PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Pleasure Music (yep, another music thread)

Fulit
09-25-2001, 01:15 PM
Ok, so I've been thinking about music a lot lately if you can't tell. So who are your "guilty pleasure" bands, the ones you listen to by yourself because your friends make fun of you? One of mine is No Doubt, all my friends laugh because they're so "pop", but I can't help it, I've always liked punk and ska, and then theres the obvious attraction of Ms. Stefani and her voice. Another one of mine is Blondie. Hmm, I see a pattern here.......

El Chuxter
09-25-2001, 01:55 PM
You consider Blondie a "guilty pleasure" band?

Fulit
09-25-2001, 01:58 PM
one of them. for me anyway, only because, like I said, my friends laugh at me. I have a lot of "metal" friends. Don't think about what mine are, what are yours?

Starfig873
09-25-2001, 04:14 PM
A guilty pleasure? Um...well I really like Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers...does that count?

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-25-2001, 04:40 PM
I really, really hate heavy metal, in almost all of it's forms. But every once in a while somme stupid cheesey heavy metal song comes on that I liked as a kid and I can't resist. "Photograph" or "Hysteria" by Def Leppard. "Every Rose Has It's Thorn." "Cum On Feel the Noize" by Quiet Riot.

Also, I sometimes crank up "All-Star" by Smashmouth in the car, although I feel a bit dirty afterwards.

Most of my favorite music is early punk (though I don't really like the Sex Pistols), post-punk, and New Wave, so I really dig Blondie. No guilt there, just pleasure.;)

master jedi
09-25-2001, 05:39 PM
I listen to the ***cough*** Moulin Rogue soundtrack.

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 05:59 PM
When I'm by myself and no one's around I.....Oh wait, we're talking about guilty pleasure MUSIC.

Well, I listen to a lot of electronic bands, when I don't care about other peoples opinions. Stuff like Aphex Twin, Kraftwerk, and Propellerheads. Plus some of the Import Techno collections. Usually the best ones I've heard are from Europe and Korea. American Techno has too much of a rap/hip-hop influence for my taste.

bibfortuna
09-25-2001, 10:53 PM
Guilty pleasure music?

George Michael
Phil Collins

Star Wars (My friends see the SE CDs and say "Wow, what are THOSE - oh. Star Wars.")

Muppet Movie soundtrack (yep)

John Denver (occasionally)

Soundtrack to South Park - Bigger Longer and Uncut

I have some widely varying tastes in music...

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-26-2001, 12:43 AM
I LOVE John Denver! Can't believe I forgot that one. MAybe I'm not as ashamed as I should be.;)

I dig the Propellerheads. Their first record is great. They have some good remixes, too, if you can find them.

I also forgot to mention that I still own a Milli Vanilli CD. I have gotten offers for it, but I refuse to part with it.:)

GNT
09-26-2001, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
I listen to the ***cough*** Moulin Rogue soundtrack.

*Cough* Guilty *cough* *cough*

Need help... At least I aint alone :)

Starfig873
09-26-2001, 08:00 AM
Ooh! I really like that Mr.Big song, "Next to be with you"

:D

El Chuxter
09-26-2001, 03:17 PM
I listen to lots and lots of music, so it'd be hard to list everything I listen to that's not popular. However, there are three that are below all else in my collection:

1) Tom Jones: The Very Best of Tom Jones--At least this one I occasionally exploit for its humor value.

2) Stryper--I have all their tapes up to In God We Trust. Although now I recognize that they were a lame Kiss knock-off (and worse: a spin-off from Poison!) that only gained popularity through their exploitation of the label "Contemporary Christian," I occasionally have to blast "To Hell With the Devil" or their cheesy rendition of "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

3) Debbie Gibson: Electric Youth--Yep, I own the only copy played after May 17, 1991. :D

bigbarada
09-26-2001, 09:09 PM
I used to love those Dawson's Creak songs by Paula Cole and Heather Nova. Before I realized they were Dawson's Creak songs, now I don't admit to anybody I like them.

:confused:

Oh wait, forget you read that.:D

Obi-Don
09-27-2001, 10:24 AM
I listen to alot of different types.I can go from hard rock to soft to pop. Don't tell anyone but I....like [ABBA] did I say that! No I didn't,that was my evil twin. :p

master jedi
09-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Don't tell anyone but I....like [ABBA] did I say that! No I didn't,that was my evil twin. :p

Don't worry I won't tell anybody since I like to listen to some ABBA from time to time.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-27-2001, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I like ABBA too, and I know I SHOULD feel kinda guilty, but from a melodic, pop-songwriting standpoint, their music really is pretty brilliant. That's the biggest problem with today's pop-groups: too much emphasis on over-production and not enough on writing good songs.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-28-2001, 12:28 PM
I have a James Bond CD with all the theme songs up to "Tomorrow Never Dies" on it. With my anal retentivness honed, I have altered the original order of the songs to play in actual order of original release on my computer at home.

For some reason I just can't play "A View to a Kill" before "From Russia With Love." It's sacrilege I tells ya'! I can imagine poor old Cubby Broccoli turning in his grave...

