PDA

View Full Version : Since when does "exclusive" mean "available everywhere?"

4-Q-2
06-14-2002, 11:51 AM
I've gotta say, I am in full-fledged ****ed-off mode right now. I went to C2, and the first day I spent my first 2 hours on line at the store so that I could be sure to get my Jorg Sacul action figures. I got them, and I was happy because I knew they would only be sold there. And then I find out that scalpers were paying upwards of $50 at the convention for the figure. No big deal, I expect that. And now the Fan Club & Hasbro are shipping them out to retailers. Why did I waste my time on line when I could have just waited a month and bought them for slightly more? I have never been a big fan of exclusives, but I understood them for marketing reasons. Fine. But this one was supposed to be for the die-hard fans who went to Indy (some from across the country, and some from other countries), and now we have been cheated of our bragging rights and our pride by a greedy company. Some people will say that they want one too, but they couldn't go to C2. Well that is a shame, but tough s@@@. If you want them that badly, go buy them off e-bay. The store (and thus Hasbro & WotC) did such a bad job with the 2-figures-per-person limit, I'd bet half of the ones sold at C2 are on e-bay. But that is a different rant.

brentfett
06-14-2002, 11:55 AM
I can understand why you'd be PO'd, but for the other 99.9% of us star wars fans who didn't go to C2, I'm sure we'd all like a Sacul. I don't think it's fair the retailers that do get the Sacul in should mark it up though. I mean, weren't these things 10 bucks at C2?

4-Q-2
06-14-2002, 12:03 PM
First, yes they were $10 at C2. As far as the fans who didn't get one because they didn't/couldn't go to the convention . . . well, to be blunt, sucks to be you. I am not trying to be mean. Hasbro said time and time again that the figure would never be available outside the convention. That is the point of being exclusive. Why bother making something exclusive, promoting it as such, then turning around and destroying the collectability of that item by offering it to retailers?

Orn Free Taa
06-14-2002, 12:05 PM
You have got to be kidding me. I was one of the stupid @$*&^@ heads who bought the figure BEFORE the convention on E-bay, paying $90 for it, and getting it in only about C8.5-C9 condition. :mad: Needless to say, I wasn't too happy to see 600 of them up on E-bay during and after the convention for $50-60. And now they're going to be all over the place. Grrr... :frus:

I'm not a happy camper. :(

Lord Tenebrous
06-14-2002, 12:11 PM
Um, it's $88.55 at R2Dtoys. That's nowhere near Hasbro's suggested retail price, so don't even bother with them.

And TF Vader was only in Spain at retail, nothing wrong with that.

Taichi
06-14-2002, 12:23 PM
No, IT SUCKS TO BE YOU!!!!

see, because we get Sacul now....and therefore your "Priceless Collectable" becomes something that EVERYBODY can have.....

which means, that not only did you overpay, but the scalpers on Ebay will no longer have a stranglehold on the distribution.....

ain't capitalism grand?

icatch9
06-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Where is this being sold at? R2DToys is charging a price that is way out of range. So, is Brianstoys and every other pro scalper site. So, how does that make it better? Where did you see this beign sold at retail? Please clue in the rest of us.

Thanks,

Mandalorian Candidat
06-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Like 4Q2, I'm pretty livid over this whole thing. I didn't go to C2, but if I was told that Jorg was supposed to be an exclusive I would be beside myself at this little tidbit. You wait in line forever, then possibly don't get the figure so some penis wrinkle can get them from WOTC and scalp them later on?! How would you feel if you got the shaft twice?

Stillakid started a thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10326) on this earlier, so I ranted there too.

LTBasker
06-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Exclusives like that are stupid, and the thing is, alot of collectors who DID go to Celebration II lost out on Sacul due to BAD planning by Hasbro and people getting back in line for more than 2 a day.

I can understand exclusives when it comes to the only way to get something out like the Carbon Freeze Chamber or the TIE Bomber, but when it comes to Exclusives that make collectors have to fight scalpers and spend a bunch for the exclusive it IS ridiculous.

