PDA

View Full Version : Episode III to be 3 hours long? Rated..?

BillyJAck
06-14-2002, 12:35 AM
I think to make Episode 3 totally work its got to have a running time or like 3 hours or 3 and half hours. That way it doesn't seems rushed or cramped togather and it all spreads out nicely. I wish Lucas would just go for the big time gore that should be shown. Get a Rated R rating. He has always said he thinks E3 will do the worst at the box office because its going to be "very,very,very dark." as he has said. So why not just go ahead and get an R rating? I mean Raiders of the Lost Ark was rated R and it made like 300 million plus bucks. And its not just made for Kids I would at least hope he goes for a strong PG13 so it can be nice and not soft like baby $......t . Whats your thoughts on these two issues Lenght and Rating he should go for to make it the best story... I say 3 plus hours with an R rating or strong PG13....

BillyJAcK :D

derek
06-14-2002, 02:22 AM
raiders was rated PG.

but i would be all for a 3 hour star was movie. but it ain't gonna be rated R.:)

MasterYoda
06-14-2002, 02:37 AM
I agree 3 hours at the least, but the Rating of R. Don't think it will happen. None of the others are and don't think he will change it now.

BillyJAck
06-14-2002, 02:37 AM
I think it got an R rating when it first came out. MPAA changed it later on i'm sure..

billy

DeadEye
06-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Well, what say we start making PG movies more and more violent? Back in the day, things like nudity and sex were exclusive to R movies....but nowadays practically every PG-13 movie has it too!

sideswipe1984
06-14-2002, 08:56 AM
As much as I would like to see a 3 hour + movie - it just isn't going to happen.

DeadEye
06-14-2002, 10:54 AM
The thing that sucks about Episodes I and II is that Lucas is forced to not let them be long, and yet they're packed to the brim with activity--so in Episode I and II, there is atrocious scene transition! It's just jump, jump, cut, jump, cut from scene to scene! That's the one strength of the OT, if you ask me: the OT has a better and more logical transition between scenes. And since Episode III can't be long and has so much that has to happen, it'll surely be even worse in this aspect. :cry:

womprat
06-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Definitely not rated R. Remember Lucas is about political correctness & demographics, instead of keeping his story credible. Besides he lets his children make executive decisions regarding what will be in these films (teddy bears/Ewoks, Jar Jar, & a very close call with N-Sync).

Something else Lucas is about is $$$$, which overlaps with 'pinhead marketing execs' demographics. Simply put 3 hour long films cannot be shown as many times in a day as 2 hour ones, hence less money. Same goes for R-rated films. Money before the credibility of his films. Let go of your wonderful yet foolish notions.

BillyJAck
06-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Well you all say that Lucas is in it for the money. I'm sure thats a big factor. But I still believe he just wants to tell his story/vision and is still a little bit passionate about it. The film could be three hours long they would just have to send out like 1000-2000 more prints than usual So they can show it more. But I don't see how he can make a smooth slow and personal story and try to tell all that story without it being at least 3 hours long. And Remember Lord of the Rings was a long movie and it still grossed very well. So maybe Lucas will take that into consideration..

billyjack

Rogue II
06-14-2002, 07:50 PM
It will probably be 2-2.5 hours like ATOC, then he'll release the extra 45 min of deleted scenes on the DVD.

Jason B
06-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by womprat
Besides he lets his children make executive decisions regarding what will be in these films (teddy bears/Ewoks...

I doubt it.

I agree on the rating part of it, it should be at least a PG-13, but it will be PG.

I strongly dis-agree with the 3 hour part of it. there's no way that he would set up AOTC like that, when he knew that he would have to screw up E3 to fit everything in. it would be a ****-poor job if he broke the tradition of having the movies be ~2.5~ hours long.

The True Maul
06-14-2002, 08:39 PM
I don't think it's going to happen :Pirate:

DarthBrandon
06-14-2002, 09:10 PM
Nice thought BJ, but I doubt if Lucas is thinking the same as you.
He's the type of guy who sticks to his guns on length, release dates and everything he does, he will not I'm afraid deviate from his plans.