Jargo
09-29-2001, 06:25 PM
Dionne Warwick sings Burt Bacharach.........
I also listen to ABBA. I have the soundtrack to Miss Saigon and sing along to the Jonathan Price bits which really tax the vocal chords :) Nothin' like a rousing musical theatre experience to make you feel dirty and shameful. Especially one with naughty words in it. well, not that naughty....
I found a site that had loads of ancient tacky tv themes on it and saved them to my PC so I can listen to stuff like the Quincey theme while I type. It's wicked the buzz I get from cheesey theme tunes. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2001, 08:43 PM
CD-wise, Hootie and the Blowfish and Phil Collins get some regular airplay by me. I never am ashamed of my Weird Al collection (I have all your albums...), but it's still a kind of guilty pleasure. As for groups I like but may not have albums, cassettes, or CDs of:

- Katrina and the Waves (tell me, just try and feel bad during "Walking on Sunshine!" )
- MC Hammer
- Kenny Rogers
- Primus
- Elton John
- Megadeth (really!)
- Suzanne Vega

Fulit
09-29-2001, 09:22 PM
Theres been some good and funny responses to this thread. It's funny how what is a guilty pleasure band to one can be a proudly listened to band to another. Here's a few more of mine:

Randy Travis (grew up with country-listening parents)

BeeGees (I'm sorry, but I like Saturday Night Fever)

Duran Duran :rolleyes:

Janet Jackson (My name ain't Baby. It's Janet)

I realize these are much worse than my first entry. I was basically testing the waters if you know what I mean. Then I saw some of the other responses and didn't feel so bad. :D

Obi-Dan Kenobi
10-01-2001, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
[B] [COLOR=skyblue] [It's wicked the buzz I get from cheesey theme tunes. :D

At work we thrive on shows like Magnum, PI and such on the TV in the bar. One guy I work with knows exactly when the credits to the Rockford Files comes on, turns it on just to hear the theme song, and then flips back to SNL reruns.:D :)

You hear some pretty sweet themes on the Game Show Network, too.

vulcantouch
10-21-2001, 03:48 PM
"i find considering the enjoyment of any music a 'guilty' pleasure a curious concept" -composer philip glass
it sounds like my man glass is not sufficiently acquainted w/much of what we're discussing here ;)

fulit: bee gees' "night fever" and "more than a woman" are cool, as well as quite a few other things on that soundtrack :p but everything else bg's did was LAME :p duran's got several cool tunes such as "planet earth", "rio", "save a prayer", "anyone out there", "last chance on the stairway", "new religion" and the VTAK theme. alas, aside from vtak and ordinary world, everything after their first 2 albums sucks :p

b-cj: elton's got some cool songs, they even sang along to one in Almost Famous :)

ej, mj, o-dan, o-don: the only abba i like is sos, and yes they and smashmouth Are guilty pleasures ;)

fulit, o-dan, ec: blondie's "do the dark", "live it up" and "rapture" from her Autoamerican album're Great :) a few of debbie harry's solo cuts like "mood ring", "backfired" and "now i know you know" are cool too :)

bibfarttuna: how does that south park fart song sound on cd? ;)

s873: i used to Hate tom putty & the fartmakers, now for some reason i don't mind him so much :)

ec: ever see dweezil zappa's ton jones impression? a real hoot :D
the masters at work 12" remix of dg's "losin myself" is pretty cool :) maw's "little" louie vega was a producer on a lot of her early stuff. of course, this was before he (along w/maw partner kenny dope) helped give rise to the cool house sound of the early 90s :)

mc: re john barry talk, i'm yer man (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/000933.html) :cool:

quiet riot? stryper?? john denver??? phil collins???? mc Hammer????? all right then, if that's how you guys wanna play, THE GLOVES ARE OFF! :eek:
since your obvious aim in mentioning those "artists" is to turn our stomachs, i think it's time to raise the stakes and expose you all to a lethal dose of DIAGONAL WOOD MUSIC :eek:
"diagonal wood music" is what a friend of mine & i have christened an especially vile strain of pop that plagued fm radio circa 1978-80. the name derives from the wall-treatment fad popular at the time among fans of this cancer: think fern bars, hot tubs, houses with solar heating. before you know it, you'll be in that diagonal wood state of mind :eek:
a few "artists" were guilty of defining and embodying the diagonal wood sound in its purest form. they, along with their hit songs, were as follows:
al stewart (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=STEWART*AL/itemid=328812): "year of the cat", "time passsages (buy me a tic-ket onnn thelast train home 2-niiite)" :p
ambrosia (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=AMBROSIA/itemid=404895): "you're the biggest part of me", "that's how much i feel" :p
firefall (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=FIREFALL/itemid=11604): "you are the woman (that i've always dreamed of)", "just remember i love you" :p
england dan & john ford coley (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=ENGLAND+DAN+&+JOHN+FORD+COLEY/ITEMID=384459): "nights are forever without you", "it's sad to belong to someone else (when the right one comes along)", "i'd really love to see you tonight" :p
rupert holmes (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=HOLMES*RUPERT/itemid=1236902): "answering machine", "escape (the pina colada song)" :p :p :p
starting to see a pattern? lyrics that'd fit like a glove into a Ziggy cartoon? wimpy, Three's Company-style keyboards? dorky bandmembers with such horrible tastes in fashion there's no Way they woulda got laid if they Hadn't had a top40 hit? :p
a few others contributed one-shots to the genre:
robbie dupree (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=DUPREE*ROBBIE/itemid=798441): "steal away (into the night)" (also known as the song that tried to rip off doobie brothers' "what a fool believes" ) :p
little river band (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=LITTLE+RIVER+BAND/itemid=332186): "reminiscing (we'll go dancin in the dark, walkin thru the park and. . . :p )"
steely dan (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=STEELY+DAN/itemid=324986): "dirty work"
not All diagonal wood music is bad, however; just Most of it :o a few exceptions:
gerry rafferty (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=RAFFERTY*GERRY/itemid=327557): "right down the line", "home & dry", "baker street" (ok, that last one Is kinda cheesy :p )
pablo cruise (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=PABLO+CRUISE/ITEMID=1368376): "whatchoo gonna do (when she says goodbye)", "love will find a way"
can anyone else think of some? and remember, fall is the Perfect time for diagonal wood :)
aren't you glad this topic got started? :p
vt
np: babys (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=484553078/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=BABYS/itemid=337794), "isn't it time"

Mike Troxell
10-21-2001, 07:23 PM
Guilty pleasures....hmmmmm....I let very few people know that the majority of what I listen to is classical music and film score. For some reason, that's just not cool in high school. And neither is Oingo Boingo. So I guess those are my guilty pleasures, although if you enjoy something you should never be guilty.

