PDA

View Full Version : Larger Millenium Falcon

Jargo
06-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Dear hasbro,
I have an idea for a new larger scale Millenium Falcon / playset. Make Just the whole side of the Falcon so it'll look fab on a shelf. The side with the entrance ramp and the cockpit and the little laser gun underneath that drops down.

We don't have room for a full sized Falcon do we, so all we need is the side that gets all the use that'll fit on a shelf and still look fantastic. And for those that make dioramas it won't take up all the room. The cockpit would take figures better and the entrance ramp could be done a heck of a lot better. You stick the legs on as a permanent feature so you don't have to have the big boxy supports inside. And then when you turn the Falcon round to expose the interior you get the easy room with the bench and Dejarik table and the control console and seats. No need to add the gunner station as this would be for collectors not kids really. But it would allow for better play still and look so much more detailed than the original sculpted Falcon toy.

The seats and console would be sold seperately with a new Han Solo. And the Dejarik table and bench would sell with a C-3PO with knees. Also a Ben Kenobi with knees and the remote seeker ball and blast shield helmet would be sold seperatly. You could give the Falcon electronics if you wanted but I reckon it should come without as you never get that sort of thing right anyway.

I would definately buy this and I'm sure for the chance to get a larger Falcon with decent sized cockpit a lot of others would be happy to sacrifice half the ship to get something of a decent quality. :) Whaddyer say Hasbro?

Eternal Padawan
06-15-2002, 03:32 PM
That's an awesome idea, Jargo. Put a nice deluxe opening and closing ramp, hidden compartments in the floor (or an opening for Han to work in and get toolboxes dropped on his noggin). Don't know about selling the accesories with other figures. Sounds like a cheap Hasbro ploy to get us to buy more figures (and resculpts at that) but I definitely like springing for a display type Falcon set.

Jargo
06-15-2002, 10:05 PM
I thought you might like it EP. :) I guess we could work out the finer details for Hasbro. I just woke up with a brainwave and had to rush to get it down. It seemed that it was the perfect way to cover both the playset angle and the display aspect all at the same time and get a larger scale Falcon. I guess if there's electronics it should be little lights in the cockpit that shine through pin prick holes to make the displays work right and those white strips along the walls. But I'd be happier to sacrifice that for better detail in the sculpt and four seats in the cockpit.

Like the floor panels idea, a pack in crate of tools would be cool and some of those boxes of republic credits that Han gets as his fee in ANH. I guess I'm getting carried away now :D I just love the idea of this so much I get a little excited. :crazed:

LTBasker
06-16-2002, 01:39 AM
Might also be a good Royal Starship idea for a more accurate one and for Tatooine or Royal Hangar dioramas that you don't have a lot of space to devote to them.

Darth Annexis
06-16-2002, 03:09 AM
It would truly be awesome to have playsets of the ships...we can use the ships already made for hanger diaoramas and the playset for interior scenes...

PLEASE PLEASE HASBRO....Can I have a job.....I'm Highly motivated...Love Star Wars....and have faithfully spent my child's college money on Hasbro products...

Jargo
06-16-2002, 10:10 AM
The Hasbro line to that would be: "Hasbro has plenty of career opportunities. If you apply through the proper channels you and the many thousands of other fans who apply for jobs on a daily basis will be duly considered. Succesful applicants can look forward to a happy and prosperous career with a forward looking company. The packing department is always happy to recieve new staff........." ;)

The playset idea could indeed be the way to get a decent scaled royal starship interior, Also the only way we might get a sail barge. It may also be the way to get a Sith infiltrator too. I always fancied the idea of having Maul inside his ship but if they made the whole ship it would be too small in the cockpit. If hasbro made a playset of the rear of the ship only it would allow for a really nice display piece and provide a cool playset if the back of the ship opened up.

Eternal Padawan
06-16-2002, 10:31 AM
I came up with a similar idea for the Star Destroyer by only having the conning tower that opens up into a groovy bridge playset.

Jargo
06-16-2002, 10:48 AM
I was thinking along those same lines EP, But more like the whole bridge, It'd be pretty large but then I'd have a large part be a storage case for figures and bits and only part of it as a playset. The lower section where the imp officers sit at controls and the floor round it to put the bounty hunter contingent on, the little alcove off to one side where Ozzel dies with the controls behind it. A large viewport for Vader to stand gazing out of. I'd pack it with an Ozzel figure and a correctly scaled mouse droid or three.
But that's just a quick thought. If I think some more I'm sure I could come up with something much better. To be honest though, the storage case idea is dead unless they start to think big. How many figures do most folk have now and how the heck are we supposed to fit those figures into those tiny carry cases? The only thing to do is make something huge that will hold many figures. The star destroyer bridge would be perfect as a candidate because it's large and case shaped anyway.

