PDA

View Full Version : SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Quarterfinals - Fight 4!!!

Tycho
06-14-2002, 05:02 AM
Well, heh-heh-heh-he-hee-he. We've got a new Quarterfinal Match speeding it's way to you again tonight! (along with my terrible sense of humor and my nerdiness confirmed!).

Well, one thing's for sure: this race should bring back a sense of deja vu for Obi-Wan! But maybe after doing Driver Education with his father, this is the best way for Obi-Wan to give driving lessons to Luke. (see the picture!)

In tonight's challenge, Zam Wessel's airspeeder takes on Luke Skywalker's landspeeder. (I guess Zam graduated so she doesn't need her set of training wheels).

The Landspeeder seats 2 action figures in the front, while 2 more, including droids, can ride on the back behind the seats. Spring-loaded wheels help the Landspeeder look like it's floating as it rolls over hardfloors. But for fun spin-outs on the rug, shift the drive gear back and the wheels hide inside for the least resistance on carpeting. Pop open the hood to make engine repairs, or at least admire the decale that lets you pretend that's what you're doing. Luke's Landspeeder is also detailed with one engine panel removed, the turbine exposed for added realism.
The Landspeeder beat Naboo's Flash Speeder 51-20 for a win carrying over 71% of the votes.

Zam Wessel's flashy green and yellow speeder holds one action figure in its opening cockpit, and features a detailed interior with adjustable steering controls and foot pedals. But the craft's most ingenious play feature is its crash 'n bash action that lets you smash the front end of the speeder in, with engine panels flying off, simulating a crash just like in the movie! Each side operates independently, so you decide the amount of damage that is done during the dangerous work of that of a bounty hunter! At the press of a button, the vehicle repairs itself! Also note, for play value, you can glide Zam's speeder smoothly across most carpeting, too. Zam's Speeder beat Anakin Skywalker's airspeeder 103-49, with the bounty hunter carrying over 67% of the votes cast in that battle.

So which one's your favorite?

You decide now!

jedi master sal
06-14-2002, 08:29 AM
I'd have to say Zam's speeder. Sleek and cool crash function (although i foresee that, if you play with it too much, it will crack and break. I highly suggest that if you bought either or both of Zam's/Anakin's speeder to keep one in the package. this will deter the softer rubber from drying out and cracking, but she (ZAM) has the better toy between her and Luke's. Luke has that retro feel (NOW) but doesn't seem to do very much beyond look cool.

Rogue II
06-14-2002, 08:32 AM
I like Luke's Landspeeder because figures fit into it. Of course, Hasbro still needs to make a soft goods Ben Kenobi so he can get in there wile wearing his robes, but that's a different issue.

The Landspeeder was my first vehicle as a kid back in 1977, and it was the first vehicle I bought in the POTF2 line.

bigbarada
06-14-2002, 10:32 AM
I pick the Luke's landspeeder also. Compatability with figures is the most important feature of any vehicle to me. More important than accuracy and scale.

Besides I prefer the wheels on the bottom of the landspeeder and I really like the "floating" feature.

NiktosRule
06-14-2002, 10:56 AM
I have to go with Zam's even though I have yet to open it. It is a much nicer looking toy and has more play value. You can imitate the courscant chase with Anakin's speeder.

Luke's speeder is just too plain looking and in the movie nothing exciting happens with his speeder. He simply drives it in the desert.

Runobot
06-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Had to vote for the land speeder only because the figure fits in there. In every other aspect Zam's speeder wins hands down.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-14-2002, 11:41 AM
Many of you guys are going to dis me for saying this, but I picked Zam's speeder over the Landspeeder simply on its looks. This was an extremely hard one to pick for me for the following reasons:

Landspeeder
Can fit four figures, although the back two fit poorly
Floating capability
Good realism/appearance to movie version
I could care less about the hood, but it's a nice touch

Zam's Speeder
Fits Zam really well
Sleek look
Crash 'n Bash feature is so kickin.
Also reproduced well from the movie

IMO they're matched up equally, but I give the edge to the Zam Speeder just because it looks more attractive than the Landspeeder.

Call me superficial but that's how I have to boil down my vote.

Adam
06-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Props go to Zams speedster. Nice design, and the green gets to me somehow..

MikeAndTheBots
06-14-2002, 03:34 PM
Luke's speeder. Something about, not sure what but I just can't vote for Zam's Speeder of the landspeeder....

chrisc
06-14-2002, 06:55 PM
I'm goin for Zams speeder. It looks better than Lukes and has more playability. Now as for getting Zam in there right I won't even discuss that

Darth Tornado
06-14-2002, 09:10 PM
I choose Lukes speeder. It is the classic vehicle i have grown up with. Zams may be a better toy but Lukes speeder is a very nostalgic item and that is the reason i began collecting the new figures. Its too bad the windshield is too low though(wouldnt want to be in it in a sand storm.:(

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 03:05 AM
All this and a hotwheels joke too? ;) To this day, I've yet to get a Treasure Hunt.

I voted for Zam's machine for one simple reason - it's complete. This was such a close match for me because I like both, but they suffer from very similar problems - they're both so badly out of scale that they cannot house figures well.

The Luke speeder was a favorite of mine as a kid, but the POTF2 version feels like a cheap remold, the main gimmick (the retracting "floaty" wheels) isn't nearly as smooth as the vintage one. Also, while the paint is better than its 1978 counterpart, Hasbro should have found a way to make the windshield bigger - it was too small then and it's too small now. Also, the modern figures have a hard time fitting into the seats. Finally, the reason I think it's incomplete is because of the backs of the seats, which have the pegs for the droids' foot-holes, but really just look cheesy all open like that. Luke's landspeeder deserves better these days.

Zam's speeder may be way small, but its gimmicks are fairly spot-on and it looks like a finished thing even with the figure inside (just don't look too hard ;)). The cockpit really bothers me once the figure is using it, but ultimately it wins by being a complete toy out of the box.

This battle was way tough for me, and reading these posts and seeing those votes, it looks like I'm not alone there - this is a tough choice.

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 04:24 AM
Holy patootie! My vote just pushed Luke up 65 to Zam's 64!! What a close race! I voted Landspeeder probably because of some childish (er..childHOOD) devotion to the Classics. Both have semi-nifty play features (that "crushed" bumper effect is very clever). But ultimately my stuff sits on the shelf unplayed with and my landspeeder looks way cooler next to Luke, Ben, and the droids overlooking Mos Eisley then Zam's speeder does just sitting on the shelf.

Go Landspeeder!

dr_evazan22
06-16-2002, 03:55 PM
This was a photo finish, and Luke's speeder won.

I would have preferred that Zam's speeder not have that (IMO) icky rubber. Also, I had a really hard time getting Zam to sit correctly.

Tycho
08-09-2002, 02:49 PM
I'd voted for Zam's speeder, too. I love the new innovative crash feature and keep playing with mine! It's also fast if you "fly" it across smooth carpeting, and it can spinout too! Plus I like bounty hunters and it's new. This was a tough vote, and a close one. I didn't want to interfere with the competition, so that's why I'm revealing my vote now. Turns out, I picked the loser, and Luke's speeder did pretty well.