PDA

View Full Version : The 2 faces of Count Dooku

Tycho
06-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Anybody notice: the Deluxe "Darth Tyranus" has a better head sculpt than the carded figure.

We still need one GOOD figure of Dooku, you think?

LTBasker
06-18-2002, 08:26 PM
Yeah, and we'll get a perfect Dooku figure!...when Tatooine freezes over.

DeadEye
06-18-2002, 08:35 PM
I suppose we could invent a shrinking machine and reduce the 12" Dooku to 3 3/4"...and a shrinking machine would be invented before a good Dooku...or a good Obi-Wan for that matter...unless the pilot version is good...which I wouldn't know since I've yet to find one! :crazed:

Tycho
06-18-2002, 08:45 PM
Obi-Wan? It's not THAT good. I haven't opened mine because I keep a temporary carded wall for each current year. Now I only purchase what I will open, but I only need this 1 Obi-Wan, so....

I'll open him in January and stick him in my starfighter. But I can SEE that the headband is molded on him. Unless I see another loose, and evidence he can double-grip a saber or something, I won't take to customizing. Haven't looked for another pilot anyway, so I have no idea how hard it is to get. Mine fell into my lap so to speak, because I was at KayBee when the case was delivered.

Lord Tenebrous
06-18-2002, 08:49 PM
The only way they could really make Dooku better would be to take out the action feature, which I have by twisting his waist enough to limit it and align his legs better.

He's a single-handed fencer, so with his left arm slightly back, and his right hand pointing his saber down really gives him the aggressive stance he needs.

Maybe I'd also give the figure more sense of weight (less gaunt in the face), but other than that, I'm pleased with it. :)

cameo
06-18-2002, 09:32 PM
Tycho - Obi Wan JSP can hold his saber with both hands, and it looks pretty cool dueling with Dooku. On the downside, I think the CC Obi's head will look a little too small on the JSP body.

Tycho
06-19-2002, 03:43 AM
Thanks Cameo. I appreciate the info!:)

DeadEye
06-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Oh man now I really want that Obi-Wan! :greedy:

Lman316
06-19-2002, 08:46 AM
I agree we need a better Dooku. I know Hasbro will release other versions, but that doesn't necessarily make them "better".
I had a dream that a new Dooku was coming out, but it was similar to the Saga Qui-Gon :crazed:. And although the new Qui isn't that bad (I rather like him), it's just that he's so over-posed. Jedi figures, IMO, should have a lot of articulation for any pose that a Jedi in the movie could do.
Just my two cents.

End :)

brentfett
06-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Are you kidding? Of course we'll get a good Dooku eventually. They'll be re-sculpting him for years!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

mrmiller
06-19-2002, 10:40 AM
There is always the EP3 Dooku :rolleyes:
How about a head swap with the deluxe Obi Wan and the Pilot. Would that be better than the CC Obi? (I don't have a deluxe)

=MATT=

pthfnder89
06-19-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by mrmiller
There is always the EP3 Dooku :rolleyes:
How about a head swap with the deluxe Obi Wan and the Pilot. Would that be better than the CC Obi? (I don't have a deluxe)

=MATT=

That's what I was going to do MrMiller, but there's a problem. The Deluxe ObiWan head sculpt is awful.:( I REALLY liked the one on CC Obi, despite lots of people saying he was too blond, but the Deluxe figures head looks terrible.

Tycho
06-19-2002, 04:29 PM
You know: we had the same problem with E1 Obi-Wan. Hasbro just can't do Ewan McGreggor.

The ONLY E1 figure that somehow had a decent look to Obi-Wan IMO was the 2 pack with him slicing Maul in half. His mouth was open in that "Rage Postal Look" but it was done right. Still, you can't use that head sculpt for most E1 customs, and certainly not for E2. But other than that, they never came close to getting Obi-Wan right.

The 12" Episode ONE being another exception. The E2 twelve inch isn't so bad, but the E1 beats it for likeness.

Sadly, I have nothing too go to say about 3 3/4" Ewans.

pthfnder89
06-19-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
You know: we had the same problem with E1 Obi-Wan. Hasbro just can't do Ewan McGreggor.

The ONLY E1 figure that somehow had a decent look to Obi-Wan IMO was the 2 pack with him slicing Maul in half. His mouth was open in that "Rage Postal Look" but it was done right. Still, you can't use that head sculpt for most E1 customs, and certainly not for E2. But other than that, they never came close to getting Obi-Wan right.

The 12" Episode ONE being another exception. The E2 twelve inch isn't so bad, but the E1 beats it for likeness.

Sadly, I have nothing too go to say about 3 3/4" Ewans.

As I said, I'm pretty fond of the Coruscant Chase Obi Wan, but you're absolutely right about the Ep1 Obis. I've been looking over my Ep1 collection recently and I've been remembering how badly they botched Ewan on all of them. Particularly his hair. The hair on all of them looked bizarre and nothing like Ewan was in the movie.:rolleyes:

Beast
06-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Good Ideas for Future Count Dooku's:

Count Dooku: Geonosian Arena - Decent articulation so that he can sit, as well as a cloth cape. Pack-in his throne/chair from his personal arena box. Maybe make it a cinema scene with Poggle the Lesser and a relaxed stance Jango. :)

Count Dooku: Hanger Duel - A more articulated version of the dark lord. Give him enough articulation to look good battling, and so that he can salute yoda with his saber. Pack in force lightning and his Starship droid. :)

Count Dooku (Deluxe) w/ Speeder - Make him well articulated, with a cloth cape. And of course pack in his Geonosian Speeder that he uses to get to his hanger. :)

Count Dooku: Expanded Universe - Give us a version of him, back when he was a Jedi. Maybe pack-in a padawan Qui-Gon Jinn figure. I know not everyone likes EU, but I think a EU Dooku would be cool. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Unit-01
06-19-2002, 06:31 PM
I did the boiling thing with Dooku(dark lord). I ran him in hot water, bent his arms (tried left hand too), put that clear rubberband (you get with some SW figures)(left them on too) around his wrists and stuck him in the freezer. He doesn't hold the lightsaber perfect because of the left hand but I have him posed with both hands on saber above his head and him look through his arms. like this. /.\

Tycho
06-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Could you post a picture? I'd love to see it. :)

Unit-01
06-19-2002, 09:17 PM
I'll try, but don't hold your breath. :)

JEDIpartner
06-20-2002, 12:15 PM
I was just thinking this last night when I was arranging my display. Deluxe Dooku's head is much better than basic Dooku's. I think the best Obi-Wan head sculpt came in the SnObi-Wan figure. It was closer... or at least more tolerable.

They have a problem getting Ewan's features right. Sad. I fixed the paint detail on my E2 12" of Obi-Wan and it looks MUCH better!!!

Better Dooku... with a POTJ Lando type cape would be most welcome!

MikeAndTheBots
06-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Count Dooku: Expanded Universe - Give us a version of him, back when he was a Jedi. Maybe pack-in a padawan Qui-Gon Jinn figure. I know not everyone likes EU, but I think a EU Dooku would be cool. :)

I actually like that idea JJB. We had enough Maul EU resculpts but he wasn't even that cool and he didn't do much in the movie in the first place. Dooku on the other hand was pretty cool and more important to the overall plot.

N-2PF
06-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Here's a third face of 1 3/4" Dooku:

Beast
06-20-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
I actually like that idea JJB. We had enough Maul EU resculpts but he wasn't even that cool and he didn't do much in the movie in the first place. Dooku on the other hand was pretty cool and more important to the overall plot.
Maul was a one trick pony. I don't see why he's so popular. Sure he looks cool, but charecterwise he's not that great. I'm glad that he was killed off in E1, so we could get a Sith Lord who was a little more elegant, dignified, and refined. Count Dooku fits the mold of what in my mind, makes a Sith Lord. He fits better in with Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader then Maul did. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
06-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Yes, And Dooku was clever enough to have someone else do all the fighting for him....... sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have said that.

I think the Dooku figures are fine in the sculpt but awful in the paint. I dread to think what Christopher lee thinks of the horrible things. Imagine how many he miust be getting thrust under his nose with requests to sign the cardback. Imagine having to endure the horror of seeing yourself miniaturised as a teeny tiny action figure over and over again - and it's a terrible figure at that. Insult on top of injury that's what that is. :rolleyes:

corporal AMF
07-05-2002, 03:49 AM
Hasbro knows nothing............they believe the bad guys would sell, but they gave us only 1 Nute Gunray figure....no neimodians in 4 years.....and 1000's mauls, with 90% of bad sculpts.........
this is madnes!

Tycho
07-06-2002, 02:16 AM
I agree. I want:

TeyHow (Neimoidian Controller)
Dauldry Dofine (Neimoidian captain)

Lott Dodd (E1 Senator)
Lott Dodd (E2 Separatist - if there's a costume difference)

Nute Gunray (E2 Separatist)

I could care less about Nute's holgram. To do what? Make a scene with OOM-9 watching it? Please.

A Luke Skywalker Holo from Jabba's Palace would be better if they want to do Holograms. Same with a Sio-Bibble Holo (packaged with Handmaiden Padme).

SENATOR Palpatine from E1 as a Holo would be cool.

There are more holos, but we were talking about full-size ones I think.

jdmarlow
07-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Tycho,

you are on the ball with that one. There are so many things to be made. I just get a kick out of the choices Hasbro makes sometimes.

KIDD
07-10-2002, 10:32 PM
i heard that dooku will come out delux w/speeder from the hasbro guy at the wizard show here in chicago

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by cameo
Tycho - Obi Wan JSP can hold his saber with both hands, and it looks pretty cool dueling with Dooku. On the downside, I think the CC Obi's head will look a little too small on the JSP body.

I agree.

thespar
07-11-2002, 03:51 PM
i guess no matter who the sith will be people will like them no matter hwo ulgy the toy is.