PDA

View Full Version : Sequels I'd like to see made.

RooJay
06-14-2002, 12:40 AM
Anybody have any favorites they'd like to see sequels for? Anyone think a certain movie is in need of a proper sequel? Let's hear 'em!

These are my choices (starting with some in development/ production that I can't wait to see!):

Episode 3 (naturally!)
The Two Towers & Return of the King (The next best thing to Star Wars!)
Spider-Man (of course!)
X-Men 2 (ditto!)
MIB 2 (looks to be good fun! Could Big Willy Weekend be making a comeback?)
Terminator 3 (even if it sucks it should still be cool!)
King Conan (I'm really diggin' the idea of Vin Diesel as Arnie's son! Can't wait to see Schwarzenegger take of a few more heads!)
David Fincheer's Mission: Impossible 3 (if anyone can get it right it'll be him!)
Bad Boys 2 (an admittedly guilty pleasure, but one that I think could end up being a lot of fun!)
Ghostbusters 3 (in spite of what Harold Ramis thinks, I feel it can be done, and certainly should!)
Crouching Tiger (I recall hearing rumblings of a Chow Yun Fat starring prequel after the movie became a success. The story already exists!)
Fifth Element 2 (hearing rumors of "Mr. Shadow" a while back piqued my interest!)
Aliens vs. Predator (anyone who doesn't see the potential in this project is just blind. These properties desperately NEED this film made!)
Galaxy Quest 2 (could maked for a damned fun flick!)
Unbreakable 2 (I'm dying to see what happens next! But only if M. Night takes his time to come up with a story that's at least as good as the first. Otherwise nevermind!)
Sleepy Hollow 2 (I envision Burton's Constable Crane taking on various spirits and monsters in a sort of Colonial era X-Files. No Horsemen necessary!)
Evil Dead 4 (Hail to the King, baby!)
a new Cheech and Chong flick (but only by Tarantino. Maybe Robert Rodriguez.)
a new Pee-Wee Herman flick (it's been too long! It'd have to be Burton too.)
Lost in Space 2 (I know a lot of people will call me delusional, but I actually really liked the first one, and thought it made a promising start for what could've been a great franchise!)
The Princess Bride (but only if William Goldman can come up with a worthy story. I love the original so much that I'm dying for a sequel!)

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 01:44 AM
Those first 5 are on my list too, though I still haven't had a chance to see LOTR yet. :(

"Ghostbusters 4", what happened to #3?

Galaxy Quest 2, now that sounds like fun!

I heard there was a new Pee-Wee TV show in the works and 2 new films!

Cheech & Chong, always funny but would they still have the magic? I'd be willing to drop $8 to find out. :D

Star Trek 10: Nemesis is definitely on my list as well, I can't wait to see what's next.

RooJay
06-14-2002, 02:14 AM
LOL! Sorry about that Ghostbusters 4 thing! I actually had to type all that twice; I got to the end of it and somehow lost it all! I retyped it pretty fast and...anyway! Duly noted.;) :D :crazed:

Eternal Padawan
06-14-2002, 08:23 AM
8ight An insane Brad Pitt is released from prison 10 years later, starts killing based on the se7en cardinal virtues and Morgan Freeman comes out of retirement to stop him.
Alien v Predator Would totally kick start both of these franchises...and yet the people responsible keep saying no (legal "issues"). I guess the idea of lots of money doesn't appeal to them.
The Hobbit Look. If you're gonna do the movies...do them ALL.
Dances With Wolves 2 Dunbar and his wife are still on the run. There's penty of West out there to see. I see this as a better version of Little Big Man.
Last Boyscout 2 What!? They totally set up a sequel at the end and then never did it...c'mon guys.
ShadowMoon etc. The Claremont/Lucas follow up trilogy to Willow.
Quick and the Dead 2: Redemption The Evil railroad barons want to shut down Redemption, so Stone and Crowe have to whup more campy, over the top fun, Western tush.
Harry Stamper Day...cause after he saved the world..there'd be a national..holi.......I'll shut up now.

I am also eagerly awaiting the sequels to Leon, and The Cube.

icatch9
06-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Great movie ideas Roojay. So, any of these for real or just hopefulls?

How about a Forrest Gump 2
Jaws 5 (or any well done Killer Shark Movie, maybe that book "MEG" about the prehistoric shark that is still alive.

BATMAN, BATMAN, and more BATMAN. The las one left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'd hate to see that be the end of an amazing character and world.

Superman! Same thing!

lunchymeatball
06-14-2002, 08:48 AM
Spawn 2
I know this is in the works and I didnt think the first one was too bad. No 2 will be an improvement.
I agree icatch9 more Batman with Burton at the helm. Batman returns was excellent.
Alien vs Predator, bring it on.
On the other side of the coin please, please, please, please DONT make a sandman film. It will only be ruined:cry:

187-Maul
06-14-2002, 10:15 AM
let's see

Batman 5
Spawn 2
Deep Blue Sea 2 (maybe a different animal this time)
Aliens vs Predator
Freddy vs Jason (please take the old jason)
Evil Dead 4
Spider-Man 2

and please no Sleepy Hollow 2 the movie had a good ending and shoulnd't have a sequel, just let Burton make another Horror movie in the same style but don't call it Sleepy Hollow 2

lunchymeatball
06-14-2002, 10:19 AM
A pulp fiction prequel would be cool too.
:D

Darth Shifty
06-14-2002, 10:42 AM
I've heard that Tarantino was supposed to be doing a Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs prequel with Vincent (John Travolta) and Vic (Michael Madsen's Mr. Blonde character) called the Vega Brothers.

lunchymeatball
06-14-2002, 10:46 AM
I didnt know that. Cheers shifty.
Although i was thinking of a travolta/ jackson story
still it would be cool:D

jeddah
06-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Close Encounters of the Third Kind II
Contact
Starship Troopers
Erin Brockovich where she gets on another type of case.

jeddah

master jedi
06-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Those first 5 are on my list too, though I still haven't had a chance to see LOTR yet. :(

You poor, poor man. Why haven't you seen it yet? It's great.

billfremore
06-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Jaws 5 (or any well done Killer Shark Movie, maybe that book "MEG" about the prehistoric shark that is still alive.

Actually Icatch, this book was originally meant to be made into a film but it's currently in development limbo.
the book was kinda cheesy, almost like it was written to be a movie.
hmmm...:rolleyes:

I would love to see the opening scene in that book as a movie, that would be amazing.

But please, no more Jaws movies.
I loved the first one, even the second one was pretty good, the third one wasn't bad (I saw it originally in the theater in 3-D).
But that fourth piece of crap that came out? Please never make me watch that crap again!

The first is still the best and it's been a steep downhill slide since.

RooJay
06-14-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
and please no Sleepy Hollow 2 the movie had a good ending and shoulnd't have a sequel, just let Burton make another Horror movie in the same style but don't call it Sleepy Hollow 2

That's what I was getting at. Except I'd like to see the characters return as well! I thought that movie was the perfect set-up for an out of left feld franchise.

RooJay
06-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Darth Shifty
I've heard that Tarantino was supposed to be doing a Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs prequel with Vincent (John Travolta) and Vic (Michael Madsen's Mr. Blonde character) called the Vega Brothers.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that one! I was hoping Tarantino would do that one next instead of Kill Bill. Of course the more I hear about that movie, the more I'm dying to see it! I'm also really anxious to see how Tarantino's proposed WWII movie would turn out!:D
If the guy could only harness some of the energy he has for talking we'd probably have seen a lot of this stuff already!;)

RooJay
06-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Dare I agree with EP's choice of The Last Boyscout 2? I've always loved the first one and had been hoping for a sequel for a looong time! Has it been too long though?

I also forgot about Starship Troopers 2! I had always thought that they had planned for a sequel, but I'm still waiting!

I must admit that even though I pretty much have nothing but disdain for the Friday the 13th series (aside from the first two, and I still have to be in the mood for them), and even though I only find the Nightmare on Elm Street series to be slightly amusing, I am actually looking forward to seeing Freddy vs. Jason.

SWAFMAN
06-14-2002, 04:26 PM
debt of honor / executive orders

(tom clancy)

jjreason
06-15-2002, 01:55 AM
Im really pepped about the possibilities of another Indiana Jones. Im going as spoiler free as possible for that one.
I know the LOTR movies are done, but I still can't wait to SEE them. Wow, did Fellowship blow me away. Wicked.
MATRIX MATRIX MATRIX!!!! Soon to be coming, apparently the last 2 are being filmed together and will drop less than a year apart? Can that be true??
Any more Marvel Comics stuff that's in the same vein as X-Men and Spider-Man. I can't wait to see HULK next year, and Ive even turned the corner on Daredevil after seeing Jennifer Garner as Elektra. Like, whoa.

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
debt of honor / executive orders

(tom clancy)

I wonder how they're going to make Ben Affleck POTUS. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't forget Cardinal of the Kremlin. Or (snicker) Red Storm Rising, which I saw with a new cover touting it as a Jack Ryan novel the other day in the book store. THAT raised my eyebrows. Did he go back and write Ryan into the novel or is the publishing company shamelessly lying to sell more copies?

I'd really like to see them adapt Without Remorse, the John Clark novel. But who would get to play him? Leiv Shreiber or Willem Dafoe? ;)

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 03:48 AM
Ghostbusters 3, 4, maybe you could even say 5 since there were 2 authentic cartoon sequels. ;)

Originally posted by master jedi
*referring to JT not seeing LOTR yet*

You poor, poor man. Why haven't you seen it yet? It's great. Bad timing, I wanted to see it on the big screen, but I was too busy when it came out to see it then. When it appeared at the Cinerama dome recently, I missed it by one day! If it makes it to DVD before I find a screen suitable to play it, I guess I'll just watch it on DVD, but I'd prefer to see it in the theaters.

Of course, this is the same guy who STILL hasn't seen Harry Potter yet. :eek: :D

I know a film I'd still like to see a sequel to:
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension - man, that movie deserves such a good sequel.

Others:
- Big Trouble in Little China
- Hudson Hawk (yeah, I know I'm the only one ;))
- Maverick

I think Last Boyscout 2 would be too late simply because the characters would have to change with the times so much, but I'd buy a ticket to find out. :D

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 03:55 AM
I'd watch a sequel to Hudson Hawk. That movie is completely underrated.

"Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar.
You'd be better off than you are.
You could be swingin' on a star..."

SWAFMAN
06-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

I wonder how they're going to make Ben Affleck POTUS. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't forget Cardinal of the Kremlin. Or (snicker) Red Storm Rising, which I saw with a new cover touting it as a Jack Ryan novel the other day in the book store. THAT raised my eyebrows. Did he go back and write Ryan into the novel or is the publishing company shamelessly lying to sell more copies?

I'd really like to see them adapt Without Remorse, the John Clark novel. But who would get to play him? Leiv Shreiber or Willem Dafoe? ;)

I addressed some of your points in an earlier post here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=99126#post99126). If they make the heretofore unmade novels into films, in storyline chronological order, and space them about two years apart, only then could Affleck have a chance of pulling off the POTUS role age-wise (even then, he'd need some makeup to look a few years older).

The case of who plays Clark is also tough. Especially for 'Remorse." Schreiber's age in 'Fears" can't be reconciled with his character's visit to Ryan's dad in 'Remorse," when Ryan was younger. If they made the book into a movie, and used Schrieber, they'd just have to write out the Ryan visit scene. But still how do you justify Schrieber being old enough to have served in Viet Nam? Either they just do it, and ignore the glaring time/age problem, or they pull some another fast-one a-la-'Fears,' and change Schrieber/Clark's "war" from 'Nam to Desert Storm or Enduring Freedom.

RooJay
06-16-2002, 05:55 PM
I can't believe it! How did I miss Indy 4?!! I actually listed it when I first started writing this thread, but like I said I lost everything and had to start over! Somehow I missed the one I'm looking forward to the most!:sur:

Ditto on Big Trouble in Little China (Oh, how I have longed for a sequel for that one!), Buckaroo Banzai (another one of my absolute favorites! TOTALLY in need of a sequel! If I'm not mistaken...we were more or less promised one!), and I had even considered putting Maverick on my list, but had assumed too much time had maybe passed for that one as well (if it gets made, I'll be there though!).

LTBasker
06-16-2002, 06:49 PM
I'd like to see:
Lost in Space 2 (C'mon, I want to see Robbie the Robot making an appearance like he did on the series)
Ghost Busters 3
Starship Troopers 2 (The series was pretty cool, it really needs a sequel)
More Tim Burton Batman movies (They really need a correct Bane and Riddler along with bringing in the Scarecrow, Clayface, and Scarface) - Heck, Burton oughta make his own Batman 3 and 4 and just let Batman Forever and Batman & Robin rest in their own little movie world.
Spider-Man (I think 2&3 have been confirmed, although from an interview of Dunst because Spider-Man was released, she leaked some info that they were planning on using two villians instead of just one)

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 07:04 PM
EP, glad to hear I'm not the ONLY one who likes Hudson Hawk. :D "What's 'nintendo'?"

Originally posted by RooJay
Ditto on Big Trouble in Little China (Oh, how I have longed for a sequel for that one!), Buckaroo Banzai (another one of my absolute favorites! TOTALLY in need of a sequel! If I'm not mistaken...we were more or less promised one!), and I had even considered putting Maverick on my list, but had assumed too much time had maybe passed for that one as well (if it gets made, I'll be there though!). Right on! Buckaroo Banzai did indeed promise a sequel at the end "Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League", but it never got made. (Of course, Dr Detroit also made a similar promise that never happened, but that was just mostly a gag ;).) According to IMDB, that script was turned into Big Trouble in Little China! (There is support from this, since the director of Buckaroo Banzai is also the writer of BTiLC.) There was apparently a Buckaroo Banzai TV series in the works last year, but it's supposedly in development limbo along with the Batman prequel series.

Part of what worked for me on Maverick was that it was based off a 35-year-old television show yet it still worked (unlike the Wild Wild West film), so I think a sequel could still have life to it that way.

Oh, and I heard that Ghostbusters 3 actually had a shooting script ready and they were very close to production with Dan Akroyd's full backing and support (in fact, I heard he was the driving force on this) but it got shut down.

RooJay
06-16-2002, 11:53 PM
A real shame about Wild Wild West. It had lots of promise! It's too bad the producer is a complete and total idiot! If it had actually ended up starring George Clooney as James West (don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith, but he just was't at all the right guy for the role.), with a script more in line with the original series, I really think it could've been as big a hit as the studio was hoping. Or at least it would've been a bit more watchable!

Another proposed sequel I was really hoping would get made was the Strange Brew sequel, Home Brew! How fun would that have been?!;)

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Oh man, Clooney would have been nearly PERFECT in that role!!! And the Clooney/Kevin Kline relationship probably would have been spot on for James West/Artimus Gordon; what is wrong with Warner Brothers?!? Will Smith was good in MIB, and Barry Sonnenfeld made both films, but that isn't a good reason to cast him as West. I wonder is WB pulled Clooney from WWW because of his poor showing in Batman & Robin (which wasn't his fault really, just more bad WB decisions). What a waste.

I heard that Home Brew actually had a couple shooting days before it got the axe, that one had such a good window of opportunity to come out like last year.

scruffziller
06-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Another Highlander I heard is being made and hope it does. I would hope to see "inbetweequel" productions of the SW universe done either animation or CGI. Plus maybe spin offs and/or of more movie/episodes ofDBZ.

2-1B
06-18-2002, 03:26 AM
Another proposed sequel I was really hoping would get made was the Strange Brew sequel, Home Brew! How fun would that have been?!;)

No thanks! :D I'll bet that Slapshot 2 was a better idea than Home Brew. :rolleyes:

Hey, isn't there a thread in which someone (recently) suggested a sequel to The Professional with Mathilda as an adult assassin? I thought that was in this thread, but I don't see it.
Anyway, since it fits the thread subject I'll just say I think "Mathilda: The Professional" would be a bad idea. I understand why some people would want to see it (myself included ;) ), since Natalie was pretty cool but let's admit that Jean Reno is at least half of the reason for the success of that movie (due credit to Oldman as well :happy: ). Sure, bring back Aiello to offer her some jobs, but WHY ? ? ?
I think the idea of her going into the "cleaning" profession runs perpendicular to the whole point of her relationship with Leon in the first movie. Yes, she learns the business but she found a home in that school and planted Leon's plant. She's establishing roots, why reverse the character and send her back to hell?
I dunno, unless you want her story to turn tragic again, but I don't! :(

edit: My apologies for the dis to Eternal Padawan, I rescanned the thread and noticed you want to see the sequel to Leon. But I swear I read another post about Natalie as a cleaner in another thread (maybe that one was by you too? :D ).

That being said, I am interested in what your motivations would be for a sequel to it, and how you might like to see the story play out. There can only be 2 returning characters (right? Oldman and Reno die, who else is there other than Aiello and Portman?), so have at it! :)

Eternal Padawan
06-18-2002, 08:05 AM
I have no motivations or ideas for the sequel. Natalie Portman has already signed on to do a sequel with Luc Besson. That's why I said I was "eagerly awaiting" the sequel. I have every confidence that Besson will come up with a story worthy of the original. I'm pretty sure it won't be as cut and dried as "Mathilda kills for Aiello" They are also making a sequel to the vastly underrated The Cube called HyperCube.

DeadEye
06-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Aliens vs. Predator, Predator 3, and Alien 5. Nuff said.

scruffziller
06-18-2002, 07:13 PM
I can't wait till Batman Beyond the real-action movie comes out. I would also like to see them do a Twister sequel but I heard that was scratched. I would like them to do another Captain America in which I have heard rumors about.

LTBasker
06-18-2002, 07:29 PM
Episode VII, Episode VIII, and Episode IX. :D

Eternal Padawan
06-19-2002, 08:10 AM
Innerspace was a clever idea for a movie that kind of set up a sequel at the end that never panned out.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-19-2002, 09:47 AM
Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer

Not necessarily a sequel of either, I'd just like to see another John Cusack-Savage Steve Holland movie.

JediTricks
06-20-2002, 12:58 AM
What MC said!!!

saladin
06-20-2002, 04:02 AM
Evil Dead 4
Spawn 2
Spiderman
X-men
Undercover Brother 2
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy( Havn't been made yet, but would be awsome)
I wish a Jay and S.Bob movie but that won't happen

Eternal Padawan
06-20-2002, 08:10 AM
Also in the "Haven't been made yet, but would be awesome" dept.

The Chronicles of Narnia. They are working on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Naturally, it would be nice to see all seven. And a pox on whatever publishing buffoon decided to renumber the entire series chronologically.

The Xanth books. The pun-tastic world of Xanth come to life? Awesome.

The St. Germaine novels. The GOOD vampire series. (Why is that Anne Rice tripe getting made into movies and this excellent series sits languishing on shelves?) Not only are these excellent vampire books, they are hyper accurate history books as well, since St Germaine has been a vampire since before the Egyptian era and Yarbro does exhaustive research into whatever era she sets the book in. Whether it's Nero's Rome or 17th century Paris. 12th century China or Russia before the start of WWII, these books are meticulous in their recreation of history, with a 3000+ year old vampire thrown in.

The Ender books. I read somewhere they had been toying with casting Jake Lloyd as Ender. Whether that's true or not, these are definitely worth making. Especially Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. They could film them simultaneously, since the stories cross over so much.

Bone. Live action with CGI Bone, Phoney, and Smiley Bone. I heard Jeff Smith pulled the plug on a fully animated one when the studios tried to take it too far from his original vision (Britney Spears songs were involved). Good for him. But I still want to see this on the big screen. Far too many people are missing out on this wonderful adventure. "Stupid, stupid rat creatures!"

RooJay
06-21-2002, 10:56 PM
Oh man, Clooney would have been nearly PERFECT in that role!!! And the Clooney/Kevin Kline relationship probably would have been spot on for James West/Artimus Gordon; what is wrong with Warner Brothers?!? Will Smith was good in MIB, and Barry Sonnenfeld made both films, but that isn't a good reason to cast him as West. I wonder is WB pulled Clooney from WWW because of his poor showing in Batman & Robin (which wasn't his fault really, just more bad WB decisions). What a waste.

Agreed on all points. Strange ain't it?;)

RooJay
06-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Another Highlander I heard is being made and hope it does.

I was so very disappointed with the last couple of Highlander sequels. I think I'd rather wait and see the original re-made with an eye towards a reborn franchise (meaning, that I'm hoping someone will come along and retell the story so as to make more sense sequentially!).

I would hope to see "inbetweequel" productions of the SW universe done either animation or CGI.

I too have often thought this would be a great idea. Call me crazy, but I think it could also give other creators a great shot at playing aroung in Uncle George's universe. The kind of shot I think we all want to see Lucas allow!

Plus maybe spin offs and/or of more movie/episodes ofDBZ.

Not being a Dragonball fan (tried to watch it once, I honestly tried to give it a shot, but all I saw was two odd looking characters screaming at each other with speed lines flying all about for a good five or ten minutes straight! It gave me a headache.) I really don't care to see anymore DBZ stuff, but...TO EACH HIS OWN! ;) I wish you luck scruffziller!

RooJay
06-21-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I can't wait till Batman Beyond the real-action movie comes out.

I never got into the Batman Beyond series (I thought it was sacrilege when I first heard of it, but it seems to have turned out quite good from what I've heard since it premiered!), but I too am very interested in seeing a live action movie based on the concept.

RooJay
06-21-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Also in the "Haven't been made yet, but would be awesome" dept.

The Chronicles of Narnia. They are working on The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Naturally, it would be nice to see all seven. And a pox on whatever publishing buffoon decided to renumber the entire series chronologically.

I'm down wit' dat! I was quite happy when I heard these were in development!

The Xanth books. The pun-tastic world of Xanth come to life? Awesome.

The St. Germaine novels. The GOOD vampire series. (Why is that Anne Rice tripe getting made into movies and this excellent series sits languishing on shelves?) Not only are these excellent vampire books, they are hyper accurate history books as well, since St Germaine has been a vampire since before the Egyptian era and Yarbro does exhaustive research into whatever era she sets the book in. Whether it's Nero's Rome or 17th century Paris. 12th century China or Russia before the start of WWII, these books are meticulous in their recreation of history, with a 3000+ year old vampire thrown in.

The Ender books. I read somewhere they had been toying with casting Jake Lloyd as Ender. Whether that's true or not, these are definitely worth making. Especially Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. They could film them simultaneously, since the stories cross over so much.[/B][/QUOTE]

Never even heard of either of these (does that mean I'm not as literate as I'd thought?). I don't know what do think about the "Xanth series" or the "Ender series", but from what you've told us about the St. Germaine series I think I'd like to see some films! Maybe I should check out the books?

Bone. Live action with CGI Bone, Phoney, and Smiley Bone. I heard Jeff Smith pulled the plug on a fully animated one when the studios tried to take it too far from his original vision (Britney Spears songs were involved). Good for him. But I still want to see this on the big screen. Far too many people are missing out on this wonderful adventure. "Stupid, stupid rat creatures!"

Oh please, let this happen!

RooJay
06-21-2002, 11:26 PM
I also forgot about how much I've been hoping for Mad Max 4!!! Is there actually anyone out there who doesn't want to see it?

P.s. Sorry about all these posts being lumped together. Problems at home have kept me away from the computer this past week. I'm just trying to get caught up a bit. Hope nobody minds!

AT-AT Man
06-22-2002, 12:35 AM
don't know if this should be here, but while watching Minority Report, a preview for a new movie about Hanibal Lector Popped up. i think it is called like the red dragon or something, it s a prequal i think. it looks awesome. any word on this

SWAFMAN
06-22-2002, 01:14 PM
It's based on the Thomas Harris book, and yes, it is a prequel to Silence of the Lambs.

RooJay
06-22-2002, 08:57 PM
It's not only a prequel and based on a book, it's also a remake! Looks pretty cool even though I was a bit disappointed by Hannibal. Hopefully, this one will be more like Silence of the Lambs!

2-1B
06-23-2002, 01:16 AM
Well, it can't possibly be worse than Manhunter, so it has that going for it. ;)

They got Lambs scribe Ted Tally to write Red Dragon, he was not involved with Hannibal. Hmm, I knew about the casting of Ed Norton as Will Graham and Ralph Fiennes as Dolarhyde. However, the casting of Harvey Keitel as Jack Crawford (played by Scott Glenn in Lambs) surprised me when I found out this week. I don't mean that necessarily in a bad way, it was just surprising . . . the two actors strike me as very different. :)

jjreason
06-23-2002, 08:38 AM
I thought Manhunter was pretty damned scary m'self. This is a GREAT book, and deserves a new treatment. Tally did so well getting everything from the Lambs book into the movie, that Red Dragon SHOULD be awesome as well. Let's hope so because Hannibal was absolutely rotten, and I don't want that series going out like that.

Eternal Padawan
06-25-2002, 08:46 AM
RooJay, the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony are about the magical world of Xanth (which looks suspiciously like Florida) where everyone has a magic ability. Some abilities are useless (making polka dots appear on the wall) while some are very powerful (controlling the weather). The first book follows a young man named Bink, who is going to be banished because he doesn't have a power. There have been 25 or more books in the series with no signs of slowing.
The Ender series by Orson Scott Card is about a battle school in space that was created to train the brightest young children of the future to prepare for an invasion of aliens who have attacked Earth twice already. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is the best of the best at battle school. After the first novel, Ender's Game, there was a trilogy that took place 3000 years later. Later, Card went back and wrote Ender's Shadow about another young boy at battle school called Bean. It' pretty much the same story as Ender's Game but told from Bean's perspective. Card is now writing follow up stories to Shadow starting with Shadow of the Hegemon and continuing with Shadow of Death, and Shadow of the Giant (the latter two haven't been released yet).

stonecold
06-25-2002, 06:55 PM
I would like:

Rocketeer II (to pick up from where he left off. He spent most of the first movie just experimenting with the new gimmick)
Galaxy Quest II (I agree with the earlier post about this)
Batman V (against the trio of Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, and Clayface)
Superman V
Mad Max IV (he ended "Thunderdome" by just being stranded, let's see where he ended up at)
Excalibur II (where did Arthur go after being healed at Avalon from his mortal wounds???)

JediTricks
06-26-2002, 03:28 AM
While I really liked The Rocketeer, I dunno if a sequel would work. One thing I've always really enjoyed about that one was how the story could have taken place in our world and we never knew about it, but I think the more added onto where we left off, the less likely that would be. Again though, I'd be there if the chance was taken - especially if there was more of Jennifer Connelly... yowsa!

Originally posted by master jedi
(referring to my not seeing LOTR)

You poor, poor man. Why haven't you seen it yet? It's great. Well, I finally caught it this evening in a theater. This film needs a damn intermission, and there's a spot right in the middle where it'd be perfect. If I had 10 minutes in the middle to stretch my legs and mull over what I had just seen, it would have been a much better movie-going experieince. As it is, I liked it a lot, and I really enjoyed seeing so much "real" stuff used instead of massive CG - this film was like a polar opposite of AOTC, the focus was always on the characters and how they dealt with situations, the bulk of the effects were real and felt that way, and all the details were poured into the focus rather than crowding a scene with too much clutter and not enough focus.

Beast
06-26-2002, 03:33 AM
Well, I finally caught it this evening in a theater. This film needs a damn intermission, and there's a spot right in the middle where it'd be perfect. If I had 10 minutes in the middle to stretch my legs and mull over what I had just seen, it would have been a much better movie-going experieince.
Translation: "The film needs a damn intermission, because I had a bladder buster sized soda while I was watching the first hour and a half, and had to use the restroom, really really bad." ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2002, 07:36 AM
Thats funny JJB. :D It's a sign a movie is really good if you'd rather pee yourself than miss any of it.

stonecold, did I miss something? Arthur DIED at the end of Excalibur. Probably because Boorman based his movie on the book "Le Morte D'Arthur" by Thomas Mallory which translates into the Death of King Arthur.

That's like saying I want to see Braveheart II where William Wallace is nursed back to health to kick more butt or Gladiator II where Maximus is healed so he can fight in the arena to raise money for an orphanage or something. All great legends have an ending.

anarky
06-26-2002, 12:11 PM
howard the duck 2!!!

it's easier to say what movies don't need no stinkin' sequels

Eternal Padawan
06-26-2002, 07:34 PM
anarky, the cut of your jib is familiar.

And you have Sly Wiley as your avatar.

Are you an undercover Decepticon by any chance?

JediTricks
06-27-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Translation: "The film needs a damn intermission, because I had a bladder buster sized soda while I was watching the first hour and a half, and had to use the restroom, really really bad." ;) :DAbsolutely, positively, 100% dead wrong. :D Not only did I not have to take a leak at any time during that film, but I didn't even go to the bathroom for another 3 hours after the film ended.

I honestly feel this film could benefit from a short time to just sit back and take in all that has flashed before our eyes, especially since from that midpoint on, there is so much more to take in. The first half of the film is such a big building and changing process that it seems a shame that everything that comes in the second half of the film almost overshadows it.

RooJay
06-28-2002, 12:03 AM
While I really liked The Rocketeer, I dunno if a sequel would work. One thing I've always really enjoyed about that one was how the story could have taken place in our world and we never knew about it, but I think the more added onto where we left off, the less likely that would be. Again though, I'd be there if the chance was taken - especially if there was more of Jennifer Connelly... yowsa!

I'm with ya! Plus, I really think it'd be kind of important for Dave Stevens (the creator of the Rocketeer for those not familiar) to come up with some more source material first! It's been AGES since the last issue of the comic! All that guy seems to do nowadays is sit around at conventions and sell ages old lithographs!

Well, I finally caught it this evening in a theater. This film needs a damn intermission, and there's a spot right in the middle where it'd be perfect. If I had 10 minutes in the middle to stretch my legs and mull over what I had just seen, it would have been a much better movie-going experieince. As it is, I liked it a lot, and I really enjoyed seeing so much "real" stuff used instead of massive CG - this film was like a polar opposite of AOTC, the focus was always on the characters and how they dealt with situations, the bulk of the effects were real and felt that way, and all the details were poured into the focus rather than crowding a scene with too much clutter and not enough focus. [/B]

FOR REAL! I prefer to watch my movies all the way through non-stop, but I really like the idea of an intermission for movies like that. The Lord of the Rings trilogy could only benefit from a brief intermission to let it all soak in. Good idea!

Beast
06-28-2002, 12:11 AM
Well, when August rolls around you can stop the DVD halfway thru and reflect on the first half of the film. And in November, since they are splitting the Extended cut across 2 discs, they will be producing a small intermission for the film. Similar to the one that was made for the Pearl Harbor 4-disc set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-28-2002, 12:23 AM
JJB jumped from LOTR to Pearl Harbor in the same sentence. How does THAT happen? :D :crazed:

Sequels . . . hmm, I'd like the cast of Best in Show to give it another go. 90 minutes of that movie plus a half hour of deleted scenes just isn't enough. I would watch that movie for 3 hours if I could . . . actually, I guess I have in a way by viewing it twice in the same day. :happy:

JediTricks
06-28-2002, 07:06 PM
RooJay, that sucks about the Rocketeer's creator not really moving forward with the concept. Sometimes I think conventions are more a curse than a joy.

When I saw the rerelease of Lawrence of Arabia in a theater about 12 years ago, the film was really long but it had an intermission. This was the first film I had seen in a theater with that and the intermission turned what could have felt like a big chore into a real joy - I think most movies don't need that, but movies as long and as rich as LoA and LOTR definitely benefit from a break.

JJB, it's just not the same. I think seeing a movie in a theater should be the first way to see a good film, part of that is being completely at the director's control - if I wanna go to the bathroom, it will have to cost me my time instead of messing with a film's pacing. Once I've already seen it, future viewings are entirely at my control, but none of them will ever be that first time again - that's the critical point, the first impression.

I heard Pearl Harbor was deserving of a no-disc set. :D

RooJay
06-28-2002, 07:32 PM
RooJay, that sucks about the Rocketeer's creator not really moving forward with the concept. Sometimes I think conventions are more a curse than a joy.

It's worse than that! He doesn't seem to be moving along with anything! If you've seen his work then you'll realize how much of a shame that is. Now, I'm getting off topic though...

2-1B
07-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Jerry Maguire 2 :p

I just caught an SNL rerun again with Renee Zellweger in which Horatio Sanz plays the older Jonathan Lipnicki. :D

Beast
07-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Jerry Maguire 2 :p
I just caught an SNL rerun again with Renee Zellweger in which Horatio Sanz plays the older Jonathan Lipnicki. :D
I just was watching that too, Caesar. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Someone of what he was saying made me laugh insanely. I would repost some of them here, but they are pretty blue. Especially the "rainy season" one. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-04-2002, 01:30 AM
The Mask 2.

2-1B
07-04-2002, 01:36 AM
Binksy, it was a nice treat because I forgot all about that sketch - I left it on after the Daily Show because I knew Gwen Stefani would be appearing on SNL. :kiss:

Jacen Solo
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Evil dead 4
Episode 3
Ghostbusters 3
Matrix 2-3
LOTR 2-3
Hackers 2
Lost Souls 2
Evolution 2
The X-Files 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19, need I say more.
Playing God 2

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 02:39 AM
Here's some sequels I would like to see.

Episode 3
The Two Towers & Return of the King
Spider-Man
X-Men 2
Terminator 3
New Conan Movie
MI3
Lost in Space 2

RooJay
08-12-2002, 11:08 AM
You're in luck then! All the sequels you listed are being made (except for Lost in Space 2)! Now are there any that aren't that you would like to see made?;)

Exhaust Port
08-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Really brandon, Lost in Space 2? May I ask why?

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Really brandon, Lost in Space 2? May I ask why?

Because I liked the first one Exhaust Port, and I think they can do another one as long as they have a good script.

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Now are there any that aren't that you would like to see made?

Yes as a matter of fact, I would like to see Meet The Parents 2,
Lethal Weapon 5, Lord Of Illusions 2, Night Breed 2, Die Hard 4, and another Friday movie.:D I just didn't want a long list, and believe me these are only the tip of the iceberg for sequels I'd like made.

RooJay
08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Meet the Parents 2 (aka: Meet the Fockers) and the third Friday (tentatively titled Friday After Next) movie are both in pre-production now!

DarthBrandon
08-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Meet the Parents 2 (aka: Meet the Fockers) and the third Friday (tentatively titled Friday After Next) movie are both in pre-production now!

Really? That's excellent!, Meet The Fockers, I can't wait.
The Friday series is one of my favorites; dam things are looking up more and more each day. :D

Do you know how long before they are released?

RooJay
08-12-2002, 07:59 PM
I don't think either have scheduled release dates yet, but both are currently in development.

TheFrankEinstein
08-12-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm a huge fan of Bruce Willis's action work, but anyone holding out for a Last Boyscout 2/Die Hard 4/Hudson Hawk 2 (WHY!!!) or whatever are cruising for disappointment. It seems our boy Bruce is an artiste now, and is far too big to star in action movies (or with kids!), but I guess that's the prerogative of anyone with Hart's War's box-office under his belt :rolleyes:

And for a while, they were saying a Mad Max 4 wouldn't involve Mel Gibson. Anyone heard anything about this? It'd be a shame, but I'll take what post-apocalyptic I can get, Max or no. Maybe they can call it Angry Andy or Offended Oscar and put Ben Affleck in the starring role (well he's in everything else!).

It's been said, but Evil Dead 4. A fellow on an Evil Dead forum I regular suggested a post-apocalyptic setting with Ash as sort of a wandering loner a la Clint Eastwood's Dollars character or a samurai of feudal Japan. Sounds GREAT to me, and fitting with Raimi's apparent desire to take the series in a new direction with each installment.

Gosh, I really can't think of anything else. Nightmare Before Christmas 2? Nightmare After Christmas? (okay, I'll leave the naming of sequels up to you guys). Beetlejuice! Heck, I'll watch a sequel to anything Tim Burton (except Mars Attacks :dead: )

OH, and, of course, The Empire Thumbs Back, The Thumb Strikes Back, whatever you want to call it. And as Basker said, Episodes VII, VIII and IX.

edit - I'd like to see a competent Robocop sequel, I forgot that. And I notice nobody said "Escape From L.A.", but apparently you're getting it anyway (with Kurt Russell back as the voice of Snake in this apparent "anime" sequel).

jonboy
08-12-2002, 10:47 PM
The new Matrix sequals. I saw the previews for them at the beginning of The Time Machine and they BLEW ME AWAY!!! I can hardly wait. I am also pretty excited about Star Trek:Nemesis. I have seen the preview for this also and it MAY be the best of the series. T3 may be really cool if it is done right. I wish upon wishes that they would do an Aliens vs Predator movie. That would make my year!!! I have heard rumors of Aliens 5. Have to see if they pan out though.

Beast
08-12-2002, 11:41 PM
Jonboy, Alien vs. Predator is already in production. Paul Anderson who did Resident Evil will be making it after RE2. You can read his comments about the project at the following link:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?this_cat=Movies&obj_id=35667&aff_id=0

And Alien 5 is currently undergoing some script re-writes because they weren't happy with the current script. Ridley Scott was intrested in directing, but due to the delays may have passed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jonboy
08-13-2002, 06:47 AM
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I just hope that it is not ruined when it makes it to film.

TheFrankEinstein
08-13-2002, 09:05 AM
Speaking of The Matrix sequels, does anyone else think those silver bad guys look like John Travolta's character from Battlefield Earth?

Eternal Padawan
08-14-2002, 08:13 AM
Tinfoil dredlocks. Eugh. I can't figure out if those are baddies IN the Matrix or if they are creatures designed to hunt them in the real world. If they're in the Matrix, they aren't too subtle like the Agent Smiths. Oh well, either way I'm excited to see the next to movies. What I really want to see though, is at the end of the third movie AFTER the credits have rolled is a shot of a mental hospital hallway where the camera wheels up to a window and you can see Mr. Andersen wrapped in a straightjacket in a padded cell screaming "I'm the one! I'm the ONE!!" :evil:

ROLLO!

RooJay
08-14-2002, 07:09 PM
When I started this thread, I was hoping people would post the movies that they have wanted to see sequels made for and not just state how much they can't wait to see whichever sequels we already know are being made. I hope we can start talking more about sequels that aren't currently in production that we'd like to see someday make it to theaters.

For TheFrankEinstein: Mel has recently been quoted as saying that he'd more or less love (I'm paraphrasing) to do the next Mad Max movie, and that he really wants to work with his Mad Max director again! There is still hope!

TylerD
08-16-2002, 03:36 PM
I always wanted them to make a Super Mario Brothers 2. In the first movie, they definitely left the door open for a sequel, but it just never happened.

RooJay
08-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Maybe I should start a thread on sequels you hope never get made!;)

evenflow
08-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Spaceballs
He-Man