PDA

View Full Version : And the Lakers take the trey...

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Since no one's done it yet, I guess I'll put up the obligatory championship thread for the Lakes.

What a great last game! You can see how the Nets picked up their game as the series went along and got much better (except for Keith Van Horn). I don't think this one was as good as last year's just because Shaq was too dominant.

I was sort of disappointed that the celebration was so muted, but then I guess it was a foregone conclusion that they would take it all. Even Costas and Marv Albert were pretty much conceeding that this would probably be the last game of the series.

What I really liked seeing was Shaq and the closeness he has with his family. He pulled his dad and grandpa from the stands and they were all buddy-buddy together. I don't know what kind of person Shaq really is, but I think it's obvious he loves and takes care of his family. So I give him a big thumbs up for that kind of image.

I know there's a lot of you who can't stand the Lakers and/or Shaq, so I'll tread lightly. They've proved they know how to win, and they did it fairly with good sportsmanship. Yes Shaq is very dominant, but he's just a big guy who really can't be stopped. You may hate him, but you can't deny that he's a great player and was the very key for the Lakers to secure three straight rings.

GO LAKERS! :D

Darth Shifty
06-13-2002, 11:00 AM
Boooo Lakers!

It's not Shaq I hate, it's that cocky fool Kobe. The Kings'll get em next year!

QLD
06-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Bulls.....Lakers.....it doesn't matter. I am/was so sick of them both, it's hard to watch.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Bulls.....Lakers.....it doesn't matter. I am/was so sick of them both, it's hard to watch.

Is it that you hate a champion or that they are/were so good that watching them constantly win is boring?

I'll say one thing, that Kings-Lakers series was the best I've ever seen. While the Kings were outstanding, the Lakers showed they can't/won't be put down.

figrin bran
06-13-2002, 12:02 PM
the door's closed, the lights are out and the jello is jigglin'!!!

bulls and lakers hard to watch? i find the triangle offense that both teams employ(ed) to be a thing of beauty, what with its ball movement, finding the open man on the weak side for outside jumpers. decidedly better than the random chaotic offenses some teams have.

okay time to tread lightly, following in mandalorian candidate's lead :)

billfremore
06-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Lakers win.

Yay.

:zzz:

Wake me when somebody else wins.

SirSteve
06-13-2002, 12:39 PM
I don't like the Lakers either... especially Shaq (paid millions for being born big because all he can do is dunk) and the cocky Kobe Michael Jordan-move stealing-wanna be like Mike.

Just my opinion...

Forhekset
06-13-2002, 01:35 PM
I frigging HATE the Lakers. I also can't stand Phil Jackson. But, they're a championship caliber team and the Nets obviously are not. The Lakers have guys who can make clutch shots, two future hall-of-famers, and they can always kick it up a notch right when it counts. So, as much as I dislike them, they're the best team out there right now, and they deserved to win, for sure.

2-1B
06-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Meh

At least Celtics would have made it interesting.

Jedi Juice
06-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, personally I like Shaq--- I think he is a good guy and I respect what he does. I do see everyone's point of having someone else win the chanpionship, but hey, that's how the cookie crumbles.

QLD
06-13-2002, 04:01 PM
I have always disliked the Lakers. There are many more teams that I dislike, more than I like. I disliked the Bulls before Michael jordan went there. ANd since I also dislike UNC, it gave me more reason to dislike them. Add to that, that the Bulls always seemed to be the team denying Charles Barkley a championship. I never liked those teams, I never will. It's hard to watch teams you dislike do well. I never dislike a team because they are champions. I also have a hard time watching the Yankees because I do not like them either. Never have, never will.

To clear matters up, I will list teams that off of the top of my head I dislike, followed by a list of teams I do like.

NBA

Dislike - Bulls, Lakers, Knicks, Pistons, Blazers, Sonics, Sixers
Like - Hawks, Pacers, Mavs, Cavs, Jazz, Suns

NFL

Dislike - Saints, 49ers, Rams, Bucs, Cowboys, Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Jets
Like - Falcons, Steelers, Titans, Colts, Chiefs, Bills, Packers

MLB
Dislike - Yankees, Mets, Astros, Reds, Indians, Marlins, Orioles, Cubs, Dodgers
Like - Braves, A's, Expos, Rangers, Mariners

Those have all been consistent since my childhood :)

JetsAndHeels
06-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Ouch QLD!! You are really hitting me hard here!!
You dislike UNC?? You must be a Georgia Tech fan.
But you cannot deny that the greatest basketball player ever (MJ) was a UNC product, and that speaks volumes of us.
And you dislike the Mets, I already knew. But still it hurts.....
And I must give props to the Lakers for their championship. You cant stop Kobe and Shaq, as we have seen. Personally though, I think Tony Kornheiser said it best on PTI when he said that the NBA Finals this year was the Sacramento/LA series. It was a good one.
And as far as the Hornets go, I am not shedding any tears. The guy who owns them is a real jerk who turned down Michael Jordan for a position here. Who in basketball could turn down Jordan? Come on!!
Hope Louisiana doesnt get too tired of em....

figrin bran
06-13-2002, 10:44 PM
the Shaquille O'Neal that i see out on the court does more than dunk. he has truly added much to his offensive repetoire since 95 when he and the Magic got swept by the Houston Rockets. equally capable of setting up on the left or right side of the block, he has developed a nice jump hook move and a nice bank shot move to counter that if the jump hook is taken away. also, he is rather adept at passing out of double teams to open shooters. that might sound like a very basic skill but when you figure in that the passes had better be on target and delivered quickly or else the defenders have adequate time to close in on the shooters. at least among low post players, the only peers that Shaq has in this department are Duncan and Divac.

as for stealing Jordan moves, come on! just about everyone playing in the league right now grew up idolizing him. it only figures that one would learn from arguably the greatest player to hit the hardwood.

btw, no Raiders on your NFL lists, QLD?

QLD
06-13-2002, 11:21 PM
No, I have actually always sort of liked the Raiders. They are a "tweener" team for me. It just depends on the circumstances. But I do think Al Davis is a moron.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by figrin bran
the Shaquille O'Neal that i see out on the court does more than dunk. he has truly added much to his offensive repetoire since 95 when he and the Magic got swept by the Houston Rockets. equally capable of setting up on the left or right side of the block, he has developed a nice jump hook move and a nice bank shot move to counter that if the jump hook is taken away. also, he is rather adept at passing out of double teams to open shooters. that might sound like a very basic skill but when you figure in that the passes had better be on target and delivered quickly or else the defenders have adequate time to close in on the shooters. at least among low post players, the only peers that Shaq has in this department are Duncan and Divac.

as for stealing Jordan moves, come on! just about everyone playing in the league right now grew up idolizing him. it only figures that one would learn from arguably the greatest player to hit the hardwood.

Ahh, well put FB. Shaq is truly a great player. If all he did was shove people around he'd get called all the time. He's just a big dominating guy who is a big challenge for other players. The reason why so many teams haven't done well is that once they tie him up with two or three guys, the other players step up and start scoring like crazy.

Anyways, it's all water under the bridge now.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
It just depends on the circumstances. But I do think Al Davis is a moron.

Here, here! Something we can all agree on!

Maybe we can have world peace if the peoples of the world can come together and agree on this. ;)

figrin bran
06-14-2002, 02:12 AM
I agree, Al Davis is a moron of an owner and a coach. we all know that he is the actual one calling all the shots. ;)

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 02:24 AM
I didn't follow this season or the finals, so it's weird to learn about it at random and even weirder to not see a HUGE explosion of people celebrating. A few folks were out today in support, but basically it was business as usual. Is LA getting used to the big status, or is Downtown gonna get ripped to shreds soon? ;)

JetsAndHeels
06-14-2002, 02:47 AM
I think the people over there are beginning to get used to the Lakers' success. Looks like a dynasty is being built over there.

figrin bran
06-14-2002, 02:51 AM
hee hee, i'm actually debating about whether or not to go to the parade tommorrow.

i think we, meaning the city of l.a., already not known as the most rabid sports fans in the US, have gotten a bit spoiled and so you see less and less laker car flags on the road and maybe the peripheral fans aren't as into it. in a way not unlike how ATOC seems to have died down among the more peripheral SW fans while people like many of us continue to go watch it :)