PDA

View Full Version : The stupid things that we do when we are not paying attention! (MERGED)

Jonna
06-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Please tell me, I'm not the only one!

I know that I am ratting myself out, but this is just to funny. So I get up this morning, after a long night of playing video games, and get ready to go to work. I work for a major pharmaceutical company so it is like a suit/shirt and tie enviornment. Go though my morning rituals: shower, shave, teeth, hair, iron clothing, etc.

Well, nearly two hours later I am at work and look down at my shoes and realize that something is amiss. I am wearing two different shoes. Both are black, but one is dull and round at the tip and the other is shiny and square at the tip. :eek: Needless to say, I am going to be laughing at myself all day long.

My mother beats my carelessness though. A few weeks ago, she could not understand why, over a three day period, her outdoor plants were dieing. She had been spraying them with harmless repelent to stop the deer from eating them. Well as it turns out, she had mistaken the plant killer for the deer repelent!:p

Please tell me we're not the only ones!

stillakid
06-13-2002, 11:45 AM
pharmaceutical company...two different shoes.

Quick, everybody go check their medicine cabinets right now. ;)

lunchymeatball
06-13-2002, 11:47 AM
:D :D :D
you are not the only one I can assure you.
A couple of years back I was at a party and took my jumper off as it was hot, the jumper was an unassuming cream v neck.
I put it back on to prowl in the garden area and noticed about three hours later that I had put it on back to front with the v at the back
Now not one of my friends told me:cry:

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 12:02 PM
All the time in Jr. high I used to accidentally put my shirts on inside-out after PE. I was always getting ragged on in 4th period English. You'd think after one time... :rolleyes:

billfremore
06-13-2002, 12:30 PM
I just checked my medicine cabinet and found a black shoe!

SWAFMAN
06-13-2002, 12:40 PM
once, on a date, I said to this girl, "this pistachio ice cream is good. I wonder what kind of nuts these are in it?"

[hitting self on head - "stupid, stupid, stupid!"]

I worked for a long time in a factory that makes glass products, and sometimes at night I'd dream I had forgotten to wear shoes & socks to work and was walking around the plant barefoot. Not only would that have been stupid to really do, but was grounds for immediate termination for safety violation. The fear of being fired was amazingly real, even though it was a dream.

Jonna
06-13-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I just checked my medicine cabinet and found a black shoe!

Hey, can you mail that to me?:p

billfremore
06-13-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jonna

Hey, can you mail that to me?:p

Sure if you mail me the other one :P

SaeseeTiin
06-13-2002, 01:31 PM
I did something very stupid the other day. I went into town with two aims, to go to a bank to send a cheque to the USA, and then to go to a pet shop to buy a couple more fish. Anyway, some time later, driving home and almost there I suddenly realised, I hadn't been to the petshop! I had completely forgotten!
I walked into a lamppost almost two years ago, although I'm not going to go into that.
One other thing I did was once at college a friend of mine dropped a pen under the desk I was sitting on. So I curled forward to see if I could reach it and hit my head off the desk in front of mine. It didn't hurt, but it provided a lot of amusement for my friends. So I can be very stupid at times!

STiin

Jonna
06-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SaeseeTiin
I did something very stupid the other day. I went into town with two aims, to go to a bank to send a cheque to the USA, and then to go to a pet shop to buy a couple more fish. Anyway, some time later, driving home and almost there I suddenly realised, I hadn't been to the petshop! I had completely forgotten!

Well, atleast you didn't mail the fish and put your cheque in a t(b)ank of water.

Yes, I know the tank/bank bit was poor, but.........ah, forget it. I got nothin!:crazed:

SaeseeTiin
06-13-2002, 01:50 PM
:D
Thanks for the comments Jonna, although I still feel as stupid!:rolleyes:

STiin

billfremore
06-13-2002, 01:58 PM
Hey I found another black shoe in my fishtank...

ahh, I got nothing either :crazed:

LTBasker
06-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Talking to someone while walking to another room and end up walking into the side of the door frame...

