PDA

View Full Version : Transformers RID & Armada

JediTricks
06-14-2002, 02:34 AM
I finally found Scourge tonight and he's really cool even without the electronics, but apparently, they all have super-strong springs for the missiles and the auto-transforming base. On mine, the base has already begun to visably stress where the springs push against it and I'm concerned of breakage. Has anybody had this? Has anybody removed those springs or found a way to fix this?

Also, the Storm Jet figure is becoming almost legendary, what is it with this double-repaint?

Finally, anybody else think it's weird that Hasbro painted Supreme Optimus Primal's behind pink? He's not a baboon, why make such an obvious change to the OPrimal design?

Eternal Padawan
06-14-2002, 08:15 AM
I've yet to see the Scourgemeister. Is he shipping in his own case or are they mixing him in with OP and UM? If they are mixing cases, then I'll never see him because my TRU has about 20 of each languishing on the shelves. :mad:

The latest selection of RIDs has not impressed me. I skipped on the two latest boxed vehicle assortments. I almost picked up an Obsidian, but decided not to at the last minute. I still might get him, but I think Scourge is going to be my last Transformer Purchase for awhile. I'm getting into Marvel:Legends now... (I'm so fickle... :p)

sideswipe1984
06-14-2002, 11:56 AM
I picked Scourge up two weeks ago myself. Incredible figure. It blows Laser Prime out of the water, IMO. On a different note, I notice that the deluxe cars seem to be drying up all over the place.

Lone Jedi
06-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Is Scourge the Black truck? I don't really follow RID (it gets too confusing when they reuse the old Gen 1 names). I think I've only seen the mini-version of him.

chewie
06-14-2002, 11:39 PM
Jeditricks

For your Scourge problem. I have the toy as well, but have not noticed the springs causing structural damage (yet).

Storm Jet is "hot" and "rare" and all the other collector geek terms you can think of, because Hasbro short-packed the toy to 1 per case. The toy also bears a striking resemblance in its color scheme to the 1985 macross/robotech recolor Jetfire Transformer. So its doubly in demand, even though this toy mold has been recolored so many times now.

Very soon, Storm Jet will appear in Japan in much greater numbers, and while it will still cost you more to get the toy imported than buying it at a local store. It will probably be much cheaper than trying to buy Storm Jet off of ebay.

I managed to find one whole Storm Jet in several trips to toy stores. Bought it as well. It is indeed a very rare RiD figure, and its likely to remain that way. The japanese release of it should bring prices/demand down a lot.

For the last round of "Battle of the Sparks" Beast Machines toys, Supreme Primal (now Air Attack Primal) was originally going to come out over a year ago, but only is now seeing the light of day. It got recolored/remolded slightly. One of the additions being a pink posterior. Why was this done? A Hasbro whim apparently. I saw pictures of the original version and did not see any pink backside. The original version had no pink on it actually. The torso was mainly silver-ish (not brown), the hands were dark grey, not pink, and there were a few paint details missing on the original that are on the actual release. Such as the white "tech" lines on the forearms.

Is Scourge the Black truck? I don't really follow RID (it gets too confusing when they reuse the old Gen 1 names). I think I've only seen the mini-version of him.

Yup. And yeah, the reuse of the old G1 names does happen quite frequently. And its only going to happen more and more with the upcoming Armada toys. Hardly any of the larger toys have original/new names

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I've yet to see the Scourgemeister. Is he shipping in his own case or are they mixing him in with OP and UM? If they are mixing cases, then I'll never see him because my TRU has about 20 of each languishing on the shelves. :mad:

The latest selection of RIDs has not impressed me. I skipped on the two latest boxed vehicle assortments. I almost picked up an Obsidian, but decided not to at the last minute. I still might get him, but I think Scourge is going to be my last Transformer Purchase for awhile. I'm getting into Marvel:Legends now... (I'm so fickle... :p) I believe Scourge is in solid cases, there's no way this TRU would have half a dozen of 'em at once, like when I found him. Also, I've noticed that some TRUs around here are taking down the extra SW large-island end-walls and replacing them with RID, so keep your eyes peeled in 2 locations now (man I hate TRU's current layouts, the x-islands).

I picked up the Laser Rods 2pack, but I've sorta been drifting out too. I got all the Spy Changers, and I picked up the Ruination team on a big Target sale, but I already had the japanese versions of the super-ized Autobot brothers and the rest are repaints from Beast Machines which I already have. Though to be fair to Storm Jet, Obsidian, Mirage, and er... the fat SR-71 in the 3pack, they look like really good repaints.

Marvel Legends is pretty cool, though I have only picked up Cap and gold Iron Man so far, but I don't think the other 2 will get my next toy dollars any time soon, even with the less-than-stellar Transformers Armada figures coming within 60 days.

Lone Jedi, Scourge is the black pickup truck with the chrome tanker trailer. He's a repaint of the G2 Laser Optimus Prime.

Chewie, thanks for letting me know about those springs, I may have to take mine back IF - and only if - I can ever find a replacement.

I was hoping there would at least be a remold on Storm Jet, but they didn't even swap Jetstorm's rotatable wings so the proper-sweep would sit up rather than down as it currently does. Hasbro is really creating a frenzy with RID collectors over this one.

I also saw pics of Supreme Primal a while back on www.bwtf.com and don't remember any monkey-hind there either, what a strange addition. I'll get Air Attack Primal, but I have to wonder about this change forever... until someone at Hasbro answers the question. ;)

BTW, I've heard that Hasbro reuses G1 names for new characters because they already own the trademarks on them so it's cheaper and easier for them. Weird way to go IMO.

Darth Nihilus
06-15-2002, 02:23 PM
At one of my local stores a Storm Jet warmed the pegs for two weeks before I found out he was short-packed and I bought him. I hadn't worried about it before that because I had gone off the RiD after a good initial showing. The problem is that here in Oz there just seems to be no commitment to this line. I've never even been able to find Sky-Bite. The only things available are the Super Prime, Magnus and Megatron/Galvatron. The Deluxe Car Brothers and their repaints and the Autobot mini's. Oh and the plain looking Build Robots and Combiners. In short it hasn't been much fun collecting RiD where I live. I'll wait and see if we get Armada down here.

chewie
06-15-2002, 03:10 PM
BTW. Scourge, being a TRU exclusive comes in its own case with no other toys in it. Hasbro does this with all their exclusives apparently. Even then, its stilll hard to find (though I bought mine on amazon.com). They made about 25,000 Scourges according to Transformers fans who work at the store. TRU distribution is partially to blame. Some stores only got 1 case (which only has 4 Scourges in it), while some got 5-10 cases.

