PDA

View Full Version : Muppets DVDs

2-1B
06-15-2002, 12:43 AM
2 questions, why isn't the series available in stores (who is selling them, Columbia House? :confused: ) and why must they make this so difficult?

I remember hearing about them awhile back, and last weekend I looked around at Best Buy, no copies there and a few online searches yielded poor results. I just checked eBay now, and there are several available. One seller claimed they were not available in stores . . . .

I should very much like to purchase the discs with Alice Cooper and Mark Hammill, I'm sad that they are not available in stores. :(

:mad:

Beast
06-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Hey Caeser, good news for ya. Currently they are only avaliable from Time Life Video. But, Thedigitalbits (I believe) announced that they were going to start selling them in stores very soon. And the first 2 volumes coming out, the second one is the Star Wars/Mark Hammil one. Lemme dig up the news for you really quick. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Found it, I was wrong. It was posted at DVDAngle.com. :)

It's the Muppet Show: Ladies and gentlemen...boys and girls...Muppet lovers take note. Columbia/Tristar has announced they will begin releasing Best of The Muppet Show DVD's on 09/03 for $24.95 each. These will be the exact same discs currently available from Time Life Video (episodes presented in their original full frame aspect ratio and original mono audio). Best of The Muppet Show Volume 1 (with the Elton John, Julie Andrews, and Gene Kelly episodes) and Best of The Muppet Show Volume 2 (with the Mark Hamill, Paul Simon, and Raquel Welch episodes) will be the first 2 installments. Future installments will be released shortly after -- there are currently 10 DVD's in the collection and 10 more are in production.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-15-2002, 12:51 AM
I searched "The Bits" and found nothing there, that's the first place I usually check.

Man, I can't wait to see Alice singing "Nightmare" surrounded by muppets ! ! ! :D

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 02:32 AM
So they must have missed the memo that said everyone wants SEASON SETS of old TV Shows, not random BEST OF discs. I'll just wait until they get the memo... :rolleyes:

JediTricks
06-15-2002, 03:34 AM
oooh, original MONO audio! :D I've been thinking about getting these, I'm glad to see they're getting a shot at stores.

PS - should I move this thread to MISC since it's not technically about movies, or should it stay?

PPS - is the first Muppet Movie on DVD?

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 03:50 AM
So far, The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets From Space are on DVD.

The Muppet Movie has a bunch of hilarious test footage with Frank Oz and Jim Henson (as Fozzie and Kermit) to see if they could do the muppets outdoors. They are completely winging it and it is as funny as anything in the film.

2-1B
06-15-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
PS - should I move this thread to MISC since it's not technically about movies, or should it stay?

Oops! Sorry, it never occurred to me. When I asked the guy at Best Buy he led me directly to the Muppets movies (not what I was looking for) but I must have been thinking DVD = movie.

Thanks to you and Eternal Padawan, it is now partly about the movies. :D And the title is generic, so if I decide to come back later and say how much I love that little rat (Rizzo?) from Muppets From Space, I'll have a place to do that. :happy:

So, who is everyone's all time favorite Muppet?
Mine's easy, Rolf ! ! ! I've always loved that crazy hound, was he on the show a lot? I like him in the movies but don't remember much from the show.
JT, I should just buy the whole set. If I buy per volume, I'm only snagging ones with certain stars, but there has to be a lot of great stuff on every disc. :)

SithDroid
06-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Mine has to be a tie between Gonzo and Animal. I always loved those two the most.

EP - I also want SEASON BOX SETS. I hope they get the memo soon.;)

Beast
06-15-2002, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure season boxsets are feasible for the Muppet Show. Due to the large amount of copyrighted songs that have to be recleared for the episodes. That's why TV shows like WKRP and The Wonder Years, etc. have such trouble when they decide they wanna do DVD releases of them. Same reason why Beavis and Butthead hit a brick wall when they wanted to do DVD's of that. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
06-15-2002, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I would kill for a box set of beavis and butthead. But it doesn't sound feasable.

I love the Muppet Show. I might pick these up.

You know what my favorite Muppet Movie is? Actually it's the Muppet Christmas Carol. I thought it was VERY well done, including the songs. :D

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 06:46 PM
EP, thanks for letting me know about the Muppets films on DVD. I'll definitely be picking up The Muppet Movie and Muppets From Space when I get the chance - those 2 movies really get to me and are entertaining at the same time. I'm glad to hear about those extras on The Muppet Movie, that is something I cannot wait to see.

Caesar, no prob, I didn't automatically move it because it seemed like a tie-in to the movies and I wanted to make sure it was where it would be appropriate to the author's desire. Plus, this section isn't choking on new threads, so it's easier to wait. In most threads, it's fairly obvious, but with this OTHER MOVIES section, it's been a little different.

Rizzo the Rat was actually in Muppets Take Manhattan and on the first show as well, I think. As for shows, every one I ever saw had a few really brilliant moments, so they're all must-see.

I don't have a "favorite" muppet, I love so many of those characters. Original Kermit, when he was basically just an extension of Jim Henson's genius, has always been the real front-runner in this category though.

Rolf the Dog is the very first Muppet and was indeed one of the show's main characters. Sadly, after Jim Henson's death, Rolf was semi-retired, he has been used visually but I believe the character hasn't spoken since then.

Banthaholic
06-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Sorry to bring life to a dead thread, but lately I've been on a bit of a muppet kick. Funny seeing here hoping for the Muppet Show to come out on DVD, which last year season 1 did, and season 2 should hopefully be out sometime this year. That being said I'm also psyched for season 2 of Fragile Rock, but I'm hoping for some a DVD release of Muppet's Tonight. Any other Muppet fans out there?

2-1B
06-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Never apologize Banthaholic ! There's no such thing as a dead thread, only neglectful posters. :)

JimJamBonds
06-17-2006, 10:38 AM
I liked Muppets as a kid, I haven't picked up the DVD but everytime I see it I want to. :D

DarthQuack
06-17-2006, 03:22 PM
I've got the first season of Muppet Show as well as Fraggle Rock, I admit I haven't gotten the chance to watch all of them yet, but I do enjoy the ones I watched, and I also look forward to the hopeful release of Muppets Tonight.