PDA

View Full Version : Less than 8 weeks to go for Lord of the Rings DVD!!

JediDan
06-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Now that I've seen AOTC and got it outta my blood (for now) I am really starting to get excited for the DVD release of LOTR. There's a ton of awesome dvd's coming out in July and August but non have me in as much anticipation than LOTR. Now I just wish I had a surround sound system to watch it on. Less than 2 months to go. :D

Darth Cruel
06-15-2002, 10:14 AM
I am also looking forward to the release of the LOTR videos. But I am waiting for the release of the extended version on Nov 12. It is supposed to be 30 mins longer.

scruffziller
06-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Yea don't give in here in 8 weeks wait till November.

Beast
06-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Actually, if you want all the extras you need to buy both versions. There will be no carry over of extra features between versions. So buying the 2 disc set in August, and the 4 (or 5) disc set in November will give you all the making of features, and everything else about the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-17-2002, 05:11 PM
I think I'll buy the DVD, even though I never got to see the movie at theaters. :(

scruffziller
06-17-2002, 05:42 PM
oh ok cool

wedgeA
06-17-2002, 09:03 PM
I don't know about this extended edition. I have yet to see a great film made better by adding in new footage, especially a large amount like 30 minutes. In some cases like JFK, it actually made the film worse. New footage only works when the film is missing something, The Abyss a good example. I guess that's why great films are great. I am planning to go with the theatrical cut in August and sticking with it until I actually get to see the extended cut.

Beast
06-17-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
I don't know about this extended edition. I have yet to see a great film made better by adding in new footage, especially a large amount like 30 minutes. In some cases like JFK, it actually made the film worse. New footage only works when the film is missing something, The Abyss a good example. I guess that's why great films are great. I am planning to go with the theatrical cut in August and sticking with it until I actually get to see the extended cut.
The extended footage, is mostly charecter info that was cut for pacing and time. A few major things, that better explain things in the movie and in the second film were sadly cut. Here is the info as to all the restored scenes. :)

A new addition to the opening sequence in which Bilbo provides background on Hobbits and their history in voice-over as he writes his memoirs.
A new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, seen in his capacity as a gardener.
A scene taking place at the Green Dragon Inn, which introduces us to the camaraderie of the Hobbits (we see them singing together) and sets up the geopolitics of the story.
The Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree.
Aragorn watching over the sleeping Hobbits, singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien to himself in the night.
Aragorn at his mother's grave, in which we learn that he was raised by Elves and that Sauron has long hunted him.
Two new moments during the departure from Rivendale, one in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving, and another in which Elrond sees the Fellowship off.
A scene with the Fellowship in the mines of Moria, in which we learn how the Dwarves themselves unleashed the fire-demon that eventually destroyed them
A scene at Lothlorien, where Galadriel bestows upon each of the Fellowship a gift which will play an important role later in the Trilogy.
And finally, more footage of the battle at Amon Hen. This is not particularly bloody footage, but its addition will likely result in this cut of the film receiving an R-rating. (Only ended up PG-13)

You can read more about the 2 releases in the following thread:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5386

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks