PDA

View Full Version : Dead Zone TV Series - Worth Watching!

Thrawn
06-18-2002, 12:05 PM
As a very long time Stephen King fan/reader/collector I was wary of this show when first announced, but had to watch it at least once.

I must say after the first episode on USA this past Sunday (if you missed it don't worry, it is on like a dozen times) I was very pleased. The story so far sticks very close to the book (with modern day updating) and is extremely well done. Eventually it will go past the story in the novel, but without him sacrificing himself. When it ended I was very eager to see more and am happy to find out 13 episodes throughout the horrible TV summer months are planned.

Anthony Michael "Brat Pack" Hall was very good and doesn't even look like himself after the coma.

Check it out if you haven't - can't lose on a Summer Sunday night!

JediTricks
06-18-2002, 03:00 PM
I am absolutely shocked, I avoided this one easily and thought you would too after your previous comments, and now to see this thread... I have to see this show based on your glowing recommendation.

The first ep is on 5 more times this week according to my listings (PST) on USA network:
- Wed, Jun 19 12:00AM-1:00AM
- Wed, Jun 19 6:00PM-7:00PM
- Thu, Jun 20 10:00PM-11:00PM
- Sat, Jun 22 8:00PM-9:00PM
- Sat, Jun 22 11:00PM-12:00AM

and the next ep:
- Sun, Jun 23 10:00PM-11:00PM
- Mon, Jun 24 12:00AM-1:00AM

What's strange to me is that USA owns the Sci-Fi Channel, which has a terrible lead-in for their Friday night lineup - the Fox-aired Night Visions. It seems like The Dead Zone would make much better use of that time slot on that channel.

JediTricks
06-19-2002, 11:17 PM
Well, I watched it and it was pretty good. A little slow in the pacing, but it built the necessities. I've never read the book (or even seen the movie), but this seemed like a solid show. Too bad it's on USA network, they own the Sci Fi channel and neither really gives its viewers a fair shake.

JediTricks
07-02-2002, 01:57 AM
Something I recently noticed is that a lot of DS9 and Voyager production crewmembers are big parts of this show. The show was created by DS9 and Voyager co-creator Michael Piller and his son Shawn (who has also written a little for modern Trek). They also have various other roles like writers and producers. Besides them, Joe Menosky writes for this new show and is the executive consultant (Menosky was TNG's executive story editor and wrote and produced for TNG, DS9, and Voyager); Michael Taylor is a writer for DZ who wrote a bunch of DS9 and Voyager eps and was an executive story editor for the latter; and Robert Lederman is DZ's editor, he's been an editor on Enterprise, Voy, DS9, TNG, and also been a writer and director on those last 2. Plus, DZ stars Nicole deBoer who was Ezri Dax on the last season of DS9.

There's also a bunch of other folks from shows like Stargate SG1, Smallville, Seaquest DSV, etc., so you guys just might want to check this show out.

Tycho
07-02-2002, 02:32 AM
Thank you Thrawn and JT. I'll have to see if I can catch the first show Wednesday night. Nevertheless, I want to be subscribed to this thread. Thanks for the reviews.

Lman316
07-02-2002, 08:43 AM
I wanted to watch from the beginning, but I kept forgetting to turn the television on.
However, I did catch it night before yesterday and I've got to say, I really liked it. I wanted to ask though, how many episodes have gone by already? I'd like to know how many I've missed.
I too am a giant fan of Stephen King, although I never read the book of Dead Zone. I watched the movie with Walken, but I really don't remember that too well, I really can only remember the end. Once I can get my bookshelf down a bit, I'll probably pick it (the book) up. I probably actually had the thing, but there was a time when I was off my reading "kick" and I probably got rid of it. That one, plus about 20 other King books. Stupid, I am.
Anyway, it really does seem to be a good show, and I'm going to continue to watch. It's worth at least checking out, especially if you're a King fan :D.

End...

Thrawn
07-02-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
However, I did catch it night before yesterday and I've got to say, I really liked it. I wanted to ask though, how many episodes have gone by already? I'd like to know how many I've missed.

This is week 3. So you can catch #3 on Thurs, maybe only missed 1 so far.

It is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I can't believe there aren't more people watching it here. The premiere episode was the highest cable ratings EVER. The style reminds me a lot of The Fugitive series from the 60s.

Ep 2 was the best so far. E3 was pretty good, but not as good. Hope it doesn't decline a little each week.

pthfnder89
07-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Something I recently noticed is that a lot of DS9 and Voyager production crewmembers are big parts of this show. The show was created by DS9 and Voyager co-creator Michael Piller and his son Shawn (who has also written a little for modern Trek). They also have various other roles like writers and producers. Besides them, Joe Menosky writes for this new show and is the executive consultant (Menosky was TNG's executive story editor and wrote and produced for TNG, DS9, and Voyager); Michael Taylor is a writer for DZ who wrote a bunch of DS9 and Voyager eps and was an executive story editor for the latter; and Robert Lederman is DZ's editor, he's been an editor on Enterprise, Voy, DS9, TNG, and also been a writer and director on those last 2. Plus, DZ stars Nicole deBoer who was Ezri Dax on the last season of DS9.

I saw my first ep last night and I really liked it. I'm a big fan of Michael Piller so I hope it does well. Anthony Micheal Hall is doing a great job so far.

On that topic JediTricks, I noticed last nights episode starred Christopher Masterson as the hockey player. Most people know him as Francis, the older brother on Malcom in the Middle. He is also the younger brother of Danny Masterson who plays Hyde on That 70's Show.

I was wondering why he was randomly on this show but then I remembered something. My best friend interned with Michael Piller last summer (he went to UNC where Piller graduated, and he was in Pillers fraternity) which basically meant he spent the summer hanging out at his house doing nothing ;) He said that Masterson came over several times because he is best friends with Pillers son Shawn and they hung out and watched movies.

That story kind of clicked when I was watching DZ. It looks like lots of Pillers friends are helping it out trying to make sure the series succeeds. I hope it does.:)

JediTricks
07-03-2002, 12:25 AM
Yay, now more than 2 people are posting here. ;) Glad you guys are gonna give it a shot, I think you'll like it.

I didn't know about the highest cable ratings thing, are you sure it's not just highest for USA network?

I think this week's ep was the real starting point, the first 2 eps are pretty much just setup. With the producers and writers of this show being from DS9, I bet we'll have a lot of good eps with a few slower eps and 1 or 2 real stinkers - if they follow pattern.

Sounds logical pthfnder89. However, I think Christopher Masterson shouldn't get any more breaks in life, he's already living with Laura Prepon (Donna on "That '70s Show") :eek: :D, he's one lucky devil.

pthfnder89
07-03-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

Sounds logical pthfnder89. However, I think Christopher Masterson shouldn't get any more breaks in life, he's already living with Laura Prepon (Donna on "That '70s Show") :eek: :D, he's one lucky devil.

Lol JediTricks! I actually wrote out something to that effect in my previous post but I deleted it, not wanting anyone to know about my unhealthy Laura Prepon fixation. ;) You're right though, he's about as lucky as a person has a right to be, living with her.:D

I'm not sure about the highest rated cable show though.The Shield (which is an AWESOME show) supposedly had the highest rated cable premiere, but then again, FX started playing commercials for it a full 10 months before it started, back when it was called Ramparts.

JediTricks
07-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Well, The Shield did premiere before The Dead Zone, so it's possible they BOTH have claim to that.

That guy is super lucky, if his brother hadn't gotten that gig on That '70s Show, he never would have met her; and he's pretty similar to his brother on the surface, so he's lucky there that Danny didn't get her first. :D

Thrawn
07-04-2002, 12:40 AM
I guess I can't post it in my FAQ column, so....

New York, NY June 18, 2002 USA Network's premiere of the original series The Dead Zone set records on Sunday, June 16 (10-11 PM ET/PT). With a 4.7 household rating and 6.4 million viewers (P2+), The Dead Zone became the network's highest-rated original dramatic series debut and earned a place as the top basic cable original dramatic series of all time. The series premiere encore aired at 11PM ET to a 2.2 (3 million viewers).

Demographically, the premiere episode of The Dead Zone was the highest rated cable program of the week in households (4.7), P25-54 (4.1) and P18-49 (3.9). USA Network was #1 for the week in primetime (Mon-Sun 8-11 PM) for both P25-54 (1.3 rating) and P18-49 (1.3 rating).

The Dead Zone more than doubled the network's usual Sunday evening rating of 2.1 in the 10 PM timeslot. Previously, the highest rating brought in by USA for the debut of a new series was in January 1995 with William Shatner's "Tek War," which averaged a 3.4 rating.

JediTricks
07-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Last night's ep was too much phoney suspense and not enough side-trips, but it was a solid effort none the less. It really need some flashes of things that WEREN'T related to the main plot though, basically it was a love story with an affair. I kinda hoped the love interest would have turned out to have been a Nazi spy or something, instead she turned out to be pregnant. Nicole de Boer was kinda icky in her "jealous" role, but I suppose that was how it was meant to be played. This ep should have been later in the season though, a nice slower, focused ep to take us out of the insanity of Johnny's "regular" world.

Beast
08-29-2002, 02:42 PM
Well Dead Zone fans, DVDFile is reporting that the pilot episode will be released on DVD on 11/5. Here's the full report. :)

Geek's revenge - 1:56am

After posting the highest-watched series premiere ever in basic cable history, it was inevitable that The Dead Zone would make its DVD debut sooner rather than later. On 11/5, Lions Gate will release the pilot episode of the popular and acclaimed new series, based on the Stephen King book and starring a resurrected Anthony Michael Hall, complete with plenty of extras. In addition to "The Wheel of Fortune" (Episodes 1 and 2) presented in full screen and 5.1 Dolby surround, extras include an audio commentary, the "Johnny Smith Video Diary," and promo spots. A teaser for more episode collections in 2003, this single-disc set will retail for $24.95. Stay tuned.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-29-2002, 04:23 PM
I'm told (by Thrawn) that the series has been picked up. Very cool because there have been some pretty interesting eps lately. In some ways, it feels so much like DS9 to me, just little subtle things like Johnny's recent "away mission" that goes wrong and eps that start with a feeling of being light and funny and turn into heavy drama.

Thrawn
08-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Too bad no one else around here has picked up on how good the series is.

Dinner with Dana was some hot stuff - gives new meaning to the term "group sex."

JT - how could you have missed the ST in joke line last time..
"Resistance is futile.: ;)

Screw that 1 or 2 eps per DVD crap. Just put the whole season on 2 discs or so a la The Simpsons.

Beast
08-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Thrawn, they are putting out the full season next year. But this is a pilot, so it may not be in the first season DVD boxset. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-31-2002, 01:14 AM
Oh, I didn't miss it... I couldn't help but wonder what newslady would be doing quoting modern Trek. :D

I think the Simpsons can be compressed easier due to fewer colors, which is why they fit so well on just a few discs.

Beast
09-21-2002, 02:38 PM
Here's a picture of the DVD case artwork for the pilot disc. I heard that the first season should be out early in 2003, if they pilot disc sells well. So if you like the series, and want it on DVD, buy the pilot. It's the same thing that happened with Babylon 5. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-01-2003, 07:41 PM
For Thrawn and JT, and any other fans of the series. From DVDFile. :)

Just in from Lion's Gate Home Video is a number of new additions to their new Signature Series line of special edition DVDs, plus some reissues of titles previously licensed by Universal Studios Home Video. But first up is The Dead Zone: The Complete First Season on June 17th. Each episode is presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, and extras include interviews with series creators Michael and Shawn Piller and cast and crew, and in-depth tour of the visual effects, and special collector's packaging. Retail is $49.95.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dr Zoltar
04-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info JarJar! This show basically rocks! It's immensely better that most stuff that gets on the major networks.

JediTricks
04-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Sounds pretty good, dunno if I wanna drop that much on the price though.

Beast
04-03-2003, 04:25 AM
Well, with a $49.95 retail price. If you pre-order or pick it up during the first week of release, you should be able to find it for about $35.00 or so. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks