PDA

View Full Version : Is AOTC still playing in your theater?

bigbarada
06-13-2002, 09:45 AM
I went to my local theater yesterday and noticed a startling announcement. Today (13 June) is AOTC's last day playing in Alamogordo, NM!:cry: This means that it played over here for a grand total of 27 days. Of course this beats TPM's record over here, which only played for 18 days. So I guess, GL's longetivity campaign really paid off.:rolleyes:

Just wondering if AOTC has been pulled from any other theaters already. Or are we just special?:frus:

lunchymeatball
06-13-2002, 09:51 AM
I watched an advert over here in england only last night on tv, inviting me to go and see aotc AGAIN.
I noticed this seems to be a new trend, lotr released bus stop posters during the school holidays here inviting the kids to return to middle earth again this holiday.
maybe seeing a film twice at the cinema is the norm now.
AOTC is the only film i've seen twice at the cinema not counting the originals against the se.

187-Maul
06-13-2002, 09:56 AM
well it's still roling here in france and even in original language (english)
usually the movies here role one week in a big cinema and then a few weeks in a smaller one right next door but it's still in the big one and still in the biggest room
wow, maybe I'm gonna see it a third time after all this week

oh and BTW Blade 2 will finally start here next week
no big news for you americans but great news for me:D

Jonna
06-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Still going strong in New Jersey!

Darth Shifty
06-13-2002, 11:13 AM
No sign of stopping here in Colorado, especially at the Denver theater - it still sells out. (It's the only digital theater in CO)

Darth Nihilus
06-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Still going here in Darwin, Australia. And I still need to see it at least three more times.

billfremore
06-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Still going strong here in the great white north.

Playing on at least 2 screens in every theatre.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 12:38 PM
One of the theaters took it off one screen (it's still on two), but I don't blame them. The grosses of all the movies have been stinky for the last two weeks so they're getting ready for Scooby Doo, Bourne Identity, and Minority Report to help boost up the revenue.

I'll probably see it once more (I've seen it twice) before it's tossed out with the black jujyfruits.

2-1B
06-13-2002, 01:53 PM
My favorite theater dropped it from 4 screens down to 3. Fine with me, I still want to see it 7 more times so it will take a good month for me to achieve that.

And then there's always the budget run, so even when it's gone it'll be right back! :happy:

LTBasker
06-13-2002, 02:06 PM
Still playing here I think. Although I haven't been to the movies in a little.

MikeAndTheBots
06-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
Still going strong in New Jersey!
Thank god.

Jedi Juice
06-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Well, over here in New Orleans we have "The Palace AMC Theatres" monopoly and AOTC is still playing on 2-3 screens in each theatre. Looks like it will play through June and through July (hopefully). I'm going to see it for the 5th time this Saturday, so I know it's still playing.

hango fett
06-13-2002, 09:33 PM
it's still on here in piqua oh. i'm going to see it AGAIN tomorow. this will be the 5th time! oy! i only saw EI 2 times in thearters! heck, i saw jurrassic park 3 3times in thearters!....

DarthBrandon
06-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Still going strong where I'm from.

Darth Sinister
06-13-2002, 11:38 PM
I think all theaters that got it had to show it at least 4 weeks. I like it's run here is done because it gets 4 showings a day and this isn't a very large town. Still, I have been very impressed with the attendance all four weeks. I think it will probably play at the Drive-In though so it will still be around.

earl
06-14-2002, 12:31 AM
still playing here in the Philippines. unlike spiderman which only lasted for 3 weeks. starwars is having a massive repeated viewing for almost a month now.

scruffziller
06-14-2002, 12:55 AM
My local thetre stopped today 6/13 but Des Moines is still goig strong, they got the good theatres.

sideswipe1984
06-14-2002, 11:50 AM
All the major theaters are still screening it in my neck of the woods.

figrin bran
06-14-2002, 10:43 PM
it's been pulled from the Grauman's Chinese so i was fortunate to see it in digital. otherwise it's still playing pretty much everywhere in the greater los angeles area. even my local independent theater.

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 05:23 AM
I was so bummed that the Chinese once again had a shorter run with a SW prequel than other theaters in the area - I wanted to take my pop to see it there for Father's day since he hasn't seen it at I saw it there on opening day.

However, it's still playing at the Vista here in the Hollywood area (but it's bombing bad during the day, again, just like Ep 1).

bigbarada
06-15-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
However, it's still playing at the Vista here in the Hollywood area (but it's bombing bad during the day, again, just like Ep 1).