Orn Free Taa
06-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
No, IT SUCKS TO BE YOU!!!!

see, because we get Sacul now....and therefore your "Priceless Collectable" becomes something that EVERYBODY can have.....

which means, that not only did you overpay, but the scalpers on Ebay will no longer have a stranglehold on the distribution.....

ain't capitalism grand?

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

DarthBrandon
06-14-2002, 03:09 PM
I have never believed in Hasbro on anything, they lie like cheap rugs. They will never have an exclusive that is totally exclusive. They lie, and mislead the collectors all the time. This is just a ploy to sell alot of figures at once only to release them to the rest of the public later on and make more $$$$$.They can't even get the figures the way we want them. Hasbro bottom line will do whatever they want, we have no say in the matter right now.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-14-2002, 04:40 PM
I think in this case people are actually unfairly blaming Hasbro where they should be pointing the finger (or giving it) at WOTC. JT, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hasbro only made the figure at WOTC's a.k.a. Fan Club's, request and WOTC was in charge of distribution.

Sounds to me like WOTC had either extras or asked Hasbro to make more then sold them to those R2.com pukes. For how much I don't know, but someone's making out like a friggin bandit.

stad
06-14-2002, 04:52 PM
Are these actually being shipped to retailers, or are we just talking about R2Toys here? At their price, they might just have bought them from people selling them. I haven't seen anything about the Sacul figure shipping to anyone.

QLD
06-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Personally, I think it's great. I hope they release thousands of them. What is the big deal in having an exclusive figure? I hear everyone always complain about how there isnt enough of ___ to go around. Then, when they decide to make enough of ___, people get mad because they paid through the Wazoo to get ___ and are peeved at their impatience.

*sigh*

fourtwo
06-14-2002, 05:14 PM
i never heard they were releasing these to retailers. maybe some of us who can't afford to go to celebration II can get a chance at that fig at a resonable price.

Slacker Jedi
06-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Hey, wait a minute, as far as I know, this uproar is because that British website is offering Saculs for a price that is slightly higher than what they go on eBay for...
I don't see what the big deal is. Most people who haven't got one yet and are willing to pay $50+ can still get it for cheaper on eBay, or am I wrong?

4-Q-2
06-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Well Taichi, I think you may be overreacting a little bit. First of all, I never said "priceless collectable." I was simply stating that limited quantity and availability (exclusives) adds to the collectability of an item such as the Jorg Sacul figure. I am not a fan of exclusives either, although (as I said in one of my posts) I do understand them from a marketing and from a collectability POV. Second of all, there is no need to shout. When I wrote, "sucks to be you," my message was simply this: if you cannot be there to get the convention exclusive figure, then you should not be able to get one through mainstream markets. There is no way to stop the e-bay scalpers (although enforcing the 2-per person limit at C2 would have helped a great deal), but Hasbro has broken their promise to not distribute through any medium other than C2. Third of all, I did not "overpay" for mine. I paid $10 each at the convention that I paid to attend and drove to get to, and I paid 2+ hours of my time on line. That's it. So please, before you brag and shout again, take the time to read the posts and think about what has been said before screaming a nasty reply. Besides, the figure isn't that cool anyway.

Beast
06-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 4-Q-2
There is no way to stop the e-bay scalpers (although enforcing the 2-per person limit at C2 would have helped a great deal), but Hasbro has broken their promise to not distribute through any medium other than C2.
4-Q-2, you are incorrect in what you just posted. Hasbro said that they would not offer the figure for sale, thru any other way or thru the fan club. They went on to say, that the figure would be available thru speical giveaways, offers, and other similar ways. Hasbro gave some UK retailers a case or two to give away to people that shopped in the stores, but apperantly R2DToys.com is trying to sell them instead. Which is totally spitting in the face of what Hasbro was trying to do, by letting UK retailers have them for giveaways. :mad: :greedy: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-15-2002, 06:52 PM
ANd who can blame them. Wow, 80 bucks a pop. Sad thing is, people are willing to pay it with a smile on their face.

LTBasker
06-15-2002, 07:02 PM
I'm sure some of'em ended up on ebay too for "reimbursment" of the money the person HAD to spend to put it on ebay. :rolleyes:

A'Sharad Hett
06-15-2002, 11:23 PM
well jeez, I hope this trend follows, I really want 12" Plo Koon and Ki, but I'm not a fan club member.

SplFrcsCWO
06-16-2002, 02:01 AM
So, is Jorg Sacul going to be released via "normal" retailers?

Beast
06-16-2002, 02:13 AM
No, Jorg Sacul will not be made avaliable via normal retail. Don't worry though, knowing how the prices for older figures are, I expect Jorg to stabalise and even drop in the future. After all, look at the Theater Edition Luke Skywalker. That thing went from 100, to 75, to now usually selling for around 45.00. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

4-Q-2
06-17-2002, 12:30 PM
JarJarBinks - thanks for the clarification. I still think it is hypocratic to call something an "exclusive" and then distribute it through other sources. I don't mind the overseas selling too much, since C2 was in the US and it was too much to ask of most fans outside the continental US to attend. I guess in some ways I am still ticked at the huge quantities of e-bay Saculs I am seeing. I don't know if you were at the convention, but this element of it was the most disappointing for me. People walking around with shopping bags full of Saculs & talking about how much money they would make, while others at the convention were mumbling about how they didn't get one because they ran out. What's my point? I'm not sure, but I guess I'm disappointed in Hasbro for the way the entire thing was handled, from the C2 limit of 2 per person to the e-bay overload to the virtual destruction of the collectability of the item. The worst part - I still have to support them because I want to keep buying my figures. It is because of things like this that I stopped playing the CCG by Decipher. What's next - special chase figures with holographic backrounds limited to only 1 per case?

abell748
06-17-2002, 01:25 PM
I do not blame Hasbro for the people who bought bags full of Saculs. According to a WOTC employee some of us spoke to while waiting to get in said that they were going to put a punch of some sort on your pass to show that you already bought your figure limit for that day. To make it worse, on Sunday some C2 store workers ignored the two a person limit. WOTC dropped the ball worse than Hasbro did.

pthfnder89
06-17-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
No, Jorg Sacul will not be made avaliable via normal retail. Don't worry though, knowing how the prices for older figures are, I expect Jorg to stabalise and even drop in the future. After all, look at the Theater Edition Luke Skywalker. That thing went from 100, to 75, to now usually selling for around 45.00. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exactly. I haven't bought a Sacul yet and I'm waiting to see what happens in a few months when all the clamour dies down.

I took 2 friends with me to see ROTJ : SE on opening night because I wanted to make sure I got my Theater Luke and probably theirs too. It half worked; one friend opened his, and the other gave me his. I laughed because several guys immediately started working the line buying them off parents and noncollectors for $15-20, and when we finally went into the theater I noticed that some people actually already had them wrapped up in protective cases they had brought with them.:rolleyes:

Anyway, even though I took my friends in order to get a couple extra figures, I never intended to sell them, they were for my collection and they stayed there. I passed up offers of $300 for them even knowing that the price would go down in a few months.

I don't begrudge anyone their right to pay insane prices for a Jorg Sacul figure. But if they are selling for $35 in a few months I'm also not going to feel the least bit sorry for someone who bought one for $85.:rolleyes:

evenflow
06-17-2002, 03:00 PM
I hate when exclusives are found everywhere after they are not supposed to be.

OC47150
06-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Abell, your comment from the WOTC guy and punching/stamping the pass is the first I've heard of. Personally, I think they should've done something like that at C2. I went to the store first (a lesson my friend and I learned from the Denver show), got our stuff and dropped it off at the hotel.

I heard that XXX amount of Sacul figures were set aside each day, and that 26,000 - 30,000 were manufactured. I know each day at C2 the figures sold out earlier and earlier.

I ran into one guy who'd purchased eight figures, and heard stories (unconfirmed, of course) of people walking around with CASES!

Wolfwood
06-17-2002, 06:02 PM
i hope they flood the market to the point that it disgusts the scalpers.