PDA

View Full Version : Vintage better than New???

Tatooine_Rebel
09-25-2001, 08:21 AM
In your guys's opinion, are there any Vintage figures who have stood the test of time, and you find them much better than the newer figures of them? If so, who? Personally I believe that the Jawa, and the Emporers Royal Guard are still the best after all these years. So, what do you think?:confused:

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 08:39 AM
Emperor's Royal Guard and Jawa, definitely! I still like the vintage Emperor better than anything I've seen from the new line, something about the old figures actually being able to sit down. As for other "they were better the first time":

Bib Fortuna
Nikto
Klaatu
Weequay
Barada
Yakface
Wicket
Logray
Han Endor
Leia Endor
Luke Jedi
Biker Scout
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Rebel Commando
Boba Fett (yes even better than the 300th :eek: )
Squidhead
Power Droid
Threepio
B-Wing Pilot
A-Wing Pilot

the list goes on....

Oh yeah, all the vintage vehicles.

Lobito
09-25-2001, 12:16 PM
Bib fortuna and the emperor's royal guard are way better than their POTF2 counterparts...the remote found in the vintage falcon gives points to the past, but i preffer the new one better.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Many of the cloth figures are better, in my opinion.

My list:
Hoth Han
Endor Han
Emp's Royal Guard
Bib
Jedi Luke
Boushh
Skiff Lando
Yoda
Lobot

+ probably more

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 11:01 PM
Ahh yes, Yoda. What an amazing array of accessories for such a tiny little figure! The fact that he had a tiny cloth cloak that was fastened on by a real working belt was incredible. Back when the word of the day was 'playability' not 'collectibility.'

It's too bad Hasbro doesn't have the same dedication to quality as Kenner did back then. Nowadays, all we get are immobile plastic cloaks and capes that destroy any play value a toy might've had. Sure the sculpting is superior now, but to call today's non-poseable chunks of plastic "action-figures" is close to heresy.

GNT
09-26-2001, 01:54 AM
One word "Lobot"!

Vintage Jawas are better than the 2pack versions :)

JEDIpartner
09-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Pretty much all of the ROTJ line from the vintage was superb! The faces still lacked the detail and accuracy, but overall they were much better toys!

I liked the Hoth Luke and Hoth Han and all the original Threepio sculpts.

The BIG bonus was that the toys were much sturdier back in the day... I chalk that up to the fact that these were meant to be toys and not "collectibles" per se.