It's was bombing pretty bad over here too after a couple of weeks. When I saw it last Thursday at 11:00 AM there were a grand total of 8 people in the theater. If it had been doing that kind of business regularly then I can see why the theater manager would pull it.

BTW, Spider-Man was pulled the same day as AOTC, I guess since this theater only has five screens then they need to rotate them out regularly to stay in business. If not for the contract from Lucasfilm I'm pretty sure AOTC would have been dumped a week earlier.

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 08:32 PM
I kinda wish these expectations of having the DVD the same year as the theatrical release were squashed, it'd make more people eager to repeatedly enjoy the film the way the director intended - in theaters - rather than waiting for the home market.

hango fett
06-18-2002, 07:26 PM
it's leaving my local thearter friday....saw it one last time today before the agonizing wait till october 21st!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-18-2002, 10:52 PM
It is still going strong on 2 screens at the local Regal Cinema. That's down from a high of 4 (I think) they had the opening week. Had a showing of the picture every 15 minutes in the beginning. Of course when you have 16 screens you have to show the AOTC on at least a couple. Now it was down to a showing every hour. Went and saw it again at 2:00 pm last Thursday. There were only 8 other people in the theatre besides me.

TeeEye7
06-19-2002, 08:29 AM
BigB:

Still here in my little town. The audience has dimininshed, which is an advantage for multiple viewings. No crowds to fight and lots of seats from which to choose now!

jedibear
07-01-2002, 12:40 AM
Just saw it again this afternoon....it's in the smallest house in the 14 screen Roxy in Santa Rosa. It was PACKED! I asked one of the girls that works there if it was like that all weekend...she said that matinees were packed and the evening shows were a little less than half-full.

I'm expecting it to be leaving most of our area theatres after the next couple of weeks with the wave of movies that are due (MIB2, AP3, K19, etc).
I'm hoping it is still in digital projection at the Metreon in SF for a little longer...I'd like to see it one more time that way (it really IS amazing!)

That interesting thing about today's viewing for me was that it was obviously a "regular" movie-going crowd...not just a bunch AOTC-a-holics (like myself :)). Lots of seniors and families...a couple of old ladies in front of me LOVED the cg characters like Dex, Watto, Poggle & yes, epecially Jar Jar....one even commented after the movie she wished Jar Jar was in it more "like the last one"...I thought that was pretty cool.
It was also nice that there was no laughter during the quiet scenes between Padme & Anakin (you all can laugh at me, but some of those scenes are my favorites in the film).
On the whole, the vibe from the crowd as they left was pretty good....some parents said "the first ones (meaning the classics) were better, but more than once another would say something complaimentary about Ewan, Sam or Natalie.

I'm anxious like most of us to be able to add this to the home collection, but I still want to spend the summer enjoying it in the theatres too....

DeadEye
07-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Still playing here in crappy Kansas.

hango fett
07-01-2002, 09:27 AM
it just left last weekend! the source who told us LAST friday was wrong. NOW i have an agonizing wait till october 21st.
hango

Lobito
07-02-2002, 04:41 PM
As you guys probably know by now, EP II has finally arrived to Mex. It started this past sunday (although i saw it yesterday). I'm not sure how long its going to last here, but i can say that there werent as many ppl as EP I. As watto said...not by a long shot. This really surprised me, cuzz Mex has a large amount of SW fans.:eek:

187-Maul
07-02-2002, 05:05 PM
wait, E2 is going to be released on october 21st !?!
now THAT's a birthday present:D :D :D

well just for the record, it's still screening in my local cinema

Wolfwood319
07-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Well, at the 'ole "Pickwick," AOTC hasn't played in weeks. One of their main screens is still showing Spidey, while the other has Minority Report.

As for the google-plex's around me; they're all still showing AOTC on one screen, but the I hear that they hardly every have more than 10 people in there per showing. I give it 2 more weeks and it'll be gone.

Obi-Don
07-04-2002, 03:46 PM
They pulled here a few weeks ago. I wanted to go see it again. I have only seen it 3 times and wanted more.

scruffziller
08-03-2002, 01:12 PM
In DEs Moines at the Merle Hay Mall Theatre it is just now ending there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2002, 01:31 PM
It's just barely hanging onto the AMC 24 here!

Pendo
08-03-2002, 02:03 PM
My local Showcase Cinema just took it off on Friday to fit in MIB2. :mad: I'd rather see AOTC that MIIB anyday!!!

PENDO!

Darth Marra 54
08-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Not any more!

billfremore
08-07-2002, 11:49 AM
I went and saw it Monday at the AMC 24, the only place left in my town that's still showing it.

