PDA

View Full Version : OT: Yay, I DID it!

jeddah
06-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Sorry for the OT, but I only really want to share this with my MM friends :o

jeddah finally ceased to exist yesterday as my stage name :) I chose jeddah as my handle on the old GalooBB because that was my stagename and over the past 5 years, jeddah has taken on an identity that is at odds with my act.

Consequently, about 5 months ago, I decided to change my stage name to Firebrat and last night was the first time I got to use it in the UK South Coast's biggest talent showcase.......

guess what...?

I won :D:D:D:D:D I performed 2 of my own songs and had my dancers doing routines that I;d choreographed. There'll be a write up in the Echo tomorrow so if anyone's interested I will scan it :)

I'm so pleased as it was my first solo performance (was in a band 6 years ago). My next date is 21st July :happy:

jeddah

britcit3
06-17-2002, 03:38 PM
Hey Firebrat

If you ever gig up in the grim North, drop me a line.

BC3

LTBasker
06-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Congrats, Jeddah err FireBrat or [prefered name]. :cool: :D

SWAFMAN
06-17-2002, 04:35 PM
conbrats!!
please post a scan or link to the writeup!

r2dee2
06-17-2002, 05:15 PM
CHEERS to you jeddah...soon to be Firebrat...on your win........so happy for you:D !!!! PLEASE do scan in your write-up :kiss: We can now say we knew you when........;)

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Wow, congratulations jeddah! :cool:

vulcantouch
06-17-2002, 11:55 PM
jdah: "jeddah has taken on an identity that is at odds with my act"
-oh? how so? (note: that constitutes your 1st big-star interview quextion ;) )
anyhoo, what really matters is When do we get to start glommin off the perks your superstardom'll bring you (i.e., parties on your private jet, world-tour hotel rooms overlooking central park, hong kong harbor & corcovado beach etc :D )? after all, we wouldn't wanna be left in the dust when you become the next, uh, Robbie Williams? ;)
i got a Ratbat (http://www.unicron.com/tf1986/figures/ratbat.htm) toy- how much mileage on your jet'll it get me? ;)
vt

jeddah
06-22-2002, 01:33 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: thank you thank you :cry: :cry:

:D

Swaffy's been a real darl and put my scan of the local rag up here (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/write%20up.jpg ) :kiss:

I wanted to spend time on my site but these build-it-yourself websites look too home-grown and amateurish so I'm going to outsource the design to a pro (my friend who designed the Firebrat logo is a web designer....:) ).

The picture is not good and I look rather mongy but there has already been interest in my dancers....:rolleyes: who, btw, are 16, 16, 17 and 25. In front of me is Danielle, to her right is Cheryl, to her left is Rachel and Delphine - a lovely french girl I work with - is at the front with my blue bandana.

As far as my name goes, all I've done is decide to use jeddah exclusively for 'net. As a solo artist this was going to be my stagename but over the past 5 or 6 years, I have come to associate jeddah with my net friends so I needed something new for performing.

And as for Ratbat, it looks like a nasty piece of work that I do not want in the sky when I'm jetting around in my Lear :)

Thanks for the nice words guys, hopefully I'll win something 'big-time' that is more than a local talent-show.

jeddah

SWAFMAN
06-22-2002, 01:39 PM
please tell me cheryl is the 25-yr. old (the "legal" one), and that she likes non-skinny amercan guys with kids! and that she's planning a visit to Pennsylvania in the very near future!

[just slap me anytime here, and I'll maybe wake up to reality]

jeddah
06-23-2002, 05:30 AM
..... the girl who I work with is 25 years old
..... the girl who I work with is french

jeddah

SWAFMAN
06-23-2002, 11:02 AM
oh well... :(

as usual, the fickle finger of fate turns out to be the middle finger.

no, no, it's okay, I'll be fine, really I will....

;)

JediTricks
06-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by jeddah
In front of me is Danielle, to her right is Cheryl, to her left is Rachel and Delphine - a lovely french girl I work with - is at the front with my blue bandana. Ten paces to the left be Squall Cove; 19 legs past the double palm trees brings ye to Spaniard's Cliff; down the cliff till ye reaches 'La Boca Del Diablo'; take the fork that points halfway to the morning sun; pull the 3rd lever to the... ARRR! Ye gettin' all this down?!? :Pirate:

:D

Seriously, congratulations jeddah. :cool:

vulcantouch
06-25-2002, 11:21 PM
ah, forget cheryl, in fact forget alluvem ;) that said, it just so happens that delphine, rachel and danielle are 3 of my twenty fave gal names :kiss:
vt

jeddah
07-22-2002, 07:20 AM
Remind me to tell you all something on Tuesday afternoon ;)

jeddah

SWAFMAN
07-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Jeddah, don't forget to tell us all something on Tuesday afternoon. ;)

SWAFMAN
07-23-2002, 11:19 AM
I ran out of filespace on my website this week and had to resize/rename the jpg file from the first firebrat review, so the link in jeddah's post (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=115754#post115754) from 6/22 won't work any more. Here's (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/write%20up1.jpg) an updated link.

Don't want to steal Jeddah's thunder, so stay tuned for the "something" that was promised this afternoon!!

jeddah
07-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Swaffy, thanks for doing this, I really 'purshiate it :)

I think, this (http://home.adelphia.net/~jr44772/images/semi.jpg) says what I wanted to.

I am so happy I could $#!t :eek:

jeddah

good shot jansen
07-23-2002, 03:14 PM
yay! we want fire brat! we want fire brat!

congratulations dear! excellent news!

vulcantouch
07-24-2002, 10:40 AM
. . . ot: yay, i did it too (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=142881#post142881) ;)

jeddah
09-16-2002, 01:36 PM
I decided to keep my plans for last night a secret - for some silly and indefensible reason (you know how I hate secrets) ;) but it was the finals for the talent contest that I entered into, in June.

I came 3rd :cry: and as much as I told myself that I entered into it to get bookings and contacts and a name for myself, I started to get consumed with winning. And I didn't :(

I'm not prone to feelings of disappointment when it comes to my music because there's no rules for taste (sugar and poison and all that) but I did feel a bit put out in that my act was completely orignal from start to finish (apart from the spoof opening) arranged, produced, sung and choreographed by me and yet the winners (4 beeyatches singing Lion King song and some other sheeeyut) and 2nd place (stage school brat) went to people who had been in stage school (Italia Conti) since childhood.:rolleyes:

Oh well, I had a nice chat with Mike Reid and I got a cheque for 100 and a silver 'ique' trophy :D

I had such a blast and really got off on the atmosphere.

I get so bored (and so must the Judges after adjudicating 11 weeks of West End and Broadway musical/karaoke artists) of big voice Liza Minelli types, so I decided to open my set with a spoof/p-take of the other contestants;

The set opens with me singing a big band version of "On the Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady. The girls and I (I had sacked Cheryl last week - long story) did a typical Fred Astaire cane dance to it as I'm singing, but after the first few lines I had the effect of it being ripped off a record player and I shout "Forget that Sh** and give me some BEATS!" and then we do a complex stick routine dance based on Darth Maul vs Obi's EP1 fight (with some Git yr Freek on type music). Initially it was going to be an Anakin EP2 fight with 2 sticks each, but when I was choreographing it, I kept worrying about putting my lounge window out etc so it ended up as a Darth maul influence instead. :cool:

Anyway, we finish the spoof intro after 1 1/2 mins and go into my first and then second song. Finishing with a chair routine the crowd seemed to love it :)

Pics are below. I buy my stage outift from a clubbers paradise in London called Cyberdog (http://www.cyberdog.net) because of the sci-fi influence in the Firebrat image etc. The girls were meant to look like Luc Besson inspired replicants or sumpin. Anyway, now you know what I've been up to and why I've been so quiet of late.

My mirror chest armour blinded the audience which was rather coola ma lullah!

VT, still waiting for pics of your jango (re above post)....come on, you know you've gotta get to it, as you know, I've posted a pic of my Defender test :evil:

;)

jeddah

jeddah
09-16-2002, 01:43 PM
1/2 way through chair routine

jeddah
09-16-2002, 01:45 PM
End of set

jeddah
09-16-2002, 01:47 PM
My gracious acceptance of 3rd place :evil::frus: ;) :D

r2dee2
09-16-2002, 05:29 PM
WOW jeddah...you've been busy!! Sorry for the 3rd place :cry: You did get some exposure and I hope you get some gigs out of this. You didn't "video tape" this by chance? That would be a real hoot to see!! Thanks for sharing the pics...just wanted MORE:D !!

jeddah
09-17-2002, 12:38 PM
heh heh heh, course I had it videoed. :) I also have 25 pictures on CD ROM ;)

The bad thing for you poor Americans is that as it is VHS PAL you wouldn;t be able to watch it. Part of my promo CD will have excerpts as Mpegs or whatever on the end but I don;t know how I'm going to go about this yet. :confused:

Thanks for your kind words and to SWAFFY too

:kiss:

jeddah

vulcantouch
09-17-2002, 10:52 PM
. . . glam Velvet Goldmine, or ultraviolent Clockwork Orange? (one thing's for sure, it don't remind of 24Hr Party People, since that one's set in "bleak northren indoostrial" Manchestah ;) )
look on the brite side, i hear them contests make contestants sign away their souls for a shot at the bigtime. so instead you'll be free to sign up w/a small label like 4ad, factory or 2-tone rekkids ;) & maintain artistic control & a bigger percentage :)
btw, seein as how i don't got a digicam, i'm afraid the jangopix'll hafta wait til r2 & i meet up agin for tea & whatnot :)
vt
yeah, mike reid, i enjoyed him as the dad in Brady Bunch ;)

vulcantouch
11-05-2003, 10:44 PM
vtff collaborator/impresario pal's now using a drawing i did years ago to serve as his website's left-sidebar link to the vtff page (http://www.experimentalfilmchannel.com/id7.html) (it's the one that kinda resembles a wormhole crossed w/a sunset) :cool: