PDA

View Full Version : Archives Vs. Galaxy

Rogue II
06-17-2002, 09:40 PM
I was thinking about picking up some of the cards from the Classic Trilogy. Which is the best set to get? I'm considering Archives and Galaxy right now. Are there any others?

2-1B
07-11-2002, 01:24 PM
I just bought a sealed box of Chrome Archives 2 days ago . . .the guy offered me a good deal, so I bit. I pulled one complete set of course, and came close on a
second - I'm 9 cards short for my second set, I wish to give it to a friend.
They can be pricey though, I just looked on eBay for loose cards that I need and had no luck . . . but people are selling by the box and by the set. If you buy the set, there's one available thru Buy it Now for 24.95, but I bet you could bid on a lower priced one and win it anyway.
I really like the Chrome Archives, but if you remember the original sets, the Archives have an "incomplete" feeling to them, IMO.
They only took 30 cards from each movie and realligned them.
Still, for a 90 card set, it's pretty sweet.
Those clear chase cards (2 per box) are AWESOME while the double sided chrome (3 per box ? ) cards are actually remakes of the old stickers, so I like the look of those.

Galaxy? I have several of them, but not a whole set. It's certainly more diverse, as it includes A LOT of unique artwork and interpretations. Some of them look silly to me, but others are pretty cool.

I can't recommend one set over the other, as I am not familiar with your tastes. But I can say that in terms of getting the most cards and variety for your money, Galaxy might possibly be the best bet.

:)

Rogue II
07-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info. The Archives version sounds pretty cool. I think I bought a pack of Galaxy when they first came out, I'll have to check.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Ba-bump! Well, with news of a 4th series of the successful (IMHO, at least) SW Galaxy cards, try that one when it arrives in February. See the SSG News section for the description and links.

OC47150
10-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Here's what's on tap with the Galaxy 4 set.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Topps_Revives_Cherished_Star_Wars_Galaxy_Trading_C ard_Lin_118360.asp

I have the previous Galaxy sets. They're very nice cards. The artists were given a little more freedom with their imaginations when it came to the artwork.

I'm interested to see what they do with the prequels.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2008, 08:01 PM
I bought these as full sets (SWG:I might have been my first ever QVC purchase, actually), so it could be fun to collect them pack-by-pack.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Still looking forward to this set. Saw a card price guide the other day with the Yoda-as-Buddha style "rare" card on the cover. This is one set I will try to collect in the pack-by-pack method (with maybe some trades to help out, too... hint-hint-wink-wink ;) ).

2-1B
01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Promo card will be in the next issue of Non Sport Update. :cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Found this in a search, gives the release date of the series, too. Anything with my namesake in it's great. Might break down and buy a box, for the first time ever, or try the ol' fashioned way of pack-by-pack (more expensive, but more fun... which to choose).

Topps Explores Campbell in Galaxy IV Cards

"Haunted by dreams of Padme's death and driven by his obsession with saving her life, Anakin walks the Road of Trials. It is a shadowy, confusing path, and Anakin is guided on his journey, not by what is real, but by what he hopes is real. Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, aware of Anakin's fear and pleased by his confusion, seduces the young Jedi with a soothing promise, convincing him that only through mastery of the dark side can Anakin save the ones he loves. Later, as the Chancellor's true nature is revealed and Jedi Master Mace Windu prepares to kill the corrupt politician, Anakin sees his hope dying as well. Faced with a loss he cannot bear, Anakin surrenders to the dark side, realizing too late that in doing so, he has lost not only Padme and Obi-Wan, but himself. Anakin Skywalker has slipped into the abyss."

Pretty deep stuff, especially for the back of a trading card, but not really surprising when one considers the Topps Company's history of pushing the envelope, particularly with regard to the universally praised, wildly popular trio of Star Wars Galaxy sets.

Galaxy IV, set to arrive in comics and hobby stores on February 11th, will be every bit as exciting as its predecessors, and will present fans and collectors with a fantastic array of innovative features and subsets, including the above text and art, part of a subset entitled The Campbell Connection Revisited: Anakin's Journey. Written and illustrated by Russell Walks as a companion to the acclaimed Campbell Connection series he created for Star Wars Galaxy III, Anakin's Journey is a six card series exploring the rise, fall, and redemption of not only the galaxy's greatest hero, but its greatest villain, as well.

In The Campbell Connection, Walks tied Star Wars together with the work of a philospher named Joseph Campbell, and in doing so explained why, for so many of us, the Star Wars movies were more than just a two-hour diversion on a rainy summer afternoon.

"In 1985, I saw The Power of Myth, a series of interviews with Bill Moyers and Joseph Campbell, whose work Lucas says influenced him as he wrote Star Wars," Walks says. "After seeing the interviews and reading Campbell's masterwork, The Hero With A Thousand Faces, I realized what it was about Star Wars that had touched so many of us; to put it simply, the ideals and themes in Star Wars are universal, and I think that the reason the movies resonate with us so strongly is because we recognize the importance of what Star Wars is telling us. We care about Luke and Leia and Padme and Anakin, because in them we can see the best (and worst) parts of ourselves."

Those universal themes of friendship, compassion and sacrifice are revisited in the Star Wars prequels, this time through the eyes of Anakin Skywalker, the young hero whose ambition sets him on a tragic journey.

"Lucas has said many times that Star Wars is, ultimately, the story of Anakin Skywalker," says Topps Vice President of Publishing, Ira Friedman. "And so when we were putting together Galaxy IV, it immediately occurred to us that it would be fun and appropriate to revisit the Campbell/Star Wars connection, this time from Anakin's point of view. Russ was also excited about the idea, and put together a six card series, that we think, frankly, will leave fans breathless."

The cards are broken down by movie, and each image represents a different point in Anakin's life, from the sunlit glory of his podrace win on Tatooine in The Phantom Menace to the shadowy Imperial throne room where meets his destiny in Return of the Jedi.

"I knew that I wanted to depict the turning points in Anakin's life," Walks says. "But I wasn't sure exactly where each of those moments would be. As I worked through the films though, it became clear that each of the defining moments in his journey hinge on the loss of someone important to him, from his mother to his son. Once I realized that, it was easy to decide what to paint."

Walks, who also designed and painted the box art for Galaxy IV, hopes that fans will not only enjoy the art and text, but will also be intrigued enough by the Campbell connection to do a little exploration on their own. "Joseph Campbell's work has been not only a big influence on my own work, but also an important part of my life for a long time," Walks says. "I remember how exciting it was for me, discovering the connection between Campbell and Star Wars, and realizing for the first time how much depth of meaning there was in the movies I loved so much. I'd love it if these cards not only stood on their own as cool little pieces of art, but also appealed to people enough so that at least a few folks, at the very least, Googled the name Joseph Campbell."

Star Wars Galaxy IV will be available primarily in hobby and comic shops in February.

Kaptain Curk
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
i don't even collect the cards, but...

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Anybody see these packs in stores or shops yet? It's only been two days, but I've seen none so far.

OC47150
02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Nothing at the retail stores yet.

2-1B
02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
I looked last night but didn't see them...I won't buy the packs but I like to look at them.
I'll get the base set on the aftermarket. It would be cool to see a few tins at retail, though.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-13-2009, 01:27 PM
So much for that Feb. 11th release date. Could've been the perfect Valentine's Day gift, :love: and a stimulus for our down economy...:whip: :p

[add-on] I bought a complete set (with the P1 promo card, and a "free" opened wrapper! :D ) online today, but I still plan to get some packs for other chase cards and the thrill of not knowing what's inside. Plus, they can end up as trade items for you all.

OC47150
02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I had my monthly SW club meeting on Saturday and one of the members (big-time card collector) had basic sets of Galaxy 4 for sale at a very reasonable price.

The cards are beautiful, eye-popping, and a great continuation of the Galaxy series. The artwork encompasses all six movies, novels, comics and video games.

The sketch cards aren't too shabby either, although one collector said one of the sketches he received wasn't the greatest.

Jayspawn
02-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I received word that my local comic shop has just got them in. So I'm gonna stop by and pick up a few packs. Target stores should be getting them real soon.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
The local comic shop around here says they don't carry non-CCG cards. :( No luck at the retail stores so far. I could try the Hollywood Video (they've had some in the past), if I was desperate. Haven't received the online set buy yet, either.

OC47150
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
The local comic shop around here says they don't carry non-CCG cards. :( No luck at the retail stores so far. I could try the Hollywood Video (they've had some in the past), if I was desperate. Haven't received the online set buy yet, either.

