PDA

View Full Version : Still not a decent Han Solo sculpt.

buba-fatt
09-25-2001, 07:21 PM
Why cant Hasbro sculpt a decent looking Harison Ford head? I just saw the new stormy Han head and it looks like its imploding, or been run over by a truck. All of the Han heads so far have been excellent likenesses...... of other actors. The first one(ANH and Hoth) looked like David Duchoviny. The second(Carbon froze and Bespin) looked like Tommy Lee Jones. The third one(trench coat) is a dead on likeness of Tim Allen. I was really looking forword to a new sculpt for the stormy Han but Hasbro dropped the ball once again. I have been in need of a good sculpt of Fords head to make a custom Indy Jones from but since Indy and Marion didnt suffer the same fate as the Nazies at the end of Raiders did, I have no need of the newest 12" Han.

bigbarada
09-25-2001, 10:43 PM
The biggest problem with the 12" line is the roto-molded heads. Even the best sculpts can be ruined by this process, however a solid plastic head, like the ones they use for 3 3/4" figures, would make the figure top-heavy and unstable. So, it's kind of just a fact of life for large size figures. The toy manufacturer has no idea what the finished product of the roto-molding process will look like until production starts. Which, of course, is too late. However, Hasbro is not going to take a financial bath to recall a toy based on purely asthetic reasons.

GNT
09-26-2001, 01:51 AM
If they can't do better,I'd like to see you do a better job than what Hasbro designers have created :)

There never going to get it right but hey it doesn't matter that much?

JediTricks
09-26-2001, 06:55 AM
I have to move this to the POTJ section.

As for the Harrison Ford face, I guess his face is hard to capture, I've only seen ONE toy that ever got his face really dead-on accurate, and it was $300 and super limited (Toys McCoy's 12" Indy). I don't think toy designers have the ability to capture Ford's complicated face.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2001, 09:56 AM
Complicated? I'm sure that's a compliment! :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty true... I mean... look at the Queen Amidala Portrait Edition 12" line... they did a great job on those and the 12" E1 Obi-Wan wasn't too bad... although his face was a little wide. Overall they have done a rather decent job on many of the figures. I think that there are certain nuances that are missed by the sculptors and, therefore, that results in a less than accurate sculpt.

As far as the head implosion thing... that is a result of the plastic and the air inside of it cooling. That can drastically alter the "shape" of the finished head. Better luck next time... I hope!

JediCole
09-26-2001, 10:28 AM
The quest continues for a decent Han head, eh Bubba? Perhaps you should just have a Tim Allen as Indiana Jones figure. Or maybe you can get some spackle and make a new Batman Forever Two-Face.
By the way, did you happen to see (and perhaps obtain for me) a Death Star Trooper and/or Droid?

buba-fatt
09-26-2001, 10:01 PM
I saw the ones at the toy show but Han is the only one Ive seen on the shelves. I have already witnessed the old buy/switch/return on Han. apparantly some bum liked the new sculpt and replaced it with Moulder. As, I believe, Tricks mentioned the Toys McCoy head is very accurate but this Scottsman wont put out $300, much less the $800 it takes to purchase the figure. As for now, i guess I could make a really good Jason Taggart from Galaxyquest.

Emperor Howdy
09-27-2001, 01:26 AM
Complicated? That's what sculptors do for a living. It's just that the guy who molds Han's face is the same guy who does Mr. Potato Head....what do you expect?

GNT
09-27-2001, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Complicated? That's what sculptors do for a living. It's just that the guy who molds Han's face is the same guy who does Mr. Potato Head....what do you expect?

But Mr. Potato Head had his parts stolen so his sculptor was very upset and refused to make a good head sculpt :)

El Chuxter
09-27-2001, 11:59 AM
I like to take my Michael Kelso: Death Star Escape and display it with Eric Foreman: Purchase of the Droids as if they're rescuing Donna Pinsikati (sp?): Emperor's Hand from Fez: Rebel Pilots 3-pack. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
09-27-2001, 06:19 PM
I really like my DSE Han. It does an awesome impression of the 'Dude, Where's My Car?' guy. Maybe Hasbro will come out with a Luke that looks like the blonde guy and I can tattoo their backs with 'Dude' and 'Sweet.'

Tycho
09-28-2001, 04:31 AM
I agree that the 12" Han Carbonite and Bespin are THE WORST sculpts of Han - but not only that - they are the worst sculpts in the 12" line.

If any re-issuing of previously offered figures (in multi-packs) is done, I would like to see a good Bepsin Han with a new head sculpt. ANH / Hoth wasn't so bad, neither is Endor (though the greater of two evils).

The vintage Han really was pretty good, and I look back on it with nostalgic fondness, but I can live with the ANH / Hoth one and can like it, too.

Redo Bespin, Hasbro!

OC47150
09-28-2001, 10:10 AM
I have to agree with you, guys. There hasn't been a decent 12" Han to date. I always thought his nose was too prominent. When the first 12" Han came out several years ago, I took off the clothes and put them on the original Han figure from 20 years ago. (Am I showing my age with that comment?)

The best 3 3/4" Han was the Cantina Han with removable blaster, IMHO.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-28-2001, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by OC47150
The best 3 3/4" Han was the Cantina Han with removable blaster, IMHO.

Yeah, I agree. The CTC Han is the best hands down. The head's sculpt is fairly close to HF's and the articulation's great in that you can not only pose him in the cantina scene diorama but also in an action pose. Plus the holstered blaster is a major asset IMO.

The only negative is the voice on the CTC, which is not the sculptor's fault.

I maintain that this is one of the best SW figures of all time.

OC47150
09-28-2001, 12:16 PM
I have the commchip reader but I've never listened to any of the chips. The chips are used as stands until I can get some better ones.

GNT
09-29-2001, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I maintain that this is one of the best SW figures of all time.

Probably the best Han Solo sculp but not the "best" figure since the begining :)