Jonna
06-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Ya, I've done that too. Unfortunatley, it was the first time I met my friend's boyfriend. Talk about a bad first impression.

It is just that my mind is always on so many different things, that I don't really pay attention to my physical self.

Excusses, excusses, excusses.....

DARTH DUBIOUS
06-13-2002, 03:33 PM
I'm always doing stuff like making drinks in the kitchen and putting milk instead of water in the kettle or putting the teabags in the 'fridge or the milk in the cupboard where the teabags go. Buttoning shirts up wrong or forgetting to button up the fly on my pants and going out to town. Then i wonder why people are staring at me like I'm a leper or something.

I'm really stoopid about tact as well. I usually end up making a stoopid joke about people dying in horrible accidents when there's someone in the room who just lost a relative that way or something.

I'm really good at locking myself out of the house as well. It'a habit to shut the door so the animals don't get out and whoops! I'm out in the cold and rain and there's no-one back for hours to let me in again. Also very good at locking the car keys inside the car too. Usually in the trunk. What a dope! :crazed:

RooJay
06-13-2002, 07:38 PM
I once had to go pick up my girlfriend (my ex now, and boy was that ever a bad relationship!) at the airport. I ended up getting there five minutes late, but because most of her friends were flakes and would promise to pick her and then not show, she assumed I had done the same (you can begin to see how screwed up that relationship was!) so she had taken an $80 cab ride home! After waiting for her for several minutes I had assumed I had the wrong gate so I went to check at another. Naturally she wasn't there. I waited around for about a half an hour more; maybe she'd gotten on another flight and hadn't been able to call and tell me.:rolleyes: I decided to try calling her house to see if maybe I had missed her and she'd gotten home some other way, so I went out to my car to get my cell phone. Called her house, but no answer. I decided to go take another look at the terminal, and I managed to walk halfway across the parking lot when I realized I had LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR!!! I went to go ask airport security if they could help me and was shocked to discover that they have a policy against that sort of thing! Bear in mind that my entire family including my mother, who at that time had the ONLY spare key to my car, was on a camping trip a FEW HOURS AWAY from the airport in an area not known for good cell phone reception! Even after I had expressed the desperation of my plight, and had assured them that I could name and describe the entire contents of my trunk (which housed several unique items I should add), airport security still refused to help me. They recommended AAA. My credit cards were maxed out at the time, I had almost no money in my bank account, and my insurance coverage was with another carrier that didn't offer that kind of service. Then they recommended that I ask one of the rental car agencies. None of them had any means of unlocking my car door. I tried calling my girlfriend's house again. No answer. I decided to try calling my mom. No answer. I waited some more. Made a few more calls. No answers. My cell phone goes dead. I use what little cash I'd had to try a few more calls using the payphone. After several tries, and after spending most of my cash I finally get ahold of my mother. I explain to her what happened. She wasn't terribly happy, but my mother is the coolest; very understanding, very sympathetic, and not about to leave her baby stranded at the airport! YAY MOM! So she leaves to come rescue me and bring me my spare key. While I'm waiting for her to drive the three hours to the airport I get a call on the payphone ( :) I was thinking clearly enough to have left a message on my girlfriend's machine with the payphone number I had been using!). Sure enough, she waited a grand total of 5 minutes before deciding that I had abandoned her (this girl just never understood! Took me a while to realize that!) and had taken a cab. "Sorry" she says. I try my hardest to explain that I'm not like her other friends; that I actually keep my promises. To her credit she did offer to come pick me up, but my mother was already on her way. She did come down and wait with me for a while, but finally abandoned me after a few hours when my mother hadn't shown up (Caring sap that I am, I told her that she didn't have to wait with me anymore and that she should go home and rest even though she was the reason I was there to begin with!). I waited a while longer before trying my cell phone again (it still had a little power left) to get ahold of my mom and see what had happened. My mom assured me she was at the airport and had been circling for the last half hour trying to find me! She was a bit upset at this, especially since I hadn't been answering my phone (my mom's a bit of a worrier and had assumed something awful had happened to me). I described to her my location, which not surprisingly didn't match up at all to where she was. She WAS at the airport...just not the one I was at! Somewhere in the confusion she'd missed the part where I had told her which one I was trapped at! Another thirty minutes later good ol' Ma finally finds me! Just over EIGHT HOURS after I had first arrived there! Since she had been camping, she didn't have any cash on her and hadn't brought her ATM card to rescue me, and since I had used all of mine up trying to get out of the place I ended up having to be billed by the airport for parking. We also somehow managed a wrong turn on the way home, which took us both over a bridge neither of us had toll for, just as neither of us had toll for the actual bridge we needed to cross to get home! Finally my ordeal was over. Needless to say, I had decided to change my plans and spend the weekend camping with my folks instead of spending time with my "girlfriend"! :rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Yes you can call me absent minded too.