Wahhhhhhh, not fair. :cry:
This movie should be in the theaters until the DVD comes out.

So there! Hmph! :frus:

2-1B
08-07-2002, 01:57 PM
I saw it last weekend, and it was the last time at my local joint - I just checked their website and it's gone after tomorrow.

Exhaust Port
08-07-2002, 02:29 PM
I was planning on seeing Digitally one last time this weekend. The last week when I checked it was still playing there. Today I checked the new week/weekend show times and it's no longer playing in the digial theater only in a smaller "normal" one. Darn it. As far as I can tell that is the only showing anywhere around here. This weekend will be my last hurrah for AOTC.

Tycho
08-08-2002, 08:13 PM
It is still playing in 4 theaters in San Diego:

AMC Mission Valley
AMC Fashion Valley
Pacific's Downtown Cineplex
Edward's MiraMesa Boulevard

This is as of Thursday, August 8th, 2002.

I am going to see it tonight (and every Thursday thereafter) until they pull it.

Most new movies come out on Fridays, so AOTC could be replaced after the last show on any Thursday night.

It's a little inconvenient as I have work to do, and I've kind of got a bug up my astromech to see the Classic Trilogy on video again - right now, too.

Attack of the Clones is (was) my favorite Star Wars movie, but right now I want to watch:

Luke at the homestead and lightsaber training with the blast shield.

Han running through the Death Star.

Leia and Lando blasting their way out of Cloud City.

Chewie tossing stormtroopers in the Cloud City freezing room.

Luke and Vader's final lightsaber duel up to the moment Luke slices his father's hand off.

The Emperor shooting Dark Side Lightning and saying "Now Young Skywalker... you WILL die!"

Even Chewie's tarzan yell as he attacks the scout walker has some appeal, as does all of Endor.

I can't stand to watch The Phantom Menace, though I often quite like the movie. Just not tonight. I'm in a Classic Trilogy mood.

Trouble is - Clones will be leaving theaters, and I've never not enjoyed seeing this movie on the big screen, so I better get there to see it tonight!

Tycho
08-09-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
It is still playing in 4 theaters in San Diego:

AMC Mission Valley
AMC Fashion Valley
Pacific's Downtown Cineplex
Edward's MiraMesa Boulevard

This is as of Thursday, August 8th, 2002.

I am going to see it tonight (and every Thursday thereafter) until they pull it.

Well, that doesn't look like a big commitment. I just got home from seeing Attack of the Clones for my 8th? or 9th? time and it will not be playing at 3 of the 4 theaters listed above.

For San Diegans, the last theater in town to feature AOTC will be the Pacific Theaters downtown (and not the ones in Horton Plaza, but across the street from it - sort of, down on 6th).

So I guess I can see the show one more time next week at this location, then I bet they pull it, too. Since May 16 that will make it 3 months running and 2 months to wait for the DVD (isn't it due in October?) My do we have short attention spans these days, don't we?

A New Hope ran for almost May 25 until December I think, then it was brought back into the theaters in 1979 prior to the release of Empire Strikes back. But there had never been anything like it, so...

But I'm satisfied with how Clones is playing. To be honest, I ached for the movie's last 30 minutes tonight, as the arena showdown and the big finale battle was all I was interested in. Yoda kicks butt like usual. But I'm sleepy and I had enough.

Darth Shifty
08-09-2002, 11:58 AM
As of 8/9, AOTC is still playing in 4 theaters in the Denver Metro area.

bigbarada
08-10-2002, 01:39 AM
You know, I was just thinking that if I had not known that AOTC would be on DVD by Christmas I would have made it a point to see it several more times in the theater. I watched TPM 11 times, because who knew how long it would take to hit DVD? Knowing that we would have the Ep2 DVD within a few months prior to May 16th kind of killed my need to see it more than 3 times on the big screen.

I think AOTC will still be playing somewhere in the US when Nov 12th rolls around. Heck LOTR is still playing domestically and the DVD was released this week!

Exhaust Port
08-12-2002, 11:37 AM
I went to see AOTC one last time yesterday. It seems within the last few weeks that the number of theaters carrying this movie have dropped significantly. All the large theaters about 2 weeks ago were still dedicating one screen to AOTC but now I could find only one theater within 30+ miles with the movie. It was a nice run while it lasted.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
It's stopped playing where I'm from. Does anybody know how much it's made worldwide to date?

TylerD
08-14-2002, 04:49 AM
It has been gone from my local big time theatre for awhile now. I saw that the dollar movie thatre was playing it last week...which means it is now gone since they only run shows for one week (unless they make a special rule for Episode II). I hope it goes to my local drive in theatre, which usually gets the movies after the dollar theatre. I just love the whole "drive in movie" experience.