Chewtobacco
06-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by womprat
Money before the credibility of his films. Let go of your wonderful yet foolish notions.

I am perfectly happy with GL making as much money as he can with his films. Although I'd like it to be 3+ hours, you're right, it's just not good business. As much as you might like to think Star Wars is a story to give us all something to talk about, it's really business. And he deserves all the $ we're willing to throw his way.

Americans are capitalists and we get paid what we're worth. We're worth whatever the free market will bear. Stop complaining that GL is foolish to want to be paid what the story is worth.

Remember everyone, it's his story. It's great to want longer light sabre battles and to see anakin fall into some lava pit, but face it, he's going to make it his way. And you're going to have to like it, because you're paying him to make whatever he wants. Quit complaining about his creativity and start appreciating what he's given us.

Jason B
06-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Chewtobacco
Remember everyone, it's his story. It's great to want longer light sabre battles and to see anakin fall into some lava pit, but face it, he's going to make it his way. And you're going to have to like it, because you're paying him to make whatever he wants. Quit complaining about his creativity and start appreciating what he's given us.

VERY well said.

Imperial Monarche
06-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Well, i really don't care how long he plans to make the movie, anything under 2 hours is too short. now, for an R rating would really make me mad. star wars is a, no matter how you guys look at it, a movie for all ages. slapping an R rating would ruin the feel of the movie and make it exclusivly for adults. would the original trilogy be as successful and have a cult following if it was rated R? most of the people that made star wars as successful were people that were kids when it came out and are introducin their kids to star wars now, if it was rated R, you couldn't take ur kids to see it. besides, what could you add to it to make it rated R, not language, sex is definitely out and violence is the only thing, but i think the action scenes so far in star wars is good enough and to have R rated violence just wouldn't seem like star wars. besides, everyone is talking about how more violence would make it credible- come on, when was the last time anyone has gone from planet to planet travelling through hyperspace or had a lightsaber battle. R rating is a bad idea

DeadEye
06-19-2002, 09:01 AM
No poodoo. Of course it is.

The movie will be PG, come out in May 2005, and be between 2 and 3 hours long, no matter what.

Remember, we will see Anakin become Vader, Lucas said we'd witness "armageddon," and Anakin would acquire Vader's suit by killing various people, each of whom wore pieces of the armor, but those are the only givens. Don't forget Lucas is not really bridging the trilogies--the biggest time gap between all the movies is eighteen years between Episodes III and IV.

Jedi Clint
06-19-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
No poodoo. Of course it is.

The movie will be PG, come out in May 2005, and be between 2 and 3 hours long, no matter what.

Remember, we will see Anakin become Vader, Lucas said we'd witness "armageddon," and Anakin would acquire Vader's suit by killing various people, each of whom wore pieces of the armor, but those are the only givens. Don't forget Lucas is not really bridging the trilogies--the biggest time gap between all the movies is eighteen years between Episodes III and IV.

Rick Mc. said that we might see peices of Vader's armor on different characters, and that we would see "armageddon". You can only believe part of what he says. The "armageddon" he was referring to is the final battle of the clone wars at the beginning of E3. That comes from Lucas. The only other spoiler I put stock in is Natalie Portman's comment that her character would be with child (ren) in the next one.

It will be rated PG.

DeadEye
06-19-2002, 08:10 PM
I already said it would be rated PG...but I guess a mod's word has more authority to it! :D

Jedi Clint
06-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I already said it would be rated PG...but I guess a mod's word has more authority to it! :D

I was agreeing with that part of your post. There's no way it will be rated anything but PG.

Watch out for those RM quotes. I can't believe that guy even works on SW! He either intentionally spreads misinformation, or he has absolutely no idea what's happening with the saga. Either way :rolleyes:

DeadEye
06-19-2002, 08:41 PM
I'd go for the misinformation one. After all, he said Boba Fett wouldn't be in Episode 2...:rolleyes:

Imperial Monarche
06-19-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint

Watch out for those RM quotes. I can't believe that guy even works on SW! He either intentionally spreads misinformation, or he has absolutely no idea what's happening with the saga. Either way :rolleyes:

yeah, i was beginning to wonder why he tends to speak for Lucas all the time cuz i was goin through some old star wars insiders and rick claimed that they were going to film all three prequals at the same time. really, if anyone has hurt the filming of star wars, its not Lucas' fault, its McCallum.

scruffziller
06-25-2002, 02:44 PM
how about there being 2 more movies EPS 3 parts one and two?
Naw Just kidding. I think if he does make it longer it will give a richness to the story ad it with detail instead of filler and this way we will see everything that we need to see.

Jonna
06-25-2002, 02:52 PM
I know that I am going against the norm here, but I DON'T want it to be three hours long. I, as I imagine many other movie goers, can just not sit still for that long. I have watched TPM at home maybe 25 to 30 times since it came out and I have not once watched it all the way through in a single sitting. I have this same problem watching the Matrix at home. Now I know that everyone wants as much as they can get considering that this will probably be the last one, but three hours is just to long to hold most audience's attention and movie producers/makers know this. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Darth Spectre
07-02-2002, 08:47 PM
2.5 hrs or 2 hrs, 45 mins would be good. It will have to be rated PG as all the others. Not sure if Raiders was R before the final cut made it to the movies, but we know it was PG when it did hit the theatres first.

Nebulaz
07-03-2002, 06:05 AM
I'd like to see a pg13 @least, this way we can see a true engagement between obi wan and anakin.

Nebulaz
07-03-2002, 06:06 AM
with a more risky rating we could also see the entanglement between anakin and padme after the darth xio jade scene.

Jedi Clint
07-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Super Shadow info is bad for ya. ;)

billfremore
07-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
I know that I am going against the norm here, but I DON'T want it to be three hours long. I, as I imagine many other movie goers, can just not sit still for that long. I have watched TPM at home maybe 25 to 30 times since it came out and I have not once watched it all the way through in a single sitting. I have this same problem watching the Matrix at home. Now I know that everyone wants as much as they can get considering that this will probably be the last one, but three hours is just to long to hold most audience's attention and movie producers/makers know this. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Actually I find while watching AOTC a quick little nap during the love scenes helps to keep you as fresh as a daisy for the whole movie.

Jonna
07-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by billfremore

Actually I find while watching AOTC a quick little nap during the love scenes helps to keep you as fresh as a daisy for the whole movie.

Love scenes!?! What love scenes?;) Ohhhh, you mean those crazy kids talking really goofy. I thought that they were all just chewing gum!

billfremore
07-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Jonna

Love scenes!?! What love scenes?;) Ohhhh, you mean those crazy kids talking really goofy. I thought that they were all just chewing gum!

Yup there's nothing like getting your gum chewed! ;) :D

Beast
07-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Apperantly the question of running time for Episode III has reached the ears of Lucasfilm, and here is the answer right from the horses mouth. Well, Rick McCallum's mouth anyway. :D

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/rick/askjc20020705.html

Q:Any chance we'll see a grand, epic, three-hour-plus Episode III?

A:Right now George is thinking it will be the traditional Star Wars length of two hours.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
07-05-2002, 08:10 PM
some might say thats right from the JACK@** mouth. lol

Nebulaz
07-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Thats the beauty of internet, u can say whatever u want

Beast
07-06-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Nebulaz
Thats the beauty of internet, u can say whatever u want
Well, I wouldn't say that. You can't just slander someone, or post dirty pictures in family forums, or swear on family forums, or other illegal things. There are laws, and with the goverment monitoring the internet even closer now adays, you really need to watch yourself. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nebulaz
07-06-2002, 04:27 AM
I guess that keeps the peace and 'justice' of these forums, good lookin out .