PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't George Lucas fix this in ROTJ?!?!?



Mace Windex
06-12-2002, 11:58 PM
Have any of you ever wondered about the ending to Jedi? Vader tells Luke to tell his sister that he was right about him (that there was good in him) but when Luke heads back to the Ewok village he never says a word. I had hoped that this would have been corrected in the special edition film but of course, it was not. Why did Lucas leave this part out? It is such an important part of the film. I definately think there should have been some sort of a wrap up. Anyone else agree? What would have even been better was to throw in some sort of mojo with Yoda telling Luke that Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force but instead he destroyed it. Luke could go on about feeling the good, etc. I love the films dearly but think Jedi was wrapped up very poorly.

scruffziller
06-13-2002, 01:09 AM
No actually it would have slowed it down and would have been redundant, when Leia saw the ghost of her father standing with Obi and Yoda, she knew, like Luke did. You see the happiness on their faces. The "balance of the force" that was referred to is actually that of Vader exterminating the Jedi, The balance is actually making an even stride between dark and light and during TPM there is WAY too much light thus Vader is the chosen one.

Mace Windex
06-13-2002, 10:00 AM
But did she really see the ghosts? And if she did, it would have been her first time so wouldn't she have been shocked? Plus, she wouldn't know who the ghosts were except for Obi-wan.
I still think having Luke tell Leia... "It's over, Darth Vader and the Emporer are dead.
Leia: What happened?
Luke: Our father destroyed the emporer. He wanted me to tell you that I was right, There was good in him (vader).
They Hug.
Then they both turn around to see the ghosts forming. Leia is shocked to see her father for the first time. She reaches out to him with tears in her eyes and Anakin smiles back.
Looks like it's time for a remake!!

icatch9
06-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Weather or not Leia saw the spirits is irrelavent. She wouldn't of been shocked becasue she was at peace. She would have known that these were safe and peacful beings. It's a force thing, you know.

Vader telling Luke to tell his sister is a powerful scene. There is no need for Luke to tell Leia on screen. This is implied that he will do this eventually. This was never part of the story and never written. So, it would never have been added to the SE. He didn't do re-shoots with the actors. He just added a couple of sceens that were cut and did special effects. Haveing a 40 somthing Mark Hammel and Carrie Fisher do this new sceen would have been silly.

El_Pasty_Muchacho
06-13-2002, 10:57 AM
What ever man... Doesn't matter if she was at peace... if you saw a trio of shimmering blue guys, one of which you know for a fact is dead... I don't care HOW at peace you are, you're gonna be freaked out. Leia didn't see the ghosts, you can almost see it on her face, she starts out looking in the direction luke is facing, but then (I assume when she realizes there's nothing out there) turns to face Luke and bring him back to the party.

Darkross
06-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by El_Pasty_Muchacho
What ever man... Doesn't matter if she was at peace... if you saw a trio of shimmering blue guys, one of which you know for a fact is dead... I don't care HOW at peace you are, you're gonna be freaked out. Leia didn't see the ghosts, you can almost see it on her face, she starts out looking in the direction luke is facing, but then (I assume when she realizes there's nothing out there) turns to face Luke and bring him back to the party.

I don't think that Leia saw the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda or Anakin, since I believe that only Jedi can see them. You don't see Han Solo talking to Luke about seeing Obi-Wan on Hoth now do you? Leia was looking in the direction where Luke was, but she couldn't see anything and thus thought that maybe Luke was daydreaming or reflecting on the events that had transpired???

icatch9
06-13-2002, 11:44 AM
El_Pasty_Muchacho, I didn't say that she did or she didn't see the 3 spirits. I think she did not. Luke wasn't so "freaked" out when he first saw Ben as a Spirit. He was surprised to see him, but it's not like he was running away and calling for Peter Venkmen & Egone.

My point was if she did see them, she would have scenced thier peacfulness and would have known not to be afraid.

Still, I do not think she saw them.

Mace Windex
06-13-2002, 11:49 AM
I never said Lucas should have reshot the scene with aged actors. I was hoping that the scene was originally shot and could have been restored. If not, I would like to re-make the films and add some details! YEAH!
It just left me with an empty feeling that we never get to see or hear Luke tell Leia that Vader was indeed good. For all she knows Luke killed Vader and the Emporer and escaped. Leia deserved to know her father was the one who brought balance.

stillakid
06-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
No actually it would have slowed it down and would have been redundant, when Leia saw the ghost of her father standing with Obi and Yoda, she knew, like Luke did. You see the happiness on their faces. The "balance of the force" that was referred to is actually that of Vader exterminating the Jedi, The balance is actually making an even stride between dark and light and during TPM there is WAY too much light thus Vader is the chosen one.

Uh, she DIDN'T see the ghosts. She doesn't even really look in that direction for long. In fact, Luke is the only one whose "look" lingers over there. I would highly suspect that if Leia saw three ghosts standing off in the corner, especially ghosts of 3 people that she's never ever seen before much less the ghost concept in the first place, that she would have been a bit more surprised. There is no way in heck that it can be interpreted that she saw the ghosts standing there.

Why not? Good question and open to speculation as we don't really know the nature of the disappearing/reappearing act anyway. My guess is that someone needs a moderate amount of training with the Force in order to "feel" an entity that has kinda joined with that mystical energy field. Since Leia is apparently choke full o' Midichlorians and she clearly doesn't see the ghosts, Force training seems to be the only avenue to witnessing such a phenomenon.

bigbarada
06-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Well, if GL never filmed a scene where Luke tells Leia what went on then it would be kind of hard to put it back in. I guess it was supposed to be implied that Luke would tell her during a quiet moment when all the celebrating had died down.

Not the best way to end things, I agree; but there's little that can be done about it now.

stillakid
06-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Besides, the story of Anakin's redemption really belongs to Luke. It's his "victory." Even though Leia is in the family, sharing that triumph onscreen would dilute Luke's accomplishment. Her involvement as a family member only served the purpose of giving Luke a motivation to attack Vader and make an honest attempt to defeat him. Nothing more than that really. So her involvement in that storyline is neglible to begin with.

MikeAndTheBots
06-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Mace Windex
What would have even been better was to throw in some sort of mojo with Yoda telling Luke that Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force but instead he destroyed it.
But Anakin did bring balance to the force, from a certain point of view. The Sith are pretty much controlling the galaxy by ep2, both major party leaders are sith. Then by ANH its all Sith Vader and Palpy own the galaxy. Luke and Leia are born from Anakin and Padme and Luke brings balance back to the force so in a way, Anakin does balance the force.

Jonna
06-13-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Mace Windex
What would have even been better was to throw in some sort of mojo with Yoda telling Luke that Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force but instead he destroyed it.

You see Anakin was the only one who could bring balance to the force by taking the Emperor down because the Emperor never saw it coming. Vader was the only one who the Emperor never though would turn against him. Luke said it, "You're over confidence is your weakness" and it was. ;)

It is like how if you hold a firecracker in your open palm and light it, it will only burn your skin, but if you were to close your hand around it in a fist and light it, it will explode your hand.

I think there is some old Buddist saying that it is easier to bring down the kingdom from inside the castle walls than by throwing spears from the outside. Or something like that....

scruffziller
06-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by stillakid


Uh, she DIDN'T see the ghosts. She doesn't even really look in that direction for long. In fact, Luke is the only one whose "look" lingers over there. I would highly suspect that if Leia saw three ghosts standing off in the corner, especially ghosts of 3 people that she's never ever seen before much less the ghost concept in the first place, that she would have been a bit more surprised. There is no way in heck that it can be interpreted that she saw the ghosts standing there.

Why not? Good question and open to speculation as we don't really know the nature of the disappearing/reappearing act anyway. My guess is that someone needs a moderate amount of training with the Force in order to "feel" an entity that has kinda joined with that mystical energy field. Since Leia is apparently choke full o' Midichlorians and she clearly doesn't see the ghosts, Force training seems to be the only avenue to witnessing such a phenomenon.
Yea I think you are right and I even wondered that before I posted that, but at any rate what was going on at the end of the movie would not have been the right time for Luke to say anything. Another time would have been more appropriate.

scruffziller
06-13-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Mace Windex
But did she really see the ghosts? And if she did, it would have been her first time so wouldn't she have been shocked? Plus, she wouldn't know who the ghosts were except for Obi-wan.
I still think having Luke tell Leia... "It's over, Darth Vader and the Emporer are dead.
Leia: What happened?
Luke: Our father destroyed the emporer. He wanted me to tell you that I was right, There was good in him (vader).
They Hug.
Then they both turn around to see the ghosts forming. Leia is shocked to see her father for the first time. She reaches out to him with tears in her eyes and Anakin smiles back.
Looks like it's time for a remake!!
Lucas would do that in the 3rd trilogy.

jjreason
06-15-2002, 03:14 AM
Having to watch Luke get into semantics with Leia over who their dad was, how he died, what it accomplished and why that makes him a good person would have felt like 6 hours on it's own. Thank goodness they let us imagine this conversation taking place.
Luke should have saved himself a little time: "Here Leia, I need to explain something to you that might take awhile. First, I think you should watch this." (breaks out DVD collection of episodes 1, 2 and 3).