Same with the sail barge. I'd have half of the sail barge and the rear would be the playset area with dias for Jabba and opening shutters, There'd be a hatch to the deck above and a place for the cannon that came with deluxe Leia to go, But the front end would be mostly storage for figures. Outside it looks fantastic but inside you get the room where the actrion took place and some handy storage.

the Sith infiltrator I'd just do as a playset. The back half of the ship with the folding wings and the cockpit globe. The lower doors and ramp would work. Then the whol top would lift off from the engine cowling. That way you can get into the cockpit area easier. turn the thing round to see properly but with a confined space you'd need the top to come off. Actually I guess it wouldn't be that hard to simply add the front end of the ship come to think of it. It's just a long flattened cone with a leg at the cockpit end really. So that goes back to the ships section then. Hmmmm. Why the hell don't we have a Sith infiltrator if it's that easy to make it work? Geez hasbro - what you playing at?

Eternal Padawan
06-17-2002, 01:10 AM
I can't understand the logic of never making a Sith Infiltrator vehicle. The darn thing was DESIGNED to be a toy for pete's sake. George was looking at all the possibilities for Maul's ship and came to the infiltrator and said "WOW! THAT woulod make a NEAT toy!!! I can't wait to see bunches of THOSE on the shelves..." Then there was a distinctive POP! sound when the Hasbro guy pulled his head out of his :eek: and said "What? I didn't catch that last part, George." But it was too late, George was already down the hall, simultaneously hiring Jake Lloyd, desiging Padme's umpteenth outfit, and drawing stick figures all over Chaing's beautifully rendered artwork. And so, we never got a Sith Infiltrator... :cry:

Jargo
06-20-2002, 06:17 AM
Just bumping this back up.....

Still want the larger Falcon playset, still love the idea of only getting half of it but super detailed. Still need a proper sized cockpit to get the figures in. C'mon Hasbro - you know it makes sense. :)

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Ya know the really cool part about stuff like that, would be with certain ships like the Royal Starship you could put up against a mirror and get the full ship out of it. Same with Jabba's sail Barge.

BillyJAck
06-20-2002, 10:50 PM
yes great idea! I'd buy one for sure. And how about a cockpit that has four seats in it where you can put four figures, make it come with a Chewie with bendable knees and elbows. Then i can put my cantina ctc han in the other seat...bring it ON!

billyjack

Obi-Don
06-21-2002, 02:08 PM
I like this idea. It would make it a lot easier to display and kids[including myself]would love to play with it.

Adam
06-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Blah. While the half-ship/playset angle is interesting, I'd rather have the whole thing. Just remake it like they did with the X-Wing. If the queens ship can be gargantuan, why not the Falcon..

bigbarada
06-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Because Hasbro took a bath with the Queen's Starship and thus wouldn't want to take another chance on a giant vehicle unless SW toy sales begin to do better than they have been.

A series of Falcon interior playsets would be more likely (similar to the vintage Darth Vader's Star Destroyer playset). I like the idea of a half Falcon for display purposes, and while I don't think it's likely I would love for Hasbro to surprise me with something innovative for once. I would defintely buy it if it was made though.

Jargo
06-23-2002, 07:11 PM
Adam, if hasbro made a ful sized realistically scaled Falcon it'd be around five feet long and four feet wide. For one thing it'll never happen and for another hasbro couldn't get a thing like that into a box. next you'll be telling me you want a window display style box too which would make the packaging even bigger.

For the filming of ANH they only built half the Falcon full scale, which is why you don't see a dish on top when Luke first sees it in docking bay 94.
I was sort of thinking that a late entry into the 25th anniversary spirit would be cool for the half of the Falcon playset. I'm not talking correct scale because that too would be huge and way too big to sell any amount of quickly. I'm just calling for a larger scale falcon section so that we at least get a better scaled cockpit we can put figures into comfortably without having to resort to a lump hammer to jam them in.