There are also upcoming G1 toy re-releases of Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Hot Rod (now called Rodimus Major because Hasbro lost the name to Mattel). Again, these are going to be Toys R Us exclusives, and from what I've read, they will be even harder to find than Scourge because there were even less of them ordered. Ultra Magnus & Rodimus Major (Hot Rod) have around 22-23,000 made each, but Optimus Prime (who will be the hottest of them all) only had around 17,000 made. Though there is still a chance more will be produced. Around Christmas Powermaster Optimus Prime is expected to see re-release, and probably Starscream. All of them will be available in limited quantity on amazon.com, so be fast on the draw with a credit card if you are wanting one.

sideswipe1984
06-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Marvel Legends is pretty cool, though I have only picked up Cap and gold Iron Man so far, but I don't think the other 2 will get my next toy dollars any time soon, even with the less-than-stellar Transformers Armada figures coming within 60 days.

I picked up those two as well, and also the Hulk, who is definitely my favorite of the three. I look forward to the Thing's releasein series 2. As for Armada...well, I am not very impressed.

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Nihilus, I'm sorry to hear RID is more of a pain than a pleasure to collect where you are, Hasbro's international distribution seems to be all over the map (pardon the pun). Sometimes something's super rare in the states and some other country gets flooded with them, then something will be really easy to get here while it's totally unshipped outside North America.

Chewie, thanks for the info on Optimus Prime and the others. I still am in shock that Hasbro lost the rights to the name "Hot Rod". Those lower numbers seem so weird, I can't imagine why there aren't more G1 Optimus Primes - that figure is going to be at least twice as popular as Scourge, I bet.

Sideswipe, the Inedible Hunk ;) seems like a really good figure (though I've heard there's trouble with the fingers), but I'm just not a fan of the character. The figure I want in series 2 is Dr Doom, that's gonna be one killer figure.

And like you, what I've seen of Armada has not impressed me. It looks very poorly thought out, like Hasbro was simply trying to cross-promote a slapped-together Transformers line to go with these new Mini-cons. I remain skeptical, I think this line is going to ostracize both original Transformers fans and Beast Wars fans - the 2 sides of the RID coin. ;)

sideswipe1984
06-16-2002, 06:52 PM
Hasbro just doesn't seem to 'get it' with Transformers. For the longest time, they were in denial with Beast Machines - unwilling to admit the line (and show) was a flop with collectors and kids for the most part. RID (because of the takara line it was based on) was a success. But it was a success because it hearkened back to the 1984/1985 G1 years where you had recognizable vehicles transforming into humanoid robots. The recipe was simple, but well done. The fact that they could transform was gimmicjk enough. Armada, on the other hand, seems to smack of the late 80s run of G1 (the "masters" years) with it's gimmick-heavy premise. Too much emphasis is being placed on the gimmickry at the expense of the basic design of the Transformers themselves. Now you have the whole 'futuristic', non-realistic look of the vehicles. It's too bad too, because it looks like they are trying to sink some serious promotional effort into this line (new comics, show, box art). But if it flops, Hasbro will think that what killed the line was disinterest in the vehicular designs and the autobot/decepticon factions. Instead of realizing it was the shoddy execution of a simple concept. Oh well, at least they are reissuing some G1s as well this year (although I already have the frst few they plan on releasing).

As for marvel....yes, Dr. Doom looks to be a keeper as well. :)

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 07:29 PM
Beast Machines still blows me away by how poorly they did with it, they took a rich, serious, and logical world of Beast Wars and turned it into surfacy-crap - thus alienating the original Beast Wars audience and disappointing everybody else. Even the animation was more about surface elements than depth.

And you're absolutely right, Armada does feel like late-G1 designs; thank you for putting it that way, it cleared up a lot of what I couldn't really put my finger on. Personally, I think Transtech would have been a better choice than this, at least those futuristic vehicles had really INTERESTING designs and were REALLY futuristic and complex.

BTW, what do you think of the Human Torch figure from ML series 2? I personally think the prototype looks freakish and constipated, but it has a LITTLE promise.

chewie
06-16-2002, 08:19 PM
Just for my comments on Armada. It is a poor line. And a bad follow up to Robots In Disguise.

Now I do fully understand that these toys were designed by Hasbro (a US company) and then the designs were sent to japan for Takara to turn into actual toy molds. But these certainly aren't as good as what Hasbro has come up with before on their own.

Takara, who created the new Autobot molds for Robots in Disguise have a lot more appeal to me and other transfans. Armada has been primarily designed as a kid-centric line with a lot of G1 names to try to entice the older collectors. Though it isn't even a class near to the quality that last year's RiD line gave us.

I do have lower expectations of Hasbro designed Transformers compared to Takara designed ones, but I know Hasbro can do better as they have done in the past. The only way to talk to Hasbro is through sales numbers unfortunately, so I kinda-sorta want Armada to not sell well, just to make Hasbro wake up (yet again) to what made Transformers popular before.

sideswipe1984
06-16-2002, 10:21 PM
The Human Torch does not really suit my fancy. The design looks sub par, but more than that, I was never really into the Fantastic Four.

It astounds how much Takara really demostrated in 2000 that it really had it's finger on the pulse of the Transformer community with the Car Robots line, and yet Hasbro shows how they can screw up something that seems so obvious. Car Robots was exactly what fans had been clamoring for, for years - updated G1-type transformers. The line did extremely well in the U.S. (as RID) despite a very small marketing push. The cartoon was very campy, and childish (unlike BW...and even moreso than BM). For Armada, Hgasbro could (and SHOULD) have taken the solid aspects of RID (engineering of the toys, from concept to production, realistic vehicles) and improved upon the weaker aspects (like the cartoon, tech specs, and promotion). But, in the same fashion that they felt they needed to add gimmicks to the Saga line of SW, Hasbro thought they needed to reinvent the wheel, and change the formula of a successful line like RID in favor of a concept that, thus far, has received a very chilly reception from fans.

I realize that they have to consider the child market, and not JUST the collectors. However, I think that RID demostrated (once again) that most times, what proves popular with the latter, also proves popular with the former. Why not please both groups?

It just gets frustrating to watch Hasbro, time and time again, screw up SW and Transformers with unnecessary and imbecilic ideas. Frustrating in the fact that I love these two franchises, but Hasbro is constantly finding new and inventive ways to muck things up. You begin to wonder just who the hell does the R & D for them, and how out-of-touch they must truly be with their market.

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 10:51 PM
You know what I found interesting about Hasbro? Hasbro's San Francisco division (Galoob after it was bought by big-H) was designing at least half the figures in the POTJ line, but almost as soon as Hasbro shut down the San Fran and Cincinatti (Kenner) divisions and brought some of those folks into Rhode Island, the SW figure designs went to this current sub-par Saga line. I don't think Hasbro has ANY clue how to make toys anymore, they simply ride on the backs of their once-popular lines until they have completely exhausted a market for them - see Batman for a good example.

Without having to buy out a company to do it, I cannot think of one modern Hasbro line that is currently doing really well in the market - even the new GI Joe sets aren't really doing fantastic, and that's a line that Hasbro doesn't even have to pay licensing for. Medabots? We're still waiting for REAL figures from a show that already flashed in the pan, those MUSCLE-style figures are weighing down every store I've been to. Zoids are selling ok, but they're not even Hasbro products, they're Tomy products that Hasbro licensed to sell here in the US if I remember correctly. Hasbro's Disney products have been fairly-poorly received, but that can be said of most Disney toys lately. Still, it's strange that the #2 toymaker in the world doesn't even seem capable of making good toys anymore, and Armada is probably going to be a great example of this.