In the way of movies (I know, off topic)--Star Wars saga (8 or so people who really know me know that I like it), and...egads!..Sister Act. You can all stone me, hang me, and put me in front of a firing squad now if you want for that particular offense.

Emperor Howdy
10-21-2001, 07:58 PM
The following information is Top Secret. Any leaking of these facts to friends or girls I know will result in immediate execution:

I thought some tunes on Prince's Purple Rain were cool. Yeah, yeah, shut up...the dude's a killer guitar player actually.

Steely Dan

I sometimes stop and listen when Garbage is on the radio.

Some Paul McCartney solo stuff. Oh no...not the earlier cool solo stuff, I'm talking Pipes of Peace/Tug of War 80's crap....but that was a while ago.

I always liked that song "Cars" by Gary Numan.

.......................of course...now I have to kill you!

Wooooof
10-21-2001, 08:18 PM
I've been listening to Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits CD for a little while now.

ThomasLane
10-22-2001, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
I've been listening to Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits CD for a little while now.

One of my all-time favorites. I've played it so many times, if I ever went deaf, I could repeat that one in my head for the rest of my life.

good shot jansen
10-22-2001, 04:57 PM
at some tome or another, found myself in horror either tapping out the beat to these tunes with my fingers against the dash, or even......gasp! hummin the tunes out loud!

steely dan: fm - actually anything else from that lamo movie

joe walsh: lifes been good - another lamo trax from that lamo movie :rolleyes:

orleans: still the one - ack!:eek:

dire straits: sultans of swing - el layed to the hilt. at least baker street had an interesting sax hook!:p

jay ferguson: thunder island sha la la lovely m'lady....whoo boy!

10cc: the things we do for love - i've told my damn fingers, that the next time they move so much as an inch if that song comes on, they're gone! finished. chop!

paul mcCartney: silly love songs, let em in, listen to what the man said, et all - and this boy wuz a beatle?

np: sex pistols - pretty vacant (now that's some gooooood muzak!)

Jedi Mara Jade 809
10-23-2001, 12:17 AM
Well now I feel pathetic, I never considered listening to ABBA a guilty pleasure. Thanks for crushing my spirit guys!! My guilty pleasure has to be that Bye Bye Bye song from Nsync. I can't stand any of those teeniebop groups, but I catch myself singing out loud to that song if I hear it on the radio. Another guilty pleasure is Country music. Personally, I love it, but I get alot of grief from my friends when we're in the car and I start singing along to one of the songs. I think they are just jealous of my voice... yeah thats it!!!

master jedi
10-23-2001, 10:13 PM
No offense but I absolutely hate country music. I hate it because all the people I know that like country stuff are freaks.

El Chuxter
10-24-2001, 10:51 AM
Country music is, for the most part, bad adult contemporary sang with an exaggerated twang. It also has a disturbing tendency to dwell on wives leaving their husbands in the pickup--and worst of all, taking the dog!

However, I can stand Shania Twain (she's a cutie), the Dixie Chicks (I kinda dig the strings), Ray Stevens (funny stuff), Willie Nelson (excellent guitar), Hank Sr (great songwriter), and Johnny Cash (though I'll go to my grave insisting he's folk and therefore cool enough to listen to regularly). I even can tolerate some Garth Brooks, especially his cover of KISS's "Hard Luck Woman."

Repeat none of this. ;)

Fulit
10-24-2001, 11:03 AM
As a child growing up, I was forced to endure the Peter Brady-like warbling and twanging of such "musicians" as Conway Twitty, Dwight Yoakum, and Garth Brooks. The extent of these buffoons' talent is the ability to make their voices rise and descend in pitch in such a way as to be comparable to fingernails on a chalkboard or chewing on aluminum foil with fillings on your teeth. In short, country music is an abomination and the whole world would be vastly improved upon it's disappearance. IMO.

Jargo
10-24-2001, 06:13 PM
"There's always someone lookin' at ya (oh-oh oh-oh!)" The Boomtown Rats. Now there's a guilty pleasure for you.....:eek:

"There's a silicon chip inside her head that's switched to overload..."

Luvverly jubberly! :D

El Chuxter
10-26-2001, 01:04 PM
Given the current situation, one of my favorite metal bands probably qualifies as a guilty pleasure based solely on their name.

Need I point out that the band in question is Anthrax?

Fulit
10-26-2001, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Given the current situation, one of my favorite metal bands probably qualifies as a guilty pleasure based solely on their name.

Need I point out that the band in question is Anthrax?

I've been thinking about them too, lately, I bet they can't get a gig anywhere.

bigbarada
10-26-2001, 01:12 PM
Ever since the postal service said not to open mail with any mention of "anthrax" on it, what the hell do the people who handle fan mail for the band Anthrax do?

