PDA

View Full Version : Things Can Only Get Better...?

Darth Brick
06-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a decline in the quality of Star Wars merchandise since Episode I? I mean, before the prequels, every figure was beautifuly painted and deco'd. Now most of them have cheap-looking paint applications with stray paint messing up an otherwise great figure.

Sure, I still buy the figures, but I spend about ten minutes shuffling through the racks just to find a Jango that doesn't look cross-eyed. In fact, I've caught myself laying out half a dozen Clone Troopers on the toy aisle floor trying to find the best looking one.

Count Dooku
06-13-2002, 11:27 PM
Actually, I really like the new line. I think the figures are incredibly detailed, and unlike past lines, the bubble is actually sturdy and holds the figure nicely with all the weapons and accessories. I think they are actually awesome. Taun We for example is an incredible figure.

Jaina Solo
06-14-2002, 01:33 AM
Yeah, just don't breathe on it or it'll fall over.

I had the same problem with the old figures, though- many had bad sculpts, bad paint jobs, or both. The first POTF Leia? Horrible. I still have nightmares about it. And how about Linebacker Lando?

Laserbrain
06-14-2002, 03:29 AM
I thought the sculpting and paint apps have actually improved since E1. The rubber bands that bend weapons and the overspray attempt at detailing has to go, though...every time Hasbro tries to do some good they end up ruining it all...

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 04:22 AM
IMO, POTJ was an improvement, but this Saga line feels like a decline. I don't know what to think, but I've never turned my nose up before at so many Star Wars figures. Now, I see some of the figures I don't have and they don't proverbially say "complete your collection!" to me anymore.

sideswipe1984
06-14-2002, 06:54 AM
JT has it right. POTJ was a huge step FORWARD for the most part (with the exception of the flimsy weapons and lack of main characters). But this saga line is two steps back IMO. With a few exceptions I'll take the inaccurate, but solid POTF2 line any day of the week over the over-posed, action-feature-laden, mispainted saga figs.

Jaina Solo
06-14-2002, 01:28 PM
Well, that's a good point, too. Some of the POTF2 stuff may have sucked, but it wasn't over posed.

JEDIpartner
06-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Yeah... I think these are a total leap backwards. I know Steve Sansweet is totally into the "action posed" figures, but I still think they are crap. The fact that there is so much going on with any given figure, the more there is for them to screw up. The paint rarely hits its intended mark. You can see where it was SUPPOSED to go, but it missed by a mile. The eyes have been particularly bad this go around. Either the dark spots are painted too small, too far apart, too close together or on the lids. They look like they are missing chromosomes! :frus:

Don't get me wrong- there is plenty to like about the line, but the quality issues and the poses leave much too much to be desired.

TIE Pilot
06-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Sure, some of the AOTC figs I bought have a few minor (but easily correctable) painting mistakes. Actually, I've seen worse painting errors in some of the earlier waves.

DarthBrandon
06-14-2002, 06:42 PM
JT hit it on the nose. POTJ was great and now I feel like Hasbeen has taken a huge step backwards with the new line. Most of the new figures I passed on with the exception of a very few. They need a board or committee of collectors to tell them what's good and what's bad. Just my opinion.

Lonely Padme
06-14-2002, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the quality of this line too.
There are some great figures, but as I've posted in another thread, just compare the two battle droids between EP1 and
EP2. The plastic in EP2 looks cheap and so is the paint job.

As for trying to make the figures more realistic and true to scale,
I'll say forget it. You should only do that for maybe a 12" or 9" figure. By making the figure more realistic, the joints will be smaller, so there's less room to make articulation.

And the realism isn't even that great - look at Padme's tiny head compared to her bodybuilding chest.

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 06:10 AM
I hardly ever felt the articulation on the POTJ figures was too small or fragile or un-toy-like, and there was a sense of scale in that line - that's part of what made it a great line IMO, they did keep things like scale and realism in mind but were still able to keep a balance between great figures and great SW toys. That's just me though, but it's part of what I meant about Saga feeling like a step backwards.

Old Fossil
06-15-2002, 09:00 PM
This line has winners and losers, just like any other. I finally found Orn Free Taa yesterday, and I am impressed with the paint job AND the pose (NOT what you'd call an action-oriented character, anyway...). Kamino Escape Jango is another example of a very nice figure. I mean, doesn't anyone remember flimsy old 8D8? The good old days weren't always that good.

I'm just happy to see Star Wars figures on the shelves at all these days! At least we can pick and choose from a fairly wide variety.

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 09:42 PM
If you had said EV-9D9, I would have agreed with you, but I like the POTF2 version of 8D8, especially its head. Then again, that was what, 6 years ago? Design and materials have come a long way since then... in theory. ;) :D

Darth Narcis
06-17-2002, 01:24 AM
i dont know why, but i also like the older figs better. the new ones just dont seem to have as high a quality to them, with the plastic and even weapons...

aceguide
06-17-2002, 12:13 PM
I think for the most part the overall quality of the sculpts is amazing. Sometimes the paint jobs could be better - but quality control is not a high priority for Hasbro.

What really gets me are the flimsy weapons. What gives?!?

If the argument that they are made this way to avoid poking eyes out then why are there launching missles?

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 07:31 PM
It's possible the US government has changed their regulations about smaller toys in the past 2 years or so for choke and poke issues, but I don't know... seems like some accessories are just flimsy.

Hellboy
06-17-2002, 07:58 PM
I really like some of the figures in the new line and there are others I dislike. I guess it depends on what kind of collector you are whether or not you will be satisfied with this line or not. If you open your packages you might be dissapointed at the poor quality control when you see varied paint jobs on like figures and stupid gimmicks and action features in place of better articulation. Some of the weapons are flimsy and certain figures feel cheap. On the other hand from the point of view from the collector who keeps his/her figures in the packages they look great. The action poses look cool and the Saga stlye packaging identifies the episode from which the figure is from. It is also nice that Hasbro has finally gone with a easy to understand # system for collectors as well. I enjoy the new line and I open the figures I find worthy of being opened and collect all of them on the card for display.