I don't just want to get some stupid playset of the cockpit only. Taking the cockpit out of context would be a bad thing. I want some continuity with the other toys but also to get something that works both inside as a plaset and outside as a display piece and as a playset. The falcon is arguably the most recognisable ship fro the whole star wars saga and deserves something new and exciting to happen with it. This seems the perfect way to reach an equitable compromise between the two camps of toy lovers and kids and the adult glass case display only collectors. :)

Eternal Padawan
06-24-2002, 09:58 AM
They had a cockpit playset that came with that CD-ROM game where you stick the playset on your keyboard and when you hit certain controls, they "translate" into commands given to the computer. I bought one on clearance at Electronics Boutique a few years ago and then promptly stuffed in a box in the basement. My point is, the playset was way too big to be cool and fun to play with. So a smaller cockpit CONNECTED to a Falcon playset is the way to go.

Adam
06-24-2002, 10:33 PM
I never said it had to be realistly scaled Jargo. I just want a bigger one. I would probably buy a half falcon, but I still would want a new whole falcon more.

But what if they made small but detailed cockpit playset? Nothing big like that one with the cd, just small and to-scale.

Jargo
06-25-2002, 02:59 PM
I did consider the cockpit only scenario when compiling a list of figures I would make if I ruled Hasbro. I decided that a new Lando in his smuggler outfit with half the Falcon and a new Chewie with the headset and a removable bandolier and satchel with the other half would be kind of sweet.
You just buy the two figures and get the whole cockpit that clips together. Then you release other figures with other parts of the falcon.
Han with the hallway and secret smuggling compartments possibly with the crates of republic credits he gets as reward for getting Ben and Leia to Yavin.
Ben and part of the hold with the seat and console, Luke and part of the hold with a doorway and some accessories: remote seeker ball and lightsaber and helmet with blast shield down,
C-3PO Cloud city escape with damaged leg and bench and dejarik table part of the hold. Leia and the ramp section with corridor intersection. Something like that anyway.
All the bits would clip together to make the whole of the Falcon side.

but i prefer the idea of the whole thing as one item with the figures coming seperately. It keeps the quality level higher that way. The Chewbacca and lando ar a must though to go in the cockpit. And a remodelled commtech han Solo with that arm sorted out so he doesn't end up sticking his hand through the cockpit windows. :)

Oh, and Adam - I wasn't picking on you matey. Just trying to point out how big the falcon would be if it was made full sized. The current one is 21 inches front to back and 16 inches across. To be full sized and more realistic, it's have to be roughly 36 inches front to back and roughly 25 inches across. That'd be on a par with the royal starship size. The Falcon should be much bigger but we accept that the size will a problem and that a new one would just have to be bigger. However, this still wouldn't allow the figures to sit in the cockpit properly and certainly wouldn't allow for four seats in the cockpit. Which is one of the reasons I suggested going for the half Falcon so the scale can be bigger in length and the cockpit can be big enough to take four or five figures. Without having the whole falcon to do hasbro could concentrate on getting the important bits right, the cockpit the landing ramp and the hold. We'd miss the gun emplacements off because they'd be hard to do with just half the falcon but with the insides exposed hasbro could release a connecting section that had both gun emplacements and an access adder between them. This would help to cover just about any play or display features we might have. The beauty of releasing the gun emplacements seperately a connected item would be in having the item as a stand alone display piece too. I know they already released a version of this but not with the access ladder connecting them together.
I am also thinking of cost here. A whole re-sized Falcon would cost the earth to most collectors, but half the Falcon would be fairly reasonable in price. Having the gun emplacements seperate means the fun of collecting all the pieces and hunting them out are increased. If you just get it all in the one package it's likely to be of poorer quality and less than useless.

I'll be back with more later....

Adam
06-25-2002, 06:56 PM
I know. But I was just saying what I would like to see, fully knowing its impractical.

I didn't think you were picking on me, I just wanted to clarify what I had said earlier. It's all good. :happy:

RooJay
06-28-2002, 08:05 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to once again call to everyone's attention the great vehicles 21st Century Toys has offered, and continues to offer for it's 1/6th scale lines. Several of them are quite large, but are still offered at a manageable price; just look at any of their tanks! Keep in mind that I'm not asking for a perfectly scaled Millenium Falcon, just one that is closer to scale than the previous version; say about 20 to 50% larger. I haven't actually done the math, but I'm reasonably sure that this would bring it to about the size of most of the Ultimate Soldier Tanks (of which there are a few). 21st Century's tanks retail for $250 or less! That's a price that I could certainly live with, and would be more than wiling to save up for. I also want to point out again that 21st Century is a MUCH smaller company than Hasbro; if such items were not cost effective then the first tank 21st Century produced should've put that company under (it hasn't, and several more large scale vehicles have followed)! No more excuses Hasbro.

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 04:49 PM
Yes, those 21st Century vehicles are awesome, and Hasbro has jumped on the bandwagon with that Wiley's Jeep that they released for the 12" GI Joe line. So why not Star Wars? It almost seems that someone high up at Hasbro is still holding a grudge from the old GI Joe versus Star Wars days of the 80s and dedicated his life to rising up the ranks of Hasbro and buying out Kenner, then slowly but surely killing the Star Wars brand name in the esteem of the collectors.

Paranoid? Me?:)

Anyways, I love the idea of making a half-Sail Barge, just like the set constructed for ROTJ. A decent Sail Barge would be too cumbersome for any kid or collector to "fly around the room." So forget the vehicle aspect and concentrate on the playset aspect. On one side, we get an exterior with opening hatches (for plucking out Weequays) and a deck with a spot for DX Leia's Cannon and another hatch for the guards to crawl out of. (then Hasbro could release a couple of other Sail Barge henchmen with those clip-on blaster cannons that they used in the film) On the other side of the playset have a throne room for Jabba and a whole crapload of his henchmen. Of course to make this all work, we would also need a well sculpted ROTJ Jabba with throne.

I'm thinking that the Sail Barge could be made this way and measure under two feet long. Preferably longer but 2 feet would be fine and would help cut down on costs.

Jargo
09-02-2002, 07:40 PM
Three feet would still be fine BB. Given that the whole thing would be basically hollow with only supports for strength in the dividing walls of the interior or the pillars of the throne room, it'd be viable to make it three feet long.
The sides slope inwards so it wouldn't actually be as big as it might seem. Two feet might cut back on how much you could do with it. And if it's just half the vessel then it won't need such a huge box.
the whole thing could be self assembly sections - top deck and base then the wall sections of the interior and finally the cladding of the hull. Plus the sails and masts.
Obviously it'd be a big item and expensive but it would be achievable. I expect corners to be cut for costing like not getting too many opening hatches and smaller rails than they should be, the sails would be smaller and lower, But as long as certain signature features were included like the dias for Jabba and the wall fresco behind his dias with the jabba carving, the hatch onto the main deck, the rope to swing across to the skiff, a place to put the sail barge cannon, I'd accept a lack of scale and even some lack of detail.
The whole thing Hasbro has been saying lately is that they are dedicated to giving kids fun toys with playability, so how can they play with figures if there are no environments to play in? This sail barge and Millenium falcon as a half a ship idea grew out of that thought and I would have hoped that Hasbro might have been considering similar thoughts too.

Hopefully this won't be too big but this is the original edit of the tusken head slice 'tar, the 'tar system won't accept the slow version because it's too vast. :)

bigbarada
09-02-2002, 08:05 PM
That's great! :D

Anyway, I said 2 feet, since that is about the size of the shelf that I have in my room. I guess if Hasbro made it 3-feet long, I could always buy a bigger shelf.;)

RooJay
09-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
I'd like to take this opportunity to once again call to everyone's attention the great vehicles 21st Century Toys has offered, and continues to offer for it's 1/6th scale lines. Several of them are quite large, but are still offered at a manageable price; just look at any of their tanks! Keep in mind that I'm not asking for a perfectly scaled Millenium Falcon, just one that is closer to scale than the previous version; say about 20 to 50% larger. I haven't actually done the math, but I'm reasonably sure that this would bring it to about the size of most of the Ultimate Soldier Tanks (of which there are a few). 21st Century's tanks retail for $250 or less! That's a price that I could certainly live with, and would be more than wiling to save up for. I also want to point out again that 21st Century is a MUCH smaller company than Hasbro; if such items were not cost effective then the first tank 21st Century produced should've put that company under (it hasn't, and several more large scale vehicles have followed)! No more excuses Hasbro.

I thought I had made a really good point with this one, and I'm glad someone finally stepped up and noted it, but MAN did it ever take a while!;)

Darkross
09-05-2002, 11:25 AM
Yes...a larger Millenium Falcon is definitely on my wish list. If they could make it twice as large as the existing one or try to scale it with the new X-wing....it would look awesome in a Hoth Rebel Base diorama. Here's hoping that Hasbro will come through for us!