PDA

View Full Version : how much is your collection of 3 3/4" figures worth?

hango fett
06-15-2002, 01:49 PM
i did the math this morning with "star awrs super collector wish book. id and values."
the grand total was $4160.00! wow! it helped to have the ff sand trooper and the thearter edition jedi knight luke. (sorry if this isn't in the right place.) i'll put a link to my site on my sig in a little bit so you can check out what we have from POTF2 up to POTJ.

QLD
06-15-2002, 02:26 PM
It would be worth twice as much to you if you opened them all.

LTBasker
06-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Most I paid for a figure: $25.00
Adverage price for a figure: $6
Least I paid for a figure: $1.00
My Collection: Priceless.

:cool:

hango fett
06-15-2002, 02:59 PM
what do you mean, quite-long dong? it would be worth twice as much if i had them opened? i kind of doubt that....

MasterYoda
06-15-2002, 03:23 PM
I got to agree with LT. My collection is PRICELESS to me. Most I payed for a figure was $70 and of course that was the Theatre Edition Luke a few years back.

QLD
06-15-2002, 03:47 PM
It depends on the type of worth you mean really.

If you mean monetary, then you are probably right.

But as far as sentimental, and use....they would indeed be worth more if you opened them, in my opinion.

Basically, I was being a jerk, and in an offhanded way telling you that you should open all of your figures, and not collect them for monetary value, or "worth". I am really a nice guy, and I like you. I think your posts are nice and interesting. I just think collecting for supposed monetary worth (which is practically non-existant these days), is so contrived and an extreme waste of time.

But if you want to collect something for worth, might I suggest a nice Roth IRA? Now that will definately be worth more in the future, and you don't have to make sure it is in mint condition!

Hope that makes sense. Not trying to be a jerk (though I probably am), just trying to spread joy and understanding across the SW galaxy. :D

hango fett
06-15-2002, 06:15 PM
the only problem with collecting them out of the pack is that they are mainly my dads, not mine. i just know what we have alot better than he does. if i had it my way, 75% of em would be out and in various dioramas around my room. we started out collecting them out of the pack, but realized how much they were worth back then. now, i don't think we will open any in the near future. my dad said he wouls leave them for me when he passes on (god forbid) so, when i'm about 30-40, i might have them out and be setting them up at my house.
thank you for thinking that my post are good QLD.

QLD
06-15-2002, 06:43 PM
Well, that does make a little more sense. I am glad to hear you would like to open them. I guess I have a habit of assuming that everyone is an adult in here who has their own collection.

hango fett
06-15-2002, 07:20 PM
thats cool, QLD. sometimes i wish i were an adult so i could do what i want and BUY what i want.... ;)

QLD
06-15-2002, 07:37 PM
It's funny, we all wish we were kids again. :D

figrin bran
06-15-2002, 08:56 PM
to paraphrase boba fett, "they're [my figures] no good to me unopened." :)

Jargo
06-15-2002, 09:56 PM
I guess I've spent a few thousand pounds sterling on my collection. What with the prices being so high on imports - read: everything - I guess i could value it but I opened every last item. Opened items are worth jack squat. I really don't think about the stuff in monetary terms unless i suddenly realise I have no clothes to wear because I spent that months money on toys again. Sometimes I think I shouldn't have spent so much and it could have been better spent elsewhere but then i gaze across at all the millions of figures and ships and beasts on the shelves in my room and I smile. Anything that can bring a smile to my grizzly visage must be worth it all. At the end of the day I really don't care for a value. I'm not insured and would hate to have to estimate the value if I did get insurance. I'd probably leave the collection off. It's my pride and joy the collection is, but if I lost it all, I'd still have the memories. And I'd have the same fun going out and buying it all over again. Like I said - the money doesn't matter to me. Once it's spent its spent. Could be worse, I could be drinking all the money away or shooting drugs into my arm. Either way the money gets spent and you don't notice it. But if you stop and think you know you spent a small country's annual income on your habit. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-15-2002, 11:01 PM
I keep a tally on the total amount of money I have spent, saved on my collection list which I have on Excel format. I've paid approximately $2,692.92 for my whole entire collection, which includes 3 3/4, plus a few vehicles, 12inchers, and a lot of Micro Machines and Action Fleet. But if you factor in the intangibles like all the sweat I spent tracking down certain things in my collection, then you can say my collection is worth a lot more than that. A value that you can't certainly put your finger on.

bigbarada
06-16-2002, 12:21 AM
I have a simple rule with my collection, if I find that I own a valuable item, I either sell it or find a way to de-value it. I can't stand having "rare and valuable" pieces in my collection; because then I am afraid to touch them and they become more of a burden than anything else.

I used to have a huge collection of vintage stuff, about 70 figures, tons of vehicles (not just any vehicles, stuff like the Imperial Shuttle, A-Wing, AT-AT and Skiff). Well I was miserable with it all, I was constantly worried about the temperature in my room and not letting in any sunlight. My collection stopped being fun and became a major source of stress in my life. So, I sold it ALL off. All I have left is a Chewbacca with half his hand chewed off, a Threepio with a broken foot, a beaten up Boba Fett, and an Artoo, Vader and Ben figure. That's it, and I can't tell you how relieved I am.

Of course I still have my Saga and a small part of my POTF2 and POTJ collection; but that stuff is, and always will be, worthless on the secondary market so I am free to enjoy it.:)

DarthBrandon
06-16-2002, 01:43 AM
To me my collection is priceless. I've spent more than 10,000 dollars to get what I have now. Most of it will be worthless in 10 to 20 years, so I open them all up except for certain figures that are duplicates. Those ones I'll pass on to my son along with the rest of the collection to do what he sees fit. Son:" Free them all I will dad". Most expensive Item Imperial Shuttle ( Vintage Mint )which cost me $250.00 U.S. , Could never get it here.

Heres a breakdown of my stuff.

Vintage 2000 dollars, POTF 6500 dollars includes Red, Green, FF , and ships etc, POTJ 1500 dollars, Saga 500 dollars.

This includes Action figures , Vehicules, Beast Packs, Playsets, Cinema Scenes, Books, Posters, Various Hasbro lines not mentioned, Statues,12" figures and lots more.

jjreason
06-16-2002, 01:51 AM
I'm scared to think of what I've spent. I did sell my vintage collection to prepare for my wedding in 1995 for just shy of 1000.00 though, so that takes a chunk out of what I've spent on modern day replacements. 500 some odd figures later, I'd probably rather have the stuff I grew up with. I only needed 22 more figures to have a full vintage run (granted, 15 were original POTF) and I could have replaced my less-than-perfect first 20 figures with nicer ones. Oh well, looking back on it I've had fun shopping. Too bad it's getting harder instead of easier to get everything.

Obi-Don
06-16-2002, 07:11 AM
I thought about how much mine is worth and I just can't put a price on it. I know its not as big as some but its mine. The meaning it has to me doesn't make sence to some but thats OK. I do it for me. The "not as big as some" is refering to the collection.

hango fett
06-16-2002, 02:25 PM
i'll probably open all the ones we have as soon as i technically "own" them. then i will set them up everywhere and make brilliant dioramas. then they will be priceless to me.

Exhaust Port
06-16-2002, 03:16 PM
They are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If that happens to be $1 or $1 million, then that is the value. This is why I don't put much value in those price guides. I rarely would be willing to pay as much as they state for figures.

A lot of the items in my collection have a senimental value which is somewhat priceless. Of course under the right circumstances I'd part with everything in a heartbeat. If my child was sick and I was short on cash, so long Star Wars figures. Their value would go from that "pricelessness" to worthless in an instant to me.

hango fett
06-17-2002, 02:03 PM
i knew someone would say "it's only worth what people would pay for it." not to be rude, but thats just annoying to me. if it would be like that then hardly anyone would be rich because people wouldn't pay them the full value of whatever they invested in...

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2002, 06:00 PM
I priced my collection using the 2nd Edition of the Tomart's Worldwide SW Collectibles and it was a shade over $10K. I only have the amount I paid for my figures catalogued, and I don't know what that $$ is. Obviously, my collection would be worth more, since there's been just a teeny tiny little bit of merchanise released since 1998. ;)

But... I'd say 92.7% of my collcetion is opened, and maybe 21.8% is not in mint condition (i.e. played with). Would I ever sell it? Possibly. I can't predict the future and might need the money or living space sometime. For right now, it stays here!

