PDA

View Full Version : Custom Luke & Han Stormy disguise figs - help needed

Forhekset
06-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Here's a question for you experienced customizers and collectors. I want to make a couple of custom Luke and Han in Stormtrooper disguise figures, using some of the Stormtrooper troop builder set figs. Since there are tons of versions of Luke and Han out there, what I'm wondering is, what are the best Luke and Han heads to use, in terms of:

1. Quality/accuracy of the head sculpts

2. How well the heads would work with the Stormy bodies

I also need some info on how exactly to do the head swaps, as I've never done this before. :) I think it involves boiling the figures in hot water or something? Thanks in advance....

MikeAndTheBots
06-13-2002, 07:16 PM
Well in my opinion T-16 Luke is the best Luke head. Can't help you on the others...sorry.

Sidiously Darth
06-13-2002, 07:19 PM
I would recommend you use a Solo head from one of his POTJ incarnations. They're pretty accurate. As far as Luke, maybe the POTJ Luke X-Wing or maybe the new Bespin Luke.

To get the heads off, check out the following link:

FFURG (http://www.ffurg.com/heads/removing_heads.htm)

Good luck!

Forhekset
06-14-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the input...I'm getting a POTJ Death Star Escape Han Solo for my Han Stormy. As for Luke, I have the X-Wing Luke but I'd need to do a little painting or something I guess to remove the gopher teeth. Same with the Saga Bespin Luke to remove the "battle damage". So I found an online store where I can get some of the best POTF2 sculpts pretty cheaply (around $4 a figure), so I'll pick one of those once I can see them in person, and use him for my Luke Stormy.

Erm and on the head swap, so I would just like boil both figures in hot water, remove them after a few minutes, pop their heads off, and then just stick 'em back in on the new bodies? I read that FFURG link but they don't go into a whole lot of detail. Maybe I'm making it harder than it really is, I just don't want to ruin my figures or anything....

ACPin
06-14-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Erm and on the head swap, so I would just like boil both figures in hot water, remove them after a few minutes, pop their heads off, and then just stick 'em back in on the new bodies? I read that FFURG link but they don't go into a whole lot of detail. Maybe I'm making it harder than it really is, I just don't want to ruin my figures or anything....
It's sounds real easy though you must take extreme care when popping the head off. The figure will be hot (don't handle it with bare hands) and soft (never use pliers or it will imprint on the head). Try a towel to handle it (hold the torso on one hand and the head with the other) and pop it off. Make sure that the heads you are using will be the same size fit. Otherwise you'll find out that it will be loose (at least you can put sculpey to thicken the neck) or worst that it will be too big that it wouldn't fit at all.

Forhekset
06-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by ACPin

It's sounds real easy though you must take extreme care when popping the head off. The figure will be hot (don't handle it with bare hands) and soft (never use pliers or it will imprint on the head). Try a towel to handle it (hold the torso on one hand and the head with the other) and pop it off. Make sure that the heads you are using will be the same size fit. Otherwise you'll find out that it will be loose (at least you can put sculpey to thicken the neck) or worst that it will be too big that it wouldn't fit at all.

Yeah, I'm wondering about the heads fitting. I guess there's no way to tell other than just comparing the figs huh?

A.J.
06-14-2002, 02:59 PM
If you're using the CT or Fan Club Stormtrooper as the body, boil and pop might not work on that head as the neck has double articulation (side to side and up and down). You may have to cut and glue.

Darth Annexis
06-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Back when POOTF II was in stores there was a Board game that came with a Storm Trooper Luke as he appeared in the trash compactor and a pretty generic Darth Vader. This luke head is perfect to fit in a helmet it is the smallest, most accurate one I have seen...

For Han, the Comtech Head was the best but you will have to work with it to get it to work...

cameo
06-14-2002, 05:53 PM
I used a cantina han head. I added the black collar by using a black twist tie from a loaf of bread. You have to trim it a little but it turns out pretty good. I used the skyhopper luke head and added the collar. They look cool, but they are the same hight, that bothers me a little.:crazed:

Forhekset
06-15-2002, 03:06 PM
Well, I did a little experimenting today. I picked two figures to test with - a POTF2 Boba Fett, and a CT (troop builder) Stormy. Getting the head off of the Fett worked just like it was supposed to, and sometime I guess I'll make a removable helmet version of him. But A.J. was right on the Stormy, his head would NOT come off. a couple of flaps on the sides came out, but it was still attached somehow. So I guess I'll be cutting the heads off my Stormies....