PDA

View Full Version : Air we go again! Michael Jordan is BACK!

SirSteve
09-25-2001, 05:26 PM
"I am returning as a player to the game I love," Jordan said in a news release issued through his management agency that confirmed the worst-kept secret in basketball.

Jordan will donate his entire salary for the upcoming season to relief agencies working with the victims of the terrorist attacks on Washington and New York, said Estee Portnoy, a spokeswoman for SFX, Jordan's management agency.

"I am especially excited about the Washington Wizards, and I'm convinced we have the foundation on which to build a playoff-contention team," Jordan said. "The opportunity to teach our young players and help them elevate their game to a higher level, and to thank the fans in Washington for their loyalty and support, strongly influenced my decision."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As a long-time Jordan fan, I wish he had not have done this. He went out perfectly. I am not saying he can't do it again; I just hope he is at least 75% of the player he once was.

El Chuxter
09-25-2001, 05:38 PM
Michael Jordan--the only guy to retire and come back more times than Ozzy Osbourne! :D

Though I commend his donating his salary to charity, I lost a lot of respect after the "My father saw my last game, and that means a lot to me"/"Okay, I'm back!" pseudo-retirement a few years ago.

Mike Troxell
09-25-2001, 07:15 PM
EC, I think you're forgetting Ross "I'm in the race. Oh no, now I'm out" Perot.

GNT
09-26-2001, 01:45 AM
Can't Michael Jordan make up his mind on what he wants to do?!?!?

TeeEye7
09-26-2001, 05:09 AM
....I can't say it any better than you did. I am dismayed at his decision to come back. His exit was, as you said, 'perfect'. Why alter the history of his playing career.

I'm reminded of President Theodore Roosevelt's attempt to regain the presidency (again) after serving his 1+ terms. He came off as a chump, not a champ. I think it's a mistake.

Lobito
09-26-2001, 12:08 PM
I also think that MJ should have stayed in retirement, but hes back again...the donation of his salary is an excellent idea and maybe just maybe he might surprise us again...:)

Eternal Padawan
09-26-2001, 04:40 PM
Well, darnit, those Commemorative Silver Wheaties Boxes I bought are gonna drop in value again...:rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2001, 06:57 PM
I'm reminded of President Theodore Roosevelt's attempt to regain the presidency (again) after serving his 1+ terms.
Wow, TeeEye7! You're older than I thought! :p
And people here in SoCal said Magic Johnson was addicted to publicity...

Michael Jordan = Gordie Howe = Willie Mays (great players who can't let go)

TeeEye7
09-27-2001, 07:57 AM
B-CJ:

Yep. Ol' Teddy and I go 'way back! ;)

Obi-Don
09-27-2001, 10:17 AM
I'm going to play.I'm giving it up,I'm going to play. I to wish he would make up his mind.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2001, 06:18 PM
"Ted? Teddy Roosevelt?"
"You've had quite a day, young TeeEye. What brings you to sirstevesguide.com?"
"This thread. It says it belongs to someone named Theodore Roosevelt. I thought it might be a relative of yours or..."
"Theodore? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time. Long before you were born."
"Yep."
"That is not the way a Jedi Speaks, TeeEye."
"Jedi?"
"Speak softly, or I'll hit you with this big stick I'm carrying that looks like a lightsaber."
"Lightsaber?"
"Oh boy..."

:p :p :p ;) :) :D :D :D :eek:

Mandalorian Candidat
09-28-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Michael Jordan--the only guy to retire and come back more times than Ozzy Osbourne! :D

I think we're forgetting about the king of wannabe comebacks. Of course I speak of Magic "I can do a talkshow" Johnson.

I saw one of the funniest political cartoons I've ever seen yesterday about his comeback. It had the sillouette trademark of Air Jordan with a basketball in one hand and a cane in the other.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2001, 08:06 PM
A cane? A cane, Mand Cand? You could call a cane a "big stick," right? And old people, who needs canes, speak softly, too. Why does all this Jordan comeback talk come back to Teddy Roosevelt? MJ played for the Bulls; TR was in the Bull Moose Party. TR took a shot during a speech; MJ took LOTS of shots. Coincidence? Yep. ;)

2-1B
04-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Two stints on the IL later, I wonder if he shouldn't have come back. Yet he still finds ways to pile it on for a few games, even if he only plays less than a half. I just hope his next retirement is on his own terms, not dictated by his knee. :(

A former fan of the Blazers, that guy broke my heart - I never rooted for him as a Bull, but I do admire him. :)

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 04:21 PM
It was good living in Chicago for a while. Its something special when your city's team is the best there is. I was never even really a basketball fan, but everyone in this city loved the bulls' run.

Why can't we ever have more than one good team at a time? Although despite that Blues game last night, the BHawks have been doing well, and if it wasn't for the NFL conspiracy last season, the Bears would've at least made it to the NFC campionships.;) So that's 2 at a time, I guess.

notafinga
04-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Yea, Wolfwood. I'm actually from Rockford, IL, and was attending NIU during a good part of the Bulls run, and it was such an incredible experience watching them at the tavern with the other rowdy Bulls fans. I was never (and still am not) a big basketball fan myself, but that was an incredible team of character and last minute Jordan miracles (Utah Jazz).

Exciting stuff. The Bears impressed me this season, I'll be happy to see 'em on Monday Night Football again after the gloriously fruitless years under Dave Wandstat's tyranny.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Wolfy, the Bears should have been in the title game? Surely you jest! :D :D :D Contrary to Jauron and Shoop's beliefs, a team does need something resembling an offense. ;)

I expected a Bear/Packer MNF game this season, but I expected it to be in GB since Soldier Field is out of commission.

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Of course the Bears should've been in the NFC championship game! The only reason they weren't is because Miller got injured in the first quarter against Phily. If the Bears had had Miller throughout the game, they easily would've beat the Eagles. No question about it. And despite what the critics say, the Bears did have an offense. If you saw the Tampa Bay game, and some other games at the end of the season, you'd know what I was talking about.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
And despite what the critics say, the Bears did have an offense. If you saw the Tampa Bay game, and some other games at the end of the season, you'd know what I was talking about.

Yes, in a few games they showed some chops, but the game at Tampa would not even be considered had Marty not missed that FG attempt. I'm just bitter because in the two games I really wanted them to win (both vs. GB), they just stunk. I hope they stick it to the Packers on MNF this season, and a win at Lambeau would be nice too. :)

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 09:22 PM
I love the Gramatica Brothers!!! They're the funniest players in the NFL today! What other player has ever gotten injured while celebrating a field goal. ESPN Classic should show that clip at least once a day.

I do admit though that because of the Bears previously losing season, that they played mostly mediocore teams last season. The highest calibur team they played was the Packers, and we all know the outcome of both outings. So they will definately be tested next season a lot more than last.

Man I hate the packers....:frus: I'm pretty sure that its genetic. Your born in Chicago, you just don't like the Packers.