I wish RID had continued, I wish Takara had simply done more designs in those themes rather than recycling a bunch of G2 and Beast Machines stuff.

Eternal Padawan
06-17-2002, 12:26 AM
I just found Scourge at TRU. Got the last one. I have a question. part of his head is made from translucent plastic and theres a button on his cab/back. Was this an aborted electronic feature? I can see where the battery WOULD have gone buts its glued into place rather than held with screws 9althought the screw holes are still there. Kinda sucks we pay the same amount as OP and UM but don't get the electronic goodies. Still, this is a kickass figure. I'm glad I bought it.

I'll have to see the Human Torch on the shelf before I make a final judgment. The ones I'm wating for are Dr. Doom and the Thing...

chewie
06-17-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I just found Scourge at TRU. Got the last one. I have a question. part of his head is made from translucent plastic and theres a button on his cab/back. Was this an aborted electronic feature? I can see where the battery WOULD have gone buts its glued into place rather than held with screws 9althought the screw holes are still there. Kinda sucks we pay the same amount as OP and UM but don't get the electronic goodies. Still, this is a kickass figure. I'm glad I bought it.

Yes. The original toy that Scourge was based off of, Laser Rod Optimus Prime, had light-up electronics. The button on the cab lit up an LED in the hand of the toy to allow for the sword or gun to glow if placed in it. The head of both toys was never intended to light up. Its simply there for a back-lighting effect so that the eyes glow. Also, the japanese version of Scourge had these electronics removed, so the USA didn't get a lesser toy. It cost $30 due to the toy being a TRU exclusive. It would have probably been $25 if it had been released anywhere else.

Darth Nihilus
06-17-2002, 04:18 AM
One thing I never understood about the RiD line is the disparate ratio between the Autobots and the Predacons/Decepticons.

As for the new Marvel Classics. From what I've seen in the first ave they are better made than the Spiderman Classics, Hulk just looks freakish. They also seem to be thick and sturdy, though I have no first hand experience. To me they embody what a toy should be - sturdy and playable. Something which has been lacking in recent toylines. This could probably be attributed to the rise of McFarlane Toys

BTW - Just out of curiosity, who here has seen the new Masters of the Universe line and what do you think?

sideswipe1984
06-17-2002, 08:22 AM
That is interesting to hear, JT. Not surprising, though. I think you hit the nail right on the head with your assesment of their current attitude: They are just trying to milk every last ounce of profitability out of past lines that proved successful, instead of trying to improve upon these lines. Don't even get me started on Batsy. BTAS was the first line that I started collecting as an adult (back in '95). I loved the line when it came out. It's a shame what has become of it. Hasbro has certainly gotten their money's worth out of those molds! The ultimate shame of this is the fact that Hasbro holds the rights over Superman and Batman figure production. DC Direct is now producing the very nice figures based on classic DC characters, but they can't touch the two most popular characters of the DC Universe (Bats and Supes) because of Hasbro's license. Hasbro seems unwilling to do anything worthwhile with the license, though. We haven't even seen a "Justice League" line (are there even any plans for one?) yet. Hasbro has just become a complacent fat cat, but there will be a reckoning one day.

Darth Nihilus: The reason for the disparity is as follows: RID was basically an import of Takara's "Car Robots" Transformers line of 2000. Takara was not in great shape financially, and only produced a handful of new molds for the line: the three car bros, Prime, Magnus, the Build Team, JRX (the trains), and Megatron. The rest of the line consisted of repaints from past Tranny lines. When Hasbro imported the line, they didn't add too much to the lineup, with the exception of a few more repaints, unreleased BM toys, and a couple of new molds -but nothing like those original molds Takara had done; They were the backbone of the line.

You know what I found interesting about Hasbro? Hasbro's San Francisco division (Galoob after it was bought by big-H) was designing at least half the figures in the POTJ line, but almost as soon as Hasbro shut down the San Fran and Cincinatti (Kenner) divisions and brought some of those folks into Rhode Island, the SW figure designs went to this current sub-par Saga line. I don't think Hasbro has ANY clue how to make toys anymore, they simply ride on the backs of their once-popular lines until they have completely exhausted a market for them - see Batman for a good example.

Without having to buy out a company to do it, I cannot think

of one modern Hasbro line that is currently doing really well in the market - even the new GI Joe sets aren't really doing fantastic, and that's a line that Hasbro doesn't even have to pay licensing for. Medabots? We're still waiting for REAL figures from a show that already flashed in the pan, those MUSCLE-style figures are weighing down every store I've been to. Zoids are selling ok, but they're not even Hasbro products, they're Tomy products that Hasbro licensed to sell here in the US if I remember correctly. Hasbro's Disney products have been fairly-poorly received, but that can be said of most Disney toys lately. Still, it's strange that the #2 toymaker in the world doesn't even seem capable of making good toys anymore, and Armada is probably going to be a great example of this.

I wish RID had continued, I wish Takara had simply done more designs in those themes rather than recycling a bunch of G2 and Beast Machines stuff.

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Nihilus, the 2 Marvel Legends figures I have are on-par with my first Spider-Man Classics figures - all have a few floppy joints and sloppy paint jobs, but are such great toys that they really shine through any of these little problems. My poor Cap has a super-loose waist though. :D I haven't put any of these figures through their playing-paces yet, but I think you're right, they do seem quite more like toys than "collectible action figures", which is a good thing in my book.

I thought it was weird that Takara only made one new Pred/Decepticon at all - Megatron - the rest being recycled Beast Wars Transmetals/TM2s and later some G1/G2 figures. Luckily, Megs is in PERFECT scale with the Optimus Prime figure (aka "Super Fire Convoy", right?).

I've only seen the new Masters of the Universe line in photographs, and none of them recent. I think they look very promising, but I'm still waiting to actually get one in my hands before really deciding. I'm a little afraid that all the buzz around it has drained off and the line is gonna tank from that.

Sideswipe, that thing about Hasbro holding the licenses for Batman and Superman is a real heartbreaker. Watching DC Direct get better and better at making figures while Hasbro gets progressively worse is just not a way for 2 of the greatest superhero characters to be treated.

I think Justice League does have some plans to be done as toys, right now they're being done as mini-statues, but I heard that DC Direct will do a Justice League line without Bats and Supes if they have to, or *maybe* allow Hasbro to do it, but it's still up in the air (probably based in part on how JL is doing in the ratings, anybody know?).

I think that "day of reckoning" will be stayed off as long as Hasbro can play the corporate-politics game better than any other toymaker. That's a shame because Hasbro already had an expensive wakeup call which prompted them to simply close down their only successful toymaking divisions.

I didn't know Takara was in bad financial ways, I think it's weird that Takara abandoned the Transformers name in 2001 to do the Japanese transforming toy/video game console thing ("WebDiver"), that one seems like such a risk - I'd hate to see one of Japan's top toy-designing companies go under.

Darth Nihilus
06-18-2002, 09:22 AM
As I said, I haven't had any first hand experience with the Marvel Legends. They look interesting but I've never been a comic-book guy so I haven't given in and gotten them.

As for the new He-Man figs, they'll be out within six to eight weeks so it'll be an interesting time. These too look fairly sturdy but still suffer from lack of articulation

And Megatron of comparable size to Prime? Not if you've got him set up as Ultra Prime. He makes Mega look weak. As frustrating as it is to collect them, the RiD are damn fine looking toys. Hell, I think I'll cave in and open my Storm Jet tonight.

JediTricks
06-18-2002, 03:56 PM
True about Ultra Prime (by that, I believe you mean the armor made up from the back of Optimus Prime's firetruck), but I don't care for the extra armor anyway ;).

BTW, Ultra Jetstorm from Beast Machines is as tall and possibly as wide as Omega Prime - I'm so glad to have an enemy that can stand up to that big Autobot gestalt.

He-Man has never really been about articulation, mostly about some buffed-out figures with swinging punches, tons of interesting bad guys, and some cool accessories. In this respect, I think Mattel has already succeeded in capturing the original line. However, it's been 20 years since the original came out, and kids' tastes have changed quite a bit. Will this be the equivelent of Back to the Future 2's "You have to use your hands?!? That's like a baby's toy!", or will it succeed on its own merits?

sideswipe1984
06-18-2002, 04:21 PM
I think it will take a strong marketing push to bring in the kiddies to the new MOTU line. Collectors will scoop them up, but something tells me that kids tastes have simply changed too much. That is no strike against the line - I think Mattel did a bang-up job, however, there are far too many other things to draw kids' attentions away from a line like this. Oh well, I'll be there!

JediTricks
06-18-2002, 06:56 PM
I heard that Mattel had MOTU (Masters of the Universe, for those who don't know) ready to sell last xmas like they claimed they were gonna a year ago, but put the whole line on hold so they could produce some sort of new MOTU animated special to draw in the kiddies. IMO, they should have released the figs on time and then done animated, plot-driven commercials like the new GI Joe ones, only a little better - all while working on this MOTU special.

sideswipe1984
06-18-2002, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I had heard something to that effect as well. Honestly, MOTU is behind SW, Transformers, and Joes on my nostalgia-driven toy collecting, so i haven't been keeping up with the MOTU news as much as I would like. But they certainly have been dragging out the debut of these things for an awfully long time. I think the toys were previewed at the San Diego Comic Con last year.

I haven't seen the new Joe commercials yet. Are they any good?

figrin bran
06-18-2002, 10:56 PM
any of you collect the PVC's? i'm wondering what's a reasonable price to pay for them as i found a place today that has individual boxes for $7 a piece. they had lots of act 7's and some earlier ones as well.

Darth Nihilus
06-19-2002, 02:47 AM
I heard that Mattel had MOTU (Masters of the Universe, for those who don't know) ready to sell last xmas like they claimed they were gonna a year ago, but put the whole line on hold so they could produce some sort of new MOTU animated special to draw in the kiddies. IMO, they should have released the figs on time and then done animated, plot-driven commercials like the new GI Joe ones, only a little better - all while working on this MOTU special.

It's true, they did have them ready to go. The new animated special, a 90-minute pilot is in fact an origin story. It will debut Aug 16th on CN. The new 26 episode season begins on the 23rd as a weekly program and shifts to the Toonami daily line-up in November (I think). The trailer for the new show can be downloaded from http://www.he-man.org/

Another reason for the delay is a small design change to the He-Man figures and some paraphernalia. The original iron cross has been dumped from MOTU and is being replaced by a 'H' with a line running horizontally through it. This makes the existing stock of 'Cross' figures somewhat of a collector's item. These will be available late July/early August.

Back on the lateness of a new series, the license for it was only announced last year. There was a small bidding war for the rights that only concluded late last year. Incidentally, a new comic will be produced by MV creations, a small independent, though the final details for that are as yet unknown.

Yes, I like MOTU.:crazed:

pthfnder89
06-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by sideswipe1984
The ultimate shame of this is the fact that Hasbro holds the rights over Superman and Batman figure production. DC Direct is now producing the very nice figures based on classic DC characters, but they can't touch the two most popular characters of the DC Universe (Bats and Supes) because of Hasbro's license. Hasbro seems unwilling to do anything worthwhile with the license, though.

Sideswipe and Tricks - this isn't entirely true. The Superman liscence is at least, debatable. DC Direct did in fact release a really nice Superman figure as part of a Lois Lane/Superman twopack last year.

It's a beautiful toy, but it's based off a 40's Golden Age Superman design which probably helped them avoid problems with Hasbro. But what this means is that Hasbros rights to creating Superman figures is not absolute, so there is hope.

The same can't really be said for Batman.:rolleyes: :frus: Hasbro has him completely locked up and they ain't letting go unless they have to. This is what really gets to me because I agree with you that the Batman toy line has completely stagnated and Hasbro refuses to make it better.

As a huge Batman fan, this just ticks me off. Ever since DC Direct started making figures I have been DYING to see what they would do if they made a Batman. I'm salivating with thoughts of 6" scale figures with Spiderman Classics type articulation *drool* And the idea that they won't ever be made because Hasbro is sitting on the licence releasing figures and vehicles from 10 year old molds just ****es me off.:mad:

Re: Transformers Armada. I stopped collecting TFs last year right before RID started in the US because of the expense. I bought the Takara RID toys as soon as they were released in Japan and I was psyched about the line. But since those were the only new molds to be created I stopped right there.

I was excited when I heard about Hasbros Armada line, but then I actually saw pics from Toyfare and that feeling went away quickly. They horrid pieces of crap, with awful paint scheems and terrible robot modes. I really don't mind the premise (I really loved the old Headmasters:)) but the toys themselves are just awful. Typical Hasbro design...:rolleyes: If I spend any more money on TFs, it'll be to buy some of the re-released G1s imported from Japan.

JediTricks
06-20-2002, 12:36 AM
I haven't seen the new Joe commercials yet. Are they any good? They are... how would I describe them? In context to the fact that they're commercials, I would say they are "close to good" and have enough potential to build something good upon. There should be way more of them though.

Nihilus, thanks for the 411 on MOTU. Weird how it's gonna be on Cartoon Network, seems like that's the dumping ground for far too many new cartoons these days. A cabler just doesn't have enough reach IMO to get through to enough kids (plus, and I hate to say this, I kinda hate CN's programming department). 26 eps doesn't seem like enough, that's how many Justice League had for season 1 and it feels like they're airing the pilot at least once a month now.

Changing He-Man's logo seems like a HUGE waste of time, all those statues already out there with the original logo, but I'll bet someone claimed the old cross logo was too similar to the German iron cross or something.

TF:Armada is ALSO going to CN this fall, which is such a bad mistake IMO, that alone may kill the whole shooting match, but at least they have 52 eps (which Hasbro is going to air DAILY instead of weekly, which means it'll only have 3 months of stories and then will have to recycle twice more until the next season would be slated).

pthfnder89, I heard that was during a small lull in the contract, and that was the time point when DC started getting the Supes license back, but that it only affected pre-80s versions of the character or something. Right after the DC Direct 2pack came out, Hasbro finally released a Lois figure in a TRU exclusive 4pack and then released a Superman figure in with a Batman figure as a Wal-Mart 2pack or something.

It's a darn shame how Hasbro is letting the Batman license rot, I hate even thinking about that. :frus:

Armada has gotten a few good reviews from those who got early versions, but some bad ones too. I think they've got me sold on the role-play Laserbeak though, I really like role-play toys. :D

The new size adjustments really make me nervous though, sounds like Hasbro's just trying to up the prices on all the Transformer size classifications.

Darth Nihilus
06-20-2002, 12:49 AM
Nihilus, thanks for the 411 on MOTU. Weird how it's gonna be on Cartoon Network, seems like that's the dumping ground for far too many new cartoons these days. A cabler just doesn't have enough reach IMO to get through to enough kids (plus, and I hate to say this, I kinda hate CN's programming department). 26 eps doesn't seem like enough, that's how many Justice League had for season 1 and it feels like they're airing the pilot at least once a month now.

Changing He-Man's logo seems like a HUGE waste of time, all those statues already out there with the original logo, but I'll bet someone claimed the old cross logo was too similar to the German iron cross or something.

TF:Armada is ALSO going to CN this fall, which is such a bad mistake IMO, that alone may kill the whole shooting match, but at least they have 52 eps (which Hasbro is going to air DAILY instead of weekly, which means it'll only have 3 months of stories and then will have to recycle twice more until the next season would be slated).

I don't really follow cartoons either, but it seems to me that properties like DBZ and Powerpuff Girls are successful because of their commercial availability. One would think that the Powers that Be would try for that market. I guess they're hoping that if it takes off on cable then network TV will snap it up.

In regards to the Iron Cross you hit the nail on the head. It had been confirmed by a consultant on the new show that it had been scrapped because of the similarity to the Nazi symbol of Honor. While understandable in some respects, it is silly in others - the Cross has historical significance predating Nazism

As for TF: Armada being on CN, at least then I might be able to see it. I missed out on RiD because my provider doesn't run Fox Kids (though I'd heard I wasn't missing much). Hopefully once the toys hit the shelves they won't look too bad.

JediTricks
06-20-2002, 01:02 AM
I updated my post, had to go offline in the middle of writing it.

Powerpuff Girls has indeed been picked up on network, it's now on Kids WB on Saturdays. Plus, it's got a movie coming out, so I guess that worked out for them.

Sucks to hear that's the reason for the loss of the cross, Germany been using it for over 100 years before the Nazis came to power and 12 years AFTER world war 2; and it didn't seem to bother anybody 20 years ago when the original MOTU line came out.

I missed some of RID because my local Fox station changed the airtimes almost every week without telling the listings, including the first day. Then, about half-way through, the station stopped airing Fox Kids during the week, only on Saturdays, and the whole Fox Kids lineup moved to UPN!!! This is Los Angeles and they're pulling this crap, one of the ratings capitals and they're monkeying around... so crazy. So, I never got to see the first OR last ep of RID. I guess having it on cable will be nice, but I hope it doesn't suffer as badly as Justice League has there.

chewie
06-20-2002, 01:28 AM
Yeah. Too bad about the cross leaving He-Man.

I never even thought that would be a mark of contention.

Now the swastika has been forever tainted thanks to the Nazi regrime, but it too, was a symbol of good for centuries until the Nazi party adopted it.

plasticfetish
06-20-2002, 04:24 AM
Heya ... just stumbled across this thread. (I feel so naughty talking about Transformers at this site. hah.)

I didn't know Takara was in bad financial ways, I think it's weird that Takara abandoned the Transformers name in 2001 to do the Japanese transforming toy/video game console thing ("WebDiver"), that one seems like such a risk - I'd hate to see one of Japan's top toy-designing companies go under.

I had read a while back ... the details are hazy ... that Takara really was (and may be still for all I can figure) very close to becoming extinct. As I understand it (and maybe someone else knows more about this) the only way to sell toys in Japan is to have a cartoon to support it. The only way you can get a "network" to play your cartoon is to pay THEM large sums of money ... and I believe that cost was becoming too much for Takara to handle.

How this explains Web Diver ... I have no idea. Maybe they really wanted to focus on the video game crowd ... thinking that in order to stay around they needed to be as high tech as possible. I dunno.

What I do know, is that the poor Microman line has seemingly died ... as well, the Neo Henshin Cyborg line (I'd say my favorite toy line in 25 years) seemed to vanish. Henshin Cyborg being the earliest link to GI Joe and so it all began ...

... and now we've got Aramada. At first, I honestly thought they all looked pretty lame, but I'm starting to get interested in a few of them. Yeah ... they are trying to cover all the bases with this line ... ages 5 through 35 as it may be. They for sure capitalize on the action masters line ... and a few of them look like the tonka figures that are out now also. This may be the first TF line I buy ... and actually let my 4 1/2 year old son play with them. (Lord knows he's been eyeing the wall-o-transformers for most of his life.) I just hope the toys are actually fun to PLAY with, which really seems to be a big problem with Hasbro's efforts lately.

:]

Does anyone understand or know what the noise air attack optimus makes when you press his chest? It kinda scared me.

sideswipe1984
06-20-2002, 08:00 AM
RE: the Cross of He-Man
<rant>
This is just the type of PC nonsense that drives me up the wall. God forbid they have a symbol that just MIGHT insult someone's delicate sensibilities - somewhere. Because if it did, that person would raise holy he11 and cry naziism until they got their way.

20 years ago, we never had this type of paranoia from the toy companies, because there weren't the number of PC groups around trying to be the eternal wet blankets. Now, they can't even make accessories too small, or too sharp, or too realistic - lest some moronic schild decides to have them for lunch. When I was a child, good parenting went along way - but I guess that it is easier to sue, and blame the toy manufacturers for your own ineptitude as a parent.
</rant>

JT: sounds cool with the Joe commercials. I will have to see if i can catch them.

RE: DC Direct Superman- That is interesting to note with the Golden Age Supes. Same goes for the Superboy/Supergirl 2-pack that is available. I see they found a loophole. It is ironic that they can't even create figures from one of their own properties. As frustrating as it has become with Hasbro not doing anything worthwhile with either Batsy or Supes, I honestly am not surprised. They have a long history of doing things "their way", sometimes defying all logic. Often times it seems as if they do things out of sheer stubborness and pride (if such things are possible in a corporate entity).

pthfnder89
06-21-2002, 11:09 AM
RE: the Cross of He-Man
RE: DC Direct Superman- That is interesting to note with the Golden Age Supes. Same goes for the Superboy/Supergirl 2-pack that is available. I see they found a loophole. It is ironic that they can't even create figures from one of their own properties. As frustrating as it has become with Hasbro not doing anything worthwhile with either Batsy or Supes, I honestly am not surprised. They have a long history of doing things "their way", sometimes defying all logic. Often times it seems as if they do things out of sheer stubborness and pride (if such things are possible in a corporate entity).

Well unfortunately, it's just buisness. I can't say any other company would give up the licence of such a hot property as Batman or Supes either. The difference is that most companies wouldn't just sit on their butt not doing anything with it either.

It's not really a matter of Hasbro being stubborn, it's just that those are big properties and there is a possibility of making a lot of money off them. The problem is Hasbro hasbn't gotten around to doing anything with them and doesn't show any signs of doing anything anytime soon.:rolleyes:

RE: Armada.
I was REALLY excited when I heard the premise behind the toys. (Like I said, I loved the idea of Headmaasters and Powermasters) But once I actually saw them they just killed my enthusiasm. I just don't like the way any of them look. The paint schemes are bizarre and the robot AND vehicle modes are both very cartoony. Mostly though I guess it's just the paint schemes that really throw me. :(

I really hope I manage to catch the Armada show though. I haven't been able to see any cartoons in the last year or two, just because of scheduling problems. I still haven't managed to see a single episode of RID since it came on in the US. (I used to download the Japanese eps when it first started)

figrin bran
06-21-2002, 10:47 PM
does anyone collect the PVC figures here? personally i love the thrill of opening up a box and not knowing who's going to be inside.

chewie
06-21-2002, 10:59 PM
I don't colect the japanese PVCs, but the just-released "Heroes of Cybertron" US versions of the PVCs I will be collecting.

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 02:11 AM
plasticfetish, IMO, Takara should start demanding money from Hasbro for all they've done for Big H. Takara is a really awesome toy maker/designer and should be salvaged at all costs.

I don't think ANYTHING explains Web Diver though. ;)

sideswipe, I think if Hasbro is guilty of anything, it's of egotistical pride. This is the company that sold Shadow of the Batman and Legends of the Batman at the SAME TIME!!! They really seem to act as if being the #2 toy seller means they can do it "their way" no matter how bad it tanks. Look at Supreme Cheetor, nearly ANY fan could have told them it wasn't going to do anywhere near as well as Supreme Optmius at that time, but they went with the big cat that wasn't even selling in their Mega line and wound up eating it big time.

pthfnder89, if you haven't seen RID, count yourself among the lucky few. ;) I cannot STAND our version of that show, everything about it feels wrong from the theme music to the voices to the digimon-style action. How they can go from the incredible writing of Beast Wars to the comedy junk of RID in under 2 years would be totally beyond me... if not for the fact that Hasbro took the TF away from Mainframe and gave it to superschlocks Saban.

figrin bran, the PVCs just came out in the US, I hear for around $3 and up each, and you KNOW which ones you get. I personally am not into them, but I am interested in their MSiA cousins, the Mega Super Collection Figures (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=82&show_article=40).

So I found Storm Jet at TRU, it's pretty cool, I like the color scheme, and it makes a good counterpoint to the evil colors of Jetstorm. Plus, the rotating wing allows for a surprisingly-different look in vehicle mode. I wish I could say I liked robot mode as much, but despite a satisfying transformation, this one just looks too odd in Autobot colors.

figrin bran
06-22-2002, 02:25 AM
thanks for the info JT, i'll look for the US PVC's. i think i gave up on RID after the 2nd episode or so that i saw.

sideswipe1984
06-22-2002, 02:34 AM
JT, yes, that pride is precisely what I reference. For instance, for years fans were lobbying for Hasbro to either a) reissue G1 toys, or b) base new molds upon g1 characters. Hasbro's response/ Basically ignore these requests and insist that the "Beast" theme was what they were sticking with. Until, low and behold, takara strikes gold with G1 reissues, now, all of the sudden, hasbro is collector friendly with trannys. They just really frost m ***$. OK, I am sauced, and it is 2:30 EST, time to hit the sack.

Darth Nihilus
06-22-2002, 10:37 AM
So I found Storm Jet at TRU, it's pretty cool, I like the color scheme, and it makes a good counterpoint to the evil colors of Jetstorm. Plus, the rotating wing allows for a surprisingly-different look in vehicle mode. I wish I could say I liked robot mode as much, but despite a satisfying transformation, this one just looks too odd in Autobot colors.

I agree, I opened mine and found his robot mode to be quite pathetic. Even X-Brawn is better looking. I also didn't expect such a fair-sized vehicle to change into a midget robot. I'm also unable to bend his right arm, is anyone else having this trouble? And what's supposed to be the motivation for the red sphere under that black cover? Weird.

I took a look at Megatron, Cyclonus and Hot Shot from Armada and nearly vomited. These are sick looking and I think I will avoid them.

plasticfetish
06-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
I'm also unable to bend his right arm, is anyone else having this trouble? And what's supposed to be the motivation for the red sphere under that black cover? Weird.

I opened mine last night ... it looks like the black parts of the arm/hand, etc. weren't fully dry before they assembled the toy. It seems to stick a bit and it's apparently not too strong. I took a screw driver to the screw on the forearm ... loosened it up and then gently worked it all free. Kind of a pain. The whole thing fits together a bit weird (chest plates don't snap on right) ... seems they rushed this one a bit.

The G1 Jetfire color scheme is cool though ... I just wonder about Hasbro using this new softer "child safe" plastic on everything. I have a feeling the stuff wont age well and most of the toys they're making with it will turn to mush in 10 years. (It feels like the same cheesy plastic McFarlane uses ... and god knows their toys are as brittle as easter eggs.)

The red sphere is "them" simply not wanting to deal with the old beast machines spark chrystal. ho hum.

Darth Nihilus
06-23-2002, 12:04 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll have to try that when I get home from work tonight.

JediTricks
06-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Yeah, the paint on these definitely wasn't dry when they hit the packaging, I had the same problem on both arms - though I just worked mine through (the left one came REALLY close to trouble though). The forearms on mine are both closed at the seams fairly poorly, which makes the arm problem that much stranger.

The plastic for the nose, wings, and ears feels like the same stuff as Jetstorm's, only "fresher". The nose on mine is slightly bent, and the ears aren't at the same angle. However that is the same flaw as on Jetstorm, as is the trouble with the chest armor. But other stuff with Storm Jet isn't like that, the mid-jet hinge-point on SJ just popped out on mine but never has on Js, the wrist covers also pop like that. The waist point hinge better onto the nose winglets, but the ball joints on the hips are much looser.

I hear the red ball is actually the same Vehicon logo inside, but you obviously can't see that. Also, one cool thing I found on my Jetstorm is that the canopy is removable and has a molded design inside - this is carried over to SJ. Unfortunately, the face paint on Jetstorm is way better than SJ - I hadn't even noticed this when I first opened the figure, guess I was too excited about finding Storm Jet. ;)

I like Jetstorm from Beast Machines as a figure, but he is a bit midgety compared to his vehicle mode and that translates REALLY badly to Storm Jet. I've been monkeying about for a taller alt-mode, but those puny arms look even weirder that way... strange how Ultra JS and Mega JS have differently-designed arms that are both too short.

Darth Nihilus
06-25-2002, 12:20 PM
I'm just really disappointed with SJ's robot mode, I usually keep him in vehicle mode. Though at the moment he's being squashed by Megatron in Fist mode.

Croaker
06-25-2002, 12:56 PM
Wasn't He-man's cross just a Maltese cross?
Symbol of St. John's ambulance?
Symbol of the knight's Templar?

Why are they so worried?

And on the Transformer's topic. I'm in the UK at the moment but when I was home in Canada for Xmas I only caught the tv show once because Fox kept changing the timeslot and it wasn't listed anywhere.

Darth Nihilus
06-26-2002, 01:57 PM
The Cross has significance dating back to the middle ages, I think the Knights Hospitalier used it. Unfortunately, someone has made the executive decision that people wll look past any other significance it might have and assume they will associate it with the Nazi medal of honour. I'm personally not too thrilled with the new logo as it is painfully generic.

JediTricks
06-27-2002, 08:08 PM
I just realized, one thing I had glossed over till now on Storm Jet was that even though he's got this cool color scheme... no Autobot symbols! What the heck is up with that? The only Autobot symbol is on the packaging.

Well, I've finally seen the new He-Man logo and it looks like he's wearing a big asterisk * on his chest. What were they thinking there?!?

Darth Nihilus
07-07-2002, 02:39 PM
I had never even noticed that about Storm Jet. Wow, maybe he's not the good guy he's pretending to be.:eek:

Also, I'm not exactly enamored with He-Man's new logo. I think what it is, is a 'H' with a another piece running horizontally through it. IMO it's a bad move as it takes away that recognition factor somewhat.

JediTricks
07-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Absolutely, the new symbol is confusing and strange, not very cool either.

BTW, SirSteve did some shooting for Figures.com at Wizard World and put up a bunch of Armada pics over there: http://216.127.66.72/a/gallery/album17

IMO, Hasbro has made a big misstep with these, the ONLY ones that look tempting at all are the Role Play one Laserbeak (I've got a soft-spot for role play toys like that ;)) and the jet Minicons.

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 12:29 PM
Oh dear lord. Well I finally saw my first ep of TF : RID this weekend and all I can say is you guys were spot on. I feel like I've been violated.

It was truly awful; what they hell is up with the guy who does Primes voice? He sounds like a 12 year old whos trying to pretend that his voice has changed...

Darth Nihilus
07-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Eh, that page is loading too slow for my liking. I have seen pics of some of the Armada figs (Megatron, Optimus, Laserbeak, Cyclonus and Hot Shot) and I am far from impressed. The color schemes are garish, out of place. The robots look too clunky and the mini-cons are a pathetic gimmick. That said things can look different when they are on the shelves.;)

JT - did you see that He-Man online or in a store?

JediTricks
07-08-2002, 08:21 PM
pthfnder89, sorry you had to be assaulted by the crap that was the RID cartoon, Saban seems to be the lowest, cheapest, scangiest organization to make children's television in a long time and did NOT deserve to rework the TF2000: Car Robots show from Japan. I also agree with you about Prime's voice, it was convincing for like a nanosecond when I first saw it, but the more I heard it, the worse it got.

DN, I also think Armada looks like the most plasticky TF line of all, which is a very bad thing.

I saw the He-Man fig online, but I have heard comic shops are getting theirs.

JediTricks
07-25-2002, 12:13 AM
Picked up the Armada figure "Demolishor" today on the recommendation of several folks. This feels like an extension of the Beast Machines line, but in a good way. The vehicle mode is a bit weak in main design and slightly floppy, but some of the minicon gimmicks aren't too shabby and you can make a LOT of alternate designs out of the figure (I like the ED-209 one). The thing that bugs me about it is the missiles are huge but not shaped like cannons. Launching the minicon car mode is fun, but the real gasser is having thie minicon robot mode pilot the tank from the flip-up seat. The colors aren't too garish and the paint wash on the lower section is pretty nice. The figure doesn't feel as plasticky as I expected, it has some heft and uses solid materials.

Transformation of the upper body is fairly bland, but the legs are interesting and allow for a lot of interesting designs. The "base mode" they came up with is boring as hell, but it lets you know that they were trying something and that allows you to take off with your own designs. The minicon transformation is dull as a bag of wet mice but serves the needs of the toy.

Robot mode is not so bad, pretty buff. A little gap in a couple places is odd here, but mostly it's a good bot, looks like a nasty killer and has good articulation.

Minicon lock-on "powerlinx" points are stupid, I don't think this concept works at all, if it weren't for the minicon launcher and the minicon control seat, this idea would be a complete bust. The missile-launcher is only on one side and slides forward about half an inch, really unimpressive - the other lock-on points do NOTHING except to add tiny vehicles to these figures, fairly dumb IMO. There are points on the "hands" to make the minicons act as guns, but basically you've got a tiny car stuck to the side of a giant tank.

All in all, this is a good figure but not a great line.

El Chuxter
08-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Do the Minicons serve the same purpose as the Nebulons in the old PowerMaster wave of G1 Transformers?

And are any of these better than they look? (They all look like garbage, as far as I've seen.)

plasticfetish
08-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Do the Minicons serve the same purpose as the Nebulons in the old PowerMaster wave of G1 Transformers?

And are any of these better than they look? (They all look like garbage, as far as I've seen.)

Nebulons? I've never heard that ... but, I think I know what you're talking about. (If I don't, let me know.)

I would say, after having gotten all of the Armada stuff that's out ... that they aren't too bad after all. I think there has been waaaay to much negative "trans-fan" hysteria about this line. I'll admit that there are a couple figures (Hot Shot and Red Alert) that could have been a little less simplistic ... but they aren't horrible. Megatron is pretty fun to fiddle with and so are the other Decepticon figures. I like Starscream a lot ... the sound features and overall look of the figure is cool.

I was ready to pretty much skip this whole line at first. From the photos it looked like they where all too "corny" and cartooney ... it looked like the toys where cheaply made as well. Now, after having given them a try, I'll say that they are pretty fun as well as sturdy and nicely articulated. I also remembered somewhere along the line, that they look "corny" and cartooney because they ARE. Transformers are corny, but I think these ARE in a good kind of way.

The Mini-cons lend to the playability factor pretty well I think ... the idea that they allow new transformations and additional sounds to be revealed is a good one. Yes, this is very much in the style of the Micromasters of G1 ... but, I think it is done better in many ways.

Like I said before, Hot Shot and in some ways Red Alert seem a little too "basic" ... I don't know what it is ... perhaps it's the contrast to figures like Demolishor that seem to have more "mecha" type detailing. I also try and think about the fact that these are REALLY designed with 7 year olds in mind and not 34 year old robot junkies like myself.

Anyway ... I'm going hunting for Optimus today or tomorrow ... he's slowly appearing now. I hope this line does reasonably well ... it would be a shame to see it totally fail. I've got mine on a shelf right next to a shelf full of G1 minicars and micromasters and they look just fine together.

-pf

JediTricks
08-14-2002, 12:49 AM
I think the line is a waste. The articulation is slop, the figures are either kibblemasters or gimmickmasters, and the minicons just aren't that interesting. There's something hateable in almost every set I've played with - I do think Demolishor is ok, it's the only one I bought, but it's super plasticky and the minicon gimmick is a major dud.

The 2nd wave has a few promising figures, and I can't wait for deluxe Optimus to come out (it's a better version of JUST the cab portion), but all in all, I can't wait for the next TF line.

plasticfetish
08-14-2002, 02:11 AM
... but it's super plasticky ..

What's wrong with plastic?

(hah)

El Chuxter
08-14-2002, 12:53 PM
The Nebulons (now that I think about it, it may have been "Nebulans") were the humanoid aliens who formed the heads of Headmasters, guns of Targetmasters, and engines of Powermasters back in the day. In the toys, the Powermasters couldn't be transformed without inserting the Nebulon engine (or pushing the button, if you didn't want to bother with the engine).

plasticfetish
08-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Oh yeah .. yeah, yeah, yeah ... now I see.
Nebulans, (my ignorance, just read that name in this TF book here) I didn't know they actually had a name. I should have known better ... everything does.

Yes ... it's pretty much exactly the same idea with these "mini-cons" ... the little figure unlocks added features. This time around it involves lots of sound effects also. Yes ... it's even more obviously a tribute to the "masters" G1 lines now that I think of it. I suppose, I wasn't really impressed with those (G1 PM) figures either, until I picked up a Powermaster Optimus Prime (I'll admit it's the only powermaster figure I own right now) ... it's clunky, plainly colored and plasticky. After playing with it for a while, it turned out to be one of my favorite G1 figures.

Hmmm ... from the photos, it looks like the new Prime is pretty much the same thing, just updated for today.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish

What's wrong with plastic?

(hah)
:] LOL! Sorry, I should have added "nothing personal" there. :D They're plasticky in a cheap way to me. Beast Wars was all plastic but rarely felt like plasticky junk toys, RID was even more plastic in a way but none of those designs felt plasticky... I guess it has something to do with the cheap grade of plastic and the lack of a substantial feel these Aramada figs have for me.

Technically, the Minicons are a 3rd Cybertronian faction that ALSO got lost on Earth and woke up "recently". They can be swayed to either side of the battle and are supposed to be their own characters rather than just servants of the larger robots. They are "fully transformable" in a fairly basic manner and aren't very poseable or detailed. Some have adequate sculpted detail but awful paint details which actually ruin the sculpted details! The minicons can be plugged into a generic peg-with-hole on any Autobot or Decepticon to act as a weapon (if by "weapon" you mean a tiny car stuck to the side of a larger car or a big robot's shoulder or something like that); the minicons can also be plugged into special peg-with-hole dealies that activate a gimmick on the larger bot (like pop-open weapons or set off a sound or launch a projectile).

plasticfetish
08-15-2002, 04:40 AM
LOL! Sorry, I should have added "nothing personal" there. :D They're plasticky in a cheap way to me.

<Hah!>
Of course no offense taken.:)

Yeah, honestly I know what you mean though ... there is a big difference. This is, to say the least, not my favorite TF line from over the past few years. Beast Wars and especially Transmetals are what got me into collecting Transformers. All of the modern lines have to be measured against those figures for me. I think you're right about the quality of the plastic ... I always thought that Machine Wars where a bit shoddy and these feel similar in a lot of ways. As far as design goes ... it's that weird feeling that the same people who designed the Playskool figures also designed these. Though I kinda think the Playskool figures are cool in a novel sort of way, even my 4 1/2 year old son would ultimately rather have his hands on my RID Optimus instead (when will that thing finally go on clearance?!)

But, ya know ... like any other fetish ... the attraction to toys, be they plastic, diecast, vinyl or tin is something we adults create in our mind. (I love the smell of cold polyethylene in the morning!) In Japan it's largely aided by throwing in a decent cartoon or television show to get things going. Uggg ... if the next show is as boring as RID I think they may have to end it for a while. Saban did another fine job of turning something that was probably "decent" in Japan into a bland joke. (I miss those corny but fun CG shows.)

At least Saban isn't tampering with "Ultraman Tiga" ... the first Ultraman show (as far as I can remember) aired in the US since I was a kid ... mid '70s(?). I just hope it turns out decent ... I've been nodding off during those father/son Saturday morning TV marathons.

JediTricks
08-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Beast Wars also got me back into collecting Transformers, I think that line was really fantastic.

I hated how badly Saban destroyed Transformers with their mishandling of RID. Sure, the Japanese show was more Digimon than Decepticon, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been edited into something a little less horrible with even the most basic of care. After the incredible job Mainframe did with Beast Wars, I was SO let down by RID. If Armada is anything like that, I'll be runnin' for da hills.

plasticfetish
10-01-2002, 04:36 AM
Testing testing ...

picked up "smokescreen" w/ "liftor" today. Aside from the silly names, I'd say this one's kinda cool. He's a little top heavy with the crane thing and all ... but the overall design is fun.

I've long given in to the fact that these TFs have a sort of juvey kind of "Playskool" feel to them ... they is what they is. For the most part I think they're OK.

Saw the show! We just got the Cartoon Network ... it's not the worst TF cartoon ever. Frankly, I think it's probably par for the course. The animation isn't really that bad, the voices and characters are typically silly ... but that's Transformers. As it's always been. My own mini-con is enjoying the show and that's all that really matters.

JediTricks
10-01-2002, 05:22 PM
I can't wait to find wave 2, but it looks like I'll have to with this labor dispute down at the docks. :( I haven't even seen pics of Liftor yet. Is there a new catalog and comic with him?

The show is an abomination to me, in some ways worse than RID. RID rarely addressed the wrong characters and had a plot that made more sense than "find the minicons!".

plasticfetish
10-01-2002, 06:04 PM
I haven't even seen pics of Liftor yet. Is there a new catalog and comic with him?

No. No new comic and no catalog. Smokescreen is the crane and Liftor is the mini-con forklift (a crane named "Smokescreen"?)

The show is an abomination to me, in some ways worse than RID. RID rarely addressed the wrong characters and had a plot that made more sense than "find the minicons!".

Yeah. I noticed at least one big continuity problem with the last episode I watched. No doubt the edit into the american version is to blame. (I wonder if it's an hour show in Japan.) But again ... this one is ALL for the kids and as it is, it's not the worst thing I've seen on the Cartoon Network or Fox lately. (But yeah, it could be better.) I've only seen one episode and though I think the animation is pretty good (ok, fair) ... we're still trying to figure out the story and ... why the kids? My son even asked what they were doing on the show (which is funny from a 5 year old.)
him: "won't they get hurt?"
me: "Um ... I hope so."

JediTricks
10-01-2002, 07:02 PM
This is being discussed in a parallel thread in OTHER TOYS so pardon me if I repeat myself, but I believe the show is being written here and then sent to Japan to be animated.

RID and Armada are more Digimon than Decepticon. :D