PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Vehicle Restoration Question

bigbarada
09-24-2001, 11:06 PM
I have a vintage A-Wing that has some corrosion of one of the battery contacts. Fortunately, it hasn't damaged any of the plastic and it doesn't interfere with the electronics; but I was just wondering how to remove it. If anybody has found a way to solve this problem I'd really appreciate hearing from you.:cool:

GNT
09-25-2001, 03:27 AM
You could always buy a new "vintage A-Wing" from Ebay, it would be more simple :)

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 09:45 AM
Alright, let me rephrase this: If you have any idea what you are talking about then I would appreciate hearing from you.;)

Helloooo, somebody? (crickets chirping) C'mon....anybody? I'm strugglin' here. (see photo)

bibfortuna
09-25-2001, 01:53 PM
Hmmm, well, you could try CAREFULLY using some extra-fine (300-600 grit) sandpaper. I believe a little Baking Soda with Water will neutralize the acid, and prevent further deterioration.

It might be easier to open up the vehicle and try to remove the battery contacts than to cram fingers into battery compartments.

You could also find someone who specializes in the repair of vintage SW toys (see my sig ;) ) who could take care of these things for you.

Rob

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I pretty much figured I'd have to open it up, since the battery cover doesn't come off or open up all the way. I hadn't thought about baking soda to neutralize the acid, plus I hadn't thought about the corrosion spreading on it's own. Just a second.........

Good, it's still just on the contact so it should be simple once I get it taken apart.

(Man, opening the battery compartment on this toy is a little harrowing, since you have to pry it open with a screwdriver against the red painted surface. :eek: )

Anyway, thanks a bundle bibfortuna!:cool: :D If I run into any furthur problems I'll post 'em here.

GNT
09-26-2001, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Helloooo, somebody? (crickets chirping) C'mon....anybody? I'm strugglin' here. (see photo)

I guess you are struggling for help but you wont make it ;)

I'll ask a few people I know and see if they could help

bigbarada
09-26-2001, 02:25 PM
I actually have another question. Do flourescent lights really have a serious affect on vintage toys? I've heard many conflicting stories on this. Some say that they only affect the bubbles on SWAF cards, others say they make clear plastic yellow and dicolor regular plastic.

The only reason I'm asking is the fact that my room in the barracks has nothing but flourescent lights in it, so should I be concerned about storing the toys in my room?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2001, 06:48 PM
The only reason I'm asking is the fact that my room in the barracks has nothing but flourescent lights in it, so should I be concerned about storing the toys in my room?

Something about this quote just seems odd to me. :) I don't take any chances; none of my toys are (unfortunately) displayed in the open, but in cardboard boxes. No natural lighting for me!

bigbarada
09-26-2001, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Something about this quote just seems odd to me. :) I don't take any chances; none of my toys are (unfortunately) displayed in the open, but in cardboard boxes. No natural lighting for me!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Something about this quote seems odd to me.:D

If you're not going to answer the question then just move along, and don't waste our valuable time.;) :p :D :cool: :D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2001, 06:03 PM
Okay, fine then! here's your answer: maybe. So there! ;) My source? Jim Bob's SW Guide to Questions You Wanted to Ask But Online Forums Members Wouldn't Let You, or At Least Just Wasted Your Time Waiting For Some Other Forums Member to Answer Them, 2nd edition. :p

bigbarada
09-27-2001, 06:41 PM
Do you know where I can buy a copy of that book?:D

bibfortuna
09-28-2001, 09:30 AM
Amazon.com

It's currenlty the 3,485,897th most popular title.

:D

bibfortuna
09-28-2001, 09:37 AM
But, to answer your question, ANY type of light can deteriorate the toys (over time). Direct sunlight is worst, and I believe Flourescent lights aren't very good.

Some places get UV blocking plastic tubes that go over the flourescent tubes to cut down on the UV, but you being in a barracks sounds like that wouldn't work out for you.

The optimum would, of course, be a windowless room. The lights could be kept off, until you wanted to go in and drool, then shut off afterward (don't slip on the puddle of drool on the way out).

Right now I have a room that most of my stuff is stored in. I have the blinds closed, and a dark sheet nailed around the windowsill to keep light out from around the edges of the blinds, but the room is so crowded, I can hardly get in there to look at the toys! And I realize that very few people have the capacity in their house/apartment/whatever to have a private room just for the toys.

I was trying to decide between small flourescent fixtures or incandescent (sp?) bulbs in display cases that I wanted to build. One one hand, the flourescent has more UV (I believe) but the incandescent generates heat, which is also not good.

Rob

Eternal Padawan
09-28-2001, 11:26 AM
I have a room in my apartment to display my Star Wars stuff. It's called a family room...and a bedroom...and the kitchen...and the dining cove...and my daughter's bedroom...and my computer desk...and.....

(nothing goes in the bathroom however, because I panic about water and steam damage from when I'm showering...)

bigbarada
09-28-2001, 11:22 PM
So you're saying keeping my collection of Star Wars comics unbagged, behind the toilet and right next to the shower is a bad idea?:eek:

GNT
09-29-2001, 01:51 AM
So you're saying keeping my collection of Star Wars comics unbagged, behind the toilet and right next to the shower is a bad idea?:eek:

Yes that would be a bad idea :)

Eternal Padawan
09-29-2001, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't say that about the MARVEL issues....:p :rolleyes: