PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Available News Accuracy?????

stillakid
06-14-2002, 11:39 AM
This is in regards to the following item that appears on the home page of SSG right now:

Stormtrooper Troop Builder Set and Jorg Sacul is in stock now.
R2DToys.com has received both in stock directly from Hasbro. The Stormtroopers are a Fan Club exclusive and Jorg Sacul was a Star Wars Celebration II Exclusive. If you order, please tell them SirStevesGuide.com sent you!

The Stormtrooper Builder set direct from Hasbro is one thing (yet still suspect), but R2DToys is claiming that they got a shipment of Jorg Sacul's direct from Hasbro?!!! Unless there was a change in policy since Celebration, I would consider that an out and out lie and I'm surprised that the News Staff at SSG would agree to post it.

Thoughts? Am I wrong? Right? Lacking vital insider information?

Mandalorian Candidat
06-14-2002, 11:54 AM
I just scoped out the R2Dtoys website and they have a link to the front page for the Jorg figure. Guess how much they're scalping, er, selling them for. $85!!!

What a freaking joke! I like how their "news" item says it was a SW C2 exclusive. How many people were there, waited in line to pay solely $6 or $7, then didn't get a single one? Now if they want one they have to shell out mega bucks to these jokers.

If this had happened to me I would be even more ****ed than I am.

Plus, it was supposed to be an exclusive. You had to shell out $ for admission, a hotel, airfare, meals, and put up with WOTC's nonsense just to have the privilege of buying a couple of these puppies. Now WOTC is selling out to some greedy punks.

If they were really concerned about helping out the collector why didn't they sell all of them at C2 or offer them on their website solely?

First it was their condescending and denegrating article about how we are slaves to Hasbro's crappy distribution and now playing everyone for suckers.

I pray that some decent people take over this line and put Hasbro down for good!

lunchymeatball
06-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Plus if they are getting from Hasbro why are they charging 59 a go.:Pirate:

stillakid
06-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by lunchymeatball
Plus if they are getting from Hasbro why are they charging 59 a go.:Pirate:

That's what I'm getting at. I don't believe that they got them direct from Hasbro at all, rather "direct" from WOTC (at Celebration). This is no more than an "official" scalping site endorsed by SSG.

Lord Tenebrous
06-14-2002, 12:21 PM
SSG isn't a news site. That would involve correct information and an acceptable style of writing.

I read it mostly to practice my proofreading skills.

stillakid
06-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
SSG isn't a news site. That would involve correct information and an acceptable style of writing.

I read it mostly to practice my proofreading skills.

LOL!!! You're dead on there, including the forums. Thanks. I definitely needed a laugh this morning. :)

JEDIpartner
06-14-2002, 02:06 PM
proofreading... (snicker snicker snicker)

LTBasker
06-14-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
What a freaking joke! I like how their "news" item says it was a SW C2 exclusive. How many people were there, waited in line to pay solely $6 or $7, then didn't get a single one? Now if they want one they have to shell out mega bucks to these jokers.

Even if they had the supply, the people paying $6-7 wouldn't of gotten one, they were $10. ;)

jobi
06-14-2002, 04:24 PM
I understand people are mad. But after living in England, I know it's a real pain in the butt to get "exclusives". Why is everyone so mad, if you already have one great. Don't be mad at businesses for doing what they are supposed to do, sell things. If you don't Want to buy from them don't. And if you got one at C2 be happy, not everyone did.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-14-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by jobi
I understand people are mad. But after living in England, I know it's a real pain in the butt to get "exclusives". Why is everyone so mad, if you already have one great. Don't be mad at businesses for doing what they are supposed to do, sell things. If you don't Want to buy from them don't. And if you got one at C2 be happy, not everyone did.

This isn't a matter of "I have one and you don't, HA HA." It's really a matter of trust. WOTC/Fan Club promised fans a certain thing, then screwed them over. Yes they're a business, but why potentially alienate customers like this?

jobi
06-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

This isn't a matter of "I have one and you don't, HA HA." It's really a matter of trust. WOTC/Fan Club promised fans a certain thing, then screwed them over. Yes they're a business, but why potentially alienate customers like this?

I know what you mean, but I didn't trust these companies anyway. I find it hard to trust most businesses, they are all out to make a buck. They told everyone what they wanted to hear, and made loads of money. But it really isn't fair to European collectors to only have them at C2. There is a giant fanbase in Europe, so why shouldn't they get a chance at these figures to? Plus they are basically paying scalper prices anyway, and they didn't get the experience of C2(neither did I, but I found an awesome forum member that hooked me up for cost + shipping) Europe gets screwed a lot so don't be mad be happy that fellow collectors are getting these figs as well.

Now I'll step down from my soapbox.

Sidiously Darth
06-15-2002, 01:46 AM
Jobi, you make good points but even European collectors shouldn't have to pay that price for that figure. I don't have one and never will, unless some Divine Intervention occurs or somebody gives me one.:crazed:

I can definitly understand other member's reaction to the statements made by R2Dtoys. They're just like Brian's Toys... total ripoffs!!! Unfortunately, SSG posts their garbage to help pay for the site and keep it free for us.

Plus, I'd like to say the anger and resentment towards R2Dtoys and WOTC(if they truly had something to do with this) was, is and will be brought to you by the letters F & U!!!:mad:

2-1B
06-15-2002, 02:06 AM
Well said jobi,
the minute they said Sacul was going to be exclusive to C2 I nearly choked on the (grain of) salt block I took that info with. :D

85.55 USD ? :eek: And a buyer doesn't get eight and a half figures for that? :(

Mandalorian Candidat, you are right about alienation if they are really shipped direct from Hasbro. The Sacul issue was pretty heated, I think there will be some backlash.

Beast
06-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Actually, Hasbro said that the Jorg Sacul would not be avaliable for sale anywhere else but at C2. But, that it would occassionally show up for giveaways, contests, and such. Hasbro gave some UK retailers a case or two to give away to people that shopped in the stores, but apperantly R2DToys.com is trying to sell them instead. Which is totally spitting in the face of what Hasbro was trying to do, by letting UK retailers have them for giveaways. :mad: :greedy: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jobi
06-15-2002, 10:46 AM
I didn't mean it was ok to sell them for so much. I'm happy that European collectors have a chance at them.

I think it would be even better to have them "exclusive" at one of the big conventions or celebrations over there. The main thing you got to remember about "exclusives" is that doesn't really apply in Europe. Take for example there are no Target's, KB's, Wal-Marts, or FAO Schwarz. So the retailers get them from Hasbro, is this fair, I think so, because it isn't really fair for Hasbro to make exclusives. But what my parents always told me when I was whining about things being fair was "Life isn't fair"

So maybe we should all just hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :D :D :D

SirSteve
06-15-2002, 12:15 PM
USA and other countries have different "exclusives". I walked into Toy's "R" Us in Tokyo last month and seen tons of Snowspeeders, TIE Bombers and TIE Interceptors. Remember, no one is making you buy anything, we just point stuff out that may be of interest. I checked ebay and Jorg is going for $100+

Jargo
06-15-2002, 12:22 PM
R2DTOYS is definately selling them and they either got them direct from the factory and are lying about the Hasbro input, or they did get them from Hasbro like a few other UK retailers and are selling them in direct violation of the agreement with hasbro about using them only as giveaways.

There was another thread about this somewhere that I posted Hasbro UK's official word on this. They state that a large amount of the figur has been obtained to be given away in promotions or used in competitions - as a giveaway.

R2DTOYS is capitalising on the hyped up demand for this figure and in my opinion are asking the most disgusting price. I've defended R2DTOYS before now as I've always been treated fairly by them but this has blotted their copybook and I find it dispicable quite frankly that they would charge in the first place and then to charge so much.... I won't be using R2DTOYS again. I'm boycotting them outright. I understand that a certain other retailer will be getting the figure and wiill be giving it away as Hasbro intended. I hope this is true so that the citizens of the UK can get a chance to own this figure. Not many of us would have even come close to getting a slim chance of attending C2. This is the only realistic way we are ever likely to obtain the figure. I hope Hasbro does the same with the walmart exclusive figures and the accessory packs.

Maybe some of you feel that this should have stayed a C2 attendee exclusive. What would you have done with the leftover figures after Hasbro over ordered from the factory? Melt them down? I think this is a quite equitable solution. I'm not particularly in want of one myself but i know a lot of people who would have liked something of this nature at one of the UK conventions. If we had had an exclusive figure the feelings would have been strong from your side of the pond just the same. Difference is that for us, we have to pay extortionate amounts for all the Amaerican exclusives as it is. If the same were true over there I wonder how you would feel. I hear people complaining about the cost of figures and shake my head. In the UK we pay double that of the cost to Americans as routine. You hardly have anything to complain about on that score. Unless you feel that Hasbro should be giving all the products away.

I'm not having a go, just trying to present the flip side from the east side. :D

JON9000
06-15-2002, 01:26 PM
I am of the opinion that the figure should be available at regular stores rather than through specialty shops. I also think they should come in standard packaging- no Celebration II logo. That way those who braved long lines will not feel so cheated and everyone else will have a chance to own one. I think the current situation reflects the worst case scenario- Sacul is no longer exclusive and specialty retailers makeout like bandits.

I think WOTC is the real villain here. Specialty comic and toy stores are their bread and butter and they are simply scratching their backs.

Of course, if no one pays the silly price, the price will drop. But as we see on Ebay, folks are willing to pay stupid prices. Not me.

Lord Tenebrous
06-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Target basic prices:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=334

Newspaper flyers/circulars DO NOT take priority over headquarter decisions.

Arena description:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=336

Speculation and opinion, and a shoddy description for news purposes. Weren't you a little suspicious when jingofett refers to the Deluxe Threepio as "exclusive"?

Darth Annexis
06-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Leave it to Target to force more people to Wal-Mart to buy their figures...

It is accurate...Target's prices are back up again....

Beast
06-16-2002, 05:04 PM
I read a few reports that not all targets are re-raising for the ad. Some are, so it just depends how idiotic the store managers are. Pretty stupid to put somthing on sale, for more then the current store price anyway. :stupid: :greedy:

I don't buy the story about the Deluxe Battle Droid and C-3PO being included with the Arena Playset. Unless that is just for other countries, and not here.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Annexis
06-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I read a few reports that not all targets are re-raising for the ad. Some are, so it just depends how idiotic the store managers are. Pretty stupid to put somthing on sale, for more then the current store price anyway. :stupid: :greedy:

I don't buy the story about the Deluxe Battle Droid and C-3PO being included with the Arena Playset. Unless that is just for other countries, and not here.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Battle Droid and C3PO will be deluxe figures here in the USA!

Forhekset
06-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Darth Annexis
Leave it to Target to force more people to Wal-Mart to buy their figures...

It is accurate...Target's prices are back up again....

Not at my Target. I was there today - basic figs are $4.99. Although, my newspaper flyer listed them at $5.44? :confused:

Darth Annexis
06-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Not at my Target. I was there today - basic figs are $4.99.

Check Monday...you'll see...Damn Target!

Forhekset
06-16-2002, 05:11 PM

Check Monday...you'll see...Damn Target!

Stock up on army builders today, then. :)

Beast
06-16-2002, 05:12 PM
The Battle Droid and C3PO will be deluxe figures here in the USA!
Yeah I know that, but I am wondering now if they are going to be packins in China with the Arena Playset, or if the guy that reported the news to Sir Steve is full of it. Since the information is very vague, and I have heard no reports of the Arena playset including pack-in figures anywhere, I am finding the second option, most likely. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Annexis
06-16-2002, 05:20 PM

Yeah I know that, but I am wondering now if they are going to be packins in China with the Arena Playset, or if the guy that reported the news to Sir Steve is full of it. Since the information is very vague, and I have heard no reports of the Arena playset including pack-in figures anywhere, I am finding the second option, most likely. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I don't recall ever seeing something different from Hasbro in Asia than the USA...afterall the toys are made in Asia....why would they be different?

Beast
06-16-2002, 05:38 PM
I don't recall ever seeing something different from Hasbro in Asia than the USA...afterall the toys are made in Asia....why would they be different?
Well, Hasbro over there released the E1 figures packed with an exclusive Battle Droid. And then later figures were packed with exclusive Pit Droids and tool cases. So it has happened in the past. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Annexis
06-16-2002, 08:50 PM

Well, Hasbro over there released the E1 figures packed with an exclusive Battle Droid. And then later figures were packed with exclusive Pit Droids and tool cases. So it has happened in the past. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Those were just figs though...and I know that the international figs have different cards...but playsets and vehicles?

Mandalorian Candidat
06-17-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jobi

I know what you mean, but I didn't trust these companies anyway. I find it hard to trust most businesses, they are all out to make a buck. They told everyone what they wanted to hear, and made loads of money. But it really isn't fair to European collectors to only have them at C2. There is a giant fanbase in Europe, so why shouldn't they get a chance at these figures to? Plus they are basically paying scalper prices anyway, and they didn't get the experience of C2(neither did I, but I found an awesome forum member that hooked me up for cost + shipping) Europe gets screwed a lot so don't be mad be happy that fellow collectors are getting these figs as well.

Now I'll step down from my soapbox.

I'm not mad that Euro collectors are getting the figures, I'm upset that WOTC is being unfair to their C2 customers by doing one thing and saying another. About the whole exclusive thing, wasn't there a fairly large convention in Germany last year that had an exclusive C-3PO or some other figure?

Lord Tenebrous
06-17-2002, 06:52 PM
You're thinking about Jedi-Con 2001. Like Theatre Luke, this is one exclusive that relied completely on the box for collectability - it's the initial POTF2 Threepio.

http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=28920

Today, SSG is reporting the Dexter nose ring as a "variation"...I'd just blame it on more bad quality control, as you could easily look over it unless you knew it was there.