Jedi Clint
08-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by brandon
It's stopped playing where I'm from. Does anybody know how much it's made worldwide to date?

According to this site it has made just shy of 600 million world wide. (http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/)

Tycho
08-14-2002, 01:02 PM
The Star Wars movies that fans love the most, seem to do the worst:

Empire Strikes Back is dead last in terms of money for a Star Wars movie, yet it is the fans' favorite on every site poll done.

AOTC is the 2nd favorite thereafter, and it is topped by ANH (understandably) and TPM.

TPM is the least liked of all the SW films and it grossed more than the cumulative amounts of ANH???

What gives?

I guess the expectations for the first Star Wars prequel were way too high! (though I like this movie a lot, mind you - I just always expected more from Episode 2, and especially the upcoming Episode 3!)

JEDIpartner
08-14-2002, 01:46 PM
It's still playing in a couple large theatres here in Cleveland. I was at a screening over the weekend! :D

TylerD
08-15-2002, 01:02 AM
You are right about expectations Tycho. Everyone and their mother went to see "the new Star Wars movie."

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
The Star Wars movies that fans love the most, seem to do the worst:

Empire Strikes Back is dead last in terms of money for a Star Wars movie, yet it is the fans' favorite on every site poll done.

AOTC is the 2nd favorite thereafter, and it is topped by ANH (understandably) and TPM.

TPM is the least liked of all the SW films and it grossed more than the cumulative amounts of ANH???

What gives?

I guess the expectations for the first Star Wars prequel were way too high! (though I like this movie a lot, mind you - I just always expected more from Episode 2, and especially the upcoming Episode 3!)
High on the crack again Tycho? ;) Adjusted take, both classic trilogy sequels' numbers would destroy TPM's take and AOTC's paltry receipts.

Adjusted take:
SW - $1,017,062,887
ESB - $560,180,312
ROTJ - $537,079,233
TPM - $484,550,035
AOTC - $298,843,836 (no adjustment obviously)

This is based on tickets sold applied to current average ticket prices. It clearly shows a clear decline in tickets sold from sequel to sequel in order. I think it's interesting that ESB had the highest carry-over to its sequel - it got the most people to go to the next film, to say "I have to see more of that" unlike the contrast from TPM to AOTC with nearly 200 million less butts in seats returning to the saga.

Darth Marra 54
08-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Ah they are making less and less money so that means that Episode 3 will do the worst of all the Episodes even tough it will make millions of dollars pretty cool
I thought that the last Star Wars movie would just blow every thing out of the water but if this trend continues I gusee not

Tycho
08-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Don't smoke crack. Sniff Mouse Droids.

Anyway, I think the video market may have some thing to do with this too.

ANH didn't have to contend with it as much as movies, and blockbusters have influence on the market today.

JediTricks
08-16-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Darth Marra 54
Ah they are making less and less money so that means that Episode 3 will do the worst of all the Episodes even tough it will make millions of dollars pretty cool
I thought that the last Star Wars movie would just blow every thing out of the water but if this trend continues I gusee not Yeah, even if it makes half of what Ep 2 made, it'll still make over $150 mil which is better than most "successful" films.

Tycho, ANH reinvented the cinema in many ways, especially the concept of the blockbuster (and I don't mean that video chain). While it IS likely that the video market has been taking its toll, that doesn't change the dwindling returns situation - people aren't going to the Star Wars films as much as they used to or LESS people are going at all.

Tycho
08-16-2002, 12:17 PM
That sucks.

It's nice to think that something you like is in good taste.

jedibear
08-16-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, getting back to the topic at hand here....

AOTC left the Northbay (CA) today....now if I want to see it again I'll have to voyage to the city (SF) or to the eastbay (Union City)...

JediTricks
08-17-2002, 02:34 AM
Tycho, the quality of something is not necessarily dependent on the audience it draws. If others think ANH sucks, that doesn't mean it does, that only means they are wrong. ;)

Exhaust Port
08-17-2002, 02:57 AM
ANH as well as the other 2 OT films had very successful re-releases with "new footage" baiting movie goers to return to see it again. I think that those re-releases as well as 25 years of after market distributing via VHS is why those movies are significantly ahead of TPM and AOTC. I'm sure over the next few decades that the gaps between each of the movies will decrease.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Again, getting back on topic, it's not here anymore! :cry:

Tycho
08-18-2002, 10:16 AM
It's still in one final theater in San Diego (downtown, Pacific Theaters - Gaslamp 15)