PDA

View Full Version : Forget the scalpers!

OriginalBryGuy
06-19-2002, 02:29 PM
Man, I leave for a week or so and all I see are threads devoted to how much people hate scalpers.

Really, I understand. They've kept me from getting the new stuff since '95 but it's the same story now, as it was then - you just can't stop it.

Scalpers are going to get to the stores when they open, and go during the twilight hours to get figures.

Stores that carry figures don't care. They care about making a profit so they will many times go out of their way to help scalpers if it helps them sell figures. They don't want them to sit on toy shelves forever.

I don't like scalping but it's part of the collecting world. We can't stop it. It's not going to stop, and it will continue till the last Star Wars figure is sold years from now.

The only way to combat it is to play dirty.

If you want a figure, don't whine about it, get to the stores early and check often. If you look hard enough you'll find it. Don't buy scalper prices on Ebay.

If it's a vintage figure, or a figure that's not in the 'Now Saga' line, go for it. You won't find it in a store so what's the point worrying about how much someone charges. If you want it, suck it up and buy it.

Otherwise, forget it. Worrying about scalping is the least a good collector should worry about.

Cubehead
06-19-2002, 03:22 PM
I can not disagree more with the above statements.

"you just can't stop it"- Bullsh*t, I have personally put several local scalpers out of the SW business for good. Here's how. Make some friends, set a schedule for your toy runs and pick a good store. Make sure everyone has a different shift. Also try to pinpoint exactly when your store recieves product. If you ask they will tell you when shipments are coming in. With this technique you can literally own a store. I have forced local scalpers to abandon coming to my store because they know that my fellow collectors and I have a tight hold on our territory.

"Suck it up and buy it"- I don't think so. Supporting scalpers helps perpetuate their bloodsucking existance. If you want to make sure you'll have a hard time finding stuff, buy from a scalper. You'll only encourage them, causing them to hoard up more of the products you love. DON'T EVER support these sleazebags.

I will never give in to those scalping scumbags. I will never stop supporting the resistance movement against them. I will never stop telling the world exactly what peices of Sh*t they really are!

OriginalBryGuy
06-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Cubehead, I don't think you're getting my point. If you want to go through all that trouble fine, but it's not going to stop it everywhere, and stopping it everywhere is what would count in the end.

I applaud the effort tho, really, but most good collectors just want to get the figures they want, and go home.

And I think you misunderstood my "suck it up and buy it" I'm talking about figures that you can't always find at the stores. There are networks that can help you find past figures, but again, something like Ebay or online stores are reaching a global audience, not some small store in BFE. People are going to patronize these places, and as more collectors get the internet, and faster internet it will only happen more.

We all know scalpers are S***. We've always known it since we all started collecting. People like yourself have been fighting the good fight since '95, believe me, I was there, I remember, but since then it hasn't changed, it's only gotten worse.

I'm not saying give up, I'm just saying either stop *****ing and do what you can, or don't worry about it, cause if this last wave is any indication there isn't a dent being made to hinder the scalper cause. If a scalper gets run out of one store he or she is going to find one a few miles away.

I live here in Indianapolis, and since Celebration II you wouldn't believe the amount people are charging for Jorg figures. Scalpers are a plenty, but there is a limit to what people can do.

ChemOx
06-19-2002, 03:54 PM
ehhh.......I have done the store stakeout waiting for shipments......but I found I have better things to do with my time and I will just turn and be patient.....they will eventually be available in droves if I wait.

QLD
06-19-2002, 09:24 PM
I can't decide who is more silly, the scalpers themselves, or the people who get so worked up over them.

Wooooof
06-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
If you want a figure, don't whine about it, get to the stores early and check often. If you look hard enough you'll find it. Don't buy scalper prices on Ebay.

This is a pretty ignorant statement and it makes all kinds of assumptions about SW collectors. First off some of us do have better things to do than haunt stores at all hours of the morning. You know, things like jobs, school, family. We don't take thrill in the hunt and just want the figures to be there when we actually get some time to go look for them. Why is that so hard for the "thrill of the hunt" people to understand?

There is also the issue of many stores not stocking the new figures but selling them out the back door to scalpers directly, or the store employees being the scalpers themselves. Basically, in order to get the new figures anywhere within three months of their release requires you to be a stockboy at K-Mart or Wal-Mart. The scalpers outnumber the collectors in my town.

So don't be so quick to just assume that we are lazy, whiners who only complain because we don't get off our *sses and actually look for the figures. It's not that simple.

OriginalBryGuy
06-20-2002, 09:11 AM
Woooof, you're not getting me either.

If collectors can't find figures they shouldn't always just blame scalpers. There's lots of reasons figures don't end up in stores.

I'm saying collectors (this includes myself) shouldn't waste their time whining about scalpers and maybe spend more time looking for the figures they want.

Jonna
06-20-2002, 10:40 AM
Alright, I am actually going to try to stop an argument instead of incite one for once.

I think what we can all agree about is that scalpers SU*K and they are going to come out of their holes every time there is money to be made. Especially in a capitalist society , where they are going to decend like hordes. I think that one of the points trying to be made is that unless we risk going to jail, there is not much we can do to stop scalping. And if there is not much that we can do, then it gets really tedious complaining about it all the time.

If you want something so bad that you have to go to ebay to get it or drive around to different stores to find it, then that is what it is worth to you. If you don't, then you don't. Plain and simple.

So to recap: Scalpers=Rats / Value=Worth / Constant complaining without exceptable action to rectify the problem=Annoying

QLD
06-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Jonna, I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, I could have, but you beat me to it. :)

Jonna
06-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Jonna, I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, I could have, but you beat me to it. :)

Ha Ha!!!:p

"Who's laughing now, who's laughing now!!!"--Ash