Just wonder'd

I guess a sub-conscious guilty pleasure could have been when the "oldies" station in El Paso played Bobby Brown's "Every Little Step I Take" while I was at the office, I actually found myself tapping my feet to it without even realizing it!:o I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

El Chuxter
10-26-2001, 01:43 PM
Ewwww, bigbarada, that's just SICK! :p

Regarding Anthrax, I've heard that word so often lately, I just had to listen to them this morning on the way to work. I'd not listened to Sound of White Noise in a while and had forgotten how awesome it is.

And I was thinking--if I ordered one of their CDs from an online site or a music club, would I be the only person in the US to actually request to receive Anthrax in the mail? :confused:

Fulit
10-26-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

And I was thinking--if I ordered one of their CDs from an online site or a music club, would I be the only person in the US to actually request to receive Anthrax in the mail? :confused:

Hmm, that qualifies to be posted over in the "Weird Thoughts" thread too. ;)

vulcantouch
11-01-2001, 12:56 AM
however, we were able to think of an additional indisputabel dianogal wood song: "baby come back" by the wretched player (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=788135523/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=PLAYER/ITEMID=625150)- eewwww! :p c'mon guys, can't anyone else think of any more diagonal wood songs? if we can think of enough maybe we'll put out a theme cd :eek:

mt: the closest i come to liking boingo is "the last time" on elfman's "so-lo" album :) btw you might like this place (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/threads.asp?forumID=1) :)

tl: that is one Sick avatar you got there :)

eh: "cars" is cool! so is gn's "down in the park" :)

eh, gsj: my fave mccartney solos: "band on the run", "live & let die", "uncle albert/admiral halsey", "comin up" and his disco foray "goodnight tonight"- gotta love that bassline :cool:

ec: cash ain't folk, woody guthrie's folk :) cash's cool (i shot a man in houston. . .juuust to watch him die" :cool: ), so is patsy cline ("i go out walkin, after midnight") ; no need to apologize for likin them even though country as a rule leaves me cold. i like that short blond dixie chick, she stayed cute even when she porked out :) but Say no to ray stevens! he's just heehaw's answer to al yankovic :p:p:p

hey feloow yanks, lookie this invaluable resource i found:
http://music.adcritic.com/ :)
vt
np: the acura "palm springs" comm music, hint hint :)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2001, 10:58 AM
While I was attending a junior college 9 (??!!) years ago, in our school paper, (The Mountian Breeze) a writer did an editorial called "Why Country Music Should Be Bannsihed From the face of the Earth." I responded in my best PC can't-everybody-just-all-get-along style and got blasted in the next issue! Here's what sums up her reply best, the opening line: "Let's go onto Mr. [Bel-Cam Jos'] sorry excuse for a letter..." I remember these details exactly because it was so weird and kinda funny. After that, for the next 2 months or so, all the editorial page covered was whether I was right in having my opinion, she was right in hers, whether her insulting me made her a hypocrite, why others stupidly wrote in with "you're dumb and blah blah blah" type responses, etc. Ah, the confusion of the early '90s... ;)

By the way, I have heard some recent pop hits in my local grocery store set to Musak. Ack! :eek:

bigbarada
11-04-2001, 06:53 PM
I was at a TRU the other day and I heard a strangely familiar song over the store radio. It was "Lapti Nek" remade as a pop song!!:eek: The end must be near!

master jedi
11-04-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I was at a TRU the other day and I heard a strangely familiar song over the store radio. It was "Lapti Nek" remade as a pop song!!:eek: The end must be near!

Why the heck would anybody or anything want to remake that song.

good shot jansen
11-05-2001, 09:32 AM
another non diagonal woody, but of equal time transportin' capabilities would be gordon lightfoot - wreck of the edmond fitzgerald no other song takes me back to am radio, november 76 quite like that one does.

real dw calssics

chuck mangione - feels so good i know, i know, it's got no lyrics, but the dw sentiment is still there in full force. if it did have lyrics it would of coursen be sumtin' like this....feels so good, sittin' in the hot tub, watchin the sunlight bouncin' off the clouds that are high up in the sky....................

doobie brothers - what a fool believes diagonal wood at it's bes.......er...ah...at it's somthing.

starland vocal band - afternoon delight eeewwwww

supertramp - give a little bit here we go again.........(istill like crime of the century:p )

climax - precious and few ahhhrooooooooo cry da big woof!

maureen mcgovern - there's got to be a morning after actually, this one may be the original source from which all diagonal wood sprang from.

taveres - heaven must be missing an angel oohhhh boy, make my diagonal wood, red wood baby!

and last but not leas.......well maybe least john paul young - love is in the air

np: warrior - kill the machines

vulcantouch
11-09-2001, 01:00 AM
uh heh heh, yyyyup, you are Too right gsj; even hank & peggy hill (http://www.fox.com/kingofthehill/index.html) haven't forgotten about mangy-oh-nay :p other diagwood VerdicTs:
-isn't tavares more disco?
-it is the judgment of the diag wood court that despite its obviously qualifying arrangement & syrup, "what a fool believes" somehow does Not qualify as diagwood. it's almost the doobie's attempt to cash in on the disco dollar (disco stations routinely played it, while routinely shunning dyedinthewool diagwood; it seems the diagwood crowd fancied themselves too Meaningful to run with that frivolous disco crowd (when in truth they probably just couldn't keep up :sur: ); as a result, the disco world made the snubbing mutual :p
-"precious & few"? nope; a la "did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world", too vegasy, too love-boaty, too over-the-top to be diag wood- and not enough of diagwood's delusions of understated good taste ;) same with "morning after" (esp. if that love boat gets capsized :p )
-"afternoon delight"? nope; too grape-nutsy, a la america, james taylor and "edmund fitzgerald" (only gordon f i like is "if you could read my mind; i even heard a house version of this in too wong foo :eek: little river band's "reminiscing" is about as close to rural as diagwood gets. regardless of physical location, diagwood ain't rural, and it ain't urban. it's strictly a Suburban state of mind :p
here's one to debate: "(i wanna) kiss you all over" by exile (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=292995342/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=EXILE/itemid=11061); is this also too rural, or does it make the diagwood grade? how bout "slow dancin (swaayin to the music)" by johnny rivers (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=292995342/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=RIVERS*JOHNNY/ITEMID=467211)? or was he too MOR for diagwood?
consider carefully, these are important quextions :p
vt
np: lapti nek SUCKS :p

good shot jansen
11-09-2001, 09:30 AM
not too sure about mr. secret agent man though:sur: he is definately mor! but mor don't mean fahgedabahdit, i offer the following mor to the academy for consideration :D

seals and croft - get closer summer breeze and diamond girl were close enough ;), if this tune was any closer to the dw line, it would be behind it! :P

bob welch - sentimental lady i wasn't much of a fleetwood mac fan when he was drivin the mac:zzz:

speakin o' mac christine perfects - heroes are hard to find seem like a fine dw contender:p

david gates and bread - pick one, any one!:p , for the moment i'll go with make it with you

sammy johns - chevy truck sammy may have started in the middle of the road, but he found the ditch pretty darn quick :p

cornelius brother/sister rose - too late to turn back now i believe i believe i believe i believe i'm fallin in love (and i can't get back up!) somebody hit me!

the main ingrediant - everybody plays the fool if you asked me, they left out the main ingrediant!:p (of course you may find that this tune leans more to disco (however, if you try dancin' to it, you find that it's jes plain impossible!)

reunion - life is a rock (but the radio rolled me) dw rap!:eek:

if there's such a thang as dw metal then that list would have to include raspberries - go all the way

last but o' course not least of my diagonal wood selections for consideration is hall and oats - rich girl it's a beeyotch girl!

The 'Xir
11-13-2001, 04:23 AM
Hey I agree with Troxell, If you like something you shouldn't feel guilty!

For me, I think all my friends know I'm weird enough, so they don't think anything of the stuff I listen too. They also know I listen tooo Everything!!!

You know one thing I hate, is when people say Oh yeah I listen to all kinds of music, then you ask them who they listen to and they're like, "Oh bands like Sugerhill Gang and P dorky duffy did puff something whatever!" Or in the same vein, They'll be like"Oh I like Classic Rock, Rock, AND Heavy Metal" UuuHuh! Sure!

But really, I'll listen to anyone from Willie Dixon to Tool, Miles Davis to Radiohead, Patsy Cline to Sarah Mclachlan, and Gustav Holst to Urban Dance Squad

The only music I just don't really listen to alot of is HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY Metal-the kind where the lead singer sounds like he's gonna barf up his lungs everytime he sings if you can call it that! Hard Hard Hard core Gansta Rap(those guys should be shot), and New Age(Yanni, and John tesh sort of crap)

The only groups that I can think of that I listened to growing up that I always got weird looks about were, Duran Duran, Loverboy, Bryan Adams, and Poison? But, like I said I don't care they still rock, and hey Poisons making a come back I hear?!!! HeHeHeeee :evil:

Fulit
11-13-2001, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by The 'Xir

Hard Hard Hard core Gansta Rap(those guys should be shot),

I hope the irony of that statement didn't escape you. :D

The 'Xir
11-13-2001, 09:13 PM
Not in the slightest! :cool:

Oh and just so no one goes off their rocker about that little comment, NO I do not wish any ill will, or harbor prejudice, towards anyone! It's just that those guys...well... should be shot! ;) :D :p kidding!!! :rolleyes:

vulcantouch
12-14-2001, 12:19 AM
while i do like em, "go all the way" & "too late to turn back now", don't qualify as qualify as diagonal wood any more than looking glass' "brandy" or four season's "who loves you", respectively. they're much more early-70s gimmick sounds ;) as for "get closer": too much incense, not enough martini & rossi asti spumonti, martini & rossi asti spumonti :p
"everybody plays the fool"?? being that diagonal wood is always utterly soulless, how could it ever be black, fooo? ;) eptf fits more with "what you see it what you get", "love train", "walkin in rhythm" & other 70s r&b fall-mornin classix :D

david gates & bread's got too much of an am sound for diagwood (which is never without its fm pretensions), it's too low-tech, too treble, not enough studio processing, a la that song that guy was singin ("i gaaave my love a cherry, that had no stone, i gaaave my love a chicken, that had no bone" :rolleyes: ) in animal house right before belushi/bluto grabbed the guy's guitar, smashed it against the wall, handed it back and said "sorry" :D

"rich girl"?? oh, i spose you also think billy joel's "i'm movin out" is diagwood too?? after all, "i'm movin out" has that ridiculous motorcycle-engine-revvin-up-then-receding sound-effect to illustrate the lyrics in case we're too dumb to get the point without it :D not familiar w/others you name, maybe they had an east-coast skew a la joel & only charted in that region?

but despair not, your efforts are not All bullet-riddled carp: you have uncovered One true diagwood gem in your mineload: "sentimental lady" is truly wretched in that certain way only mainline diagwood can be :o :p :dead:
vt
np: another diagwood we just thought of: csn's "just a song before i go" :eek: their "our house", while close (mentioning 2 cats in the yard is a big diagwood plus), has a too-specifically new-england sensibility, which is maybe why diane chambers (shelly long) deigned to like it :p

good shot jansen
12-17-2001, 09:03 AM
but i's got's to address your 70's r&b early morning classix comment:)

some of my best adolescent music memories are made of these:happy:

o'jays - back stabbers! in 1972, my high school had just built a new library complete with grundig tuners fer listening with koss headphones (ain't nothing like listening to 70's groove through a grundig with koss phones i always say!), and october of 72 was the time for r&b bands to be makin' a big splash on the mor fm stations in nyc! and back stabers led the bunch....what they do:o

the staple singers - i'll take you there, and baby, did they ever!

gladys night and the pips - midnight train to georgia, whooo whooo!

bill whithers - lean on me, unfortunately this fall classic's been watered down through countless souless covers:frus: however, there is also his other fall morning classic use me :happy:

pointer sisters - yes we can can, yes they did did

i could go on with this list fer sometime, but of course, we are not here for these.

as fer "oh, i spose you think billy joels moving out is diagwood?", nah, just plain old crappy, just like everything this boy from baal's neck of the woods has done. (ok, ok, i do like scenes from an italian restaurant:eek: , don't know why, but i do)

that guy warblin' on the guitar in animal house was actually in fact stephen bishop, a man who's muzak is dangerously close to diagwood, similar in style to kenny loggins, who's foot loose i am submitting fer nomination. (i know, i know, a couple o' years past the diagwood cut off date, but damn woody anyway's)

speakin' o neo wood (wood neuvoux?) tommy tutone jenny (867-5309), is kinda punk wood.

and for my last consideration to the board fer today, stevie wonder:eek: (yep, stevie wonder) isn't she lovely

SWAFMAN
12-18-2001, 05:24 AM
...James Taylor
as the founding member of the Diagonal Wood Music Hall of Fame.

vulcantouch
01-10-2002, 12:00 AM
ain't gonna be easy doin this w/only 5 emoticons (http://sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2764) >:[

gsj: "72 was the time for r&b bands to be makin' a big splash"
-indeed; forget big-chilly 60s motown; r&b's true golden age was early-mid 70s, a height r&b has Yet to reattain :cool:
maybe the joe clark movie ruined "lean on me" for me; on the other hand maybe i Never liked it that much :P but i adore bw's "use me" and "ain't no sunshine". but i say those, midnight train, age of aquarius, pappa rollin stone, me & mrs jones, when will i see you again etc are actually icy urban night tunes rather than fall mornin classix. meanwhile, stevie wonder's gauzy, frozen sunset (60s & 70s stevie, that is; after that he Sucks). i just listened to my marvin gaye "what's goin on" cd ($2 at pawnshop!) for the 1st time, and am tryin to decide which of those 3 times it's best for.
footloose, diagwood? please, it's way too bombastic :rolleyes: i spose huey lewis is also diagwood, or kl's "danger zone"? ; )

swaffy: my diagwood co-conspirator & i long ago ruled that taylor didn't qualify as diagwood, though for the moment i can't exactly remember why (he was too rural? he was too mainstream & not enough of a gimmicky one-hit wonder? he was too successful at gettin laid? :eek: ), so i'll grant a temporary permit for his presence in the museum :Pirate:
vt
np: ace, "how long"

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Looks like it's my turn to list what is playing in the lbc household as we speak:

The Lovin' Spoonful's Greatest Hits. This is what they call feel good music. Favorite songs: You Didn't Have To Be So Nice, Summer in the City, Rain on the Roof.

The Association: Another smooth sounding mid to late 60's band that had close to 10 Top 40 Hits and 3-4 albums all within the span of about 2 1/2 years (ditto for the Spoonful) (those were the productive days of rock and roll). Favorite songs: Along Comes Mary and Cherish.

Billy Joel: Were talking classic BJ here, pre-The Stranger (1977), back when he wrote exceptional music, not just making music to sell albums. Those songs are lesser known, and I don't think they charted in the Top 40, but they include Miami 2017, Summer Highland Falls, the Ballad of Billy the Kid and I've Loved These Days. For great music see his Songs in the Attic LP that was released in 81'. All live recordings of his earlier studio released songs that lacked the energy and passion of his concerts.

Rush: One of the greatest bands that some people haven't heard of, and features probably one of the greatest lyricists ever Neil Peart: Limelight, Subdivisions and Lakeside Park.

My friend also conjured up a mix CD (at my behest) that features among other songs:

Friends of the Discple - Grazin' in the Grass
GLightfoot - If you could read my mind
Peter Paul n Mary - Puff the Magic Dragon and Where Have All the Flowers Gone? (written by one of the masters)
Paul Simon - Kodachrome
Goo Goo Dolls (Buffalo's own :happy: ) Black Balloon
Tommy James and the Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion (It's a new vibration) and Draggin' the Line.

And Led Zeppelin was my favorite band in 1991. What has happened to me? :crazed:

And GSJ - Bread is cool in my book! David Gates just has that mellow, lighter than air, ethereal tone to him, that lulls you into his music ;)

SWAFMAN
01-11-2002, 01:22 PM
LBC, I really enjoyed reading your comments about the music you like. I saw Rush live several times in the 70's-80's - and despite a measurable loss to my ability to hear hi-end sounds thanks to Geddy Lee, I loved Rush's concerts and most of their albums. I also agree there's a noticeable difference in Joel's work that you captured perfectly in your comment, "back when he wrote exceptional music, not just making music to sell albums."

VT, I agree with what you said about the early 70's R&B. Songs like 1972's "Papa was a Rolling Stone" by the Temps, and 1971's Album "What's Going On?" by Marvin Gaye (FREE cd copy from a friend ;)) are as powerful to me today as when I was an impressionable kid hearing the songs when they debuted. I like to play the "What's Going On?" album (cd) sometimes during quality time with my lady, and there are precious few moments for better listening enjoyment and perception of all the nuances and intricacies of a beautifully haunting song like "Mercy Mercy Me" than while laying in the semi-darkness of a candlelit room, in that heightened-sensed, semi-hypnotic state of spent afterglow.

(ego mandates I explain that the CD is set to auto-repeat and that it is not until the 2nd or 3rd time through the CD that we have reached that 'afterglow' state. I only say this because I know the MM forumers are way too sharp to not have caught the fact that "Mercy Mercy Me" only starts about 13 minutes into the album "What's Going On?", and although I may have been the originator of the thread Premature Avataration, I am sure as hell NOT.... oh well, you get the point ;) And I don't wanna hear any of that "Methinks thou...." shee-yat either! :) )

BTW, VT, your mixtape is also GREAT "quality time" music! I'd call it "VerTical Wood" rather than "Diagonal Wood" !!
:D :D

good shot jansen
01-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
And GSJ - Bread is cool in my book! David Gates just has that mellow, lighter than air, ethereal tone to him, that lulls you into his music

lulls you into something, that's fer dayum sure:o

however, breads gig ain't a total washout, my highschool girlfriend loved....errrr..ahhhh how did swaffy put it?.......ah yes, quality moments while gates blathered on, so's there is definately sum fine memories associated with his tunes;)

vt: stevie wonder's gauzy, frozen sunset (60s & 70s stevie, that is; after that he Sucks) - i give him up to and including innervisions, he dropped right off the table with songs in the key of life (i know, i know, i'm about the only person on the planet who feels that way), but that two lp chock full o' mush dreck which cost me an arm and a leg back in 76 is where i draw the line on lil stevie.

np: vt's mix tape supreme (vertical wood music? hmmm swaffy, gotta give it try!:) , wonder what the missus is doing bout' now);)

Man In The Box
01-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Alicia Keys
Alayah
Nelly Futardo

have to admit I have a thing for chicks like them Theyre hot and they can sing. Also they aint so 'fake' in the way Britney Spears and other is. They seem so much more real and sincere.

SithDroid
01-13-2002, 10:44 PM
ABBA, Moulin Rouge Soundtrack as well, Enya, Star Wars Soundtracks, SheDaisy, Jewel, Musicals

derek
01-14-2002, 12:36 AM
i'm suprised some of our "older" forum users haven't listed michael jackson as their number one guilty pleasure. i used to be the biggest "in the closet" michael fan. god forbid if anyone found out.:D

now that my musical tastes have evolved, he seems really wierd, in a sad way, and the possible child molesting stuff dosen't help. i did buy his new album though. :cry:

SWAFMAN
01-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Oh, so You were the one!

vulcantouch
01-15-2002, 12:26 AM
to wit: mj, abba, jewel, association (might also like gary lewis & the playboys in that case), rush, paul simon, bjoel etc etc :p :p :p

lbc: that's about the only gordon song i like. (they did a house version of it in Too Wong Foo as i recall.) lovin spoonful did a fun soundtrack for What's Up Tiger Lilly- heard it?

derek: if jackson was a girl i'd date her, she's awful purty :)

mitb: alicia's purty too, too bad she seems braindead :crazed: same goes for nelly :kiss: dont' get jdah started on aaliyah :O

gsj: "he dropped right off the table with songs in the key of life"
-just perused track listing of this (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=547557721/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=WONDER*STEVIE/ITEMID=1183623) and since nuthin's jumpin out at me i'm afraid i must concur :( i own it so i know there must be Sumthin on it i like but i can't recall what offhand :(

swaffy, gsj: "VerTical wood/wonder what the missus is doing bout' now"
-ltmi you sickos ;P but if you must, i suggest the house trax on middles of side 2 ;)
vt
np: gaye, "sexual healing" (instr. b-side)

SWAFMAN
01-15-2002, 12:50 AM
(thanks VT - that could've been a problem)

;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-16-2002, 01:17 AM
SWAF: I had the opportunity to see Rush back in '97 but couldn't go. My 2 older brother's got to go :frus: (they are bigger fans) and enjoyed it. Amazing they can perform all those songs live, with all of that music/instruments, with just 3 people. But truly they are one of the greatest (even if they are Canucks :rolleyes: )

VT: I do like that GL work along with "Sundown" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." And if I am not mistaken an updated "If You Could Read My Mind" was featured in the movie 54 with Mike Myers and Selma Hayek.

