PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir Dogs: SE DVD - Cheap Marketing Gimmick

Beast
06-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Recently, JT was asking about the cheap marketing gimmick, of re-issuing MIB with a small featurette about MIIB and a trailer. Well, sit back and take a gander at this. They are releasing 5 different covers for Resevoir Dogs on DVD August 27th.

The DVD will be packaged in five different flavors, each themed around one of Reservoir Dogs' five main characters: Mr. Pink, Mr. White, Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde and Mr. Brown. The latter will be available in a more limited capacity than the others.

I don't have a really good picture of the Mr. Brown (Quentin Tarintino) but here is one of the of the other 4 cases. This is a really lame way to sell more copies. Especially since it's just a slip case around the regular DVD case. :p :greedy:

You can read more here: Home Theater Forum (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71599&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=1)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
06-18-2002, 10:55 PM
"heathers" did the same thing when it was released on dvd. took me a while to find the winona cover.:)

2-1B
06-19-2002, 12:18 AM
Reminds me of the AOTC soundtrack. :rolleyes:

:D

SithDroid
06-19-2002, 12:27 AM
Yeah gimmicks like this always make me mad. No matter though, I know which cover I'll be picking up, Mr. Pink.

Eternal Padawan
06-19-2002, 08:07 AM
Mr. Orange for me. It's only a "cheap promotional gimmick to sell more copies" if someone is dumb enough to buy multiple copies of the same DVD when the content on the discs is identical. And anyone dumb enough to do that deserves to get $100+ lifted from them.

I guess the next day we'll see Mr Brown versions on eBay for $$$$

Darth Shifty
06-19-2002, 10:33 AM
I'm just happy they're coming out with the SE DVD. Do you really think anyone will buy all 5 covers?

Beast
06-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth Shifty
I'm just happy they're coming out with the SE DVD. Do you really think anyone will buy all 5 covers?
According to the posts over at HTF, a few people are planning to buy all 5. That's what the company is hoping for, people that are collectors, that have to have 1 of everything. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-19-2002, 12:09 PM
Well, they are pretty foolish! Why not just print off the other covers if they mean that much? There's scans of DVD covers on the web . . . . swipe one and put in in an empty case.

Do you think they might want to give us the extra discs ? ? ? :crazed:

Jayspawn
06-24-2002, 12:13 AM
I hate to say it JarJar, and normally I really hate these things. But I'm a HUGE Reservoir Dogs fan and I'll probably buy the Mr. Brown (Tarantino) and the Mr. White (Keitel) covers. I happen to really fancy those two characters.

Eternal Padawan
09-04-2002, 09:23 AM
I went with the Brown cover and I'm glad I did, because the actual DVD cover has the other four covers on the front split into fourths. So if I ever pine for what the other covers looked like, I can simply look at the DVD cover....

ROLLO!

2-1B
09-04-2002, 01:05 PM
I'd like to meet someone who actually bought all 5 ! :crazed:

The insert booklet is incredibly cheap, and the inner flap is just a rehash of the whopping TWO quotes from the booklet.

Meh, it's going on my shelf without the cardboard jacket anyway . . .

Beast
09-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Just head over to HomeTheaterForum, Caesar. Those wacky people do exist, and they live there. But who are most of us to talk. Alot of us have bought every re-release of the Star Wars movies, even if all they did was change the boxes. Hey, this would be a great idea for Lucas. He could do charecter boxes. Anakin/Padme, Dooku/Yoda, Obi-Wan/Zam, Mace/Jango, and the Limited Edition Jar Jar. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
09-05-2002, 01:06 AM
JarJar, from one DVD fan to another. What do you think of the 'Reservoir Dogs' DVDs now that they'e out? Which cover(s) did you get?

Beast
09-05-2002, 01:13 AM
I actually didn't get any of them, as I haven't seen the movie yet. I will probably get Mr. Brown if I do like the movie once I see it. My Media Play has about 50 copies left. :p I did attempt to rent the movie to see if I would like to own it. But the video store was being cheap, and split the 2-disc set up into seperate Widescreen and Fullscreen rentals, and I think that is really ignorent. :greedy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-05-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I actually didn't get any of them, as I haven't seen the movie yet. . . the video store was being cheap, and split the 2-disc set up into seperate Widescreen and Fullscreen rentals, and I think that is really ignorent. :greedy:

WHAT? :D

More or less ignorant than the sheer existence of Fullscreen? :D
Go out and rent it, silly. And the other gangster pictures we've been talking about. :crazed:

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Just head over to HomeTheaterForum, Caesar. Those wacky people do exist, and they live there. But who are most of us to talk. Alot of us have bought every re-release of the Star Wars movies, even if all they did was change the boxes.

Cool, more power to them. :)
However, "most of us" bought only 1 copy of the AOTC soundtrack, and at least they each offered different bonus material. As for Star Wars videos, I don't see the point in rebuying the packaging either . . . whenever I purchase them, there's new material involved.

If Artisan had actually put the time into crafting a quality variant packaging, maybe it wouldn't seem like such a ripoff to people. The packaging led me to believe that I got a cool Mr. Pink booklet with insight on that particular Dog. Sadly, I was disappointed in a photo-only booklet (well, except for those rehashed quotes) with just a brief character summary under the flap.

To each his own, I just fail to see the value here. ;)

Don't take this as a complaint by any means, I really like the movie and I got what matters to me in the end . . . :)

Prince Xizor
09-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Actually I think Its kind of a cool idea. I mean, if you watched the movie, your gonna have a favorite character and your gonna want to get the cover of that character. If you don't wanna get ripped-off then don't buy the other ones. If you do, your a sap. I would have rather have multiple covers then just one big one.

SithDroid
09-08-2002, 01:02 PM
I bought the Mr. Pink cover. He has always been my favorite, even though it looks like Best Buy ordered way more of Mr. Pink than anyone else. What I don't understand is why did they make two separate discs? One for widescreen and one for full screen. Since almost everything on DVD comes out with only the widescreen format you would think that these morons who like full screen, but have had a DVD player for a while now would be used to the widescreen format and prefer it by now. I used to work in a video store and I always hated explainging to people the difference in the widescreen and full screen versions. People can be so stupid sometimes. Anyway enough rambling about that topic which I could go on for for days.