PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go to get a figure?

jdmarlow
06-13-2002, 12:15 AM
I am posing this question purely to see what the opinion of the great forum users here at sirstevesguide.com think. I value the opinions of all of you and am curious to see....how far would you go to get a figure?

Do you settle for paying higher prices to get a figure you want? Will you not stop until you find a figure at a reasonable price? Do you love the thrill of the hunt so much that you will visit more than 10 stores in a radius of 30 miles to find something? How intense is your persuit of Star Wars Toys?

-JD

JetsAndHeels
06-13-2002, 12:21 AM
When I make my rounds, I hit all the local spots (Wal Mart, TRU, Target, K Mart, KB, etc). When I am looking for a particular figure or vehicle, I enjoy the hunt for only a few rounds, then if I havent found it yet I then start to get frustrated. However I am usually patient, and it pays off. If push comes to shove, I consult a couple of my friends on here. If that doesnt work, I will resort to ebay, but I will not pay outrageous prices. It all depends on what it is and how bad I want it.
I was lucky to get my 12 inch Jango with ease, but if I had been unable to find it by now, I probably would have looked on ebay.

LTBasker
06-13-2002, 12:27 AM
The farthest I go is 17 miles exactly from where I live because that's the nearest Toys-R-Us, KB and TARGET. (They're literally across the street from each other)

I only resort to the net when I have to and/or can find a good price on something.

Technically the furthest I've ever gone to get something is Georgia - My Mom went on a trip there and found me the Rebel Pilots cinema scene when they were clearanced at KB. :cool:

QLD
06-13-2002, 12:57 AM
I won't go very far. Every now and then I get a wild hair and go to 10 different Wal-Marts in the middle of the night or something. But, usually, I just go to the same few stores. I have had success in getting everything I want that way. SO why mess with success.

Everything except Zuckuss. I will get you Zuckuss! If it's the last thing I do!

Fulit
06-13-2002, 01:15 AM
Don't make me whip out my "I once drove to Memphis for a Y-Wing" story! 150+ miles, both ways.

Les S
06-13-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by jdmarlow
I am posing this question purely to see what the opinion of the great forum users here at sirstevesguide.com think. I value the opinions of all of you and am curious to see....how far would you go to get a figure?
-JD

Lets see, Sunday I drove 83 miles... one way. <g> Every 2 weeks my freinds and I go on a small road trip and try to complete our collections. We don't usually go that far but we had a great time and did find a few of the figures we were after. Is it worth it? IMHO, yes. We enjoy the 'adventure' and have some good laughs and talk to allot of fellow fans.
It all comes down to how you see it, is it a waste of time or is it fun. When it stops being fun it is time to hang up you fanboy hat. <g> (IMHO) I stopped collecting in betwen Episode I and the launch of PoTJ line and then I could not find hardly any PoTJ line around because all the stores around me completely got rid of any sign of Star Wars figures. (not even a space)
But with the SAGA line I am having fun again, have all the ones I want except for Chewie and hopefully will find that this weekend when I visit a friend in NYC.
Les S.

figrin bran
06-13-2002, 02:28 AM
i usually hit only the local stores and will try to pay only reasonable prices. and if that doesn't work, i'll look into the online stores but never ebay which would explain all the holes in my collection...tc14, r2 w holo leia :(

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Ill go whereever the subway takes me.

Darth Detori
06-13-2002, 11:50 AM
don't ask........ it's sick.
I've given up looking for Chewie and Obi. I've just had it. I'm ordering online

Jonna
06-13-2002, 11:57 AM
I drive to alot of different areas, regardless of SW searching, so I just check stores that I pass on the way.

Mike_Windu
06-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Well, I'll do about anything to get the newer figures faster...this Obi wave is really frustrating me and my friend right now, we've gone everywhere trying to find them, so i'd say that the thrill of the hunt is there and sometimes gets frustrating, but most of all, it ends up being a fun drive around town if nothing else.

billfremore
06-13-2002, 12:19 PM
I'm always looking no matter where I am.

Although I once rode a bike 2 hours both ways, 4 hours in total, to go looking for stuff.

Thank god I'm not obsessed :rolleyes:

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 12:57 PM
I've bought stuff on ebay several times, but only after the figures had been out for a few years and were no longer available. I haven't resorted to it in quite a while since I've found all the ones up to the Bespin (from POTF, EP1, and POTJ). I have paid $15 for a couple like the R2/holo Leia and FF TIE Pilot, but that's about my max.

Jedi Juice
06-13-2002, 02:54 PM
My grandmother likes to go hunting for star wars figures, so she takes me all OVER the place. We went on a three hour drive once and didn't find anything. She's a cool grandmother though.

DARTH DUBIOUS
06-13-2002, 03:03 PM
I'd go as far as it takes to get something I set my heart on. Probably a long way, further than most. Sometimes one has to dip ones toes into the murky depths of the gutter to get the gold that one desires, sometimes that means doing favours that one wouldn't neccesarily want to be reminded of in order to get ones hands on the goodies. Deep dark secrets abound in my collecting history. It's a dirty habit that's hard to break is star wars collecting. Sometimes that habit needs spanking good and hard! It won't deliver the hot stuff otherwise. ;)

Jaina Solo
06-13-2002, 04:23 PM
I went to every Target in town one weekend looking for Dooku. Didn't find him- damned Sith- but I had a heck of a lot of fun looking, and met lots of crazy people doing the same thing. 'Course, now I'm thoroughly sick of Target, but I still need stuff there now and then, so I look when I'm there.

I get frustrated sometimes, but really I like the hunt. I liked walking into Wal-Mart the other day and feeling that little rush of happiness when I found the Bespin wave- a rush I wouldn't have gotten if I'd taken what seems to me to be the lazy way out and just bought them online.

I've bought stuff on eBay before- mostly older POTF2 figures you can't find much of anywhere anymore. I think the most I paid for one of those was $8 or $9, and that's with shipping. Not too bad, I don't think. But usually on the recent stuff, I know I'll find it eventually, so I leave the eBay stuff for the people who can't wait. (And who are crazy enough to pay $30 for a basic Dooku figure.)

I will sometimes pay the ripoff prices KB usually charges if I happen to find something I've been looking for there- but it depends how rude the store employees are to me and how ticked I am at them. If they've been following me around for half an hour waiting for me to steal something, they probably aren't getting my money unless they've got Jorg Sacul on the pegs. :)

I really like bouncing from place to place looking for stuff, though. You meet lots of interesting people- and some jerks, but I tend to ignore the jerks. I've also run into a lot of kids looking through the pegs. I love the kids. And lately, I've somehow managed to have run across the one figure they were looking for- the Anakin or the Jango or whatever. The looks on those kids' faces when I go grab the figure and ask if this is what they're looking for... Besides, it's nice to be taller than somebody! ;)

Jonna
06-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
I get frustrated sometimes, but really I like the hunt. I liked walking into Wal-Mart the other day and feeling that little rush of happiness when I found the Bespin wave

I completely agree. It is almost like a game.:D

Onlyafleshwound
06-13-2002, 04:59 PM
I have just about everything but, Palpatine & Djas Puhr. Does anybody know when this wave came out in NY???

I've been to tru and kb, even some kohl's have them, but I haven't seen these two.

I'm just about to go to my local KB and search thier stockroom b/c all the kit fisto's and sbd's are hogging up all the pegs.

Also, does anybody know were I can get these online without having to buy a case or four other figures that I have loads of?????

They are not toys...they are tools to educate and to expand the imagination of countless youths of america...

DarthBrandon
06-13-2002, 05:20 PM
I search all the stores in my province and sometimes Maine too. If I can't find it there I usually wait a bit and if I can't after waiting a while I buy it online or through a trade. It's all a matter of being patient.

DarthMaulSithLord
06-13-2002, 06:11 PM
I set a maximum amount that i'd pay for each item and i stick to it. For figs, my maximum is $10, but i'd rather pay $7-8, since 10 is currently way too much for most of the current Saga figs. Some are worth it (Jango Fett Kamino Escape, R2-D2, Yoda), but others (read: most of them) are not (Anakin Peasant, Shaak Ti, Luminara).

:)

jdmarlow
06-14-2002, 03:55 PM
I have just about everything but, Palpatine & Djas Puhr. Does anybody know when this wave came out in NY???

How often do you go out? The best I've found in the city right now is Luke Bespin and Darth Vader along with Jango Final Battle. I still need qui-gon, endor rebel solider, and the rest. Where in New York are you located, Onlyafleshwound?

In response to my earlier question that started this thread....I don't usually go very far for figures. Usually because of lack of time...but that is on a regular basis. There have been ridiculous instances that have taken me to the moon and back. Those are the memories I cherish...

-JD

jrviking07
06-14-2002, 04:58 PM
I don't go very far and sometimes if I am looking for a particular thing I just call the store ahead and ask if they at least have the shipment of the figures

Jargo
06-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Depends how much i want something. Normally I only shop local or at the most shop as far afield as London. I always try to get the best price on something or as cheaply as possible, but in the case of something I desperately want I'll buy from the states and pay whatever the price is. Usually this is the case for older items from the POTF2 line. I got two tie fighters from Collectors gallery because there were none that I could find in the UK. I didn't even look to see how much they were really because I just wanted two tie fighters. I'll probably be the same about Leia in Boushh disguise because she's the only non deliberate hole in my collection right now. Won't care what the price or how I get her but get her I will. If it means going without other things like food or new clothes for a month then so be it. There'll always be someone to feed me and the clothes stores are always going to be there but there's only a finite number of Leia in Boushh disguise figures still floating around. :)

aharry
06-15-2002, 03:56 AM
The Wal-Marts around here set up in some haphazard circle around the city. I start at the closest one and do the complete circle or until I find what I need to fulfill my particular collection. This circle is probably 20 to 30 miles round-trip. Whenever I'm in another part of the state, I cruise the stores there, but since I'm there doing something else, like visiting relatives, I don't know if that qualifies as driving far for the sake of buying figures.

ishi tib
06-16-2002, 07:13 PM
It usually depends on how much time I have. If it's been awhile & I have $ and time, i'll visit all three TRUs, Targets, & Kaybee's in the area. If not, i'll usually just hit up the TRU & Kmart that are right next to each other. The farthest I've ever paid for figures was paying $45 at a flea market for Muftak & Kabe (no credit card=no online ordering), and the farthest I've ever gone was 2 1/2 hours north of me to get the Ep 2 sneak previews (this of course before I realized that they would be EVERYWHERE around here like a month later, ha-ha)

maul4ever
06-17-2002, 12:09 AM
i put 900 miles on my car this weekend and found everything i wanted and then some. i only didnt finf the obi/chewie/han wave yet. no stores seem to be getting it. found about 20 stores with the new deluxe figs. also found 100 hotwheels i didnt have.

thespar
07-02-2002, 05:58 PM
i take a hunting about once month usally the Saturday after the first full week in the month. I go out to 20 miles but that is because the town i live in is so small you bleak your eyes and miss. So they do not reilly have anyone that will the SW toys.

Turbowars
07-02-2002, 10:52 PM
I will search until I'm bleeding from my eyes and ears and drive 100 miles one way to get a figure! LOL, No but really I have drove 60 miles to a Walmart to find NOTHING, but I have found great things at that same store, so I would do it again an again as long as I have the $$$

land speeder
07-02-2002, 11:34 PM
I will go to all the local stores a few times a week. I can usually find then after they have been released awhile I will buy off ebay but would prefer other sources like here. I did buy a sacul for a ridiculous price on ebay but no way in heck will I buy a toy fair vader for the prices they are asking. Even though I WANT one REALLY REALLY BAD.

Turbowars
07-02-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by land speeder
I did buy a sacul for a ridiculous price on ebay but no way in heck will I buy a toy fair vader for the prices they are asking. Even though I WANT one REALLY REALLY BAD. [/B]If not for Money, what would you do for TF Vader? Just kidding! I was able to score one for 14.99 online from the Fan Club. sorry dude. I did pay $400 for a FF US Weequay. So I am a little crazy.

land speeder
07-03-2002, 12:07 AM
No way could I spend $400 on a figure. That is alot of Jeep parts.

Big Chewie
07-03-2002, 03:09 AM
I just relocated from Texas To Maryland so I drive all over to see whats around and check out the stores. Not just figure hunting. Have been to southern Pennsylvania, almost all of Virginia, northern West Virginia, and most of North Carolina so far and always check a couple of stores wherever I go.But of course I always end up finding them right by my house.

Jedi Juice
07-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I haven't had any luck finding any figures around my house. I've been ordering them online through Amazon or KB Toys lately.

Obi-Don
07-03-2002, 10:30 PM
I have gone 50 + miles before but mostly just around the area here. I have gotten some on line but rarely.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-05-2002, 12:17 AM
I usually go to my local Wal-Mart which is less than a 5 minute drive from my house. The Ames, almost across the street from Wal-Mart is a last resort for me. If I don't find anything at Wally-Mart I'll go there, but I rarely find anything and the $6.99 price per figure, ain't exactly the best.

It gets bored going to the same store every couple of days or so, so I'll drive 15-20 miles to the south to an area with a mall (featuring a KB) and several retail stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Media Play, and TRU). I'll make that trip as gasoline and money dictates it.

Exhaust Port
07-05-2002, 03:45 PM
The exclusives like the 12" clonetroopers at KB, I order online since I've had such poor luck finding exclusives in the past. Everything else I just do the drive/hunt method which is still pretty successful. The 12" line for me is the only one that I'm more complusive about. If I can't find them then I just order them online if I find a good deal or sometimes even resort to eBay when I get desperate. I haven't gotten that bad for a while.

As for driving distances, most of mine is <5 miles or 15 minutes driving time. If I'm feeling really motivated and the traffic is light I'll go to the next mall area which is about 15 miles or 25 minutes driving time. I don't do that very often. Most times if my local stores are picked over so are theirs.

Darth Nitwit
07-11-2002, 10:17 PM
It sounds lame, but I can only go as far as my mom will take me on the weekend.

jdmarlow
07-11-2002, 11:17 PM
lol Darth Nitwit....I hear ya....

Jango Mango
07-11-2002, 11:39 PM
100 miles one way and 100 miles back :Pirate:

Jonna
07-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Jango Mango
100 miles one way and 100 miles back :Pirate:

What if you get lost on the way there?

Jango Mango
07-12-2002, 01:41 AM
100 miles is just a walk in the park, when I really want a figure, I
will go "BEYOND THE OUTER RIM" about 12 nexus beyond our
galaxy!

:Pirate:

Jedi_Rainman
07-12-2002, 02:32 AM
I am willing to drive an hours distance from where I am. If its some exclusive that I can't find, I turn to eBay (Home Of The Plastic Scalpers) I know its a bad place to go, but sometimes you run out of luck!:zzz:

jdmarlow
07-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Jango Mango
100 miles is just a walk in the park, when I really want a figure, I
will go "BEYOND THE OUTER RIM" about 12 nexus beyond our
galaxy!

:Pirate:

I like the idea of using the Star Wars Galaxy as a parable for your hunting route. lol!

hango fett
07-15-2002, 02:39 PM
we would pay up to 30-40 for a figure. that is about as far as we go.