyjack

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-12-2002, 06:36 PM
It seems all the Vaders, Lukes I find are all damaged. I also found a Ploo Koon w/ BG all tattered, and all the Ploos w/o BG are perfect. These guys just don't wanna let have the goods. :mad:

The Darth Vader
06-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Not to sound dumb or something but does BG stands for background cards or no thanks.

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 07:19 PM
It stands for BackGrounds.

I would've complained to the manager and showed him the damaged figures compared to the other figures the scalpers had. They were all right there, most likely if he had the common sense to open up a 2nd register when so many wouldn't have the common sense then you could talk him into making the scalpers give you some of the figures from the fine art of complaining. ;)

Hellboy
06-12-2002, 07:39 PM
I would either order your figures online like BillyJAck suggested or talk to the toy manager and find out when they get their trucks in and be at the store when it opens. If the scalpers are there with you just beat them to the Star Wars section and you're in buisness.

Cubehead
06-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Sounds like the manager in question may have a back door deal with these 2 scalpers. Here's what to do...

Find out when your store recieves it's products and show up either that night or the morning after. You must be there when the doors open.

Secondly, about the manager, you have to call TRU's corporate relations number. So many of the managers in my area are getting paid off by local scalpers. All you need to do is call this number and complain, 1-800-869-7787. There's no reason anyone should stand for a corrupt manager who loots his/her own store on the behalf of 'anti-child' low-life scum.

Take back your store! I have done this at a few store and it DOES work. A hand written, polite letter doesn't hurt either.
Emails are ofter deleted without ever being read. A friend of mine wrote a letter and not only was his problem handled but he also recieved a $10 gift certificate!

Scalpers are like cochroaches, turn on the lights and they scatter.

Cubehead
06-12-2002, 08:17 PM
P.S., about the cardbending. I have seen a rash of this type of vadalism in my area over the past couple of weeks. I actually saw one scalper get pinched for bending cards in the store!!!
LOL! It seems that this is the latest scalper tactic to increase their pathetically small profit margins and to reduce the amount of available products...

Nothing says "failure" more than dealing toys bought from a retail store:)

Count Dooku
06-12-2002, 08:21 PM
I cannot believe what you guys have to go through to get an action figure. I live in Niagara Falls Canada and this problem doesn't seem to exist. The figures are still really popular, but I really haven't seen any scalpers. I check the stores every other day only because I want something new (we don't even have Taa wave yet), and I haven't seen any scalping at all. Is it like this everywhere down there???

The Darth Vader
06-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Basically yep it a scalpers' world down here. Damn you son of a mother scalpers!!!!!!!!

DarthMushy
06-12-2002, 09:55 PM
I mentioned this in another thread the other day, but when my Wal-Mart got in the Han/Chewie wave, a scalper was there waiting. He bought them all and then apparently sold them in the parking lot. Not sure why Wal-Mart didn't do anything about it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-12-2002, 10:48 PM
eh, speaking from the Wal-Mart corp point of view (i work at Sams) i think as long as they get their $$, they don't give a hoot. I've dealt with WM for years and while Sams is awesome, wal-mart can tend to be a bunch of schmucks. Amazing how 2 stores owned by the same corporation can differ so greatly. I just ordered my stuff from Kebco to leave the hassle of driving around behind. Sure, i found some of the figures and i haven't bought them, but i'll get them all in mint condition without the hassle of driving and dealing with scalper scum.

"you scalper scum!"- that hella sweet Officer from ROTJ

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 11:22 PM
You have to have a license and/or Wal-Mart's permission to do that on Wal-Mart grounds which I doubt they would agree to because it could deter other customers from buying their product and giving them profits while some shmuck in the parking lot is getting a profit off inflated prices and nothing's going to Wal-Mart.

Darth Cynical
06-12-2002, 11:23 PM
What what what?!?
Scalpers?
Another spotting?

They're like animals, they need to be slaughtered!!! Where's that young Jedi Padawan with the darkness in him, perhaps we can get him to take care of this situation...

QLD
06-12-2002, 11:58 PM
I think we should round up all scaplers, keep them in camps, tattoo marks on them so that they may be identified, and then execute them by beating them with petrified carrots.

Or, I can just not sweat it like I do now. Yeah, I think I'll go with that.

Darth Detori
06-13-2002, 10:46 AM
I saw one today, he fit the usual description. There he was, carrying away all the deluxes! I talked to some people there and they said there's nothing they can do.
Well.
I rushed out of the store just to see him pulling out of his parking space. With super-human speed I hopped in my car and got up to him right as he was about to get off to the highway. I got his license number, car description, etc. I don't know how I can use this, but we'll see

Forhekset
06-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Darth Detori
I saw one today, he fit the usual description. There he was, carrying away all the deluxes! I talked to some people there and they said there's nothing they can do.
Well.
I rushed out of the store just to see him pulling out of his parking space. With super-human speed I hopped in my car and got up to him right as he was about to get off to the highway. I got his license number, car description, etc. I don't know how I can use this, but we'll see

Hrm....maybe you can report his car as stolen to the police.... ;)

billfremore
06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Wow, this scalper thing must be just an american thing, I've never seen one of these people ever in our stores.

This is probably because there's NOTHING on our shelves to scalp!

(sorry, I'm just one bitter Canadian) :)

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Do you ever wonder if there are scalpes raiding the stores all the time in your area or just that certain waves never make it to where you live. I've been wondering about that for a while now. I can never find the Bespin wave, but that crappy Qui-Gon resculpt is always popping up. Who knows with this wonderful Hasbro/retailer distribution relationship?