Originally posted by hango fett
i knew someone would say "it's only worth what people would pay for it." not to be rude, but thats just annoying to me. if it would be like that then hardly anyone would be rich because people wouldn't pay them the full value of whatever they invested in...
No, no, no. You've got it wrong, hango. Here's the deal:
A price guide says Item Q is worth $xx.xx, but you say, "I won't pay that much." So YOU don't buy it. Someone else says, "I'll give you $xx.xx + $y.yy for it," and then the seller and buyer negotiate. It has nothing to do with being rich, it's the buying and selling aspect.
I refuse to pay over $100 for any SW figure, therefore I'll never get a Vinyl Cape Jawa. So, FOR ME, a vinyl cape Jawa is not worth what a price guide says. Will you buy my vintage Rebel Soldier for the price guide amount? Does that change the value of my own collection then if you won't? No. That's it; nothing personal about it.

Exhaust Port
06-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by hango fett
if it would be like that then hardly anyone would be rich because people wouldn't pay them the full value of whatever they invested in...

How do you think the Stock Market works? If you've invested you fully understand that people won't pay "full value" for stock if they don't think it's worth it. Stock prices drop and can continue to drop if no one is willing to pay for it at the current price. Just ask the Enron employee's and stock holders how this works if you don't believe me.

Most any Investment/Collectible is like this. Depending on the demand vs. supply the value is determined. High demand with a low supply generates higer prices. If everyone was sitting on a original plastic cap Jawa the price would be nearly $0. Everyone has it so the demand wouldn't be there to justify a price other than the stamp to mail it to you. So no matter what you add up in your price guide, your collection is only worth what someone shows up to your door in their hand.

Watch the Antique Roadshow sometime. They only offer an Appraised Value not an actual value. Why? Because until that item goes to bid there is no way to know what price it will reach. Same thing with your collectibles.

"...hardly anyone would be rich..." I don't know about your neighborhood but most people aren't. Ask anyone who does have money and they'll tell you that they lose money on investments. They just happen to have more Wins than Loses.....well, that and they don't invest in action figures.

hango fett
06-18-2002, 10:58 AM
nevermind....just let me know your guesstamite on how much it would be worth IF you would sell it...(no, i don't want to buy anyones collection..)

Exhaust Port
06-18-2002, 12:13 PM
I have no idea what the going rate for my stuff is but I figure that I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500+ over the years and growing everyday.

bigbarada
06-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Well, my estimate if I was going to sell my collection at a Garage Sale for emergency money.... let's see $0.10 per figure, $2 per vehicle.......$1 for that.........wouldn't take less than $4 for this......

about $26! Wow, all those years of collecting sure paid off!:D

QLD
06-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Mine is worth 80 gajillion dollars. Anyone want to buy it?

Wolfwood319
06-18-2002, 10:45 PM
$1 Billion Dollars!!!

Soups on Jackass!

God, some of you people are stupid. These frickin' toys aren't going to be worth spit in 5 years.

Vortex
06-18-2002, 11:36 PM
There's a sucker born every minuet. Plus, an honest buck is only worth .50 and a quick one is worth 2.

I have to agree with Wolfwood on this one.

Once the last movie plays, the last figure disapears from the shelf, kids will forget and we will all move on with our life. We only have another few years left in this mad panic of star wars collecting. And I'm guessing with no new movies, and kids being fickle these days, star wars won't mean a hill of beans to most kids these days. Action figs aren't their things, they are growing up in a differnt time, with differnt things to occupy their time.

If you're after money, you better dump some stuff now, while the market is hot. If you're happy with just the figs, there's no price for them. But toy collecting has a short memory, and life span. Stuff is soon forgotten, cast off, and there's a very small market for these toys...a very small market. You'll never get prices for these new figs like the old vintage line, lots of people in this forum own multiple figs, armys, Mint collections, loose...and the secondary market will be so flooded I wonder if we could even get even money for some figs in a few years.

I keep my figs on a spreadsheet since I submit them to the home owners insurance company in case something happens I can get my money back. I have about 6 grand invested in the new lines, ??? on the vintage, and with the Lee's price guide I have a profit of about 7,000 with the new lines, if I was to sell it all off, or if it all got damaged with a fire or flood. I know I'll never get close to this price if I sell, but who knows...maybe I'll find some rich kid who wants to start a collection once the 3rd move shows...

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 05:02 PM
I duuno how much mine are worth monetarily, but I know they're a heck of a lot of fun.