PDA

View Full Version : Thrawn's Just the FAQs or Just his Opinions???

Beast
06-19-2002, 01:21 AM
I have to laugh about the latest issue of Thrawn's Just the facts. Especially with this question, and Thrawn's answer. :rolleyes:

Q: Are we doomed to Deluxe figures that won't stand by themselves or figures that won't interact the way they should?

A: "Deluxe" seems to mean "shoddy overpriced product" in Hasbro's eyes. Even though these "deluxe" sets are supposed to be for kids, they are often substandard in design, articulation, and/or manufacture, yet they are priced significantly higher than "basic" figures. Since Episode I the "deluxe" line has been treated as a dumping ground for junk Hasbro thinks kids want, yet without the quality kids and collectors deserve... especially at an inflated price.
Since the E1 deluxe line, the deluxe line has been treated as a dumping ground? The hell? I do believe that the Luke w/ Bacta Tank, Darth Maul: Shirtless, Princess Leia: Slave Girl, and Amanaman have all been deluxe figures, that were excellent figures. The Mace Windu, Nexu, C-3PO w/ Battle Droid, and probably the upcoming Yoda are all excellent figures as well. And the force flipping figures are pretty darn fun. No offense to Thrawn, but I believe he overlooks the good stuff, half the time. And this is a good example of him instead of delivering "Just the Facts", delivers "Just his Opinion". :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 01:27 AM
Then theres the deluxe Mace which isn't all that bad, and the POTF2 deluxe Snowtrooper and Hoth Rebel Soldier. The cannons were nicely sculpted and detailed, the Snowtrooper wasn't all that great but they were at least "new" sculpts and the Hoth Rebel Soldier is actually an ok army-builder figure.

Also the deluxe flipping figures are kinda cool. They will work occasionally, you just gotta fiddle with them for a little, but they do work. Even if more times they land on their behinds rather than their feet. :D When you're not playing with them you can actually display them on one of the platform pieces in a rather ok duel scene.

Beast
06-19-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by jingofett
I thinkin yousa no likin thrawn.Thrawn should be the shoddy overpriced product. thrawn should also be the dumping ground for junk Hasbro thinks kids want. LOL
:rolleyes:

saladin
06-19-2002, 04:02 AM
i hope he is gone, people like that are worst then scalpers.

sideswipe1984
06-19-2002, 08:44 AM
Getting back on topic....

With a couple of obvious exceptions which you mentioned, JarJar (Bacta Luke, Amanaman, Leia), I would agree with Thrawn's assesment. The deluxe line, more often than not, tends to offer figures that are substandard in comparison to the basic line. As mentioned, there are no absolutes, and I know there have been some exceptions (as far as I am concerned, all of those exceptions were from POTJ), but , by and large, I would say that the Deluxe figures have been shoddy.

Lman316
06-19-2002, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I too like the POTJ Deluxe, but some of the Saga stuff has just been below par (Jango Fett comes to mind). They often reminded me of the Episode 1 Deluxe figures, and those just looked like crap, IMO.
On 4/23 (oh, how long ago that was...), I opened my Deluxe Mace. It looked cool and I thought it was going to be cool, but I was in for a shock. Upon freeing him from the plastic prision, I noticed that this Mace had no foot holes, the Battle Droid didn't have them either, Mace's magnet was the weakest I'd seen at that point and the Battle Droid was just flimsy. All this not to mention that Mace was stuck in one pose.
That night (I think I stayed up 'til 2 A.M. opening :D), I desperately tried to get Windu to stand up with the Battle Droid trapped in that Force effect. But almost every time, Mace would lean in that direction, towards the droid.
I kept asking, "How hard is it to put in some foot holes?" (I could have used a stand) and "Deluxe means pay more for less."
In the end though, I returned that Mace and got a later one with foot holes, yet the magnet was still horrible.
All in all, I think it's hit or miss and it's a matter of opinion. But some of them could be better. Like the Mace, if his right arm had a bicep or elbow swivel and his left arm had a ball joint at the shoulder, this would be the best Mace so far....even though it still is because Primal Scream sucks :p.
But again, I think some are good, and others are bad.

End :).

mrmiller
06-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Again, how much was the last run of POTJ deluxe figures? They're are now around $10 everywhere, but before that they were like $15 or so. To me they were way overpriced- especially the Amanaman, but I didn't think they were "shoddy". The first run of Deluxe figures (Han, Luke, Boba, Stormtrooper) were pretty horrible, but they have all be much better since (unless you consider thoose crappy gunner stations deluxe figs).

=MATT=

sideswipe1984
06-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Well, Thrawn was speaking to the "Episode I and later" lines - not POTF2, so that is what I was addressing. In those lines, I stand by my comments. Save for the last POTJ deluxe assortment, the figures were substandard.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Just as with anything, I suppose we should realize that at times people's opinions creep into their facts. I can see Thrawn's point about some of the deluxe stuff being crap, but there's plenty of regular figures that fall into that category. BTW, that last portion was my opinion. ;)

misthunter210
06-19-2002, 10:31 AM
My local TRU has the POTJ deluxe for $4.95. Thats the Amanaman and Leia Deluxe by the way.

2-1B
06-19-2002, 12:03 PM
It's not my understanding that the feature is meant to be purely factual and without comment since it is not called "Just the Facts."
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions, so while Thrawn is basing his answers on factual knowledge from his sources I do think there is room for his opinions as well.

pthfnder89
06-19-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
It's not my understanding that the feature is meant to be purely factual and without comment since it is not called "Just the Facts."
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions, so while Thrawn is basing his answers on factual knowledge from his sources I do think there is room for his opinions as well.

A very good point Caesar. Although I don't particularly agree with Thrawns opinions on the Deluxe figures, as a huge contributor of this site he is perfectly welcome to share them on the front page. It's nice to have a personal touch mixed in with the latest news, which is one reason I like SirStevesGuide.com so much.

I may not agree with the opinions, but I appreciate that they are there.:)

Lord Tenebrous
06-19-2002, 12:45 PM
As a whole, the Deluxe line is a series of bold experiments gone horribly wrong. Up until POTJ, there were about three that captured the movie while enhancing play value, but most of them were shoddy resculpts (Episode 1), or ill-conceived figures (crowd control Stormtrooper, heavy-artillery Fett)

Even POTJ was low on increased sculpt and play. Amanaman could have easily fit into a bubble the size of Saesee Tiin's. Leia was nice, but the cannon was not glued properly, and all eight pieces are now sitting in a bag. Maul suffered from poor facial painting, loose joints and that dreadful sin of making the villain look "sexy". Luke almost passes, except for the fact that by the time you found the set, the large bubble was smashed or ripped. A box would have been better suited for shipping (and when out-of-use, for storing).

So it is shoddy. The only time they get the things right is when the figure shouldn't be a bubble-packed deluxe in the first place.

whocares
06-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Although I don't particularly agree with Thrawns opinions on the Deluxe figures, as a huge contributor of this site he is perfectly welcome to share them on the front page.

<sarcasm>

I also really like the way Thrawn promotes his eBay auctions on the main page... :greedy:

</sarcasm>

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Actually I think the POTF2 Deluxe line appealed more to kids, same with the E1 line and now the E2 line. The POTJ line you can tell was definitely directed towards collectors.

Deluxe Luke with his speeder was awesome when I got it (I was 8 in '95) and so was the Han with Smuggler pack, the sucker had some nice big guns on there that flipped out, and that really attracts a kid's attention. :D The Stormtrooper was ok, Boba Fett wasn't bad, and the Probe Droid was great! I don't see how we could've seen it made any other way at that point. My favorite deluxes though are the Deluxe Hoth Rebel and Deluxe Snowtrooper, they just really add to Hoth dioramas, especially with the cannons that are quite accurate. :happy:

hango fett
06-19-2002, 05:25 PM
well, we got rid of one a-hole (pardon my french :)) now we can get back to our matter at hand. i think that thrawn just wants to have publicity or wants to be know for something on the web..uh...........yeah...
peace
hango

Hellboy
06-19-2002, 06:45 PM
I don't mind Thrawn including his opinion in his posts but he should state that it is exactly that, HIS opinion.

I however do not fully agree with him on this point as others have stated there have been some great Deluxe figures of late. I like the entire POTJ Deluxe line and from the Saga line I like Mace as well as the Nexu. There have been some pretty bad ones as well, such as Saga's Jango and the first batch from 95.

I only buy the ones I like and wait for the others to go on clearance, because they always do. As long as Hasbro keeps the price at $10 keep them coming I say but what was the deal with the POTJ line costing $16 at Target?

Tycho
06-19-2002, 07:45 PM
The Worthless (to me):

Han Smuggler Flight Pack - his straps molded on and the fact that the character never used anything like that.

Boba Fett Armor Attack - another ridiculous oversized thing.

The OK:

Luke Tatooine Skiff - I used that Luke in my bar scene because the hole in his back can't be seen in the crowd. The Skiff I'm going to put a Weequay on in an EU scene from Outlander where they actually used such devices to fight the Tuskens (A'sharad Hett's first comic)

Obi-Wan E2 - Haven't opened him yet. But I wanted that pose for a scene. I shopped around a lot for one with blonde eyebrows because it bothered me that all the figures looked like Dawson's Creek. No holes and magnets on the bottom of the feet don't help him. You have to use the landing platform for the action feature for a display stand or balance him against another figure.

Dooku - I wanted a different pose for some scenes. The head sculpt is better than the carded one, too. No holes and magnets on the bottom of the feet don't help him. You have to use the landing platform for the action feature for a display stand or balance him against another figure. The action feature is somewhat more fun than the E1 Deluxe, but the figures are even less versatile, so I rank these under the E1's.

The Somewhat Better:

Stormtrooper Crowd Control: I used this in an EU scene and it's small enough that it looks like it's possibly weilded by a high tech Imp army.

Jango Fett - just don't pose him in a scene where you look at him from behind. This figure looks nice with all its gear on, but it's limited to pose and you can't make a "disarmed Jango" without making a Jango dead, gutted from the back. If the Acklays entrails will fit in there, I'll re-evaluate this figure! But it was fun putting him together ...until I got the 12" Jango. THAT figure is awesome!

The Good:

Qui-Gon - just used them for different poses in my 3-way duel I re-enacted in about 7 permanent scenes. The action feature was fun because I needed something to do on the flight home from Denver and Celebration I. Those lightsaber handles are useless to me now.

Darth Maul -just used them for different poses in my 3-way duel I re-enacted in about 7 permanent scenes. The action feature was fun because I needed something to do on the flight home from Denver and Celebration I. Those lightsaber handles are useless to me now.

Obi-Wan -just used them for different poses in my 3-way duel I re-enacted in about 7 permanent scenes. The action feature was fun because I needed something to do on the flight home from Denver and Celebration I. Those lightsaber handles are useless to me now.

Amanaman - pretty cool, but worth a deluxe price? Should have always been having him made without a Fans' Choice Poll, and could've carded him on a POTJ / Saga card in the first place.

Mace - needed holes in the feet some say - I think mine has holes in his feet! Yup. He definitely does! Is there a variation out there? But the battledroid, while an appropriate accessory, was poorly constructed, or at least could have been better with holes in its feet. Good sculpt on Mace though. I bought this figure for several scenes.

Anakin vs. Geonosian - he's OK. The 3-way sliced Geonosian is great! Wished he held together better, but with patience, it works. Then Anakin can double-grip his lightsaber. You'd think his soft-goods over-tunic would help him fit in the speeder - that's why I bought it. But his large twist-the-pin action feature in the back keeps him from sitting in the seat flat. Nice Try Hasbro...not sarcastic, just a little disappointed.

The Super-Awesome:

Snowtrooper with Tri-pod E-webb Cannon - uh, movie authentic means "good"

Hoth Rebel Soldier with Radar Dish Cannon - no Goatee was the best feature, but everything else was perfect too!

Slave Leia - not sure she's right for this category, but definitely in the Good range. Her accessory is equivalent to the other two in this category, and they are resculpts also. I think it just bugs me that she's a main-character resculpt. But she can lie down with the cloth skirt, so switch her with the original Slave Leia, and put the Holo-Card / FF Leia on the cannon, and the new one with Jabba, and everything's perfect.

Darth Maul - the first EU figure from a comic book in a long time (since the Dark Empire figures). That makes him cool for me. Quality could've still been better (on keeping his articulation from helping him look like he'll fall apart) but the droid was not as impressive as accessory as could be. In the comic, there was that droid, and 3 others he fought all at once. At least another one could have helped give Maul more accessories.

Luke Bacta - when it's good, it's good! Luke borders on being a playset, and it fits FX-7, so ....it also borders on being the best.

The Nexu - electronic, big figure, at least we're not being charged a beast assortment price for, detailed mouth. OK. I like it.

Forhekset
06-19-2002, 08:23 PM
The 4 Deluxe POTJ figures all rule if you ask me, especially Bacta Tank Luke and shirtless Darth Maul (awesome sculpt). Some of the old POTF2 Deluxe are pretty hit and miss (what were they thinking with that Han figure? Horrible idea). I think the Episode II Deluxe figs are a lot more gimmicky and silly, and most of them so far should be tossed in with those Slave I/Jedi Starfighter keychains and junk. I looked at that Deluxe Anakin last weekend and even at the sale price of $7.44 I just could NOT bring myself to buy that awful-looking piece of garbage. However, I did get the Nexu today and I love that thing. :D

Hellboy
06-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
I looked at that Deluxe Anakin last weekend and even at the sale price of $7.44 I just could NOT bring myself to buy that awful-looking piece of garbage. However, I did get the Nexu today and I love that thing. :D

This is how I felt as well but wanted the sliced up Genosian Warrior for the Arena Playset when it comes out. So I took the robe I pulled off one of my Nikto Jedi and put it on Deluxe Anakin and it was like magic, I now have my first dead jedi for my arena scene:D

JediTricks
06-20-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions, so while Thrawn is basing his answers on factual knowledge from his sources I do think there is room for his opinions as well. Thank goodness, someone gets it.

I totally agree with Thrawn on the deluxe issue, these things are at least ten dollars and often have substandard design and paint in exchange for some gimmick Hasbro thinks buyers want. If Hasbro wants to call them "deluxe figures" at a higher price, then shouldn't they be BETTER than their "basic" counterparts instead of worse? Lord Tenebrous makes great points, there is often something that is a trade-off with these deluxes, if it weren't this way, would almost every deluxe figure in the past 7 years have gone to clearance? KB has all 4 POTJ deluxes sitting for $7 each, that's half-off, the price of a regular figure, yet they're still sitting there.

Who deserves substandard quality at higher prices?

Originally posted by whocares
<sarcasm>
I also really like the way Thrawn promotes his eBay auctions on the main page... :greedy:
</sarcasm> Are you saying he does this, or is your sarcasm saying he doesn't? I cannot think of one instance in the 3 years I've been working on this site where Thrawn has put a link to one of his auctions in the SSG news.

Originally posted by Hellboy
I only buy the ones I like and wait for the others to go on clearance, because they always do. As long as Hasbro keeps the price at $10 keep them coming I say but what was the deal with the POTJ line costing $16 at Target? Doesn't the fact that they ALWAYS go on clearance tell you something about them?

Look at these posts, it's not like there's a huge love-fest for all the figures, everybody has at least one "huge stinker" they can think of from the modern line, many of them have a LOT of "huge stinkers" and a lot of "not so great" choices. I dunno, the deluxe line seems like a slap in the face from Hasbro when you take into consideration how few deluxe figures are widely considered "great" by most collectors compared to the higher price, larger array of gimmicks, and lack of quality construction.

Tycho
06-20-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
[B]Thank goodness, someone gets it.

I totally agree with Thrawn on the deluxe issue, these things are at least ten dollars and often have substandard design and paint in exchange for some gimmick Hasbro thinks buyers want. If Hasbro wants to call them "deluxe figures" at a higher price, then shouldn't they be BETTER than their "basic" counterparts instead of worse? Lord Tenebrous makes great points, there is often something that is a trade-off with these deluxes, if it weren't this way, would almost every deluxe figure in the past 7 years have gone to clearance? KB has all 4 POTJ deluxes sitting for $7 each, that's half-off, the price of a regular figure, yet they're still sitting there.

Who deserves substandard quality at higher prices?

I also agree.

Are you saying he does this, or is your sarcasm saying he doesn't? I cannot think of one instance in the 3 years I've been working on this site where Thrawn has put a link to one of his auctions in the SSG news.

I agree again. I've been involved with the site since 1997 and I've never seen Thrawn do that once!

Doesn't the fact that they ALWAYS go on clearance tell you something about them?

Exactly.

Look at these posts, it's not like there's a huge love-fest for all the figures, everybody has at least one "huge stinker" they can think of from the modern line, many of them have a LOT of "huge stinkers" and a lot of "not so great" choices. I dunno, the deluxe line seems like a slap in the face from Hasbro when you take into consideration how few deluxe figures are widely considered "great" by most collectors compared to the higher price, larger array of gimmicks, and lack of quality construction.

While I made some comments that I found uses and appreciation for the E1 Deluxe Figures (the Jedi v Sith stuff) it's not like I asked Hasbro to make that, or flipping figures for that matter.

When I think of deluxe figures, and what they should be, I think of the Hoth Rebel Soldier or the Luke Bacta figures.

I do like what LtBasker said though: the Han Smuggler inspired a kid's imagination (when he was younger). I'm sure even today he could feel differently about that figure than a lot of us (myself included) who couldn't stand the site of it. Now it's a nostalgic curiosity, but to Basker, it was a good memory and that's really cool. I'm happy for him.

I don't know if the flipping figures inspire a kid's imagination, or the Jedi Duel ones did. Find a kid and ask them. Ask a lot of them. But as JediTricks said, look at how many of those things go on clearance!!! They can't be that popular and parents don't think they're worth the money either. When Maul carded was hard to find, the deluxe helped a few parents satisfy the kid's demand I'm sure, because initially they did sell (deluxe Maul). But that was only because scalpers were buying the 4 Mauls per case at 4 at a time! (or more) That didn't seem to work for Dooku (LOL) Neither Jango, though with a little more success than the count. But other than that, while I made use of these figures because I wanted to buy "something" and didn't care too much as to "what," I didn't ask for these and I don't appreciate most of them like I do other SW figures I really did want.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

I don't know if the flipping figures inspire a kid's imagination, or the Jedi Duel ones did. Find a kid and ask them. Ask a lot of them. But as JediTricks said, look at how many of those things go on clearance!!! They can't be that popular and parents don't think they're worth the money either.

I dunno...they're kinda fun. :D Once you get'em to work of course. Have you tried putting the figures in a duel on your fridge? Good way to get a humorous eyeroll out of a family member early in the morning. :evil:

The only one who doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves is Jango, Mace is non-existant here as I haven't seen it since I put the rest of my 4/23 stuff in lay-away 3 days after. The force flipping figures seem to be selling, not in huge amounts though. I think Jango is selling because kids just want Jango.

I think one major gripe over the Deluxe Boba Fett is that fact that he was displayed on the back of the card with his blaster (and I think his jetpack) but he didn't come with either and he was in the ESB paintjob instead of the colorful more appealing ROTJ one.

I think the kicker about the Amanaman and Deluxe POTJ Maul is that that would probably be a basic figures if released in the saga line which would've taken them right down from 9.99+ to 4.77/99 currently. I dunno how big Amanaman is but I'd guess he'd fit the package, I know Maul would. Dunno about the probe droid, but that could've been scaled down a little to fit in the package.

whocares
06-20-2002, 06:49 AM
I cannot think of one instance in the 3 years I've been working on this site where Thrawn has put a link to one of his auctions in the SSG news.

You are right... he doesn't post a link.

BUT the errors he finds are always described as HUGE, BIGGEST ONE YET, AMAZING, etc...

And they show up on eBay minutes after he promotes them on the SSG front page.

IMHO, that is a conflict of interest.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 06:51 AM

You are right... he doesn't post a link.

BUT the errors he finds are always described as HUGE, BIGGEST ONE YET, AMAZING, etc...

And they show up on eBay minutes after he promotes them on the SSG front page.

IMHO, that is a conflict of interest.

I think that's mostly just people trying to make an easy buck because they heard that.

Only one that I've seen that is truly a dissapointment is the R2-D2 with missing kouhuns that I heard he boasted about and then he was the one who put it on ebay.

whocares
06-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Only one that I've seen that is truly a dissapointment is the R2-D2 with missing kouhuns that I heard he boasted about and then he was the one who put it on ebay. [/B]

Here is another example from just the other day:

http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=330

And here is the eBay link posted the same day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1741078269

pthfnder89
06-20-2002, 12:42 PM

Here is another example from just the other day:

http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=330

And here is the eBay link posted the same day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1741078269

whocares - Thrawn posts news about every single error and variation that he knows of. Most of them are sent to him by SSG readers, and some of them (such as this) he finds himself.

He never posts a link to any of these auctions and he NEVER even mentions that he is selling them. I have also never seen him state that any of these errors are extremely valuable and that any readers should go out and find one. He also posts quite often the difference between a variation, which is hard to find and sometimes valuable, and an error, which is one of a kind an usually worthless.

ChemOx
06-20-2002, 04:56 PM
I dont mind the deluxe line, minus the price. I like the features of the deluxe mace.....but I just could drive myself to buy him because of that dumb smile on his face. It just irks me. It makes me envision him "frolicking in a meadow, skipping, holding hands with Julie Andrews". And mace is my fav Ep II character, and I STILL cant buy the deluxe fig.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:12 PM
If you don't plan on keeping it, don't buy it, or return it to the store.

Beast
06-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Deluxe Mace is only so happy, because Kit Fisto was kind enough share the secret of his prize winning smile with him. :D :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
06-20-2002, 07:40 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Probe Droid yet. Sure, he could have had articulated arms, but overall, it wasn't that bad.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:52 PM
The Probe Droid was great, his arm articulation wasn't too bad, it would be nice if they redid it and made it FX-7 quality and packed it as a Deluxe pack-in with a new Hoth Han.

Forhekset
06-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
The Probe Droid was great, his arm articulation wasn't too bad, it would be nice if they redid it and made it FX-7 quality and packed it as a Deluxe pack-in with a new Hoth Han.

That's a great idea...then they can release a new Hoth Luke with mega-articulation and a deluxe Wampa w/ ice cave mini-playset, complete with "footholes" in a small ceiling area for Luke to hang from. :D Well, I can dream, anyway....

JediTricks
06-22-2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
When I think of deluxe figures, and what they should be, I think of the Hoth Rebel Soldier or the Luke Bacta figures.

I do like what LtBasker said though: the Han Smuggler inspired a kid's imagination (when he was younger). I'm sure even today he could feel differently about that figure than a lot of us (myself included) who couldn't stand the site of it. Now it's a nostalgic curiosity, but to Basker, it was a good memory and that's really cool. I'm happy for him. I agree totally with that first paragraph.

On the 2nd one, I actually would have accepted Deluxe Han from POTF2 better if his deluxe backpack wasn't such a poorly-executed piece of junk. It barely gets in front of him, it barely closes right, and it could have been so much more. For one thing, as a smuggler's backpack,it probably should have had a hidden compartment just big enough to hold Han's blaster, but more importantly, it should have had grabber arms that weren't junky.

That's my take on these, some of the weaker ones could have been at least passable if they had simply been of better quality, but far too often, they aren't.

--

ChemOx, I bought the Deluxe Mace a while back, it's an OK figure, but what's frustrating about that smile is that it's not on the packaging prototype picture. On the prototype pic on the packaging, his eyebrows are more "angry" and the smile somehow seems like a grimmace instead. I like the figure, and I'll keep it over the BASIC version, but it could have been better.

Lord Tenebrous
07-01-2002, 03:07 PM
Q: On the Kmart 14-Pack Exclusive set, do the figures have the hard to find backgrounds?

A: Hard to find? They aren't hard to find. It is possible that some could come w/BGs. Doubtful all will. Plus the price sucks. $20 over retail.

Try $7.14.

Suggested retail is $5.99, and at $6.42, the price wasn't too bad when the set was first offered 4/23. With tax and shipping, the Kmart set was $102.14. At $5.99, the price would be $95.

So it was a decent buy before the $1 price deduction. With the current Kmart price ($5.49), the set would be $89.01. If Walmart offered a similar set (it doesn't), it would be $78.83. But again, that wasn't the case in April.

Beast
07-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Yeah Lord Tenebrous, I found that funny myself. I guess he must have forgotten that the figures were more expensive back in April. :p :rolleyes: I really like this one myself. :)

Q: Now that everything is out, what are you seeing as the harder ones to get?

A: The latest wave is always the hardest to get. While Yoda and Dooku may not be clogging the pegs, itís not over. Hasbro is slow to figure things out, so donít be surprised if they start shipping those figures in bulk like they did with Maul in 1999.

Gee, yeah they are so slow to figure things out. That's why at Celebration II they said they knew there was still demand for Yoda's and Dooku's. So they would continue to ship more of that case, as well as include them in future assortments. And suprise suprise, there are 2 yoda's and 1 Dooku in the very next case. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thespar
07-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Alot of the questions that the people ask come down to want a opion. You all should know the old saying.

JediTricks
07-02-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Try $7.14.

Suggested retail is $5.99, and at $6.42, the price wasn't too bad when the set was first offered 4/23. With tax and shipping, the Kmart set was $102.14. At $5.99, the price would be $95.

So it was a decent buy before the $1 price deduction. With the current Kmart price ($5.49), the set would be $89.01. If Walmart offered a similar set (it doesn't), it would be $78.83. But again, that wasn't the case in April. Kmart is selling figs for $4.99 around here still, and the question is being answered now, not retroactively for April. Heck, if it was JT's FAQ column, I would have mentioned that these 14 figures are fairly easy to find at $4.99 each these days without dropping extra for shipping or the higher price or the risk of the case-packed-figs being mangled as some cases have been known to contain in the Saga line.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Gee, yeah they are so slow to figure things out. That's why at Celebration II they said they knew there was still demand for Yoda's and Dooku's. So they would continue to ship more of that case, as well as include them in future assortments. And suprise suprise, there are 2 yoda's and 1 Dooku in the very next case. :DCurrently, the only case I know of with these 2 is the one with 2 Yodas and 2 Dookus in a case that retailers are still having trouble selling the case-mates of. And now that demand has died down a bit for these 2, what other cases are they in stores with at this very moment? If they knew at Cel2 that there was an issue about Yoda and Dooku, then how come they didn't rectify that issue back then? And even if you are correct about this new case with the 2 Yodas and 1 Dooku (I haven't seen it confirmed online), it's 3 months later, Hasbro did better getting the entire Bespin Vader wave out in several assortments and that was totally AFTER Yoda/Dooku.

Beast
08-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Thrawn amuses me again. He seems to consider me a threat to his little FAQ 5 Questions thing. I only find his idea of errors laughable. But he could atleast have the damn respect to capatalize my name.

I don't go around not capping his name when ever I mention him. Didn't he learn in school that proper names are supposed to be capped. That is just rude, and pretty much a slap in the face from him. Since not capping someone's name on purpose, shows that you consider yourself more important then them.

The Last FAQ for July!
I just found your site and I Love your section. - MK

Thanks! I attribute it to not listening to people like jar jar binks. - Thrawn

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Herby
08-01-2002, 08:25 AM
I'd just like to point out that he was only referring to the EPI and on deluxe line...let's see...

EPI had three figures in the Deluxe line, correct?
Deluxe Obiwan
Deluxe QuiGon
Deluxe Maul

They all were pretty lame...just figures w/ sticks

So the tally is Good = 0, Bad = 3

Then we get the POTJ deluxe stuff:
Slave Leia
Amanaman
Luke in Bacta (Sweet!)
Topless Maul

I'd argue that all of these are good figures (I know some people groaned about Maul, but the paint job was cool, the droid was cool, and I think he was a great change of pace from the other Mauls).

So...the tally becomes: Good = 4, Bad = 3

Now...EPII

Let's assume you don't like the flipping figure gimmick:
Flipping Obiwan
Flipping Dooku

Then you have:
Deluxe Mace w/ Droid
Deluxe Ani w/ Geonosian
Both of these are far from shoddy, and a pretty good value.

And:
Nexu
Yoda
C3PO
These are the way most of us would like the line to stay...

Tally: Good = 9, Bad = 5
Even if you hated shirtless Maul, the good has certainly outweighed the bad. If you like the flipping figures, you're in heaven with the deluxe line. Certainly not the shoddy quality Thrawn indicates.

I will say that in Thawn's defense the question seemed to ask for an opinion. Maybe it was simply a poor question to choose to answer in that type of arena.

JediTricks
08-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Herby, the Nexu, Yoda, C3PO, and Deluxe Ani w/ Geonosian weren't out when Thrawn answered this question, so that's 5 to 5 by your count.

Me personally, I think Deluxe Mace w/ Droid isn't that great, I definitely wouldn't put him in the "bad" category but neither would I place him in the "good" either. I like the one I have, but it's got a lot of problems. I like my flipping Dooku and even the Ep 1 Deluxe figures, I even like Deluxe Boba Fett from POTF2 a little too, but they all seem to be of inferior quality at higher prices.

In any event, if even 1/3rd of the line is that bad and they ALL suffer from inferior materials, paint, and/or manufacturing at this $10 price point, it seems like a very weak line.

Herby
08-02-2002, 10:13 PM
I'd easily argue that this is not a weak line, especially when you compare it to the 12" stuff they've been putting out. I actually have the Mace and really like it. Again, I think it's a matter of opinion. As far as poor materials, I'm not sure if I'd agree. Other than the price, I have no problems with the line (although I skipped the flipping figures). I certainly don't think they ALL suffer from inferior materials, paint or otherwise. I can't see anything inferior w/ Bacta Luke, Leia, shirtless Maul, Amanaman, or Mace (the only ones I bought). One floppy weapon certainly doens't mean Amanaman is a terrible figure. I'm not sure about the Mace criticism. I will add, however, that I realy wish they could lower the price point since they did lower the other figures.

The original purpose of this thread I still agree with, that section of the site was not an appropriate forum to answer that question. If you want answers to questions, a personal opinion on the line isn't really what anyone gives a darn about.

rynobot
08-02-2002, 11:43 PM
then there is alot of questions that can't be answered Herby, weather a figure is good or bad is the person's opinion and can only be answered with one. The Deluxe Mace is not a great figure nor is the battle droid that came with it, I was never able to keep my droid in one peice and the Mace pose was horrible, so far the best Mace is from Episode 1. You also forgot to include the Deluxe Jango, which wasn't that great, with bulky armor and hollowed out body. The deluxe Anakin wasn't great, it's gimmick hardly works, and if you take off the soft goods then you can see how bad it is. The Sliced Genoisan warrior is nice, but it doesn't make up for the horrible Anakin. The Nexu is great, yet it is a beast on a deluxe card. I still haven't seen the Yoda or C-3PO but from the carded pics and loose pics it does look like Hasbro used cheap rubbery plastic for the Accessories, and JJB said that the SBD has his arm stuck in a firing position. Of course these are just my opinions, but that is all one can offer on a message board:)

Turbowars
08-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Thank you thank you, jar jar, oh sorry JarJarBinks! I aways wondered why he calls it just the FAQ's. Most of his answers are his opinion, but he states them as fact. He has a problem with errors and variations. I happen to value errors and find them interesting and Thrawn always replies with, worth nothing, infact less. Take it back and get a replacement. Now that maybe what he thinks, but many as myself do like them.