Bel-Cam, check out Rich's Cards. He's selling a basic set for $6. I've ordered from him in the past and he's on the level.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Bel-Cam, check out Rich's Cards. He's selling a basic set for $6. I've ordered from him in the past and he's on the level.Thanks, but I already ordered one; it just hasn't landed on my porch in a box yet. :impatient: :frus: ;)

Jayspawn
02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I bought a base set of the new Galaxy 4 cards off the 'bay today for $9 shipped. Gonna get some of them signed so its a good price.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I got the set I ordered the other day. While the look is great (as all the SWG series have been), mine has multiple errors throughout. List of them below:

- cards #31 and 32 have their backs transposed
- MANY (I stopped counting after 15) have the text on the back cut off, just ending in the middle of a
- the consistency of where the card numbers are on the back is, well, inconsistent
- they said Obi-Wan killed Jango (wasn't it Mace?) on card #39
- a couple of misspellings here and there

But, what I love:
- the "Journey of the Hero" cards based on Joseph Campbell's concepts are awesome
- the idea of cards #41, 43, 48, and 120 (checklist) is cool
- the "mirror" cards (#37-38) are a wonderful concept and creation
- the foreign novels covers cards make me almost want to find those
- always love reading the artists' influences and inspirations for their art

I still plan on buying some packs to try for chase cards (I'll see how many different pack versions, as the set I ordered came with a Luke and an Anakin opened pack), so keep me informed with your needs for extras.

Jayspawn
02-28-2009, 02:02 AM
The foil cards are pretty sweet! I have Luke, Han and Leia so far. I have a base set coming in the mail now.

I'll also get some more random packs once they start hitting stores too. Gonna get them signed by various artists and actors as I go along.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I finally saw some at a Target today; bought two packs and scored a nice-looking Boba Fett foil. I may try a few more packs, but it's not quite the same when you've already got the set (although there's little pressure to be complete). The same errors seem to be present on the cardbacks, too. (BTW, the P1 card I got with the set said 'Fall 2008' for a release; I thought it was always supposed to be early 2009. Oh well).

plasticfetish
03-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Saw these at Target tonight. picked up two packs... good stuff so far. Got one etched foil card and one evolution card. :thumbsup:

OC47150
03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Yep, saw 'em at my Targets, too, today. $2.99 a pack.

plasticfetish
03-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Curious to see if Target will be getting more of these eventually, as I've cleaned out the last two stores that I've visited. Each time they only have two or three packs left... seem to be popular.

OC47150
03-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think the G4 boxes contain as many packs as other boxes, since it's divided into 3 compartments.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-13-2009, 07:53 PM
The display box seems smaller to me, as well. Appears there are only two card pack styles: Luke and Anakin (hobby shops have silver edges, while the Target packs [can't say I've seen them anywhere else, so they might as well be exclusives there] have white edges).

plasticfetish
03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Right on! Found a gold foil card today... Darth Maul 140/500. :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
03-29-2009, 02:34 AM
And... scored yet another gold foil card today: 437/500 Palpatine.

Also a second 6 0f 6 etched foil... if anyone out there has a 1, 2, 4, or 5 that they want to trade?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've gotta admit, for a set that I'm only casually building pack by pack, I've been getting surprisingly few duplicates. Weird.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Decided to try for a chase, as I walked past the card section at Target... and snagged a Chewie foil. Nice.

DarkArtist
04-15-2009, 12:42 PM
i picked up a bunch of the Target exclusive Galaxy series 4 cards over the weekend and was able to get about 7 of the chase silver foil cards, 1 of the autographed sketch cards and one of the 6 chase foils as well. loved the artwork for this series

OC47150
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
The Galaxy cards disappeared quicker than I thought. I've checked Target and the comic shops and nothing.

That's good. Wonder what Topps has on tap next?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2009, 11:05 PM
The Galaxy cards disappeared quicker than I thought. I've checked Target and the comic shops and nothing.

That's good. Wonder what Topps has on tap next?Oh no, not here. I see the empty display boxes all the time. :rolleyes:

I wonder what's left to make? Another rehash of older cards has been done too much. An Expanded Universe set? A complete Holiday Special? :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I saw one pack of SWG4, and a new (old?) box of CW movie cards. Bought one pack of each; nothing in the SWG, but got 4 cards I had yet to find, and a duplicate of the Yoda Foil (#8). Not bad.

Still need about 6 CW cards to complete the set.

Jayspawn
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Random Targets around me still have Galaxy packs. I bought a base set online so I'm happy. Gonna get some of them signed at a later date.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM

That's good. Wonder what Topps has on tap next?Well, come February, the 5th Galaxy set is expected. Which, based on previous series, likely means hitting the shelves in late March.

OC47150
01-31-2010, 08:47 PM
The latest Insider had an interesting article about the Galaxy series. It's worth a read.

Series 6 is planned for next year.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, since it's now March, the Februrary-release SWG V should be out be now, eh? :rolleyes: I haven't been to a store in a little while; anyone see any out there yet?

OC47150
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
A friend ordered a case, and it just arrived within the last week - 10 days.

I'm getting a basic set of cards from her for $5. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Lucky... having a female friend. ;) :starwarsfanstereotype:

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Well, since it's now March, the Februrary-release SWG V should be out be now, eh? :rolleyes: I haven't been to a store in a little while; anyone see any out there yet?

stopping at Target later today to do some clothes shopping for work.. hoping to find a few packs and maybe a few of the new Easter Lego Stuff as well.

Jayspawn
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
My Targets havnt got em yet. I did pick up a few packs at a local comic shop, $3.99 each -OUCH! Topps is slowly raising the prices with each SW series methinks.

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
My Targets havnt got em yet. I did pick up a few packs at a local comic shop, $3.99 each -OUCH! Topps is slowly raising the prices with each SW series methinks.

yeah i hate the fact that these packs of 7 cards run $4 a pack. i remember a time when you could go to the local store and pick up a pack of baseball cards which had 10 cards with gum for only $.99. those were the days.

still love the artwork on the cards so for a small piece of art $4.00 isn't so bad...just wish you could order whole sets from Topps directly... i remember last year i was able to hit Target twice in one week get about 20 packs of the cards and then i never saw them again. it was like Target only got one box of the cards...the local comic shops around me refused to order them by the case for fear that they would get stuck with tons of the cards.

OC47150
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Nothing at my Targets, either.

You gotta wonder what the prices on the new 3D cards will be.

Jayspawn
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
You gotta wonder what the prices on the new 3D cards will be.

The thought scares me.

I only collect the cards for the autograph cards, but Topps only has 5 signers in the new Galaxy 5 series. When they had over a dozen in the Evolution Update series. Not inspiring me to collect. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Awaiting the complete set I ordered online, but I finally found packs in a store (Target). As always, I got the checklist (love being able to know all the card titles), but scored 3 chase cards (foils Dooku and Maul, etched foil Han/Luke). There are some nice paintings and sketches in this site, as each of the series have had.

OC47150
03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Saw the Galaxy cards at Target today: $2.99 a pack. I almost bought a pack but resisted.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2010, 07:37 PM
They're very nice, as the SWG have always been, but you're right. I don't know if they're worth 3 bucks a pack.

I now have a set, and the seller sent quite a few extras. If you get close to a set via pack-by-pack, let me know if you want any. There are a few foils and etched in those extras, too.

OC47150
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
One word for the new Galaxy series: great! When I think Topps has run out of subjects to be featured in the Galaxy series, they come up with new ideas. A nice selection of subjects. I have one of the Celebration 3 posters featured in the set hanging on my wall at home.

Also picked up the etched foil cards. Very nice.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I read through the card backs yesterday, and looked more carefully at the fronts: SWG is always a great idea, and usually a great final product.

BTW, here are the extras I now have, if anyone wants to PM me or offer a trade:
3-6, 13, 16, 22, 27, 28, 31, 34, 36-38, 43, 44, 46, 49, 50, 56, 57, 60, 61, 64, 65, 75, 77, 79, 81, 85, 88, 92, 95, 97, 100, 102-106, 109, 111-115, 117, 120, etched foil 1, foil 4 & 5.

DarkArtist
04-01-2010, 12:41 PM
finally found some of these cards at Target last night. grabbed 7 packs of cards and was surprised to get 2 of the etch foils, 2 of the silver cards and only 2 doubles.... the artwork is pretty good so far I'm really impressed. I just wish that I could get either a box of the cards or a complete set. been checked some of the hobby shops in the area and so far no one is selling a complete set... I'm trying to avoid having to go to ebay for these...

DarkArtist
05-14-2010, 10:53 AM
almost have a complete set of the cards (plus hundreds of doubles....)

now all i need is to get the etched foil puzzle cards of #2 & #4 for a complete set of those. If anyone has some extras of these 2 cards I'd be willing to trade. I think i have about 3 of the #6 etched foil puzzle cards.

PM me if you are interested in trading and I'll se what we can work out.