PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT use wizardworld.com for your collection tracking!!

Dar' Argol
06-15-2002, 11:59 PM
They have really PO'ed me:mad:. I know in another thread I suggested that someone use wizardworld.com to track their collection. Well, now I wish to retract that statement. I logged on today to update my collection and found that I could not access my portfolio unless I joined their "PLUS" program at $9.95!! I joined this site back when they first re-vamped it in Dec of 2000. I joined because they said it was free!! And now they want to charge me. AND they won't let me see my portfolio??? This is outrageous!!! :mad:
So here is the email I just sent them!!

To whom it may concern,

What the heck is going on???? I logged onto Wizardworld.com to check my portfolio and I find I cannot veiw it???? I can see it, I see that it went up, but I cannot view it???? I joined up with this site to keep track of my collection when I saw it in Toyfare Issue # 40. And you know what it said in there??

"There's nowhere else-on the Web or in the world-where you can do all this in one place and track your entire collection so easily. So how much does it cost? Nada. It's all available for the low, low cost of free. There's no fee. You know the exact dollar amount of your collection, 24hours a day-and it costs you nothing. 'Cause that's the way Gareb wants it."

So what happened to the FREE part, huh? What happened to the way Gareb Shamus wanted it??? I joined because it was free and because it could track my collection. I spent time putting that collection there and I have told many people to use you for tracking because you are FREE!!! And now you want me to pay $9.95????? I think not! This is an outrage!!

Not only have you lost me, but I guarantee no one else I run into looking to keep track of their collections will visit you. I plan on posting a very negitive report of this on www.sirstevesguide.com, www.starwars.com and any other collection forum boards I may run into. I shall take my collection elsewhere.

I urge you to pass this info on and not use wizardworld.com
:mad:

jjreason
06-16-2002, 01:55 AM
I don't use Wizard anything, and support you 100%. How many hobbies of mine can Sham-us screw up?????? Like he needs another 9.95, that's what he charges for a goddam*ed magazine. Idiot.

Dar' Argol
06-16-2002, 02:18 AM
Toyfare is $29.95 a year. Now I do like that magazine. They have a lot of good articals and what not. But are they gioing to charge you $9.95 so you can look at the price guide in the back??? You don't pay it, so they you can't see it??? This just really has me PO'ed!!:mad:

jeddah
06-16-2002, 05:28 AM
But, Dar' Argol, by saying "you have lost me" you are preventing them from making good their initial terms, or offering you some kind of goodwill. I quite agree that their backdoor fee introduction - like the UK Government's stealth taxes - is unacceptable but I think you should've waited for a reply first.

jeddah

Obi-Don
06-16-2002, 06:55 AM
I can understand how this can up set you. I also think you are doing the right thing by not going back. If they can't keep thier word. How can you trust thier info or anything else they say.

Exhaust Port
06-16-2002, 09:39 AM
See if they'll reimburse you for your time entering your collection into their now Pay to Play collection database. Tell them you don't work for free if they don't.

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 06:29 PM
After the Wizard-brand Simpsons exclusives debacles, I just stopped reading their products altogether even though I don't collect Simpsons figures anymore. It disgusted me how poorly Simpsons collectors were being treated by Gareb Shamus and company.

Plus, the only thing I kept reading ToyFare for anyway was the action figure comics, and the forumites here are now doing their own, even-funnier ones.

hamsterboy
06-17-2002, 01:30 AM
As far as I know,someone else owns the site now. I don't know how much input or control Wizard has any more.

Deoxyribonucleic
06-17-2002, 02:33 AM
Hey Dar'Argol...if they email you back, will you post it up here? I'm really curious what they have to say.

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 03:50 PM
hamsterboy, I didn't know that. I wonder why they got rid of it.

icatch9
06-17-2002, 04:16 PM
You should read Lee's Action Figure Toy Review. It's twice as good as toyfair and I think it's cheaper. Plus, if you subscribe they give you a choice of all kinds of free action figures as a gift. Plus, the info is great and the price guide is better too.

You can get it at Barnes & Noble or Boarders.

Vortex
06-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Lee's is good for a rought estimate, and the few bucks is worth it if you insure your collection. I pick this up when I'm at the comic shop and its worth every penny.

I keep a spread sheet on Excel and every couple of months I submit it to the insurance co. just in case anything does happen to the house, I can get my money back plus some for my collection. I can't remember what it's called or what a collection is classified as...but better safe than sorry.

My parents house was hit by lightening back in 80, and we lost everything. The insurance company took care of general items like furniture, appliances, carpet, tables, etc. The big stuff that was identifiable in the yard, still smoking, and partially damaged, or stuff that was water damaged. But when it came time to shell out the bucks for my dad's skeet rifles, guitar collection, mom's trinkets, or hummels, clothing, antiques, some of my toys, they wouldn't budge since they didn't have a listing or value for anything we couldn't find or salvage. So we learned our lesson.

If it helps, this is all I do. List the figures/ships by collection, a column for quantity and one for price paid. Multiply those two columns together to get total price. Then I have a column for secondary market value, multiply that column and the quantity column to come up with secondary value total. Then if you really want to keep track of profit or whatever, you take column and subract it from price paid and that's your profit or loss margin. I don't submit that column to the insurance co. And once I've listed all the figures I go back and total each section/collection and then have a grand total line. Its easy to add to, cut and past work wonders when you get the 1st line done, and all you have to do is insert rows and column if you need to. Just takes a while to set up, but after all this, you're right, there's no reason to pay 10 bucks for it when you can do it yourself in a few hours or over a few days.

Dar' Argol
06-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Here's the reply email they sent me:

Firstly please accept our apologies for any inconvenience the switch over may have caused you. WW has provided a free service to it's members for two years as we are as passionate about the collecting as you are. The economic realities however force us to start charging for the services we provide. The only alternative is to shut down the site and that will not benefit anybody. We hope that the modest level of our fees will not burden most of our members and I hope it will allow us to continue to provide our members with the service they enjoy.

Wizard World Crew

Ok, this addresses my disgrunteled email how??? By giving me excuses on why they are doing it. Not offering anything for the fact that I signed up back when they started the whole tracking thing???? I say shut it down. Its not like they need the $. They have connections with WOTC and everyone else. There is so much adverts in the mags now, its hard to find the articals!! This is a bunch of crap!!

SirSteve
06-17-2002, 11:38 PM
Why not use SSG FREE Have/Wants system in the Collector's Database? We even offer variations, unlike WW.

Dar' Argol
06-17-2002, 11:46 PM
I know, and I have been, slowly. But this was back b/4 I knew you hada database. Plus, WW offered a ever changing value update, for back in the day when I cared how much it was worth. Now there is only a few I care about the value.

But SirSteve, is it correct you do not list current values for the figs? Just wanted to clear that up. Thanx:)

stillakid
06-18-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
Lee's is good for a rought estimate, and the few bucks is worth it if you insure your collection. I pick this up when I'm at the comic shop and its worth every penny.

I keep a spread sheet on Excel and every couple of months I submit it to the insurance co. just in case anything does happen to the house, I can get my money back plus some for my collection. I can't remember what it's called or what a collection is classified as...but better safe than sorry.

My parents house was hit by lightening back in 80, and we lost everything. The insurance company took care of general items like furniture, appliances, carpet, tables, etc. The big stuff that was identifiable in the yard, still smoking, and partially damaged, or stuff that was water damaged. But when it came time to shell out the bucks for my dad's skeet rifles, guitar collection, mom's trinkets, or hummels, clothing, antiques, some of my toys, they wouldn't budge since they didn't have a listing or value for anything we couldn't find or salvage. So we learned our lesson.

If it helps, this is all I do. List the figures/ships by collection, a column for quantity and one for price paid. Multiply those two columns together to get total price. Then I have a column for secondary market value, multiply that column and the quantity column to come up with secondary value total. Then if you really want to keep track of profit or whatever, you take column and subract it from price paid and that's your profit or loss margin. I don't submit that column to the insurance co. And once I've listed all the figures I go back and total each section/collection and then have a grand total line. Its easy to add to, cut and past work wonders when you get the 1st line done, and all you have to do is insert rows and column if you need to. Just takes a while to set up, but after all this, you're right, there's no reason to pay 10 bucks for it when you can do it yourself in a few hours or over a few days.

Do you have a "blank" version of the layout that you could offer to us (me ;) )? I've been thinking that I need to include the collection in my policy but have nothing beyond photos to document it.

Does the SSG collection checklist print out with values attached?

Vortex
06-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Yea I could fire this off to you. Heck, I'll just send it to you as it.

Granted there's some items missing like Galaxies and some ship, and the 12" collections, since I don't have any of that stuff...

But give me a day or so to clean it up a little bit. Just send me your E-mail and I'll fire it off when I've got some items cleaned up. I don't have a home page so I can't post it, but if some one else does they could provide it to who ever.

SirSteve
06-18-2002, 10:55 AM
We did list the values but it changed way too often (we do have something planned though). ;)

I would suggest you start adding your collection because soon, you will know the TRUE MARKET VALUE for your collection!

stillakid
06-18-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
We did list the values but it changed way too often (we do have something planned though). ;)

I would suggest you start adding your collection because soon, you will know the TRUE MARKET VALUE for your collection!

I've been adding my collection to the Cantina, but am still waiting for the little box where I can enter quantities of each figure. If a loose Stormtrooper is worth (hypothetically) $4, my SSG list will currently only reflect $4. But since I have a bunch of these guys, the Value will obviously be very different and the list will become much more useful. That is, unless you've already added that feature since I last checked it. :)

Dar' Argol
06-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve

Thanx SirSteve, I will. It'll take me a few days though:rolleyes:. It took me almost 8 hrs to do it the last time, and my collection has grown since then:eek:

SithDroid
06-19-2002, 01:06 AM
I had roughly the same reaction as you Dar' Argol. I was updating my comic book collection the other day and I recently purchased a copy of Wizard magazine. Some of the titles that used to be in their price guide were no longer there, so I decided to try their website and was extremely P.O.ed when I found out that now I have to pay to use their picture archive/checklist database. Luckily I keep all my checklists in my computer so I didn't run into the same problem as you did. I don't see why they need to charge $9.95 to use the site. I hardly doubt that they are losing money. Someone should tell them that that is what sponsors are for. Anyway the only reason I am mad is because I bought a magazine hoping they would have in it what I needed and when it didn't I thought that I'd just look it up for FREE on their website, but now you have to pay so I guess they are trying to charge customers TWICE just to get the info they need. Lame if you ask me.