And yes the Spoonful did 2 songs for Woody Allen's movie What's Up, Tiger Lily." One is called "Pow!" That song hasn't really caught on to me.

mabudonicus
01-20-2002, 02:24 PM
Being true Metal Manowarrior (so long my stride the earth doth tremble with fear) and all, my nusical guilty pleasures would have to be 1-Gordon Lightfoot 2-Ray Parker jr(the ghostbuster- he's got some totally hilarious stuff that's actually pretty good in a weird way)

jeddah
01-20-2002, 05:51 PM
Swaffy and VT, I've tried to keep outta this thread for raisons d'egoiste ;) but need some humility today so;

Hong Kong Swing Cruella De Ville My parents shoulda worried when their 9 year old bought this 12" record. It is absolutely awful, I liked it for the novelty I guess but wasn't aware just how naff it was until I hit puberty:o It'd never get pressed these days what with the psychotic PC awareness that seems to infect like Captain Trips :rolleyes: No-one will've ever heard this so for your info, typical lyrics include;

"Get into the rhythm of the Hong Kong Swing
You grab a little geisha then you have a little fling"

and worse

"Hare, Hare, Kamikaze, sianara sing, sweet n sour oo-ahh , Hong Kong Swing!"

(Actually, this probably would qualify for the PC censor)

You Spin Me (like a record) Dead or Alive - Is it a bloke? is it a shemale? is it an It? Probably the scariest and ugliest drag queen in the world, this Liverpudlian horror populated the charts with camp hits in the 80s. I loved the video with the many-armed dancing and turned on to the record - again I was but a child so I have an excuse. Anyone into horror should check out the 12" of Something in my house with its liberal sampling of The Exorcist and House

Rofo's Theme - Rofo Massive superHi NRG gay anthem that I have no idea why I bought in 1990 as it is almost as new as a pin, unplayed but for night I bought it....A Super-Club I went to years ago used to have a record stand where you could pick up promos and white label tracks along with other dance and pop choons. I must've been melted the night I bought this petrifying horror of an instumental. :crazed:

I can see I've lost you all now, so that's all ;)

Swaffy and VT, you can see why I'm not keen on recording a CD for the upcoming transpondal package :D

jeddah

vulcantouch
02-07-2002, 12:10 AM
-quip by an otherwise unmemorable actress/sista on PI last night :happy:
quoting lyrics out of context as a way of illustrating a song's banality, eh jdah? what, are you tryin out for a job as a banal Rolling Stone rock critic? ;) i agree, that deadoralive song is eeeww :p recordin a cd? i thought you was gonna make me a VTape instead?? :cry:
lbc: yer prolly right, but i haven't seen 54 since it came out & it seems like i've heard the housey "read mind" more recently. and re spoonfuls' Tiger Lily music, i meant their bond-sih instrumental cues. i agree, their TL pop tunes did nuthin for me either :p
gsj, swaffy et al: diagwood scholar pal & i have recalled a few more candidates for consideration:
stephen bishop, "save it for a rainy day" (includes the lyric, "well she's kinda pretty" -perhaps cuz, were she Really pretty, the diagwood audience might not deem this song sufficiently mellow & middling :p )
kenny loggins & stevie nicks, "whenever i call you friend" (did one of you already cite this? :stupid: )
dr. hook, "sharing the night together" (as opposed to sharing the night Apart? :rolleyes: ) his "love you a little bit more" was also suggested, but i don't personally recall it-
vt
np: trashmen, "surfin bird (http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=135516908/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=FULL+METAL+JACKET/ITEMID=323622)" (might surf rock comprise a whole new frontier of guilty pleasure music for us to wallow in? :stupid: )

Emperor Howdy
02-07-2002, 12:15 AM
mabudon.....this hurts me as much as it hurts you....but due to your admittance of Ray Parker Jr., I must request the Dio picture be removed immediately and replaced with a nude photo of Kip Winger.....I'm sorry, but you brought this on yourself....:crazed:

Wolfwood319
02-07-2002, 09:51 AM
I commonly listen to punk/ska bands such as:

Rx Bandits
Five Iron Frenzy
Rancid (Op Ivy if you prefer)
Madcaddies
Insyderz
Bad Religion
MxPx
Reel Big Fish
The Hippos

Bands that people know of that I listen to:

Linkin Park
Adema (that new band who's lead singer is brother to Korn's lead singer)
The Beatles
Metallica
AC/DC
A lot of Metal bands from early 80's (not hair metal!!!)

My guilty pleasure music:

Huey Louis and the News!!! I saw these guys New Years in Vegas just a few months ago. I've loved these guys since their stint on the Back to the Future soundtrack.

jeddah
02-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Nah, the Vtape went out the window when I realised how much effort would be involved ;) just trying to get teh camcorder outta my brothers mitts is like trying to steal 7s nonprobe technology - doomed to failure.

But something in my house is in context - sang by Pete Burns. :confused:

jeddah

El Chuxter
12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Here I go, giving amateurs like Caesar and Slicker a lesson in how to prospect.

(Okay, not really. I thought about this earlier today, and knew there was a thread here about it. I just had no idea how long it'd been since it'd been touched. Some real old-school long-gone posters in here.)

Anyway, I was driving into work, jamming to Steely Dan. And I realized that they are the very definition of "guilty pleasure" music. A weird combination of disco and contemporary jazz, with a touch of rock thrown in, underscoring completely misanthropic and esoteric lyrics that only a nerd could love. But, then again, they've got a song about a guy trying to score with his hot cousin, a song about an old man who's depressed because his date is too young to remember Aretha Franklin (but finally decides to just get drunk and do the deed), and a few dozen songs about people with crippling ennui who finally decide to, again, get drunk and do it.

Oh, and they took their name from a talking... sexual device in William Burroughs novel.

Rogue II
12-01-2006, 03:02 PM
mabudon.....this hurts me as much as it hurts you....but due to your admittance of Ray Parker Jr., I must request the Dio picture be removed immediately and replaced with a nude photo of Kip Winger.....I'm sorry, but you brought this on yourself....:crazed:

Mabs, Slicker can probably help you find the photo for this avatar.