Just this week I left our family business (an ice cream parlor) unlocked at night and I forgot to set the alarm (second time this year).

I once went to a funeral looking quite dapper except the fact I had sneakers on.

I leave the computer on all the time, forgetting to shut it off when I am done.

Whenever my mom calls to say "put the clothes in the dryer, thaw some steak for dinner, fold the towels, etc. 85% of the time I forget to do it."

Locked my keys twice this year at the school parking lot. Felt retarded when the same campus police man came with the slimjim. (I take solace in the fact that my brother also locked his keys in the car twice).

I've been known to miss exits, or take the wrong fork on the thruway because I am so accustomed to traveling the same route to school all the time, that when I am going elsewhere, I just forget that I have to take different a way!

QLD
06-15-2002, 07:36 PM
OK, I cannot believe I am telling this story.

Around the summer of 86, just after 5th grade, I am at a campground with my dad. One of those crappy ones where they have lots of RV's parking there and such. Anyway, one morning, I go to take my shower in the shower buliding. I walk in, I only see one door, and it is open, and not marked, so I go in assuming it is the right one, because my dad told me that was where to go.

SOOO, I start showering, and during my shower, I hear female voices coming in. There are no curtains, just shoulder high walls between shower stalls. I am thinking, uh oh.....and two women come in. One a mom in her 30's, and a girl probably about 12 or 13. They asked why I was in there, and I said it was the only shower room. SO, they seemed confused, but then went to the opposite end of the shower room and started showering. I was freaking out! And NO I am not making this up. And I was really not old enough to appreciate my circumstance at the time!

Sooo, they are showering, and I am trying not to look, while looking at the same time. Anyway, I am way done with my shower, so I decide to get out, but my clothes are waaaayyy over on the other side of the room, along with my towel. So I have to walk past them, naked to get it. One other problem too. Puberty had already kicked in a while back, and I was at, well, full attention. I did not want them to see that. I was in kind of a dilemma. Eventually I just decided to go for it and not worry, went and tried to act casual as I dried off and got dressed. They even said bye and giggled when I was leaving. I was really embarrassed.

I was even MORE embarrassed when I walked out of the shower room, to see the MENS shower room on the opposite side of the building! Apprantly the door had been obscured somehow. Anyway, I felt really dumb. My dad and brother laughed at me for a long time about that. And still do probably. I wish I had been just a little older and I might have appreciated it even more.

I guess because of my young age, they weren't worried about me. Oh well. :D

DeadEye
06-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Quitelong, if it's after 5th grade you should only be about 10 or 11 years old!!! And you say puberty already kicked in??? You should be in the Guiness book of world records, my man! It's usually 14 years old for most males!

Hmm, this just happened to me today:

My mom and I get home from the store. I always get stuck lugging the heavier groceries while she carries a few light ones and then sits inside the house and chills! Well, we have a wacky dog that always jumps all over us and gets into the groceries. My mom opened the back door and let the dog out to stay in the back yard while I brought all the crap inside. But since it was heavy and my hands would be full, I took the initiative and pushed forward a little thing that propped the front screen door wide open. I then picked up the gargantuan bags and trotted happily back inside. Then, for some stupid reason, my mom opens the back door and lets the dog back inside! Of course the dog bolts for the open front door and the exposed outdoors. "Shut the door!" my mom screamed. So I had to drop all the heavy bags, walk all the way from the car to the door (a good thirty feet), push the little thing and shut the door. Then I walk all the way back to the car and pick up the bags. Then my mom, even though she was standing next to the screen door, screamed "It isn't shut all the way!!!!" So, in an angry fit of annoyed rage, I once again drop the bags and walk all the way back to the door, and I'm so mad that I just kick the door so it shuts all the way. I then trudge all the way back to the car, pick up the heavy bags, and trot back up to the door. I wait for about a minute with the bags burning my fingers while my mom fends off the dog and opens the door for me. Afterwards, we put all the crap away and we notice that I put a humongous dent in the door! And we can't fix it. And my dad got so mad that he still isn't even talking to me!

stillakid
06-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
OK, I cannot believe I am telling this story.

Around the summer of 86, just after 5th grade, I am at a campground with my dad. One of those crappy ones where they have lots of RV's parking there and such. Anyway, one morning, I go to take my shower in the shower buliding. I walk in, I only see one door, and it is open, and not marked, so I go in assuming it is the right one, because my dad told me that was where to go.

SOOO, I start showering, and during my shower, I hear female voices coming in. There are no curtains, just shoulder high walls between shower stalls. I am thinking, uh oh.....and two women come in. One a mom in her 30's, and a girl probably about 12 or 13. They asked why I was in there, and I said it was the only shower room. SO, they seemed confused, but then went to the opposite end of the shower room and started showering. I was freaking out! And NO I am not making this up. And I was really not old enough to appreciate my circumstance at the time!

Sooo, they are showering, and I am trying not to look, while looking at the same time. Anyway, I am way done with my shower, so I decide to get out, but my clothes are waaaayyy over on the other side of the room, along with my towel. So I have to walk past them, naked to get it. One other problem too. Puberty had already kicked in a while back, and I was at, well, full attention. I did not want them to see that. I was in kind of a dilemma. Eventually I just decided to go for it and not worry, went and tried to act casual as I dried off and got dressed. They even said bye and giggled when I was leaving. I was really embarrassed.

I was even MORE embarrassed when I walked out of the shower room, to see the MENS shower room on the opposite side of the building! Apprantly the door had been obscured somehow. Anyway, I felt really dumb. My dad and brother laughed at me for a long time about that. And still do probably. I wish I had been just a little older and I might have appreciated it even more.

I guess because of my young age, they weren't worried about me. Oh well. :D

That's a great story! Thanks. :)

QLD
06-16-2002, 01:58 AM
What can i say, I was an early bloomer. I was 5'10" in 5th grade. 6'0" by 7th. However, I am still 6'. I peaked early. :( I was hoping to be about 6'6"

figrin bran
06-16-2002, 02:35 AM
i've been known to answer the phone at home in the same manner as i do at work. which makes for some very confused callers.

Obi-Don
06-16-2002, 07:01 AM
I'm good at walking into things like poles and yes, even a wall. You would think that you couldn't miss something like a wall,but I can.

DeadEye
06-16-2002, 09:50 AM
I walk into doors with some frequency!

InsaneJediGirl
06-16-2002, 12:19 PM
I mainly do stupid things if I'm not fully paying attention to small things.Like if I dont pay attention when I'm walking on pavement,I normally fall and somehow sprain my ankle(Its happened 6 times in the last year and a half..).

I also run into a lot of poles.Remember kiddies,dont read and walk at the same time,its dangerous :D

jjreason
06-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Locking the keys in the car with it running. At work. Im a policeman. Yes, one time the lights and sirens WERE running right in the middle of an intersection downtown. Not very cool at all.
I also stub my middle toe on my left foot on anything and everything when I get tired. My wife loves this and giggles like hell while I yelp arround the house looking for something to vent rage on. Not cool, either.

Needles
10-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Im not sure if this is an old topic,but,what was the most stupid thing you've ever done.For Me it was when I was 11 and ran into a tree,I didnt hurt my head instead hurt something I cant say on these forums,it was black blue for at least a week in a half,I laugh every time I talk about it.This is one of the first time it has ever been badly hurt by a hard object,Its happened when I flew off my bike into my friend who was in front of me,I ran my bike into a mailbox once again hurting the thing I cant say,and pretty much Ive done lots of stupid stuff,you?:D

Patient Zero
10-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Here: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10251

The Overlord Returns
10-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Needles
Im not sure if this is an old topic,but,what was the most stupid thing you've ever done.For Me it was when I was 11 and ran into a tree,I didnt hurt my head instead hurt something I cant say on these forums,it was black blue for at least a week in a half,I laugh every time I talk about it.This is one of the first time it has ever been badly hurt by a hard object,Its happened when I flew off my bike into my friend who was in front of me,I ran my bike into a mailbox once again hurting the thing I cant say,and pretty much Ive done lots of stupid stuff,you?:D

dude..........you have TO PROTECT Mr. happy at ALL TIMES!!!

....to quote obi wan....."This weapon is your life!" ;)

Boba Rhett
10-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Maybe you should start wearing a cup as everyday wear? ;)

What to choose....

You know the old kind of darts that had medal tips and were used with a wooden dart board? Well my brother, "master jedi" and I would take turns standing against a wall and throwing them at each other to see who could come the closest to each other. It's hurts to even think about that one. Man I was stupid. :D

Needles
10-10-2002, 05:49 PM
that was funny,and I should've worn a cup after the tree "Incident"

master jedi
10-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Needles
This is one of the first time it has ever been badly hurt by a hard object,
um......ok. :D

I do stupid stuff all the time so it would be hard to figure out a really stupid thing that I've done.

derek
10-10-2002, 10:32 PM
but did you intend to run into the tree? if so, that would be stupid, but if not, it is an accident.

i've done some really stupid stuff, but i'll be darned if i tell.:)

Dar' Argol
10-11-2002, 12:28 AM
I merged these two threads as they are about the same thing.

Emperor Howdy
10-11-2002, 04:44 AM
That was stupid, Dar.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA.............yeah. :zzz:

Jeeez, I've done tons of stupid things.

I remember when I was about 6 I put on roller skates and rode a bike at the same time trying to look cool in front of the neighbor girl. What a dork. :rolleyes:

I remember we had these other next door neighbors....the Siggersons. You could look out my bedroom window right into their bathroom window. They'd never shut the blinds, and you'd always see 'ol Mr. or Mrs. Siggerson on the can reading the paper. One night my brother and I put our stereo speaker up to my open window and hooked up his "Mr. Microphone". We cranked up the volume, and made obnoxious farting noises while Mr. Siggerson took a dump. After about 45 seconds, he jumped up and turned off the bathroom lights. We turned off the lights as well and sat there giggling in my room for an hour, then forgot all about it. When my parents got home, I saw Mr. Siggerson walking over to talk to my dad. That's one of the few times my dad really, REALLY beat our arses! :cry:

Umm....oh....I remember I worked for a construction company part-time when I was in college. We were caulking and painting the bank manager's office at a Wachovia. My boss told me to "be careful" probably 20 times....while the whole time I'm thinking, "Chill out, man, I know what I'm doing." I remember going to move a filing cabinet when this porcelain "golfer" statue crashed to the floor in a thousand pieces. I know this falls under 'accident', but come to find out it was a very expensive, sentimental gift from the staff at the bank. I felt terrible about it. :stupid:

There's tons more, all way too inappropriate for these forums. :crazed:

scruffziller
10-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Saying things that make people think that your sexual orientation is not what you say it is. But then again I also see the next guy doing the same thing, then we can joke about him.

Needles
10-11-2002, 02:56 PM
yes it was an accident.its funny as hell when you do things on accident.Its only stupid if you do it on purpose.and another thing I can talk about embarrising stuff all day online and not be embarresed why?because they no me by Hummerdude or Needle,nothing else.(as long as I dont know the person)