PDA

View Full Version : lightsaber gimmicks

seanmcfripp
06-15-2002, 02:05 AM
What do you think the next "gimmick" will be? I always felt the first surprise was Luke's ROTJ saber being green. It was just one of those cool little curve balls that caught me off guard when I saw it in the theater at 6 years old. Maul's saber was an obvious choice, and Dooku's a little less expected. What's left to do? Hopefully nothing, in terms of lightsaber design at least. It really annoyed me a few years back when you'd hear rumors of Jedi wielding things like lightsaber axes and such in Episode 2. Or the one about Dooku's blade being shaped like a schimitar. The lightsaber is a sword plain and simple, with little room for variation in my opinion (other than color, hilt design, etc.).

Personally, I'd like to see lightsabers used in different ways (like the whole using two at once thing). I think it be really cool to expand on the throwing technique Vader used in ROTJ. If we get a chance to see Anakin/Vader actually taking on many Jedi at once (which I don't think we'll get to see, but maybe), it'd be interesting to see him use his lightsaber in that way. It would be a nice visual way to show that tapping into the dark side lets someone do some pretty wild stuff. I don't mean that it should fly around like a boomerang or anything. But it'd be cool to see the look on an opponents face when he does it (Yikes! No Jedi has ever done that before!) Anyone ever play Masters of Teras Kasi for Playstation? Remember that full-metered force move Luke and Vader can use? That's what I'm talking about. Just fight normally and then out of nowhere, let it go.

saladin
06-15-2002, 02:15 AM
I'd think it be cool to have a sber come up like a police club, from the arm, so they can still use the hand, or from above the knuckle for the same reason. At one time i thought of a whip but that woould be crazy, then i had the idea for a thing like Xena caries but only a small part is the handle and mostly the blade but i don't know about that or the whip. Let me know.

seanmcfripp
06-15-2002, 02:30 AM
Hmmm...Zena and Star Wars. I just had a brilliant idea. Let Sam Raimi direct SW3. Well, no. Maybe not so brilliant. Bruce Campbell would have to be in it. And that would be just too cool for words.

Maybe instead of getting a mechno-hand, Anakin could have a lightsaber chainsaw attatched to his wrist ala Ash from Army of Darkness. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

MikeAndTheBots
06-15-2002, 05:11 PM
Well a saber throw would be cool ala Jedi Knight 2. Is that what you meant with Vader in ROTJ Seanmcfripp? I haven't seen ROTJ in a while so this could be what you are talking about.

LTBasker
06-15-2002, 06:09 PM
I think the lightsaber "gimmick" will be Obi-Wan having his ANH saber.

DeadEye
06-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Vader did throw his saber in ROTJ, but unlike JK2, it only lasted a second, didn't spin, and didn't fly back into Vader's hand.

I think the "gimmick" will be more satisfying fights! :D :D :D

BlahBlahBlah
06-15-2002, 09:18 PM
Well, the most Jedi we've seen fighting a Sith lord have been two, Obi Wan and Qui Gonn versus Maul. I think it'd be great to see Vader take on five or six Jedi at a time, maybe while finishing off the council.

Imagine Plo Koon, Ki Adi Mundi, Kit Fisto, Adi Gallia, Aayala Secura, and other no-name Jedi attacking together, all at once, and Vader tossing them back and striking htem down like they're nothing.:eek:

DeadEye
06-15-2002, 09:52 PM
It'd be...different! :cool:

LTBasker
06-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Maybe we'll see the funky Jedi Council members like Oppo, Evan Piell, Adi, Depa, etc. fighting, lighting dueling. Perhaps they'll even bring back Yaddle and Yarael for it. :cool:

Beast
06-16-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Perhaps they'll even bring back Yaddle and Yarael for it. :cool:
What as? Statues, decaying corpses, or stuffed lightsaber testing dummies? :D They are dead LTBasker, face it and move on. It's not healthy to deny such things. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-16-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

What as? Statues, decaying corpses, or stuffed lightsaber testing dummies? :D They are dead LTBasker, face it and move on. It's not healthy to deny such things. ;) :D

"No... That's not true.. That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!"

Only to the EU...only to the EU. :happy:

C'mon, it'd be awesome seeing Yaddle with Yoda going wild on some Sith butt!

saladin
06-16-2002, 01:46 AM
i dout yaddle could comepare to yoda in any way, and it would be sweet to see Anakin charge through the jedi temple killing jedi left and right.

seanmcfripp
06-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
Well a saber throw would be cool ala Jedi Knight 2. Is that what you meant with Vader in ROTJ Seanmcfripp? I haven't seen ROTJ in a while so this could be what you are talking about.

Remember when Luke is standing up on the catwalk, saying how he won't fight Vader? Then Vader throws his saber at the catwalk and it falls. Not a very impressive throw (the saber maybe did one revolution, hit the catwalk, and then fell to the ground). What I'm suggesting is like what you mentioned for JK2. If we're lucky enough to see Vader taking on multiple oponents, he needs to pull out all the stops (think Neo and Trinity in the Matrix taking on the security forces in the lobby). I've got a feeling light side Jedi would never expect a move like the saber throw. In fact, because it would be so devastating if used, I'm sure it's a move that they're not even allowed to use (right up Anakin's alley, if you know what I mean). Showing a move like that on film would be the natural visual progression of Sith rule breaking for optimization of power in combat. Maul cheats with a double ended saber (very dangerous to use, but contolled with dark side attenuation); Dooku gains advantage with the curved hilt and Form 2 fighting style. Now we need to see Anakin/Vader earn his reputation. He needs to one-up these guys, big time. I'm sure Lucas will give us some cool stuff (he usually does). I've just wanted to see this for a long time.

DeadEye
06-16-2002, 12:48 PM
He'll probably just choke them all!

seanmcfripp
06-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
He'll probably just choke them all!

excerpt from Episode 3: Return of the Heimlich Manuever

scene: Vader is surrounded by several Jedi looking to subdue. Calmly, he pulls back his robe to reveal a belt full of jagged chicken bones and poorly chewed food. In a flash, Vader force-pushes a barrage of food detritis into the pallettes of his unwitting opponents. One by one they succumb to effects of asphixiation. end scene.

It is prophesised that he who has knowledge of the Heimlich Manuever will bring balance to the force.

DeadEye
06-16-2002, 01:36 PM
You know, they'd probably do something cheesy like that, so you're not that far off....

seanmcfripp
06-16-2002, 01:48 PM
No, not cheese. Chicken bones. Get it straight.

DeadEye
06-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Don't take that attitude with me!!!

Anywho, ok...so he'd do something "boney" like that...:rolleyes:

LTBasker
06-16-2002, 02:41 PM
CGI Bones. ;)

Laserbrain
06-16-2002, 05:07 PM
So that's what R2's always on to 3PO about. Chicken Bones...

seanmcfripp
06-16-2002, 11:21 PM
Vader uses food for a weapon all the time. The carbon freezing chamber was really just a big slurpy machine.