PDA

View Full Version : WAL-Mart music selection no good

scruffziller
06-19-2002, 02:43 PM
I work at Wal-Mart and I can't stand the fact that the only thing they sell is edited CDs. Even if they have no curse words on them the content is still explicit. My last edited CD I got there was Eminem's Slim Shady LP. Didn't realize at that time they were only carrying edited. I haven't bought a CD there that has said "edited" since then.

Wooooof
06-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Uh, well, the obvious solution is to just buy your CDs at Best Buy or Circuit City or Target or wherever. They never edit their CDs.

But then again I never buy all that "explicit" music anyway (if you can't make your point without cursing every three seconds then you shouldn't be allowed to own a tongue). You should stick with proper music.;)

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Yeah, Wal-Mart would put stickers on the cover on this one CD from Aerosmith because it showed a Cow's utter with an ear-ring in it.

I originally thought you were gonna say their music selection they play over the intercom, which is actually not too bad because I've heard them playing the Saga Begins a few nights. :D

scruffziller
06-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Wooooof
Uh, well, the obvious solution is to just buy your CDs at Best Buy or Circuit City or Target or wherever. They never edit their CDs.

But then again I never buy all that "explicit" music anyway (if you can't make your point without cursing every three seconds then you shouldn't be allowed to own a tongue). You should stick with proper music.;)
Oh I already know to buy elsewhere I was just trying to find anyone who had purchased a CD there they thought was the regular version and found out it was edited. Whe I bought the Slim Shady LP it didn't say edited and that is what I looked for. I realized later that it didn't have a EXPLICIT LYRICS sticker on it but ones that are not edited didn't always have those on there so I still thought it was the original.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-19-2002, 04:56 PM
I have found that Wal-Mart and K-Mart sell only edited CD's. That's why I don't bother buying CD's tere.

2-1B
06-20-2002, 04:07 AM
I got burned by them on Aerosmith's double live album from '98. :mad:

I love the hypocrisy of WM, I'm old enough to buy a gun or tobacco product from them, but a few "profane" words on a disc?
Oh, okay - that makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 06:29 AM
The car magazines with the women in tight small bikinis are right next to the children's book section at my Wal-Mart. :confused:

QLD
06-20-2002, 08:17 AM
I don't buy CD's from Wal-Mart because their physical selection is poor, and the prices aren't great. Actually, I haven't bought a CD in about 3 years, which was around the time I went from dial up to cable or DSL. :D

scruffziller
06-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
The car magazines with the women in tight small bikinis are right next to the children's book section at my Wal-Mart. :confused: :D

InsaneJediGirl
06-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
I have found that Wal-Mart and K-Mart sell only edited CD's. That's why I don't bother buying CD's tere.

I had no problem with my Staind Break the Cycle CD,which I got a K-Mart.Still has all the words.Maybe WM/K-Mart started this when parents complained their little darlings were buying SlimShady CDs.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
06-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I got burned by them on Aerosmith's double live album from '98. :mad:

Interesting. . . Especially since they had an exclusive Aerosmith CD in 1997 (Made in America, currently appearing in cutout bins all across the US).

I only get CD's at Wal-Mart after I make absolutely sure there's no Parental Advisory sticker. Though I find that rather weird in and of itself--one artist can say a single naughty word and get a sticker, but Pearl Jam could release an entire album of Eddie Vedder chanting profanity for 75 minutes and it wouldn't get stickered. :rolleyes:

My favorite all-time Wal-Mart/K-Mart edit: Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream. The cassette liner was blank where normally the tracks would be listed, since the stores wouldn't carry them otherwise--there's a song entitled "Silverf***." However, it was printed on all the cassettes themselves. . . and guess which side was facing out on every single edited copy I saw? :D

JEDIpartner
06-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter

Our K-Mart had the "explicit" version of the J.Lo disc... just saw it while looking at Kylie Minogue one day. :D

El Chuxter
06-20-2002, 02:11 PM
I've noticed stickered versions of albums popping up at K-Marts--maybe bankruptcy is convincing them they need to actually sell the stuff?

Parental Advisory J-Lo? "Parental Advisory: Content Sucks"???

InsaneJediGirl
06-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

Parental Advisory J-Lo? "Parental Advisory: Content Sucks"???

:evil: "Listening will cause ears to bleed":evil:

JEDIpartner
06-20-2002, 02:20 PM
...or may cause you to deny your ethnicity!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-20-2002, 10:17 PM
I get a lot of my CDs at Wally-Mart. I never have to worry about explicit lyric stickers (you gotta watch those Dan Fogleberg CDs) because I don't listen to artists with potty mouths. Granted they don't have the greatest selection, but they are much better priced then a Media Play, K-Mart or any stores that sell CDs in any mall.

Dar' Argol
06-20-2002, 10:48 PM
Here's the lowdown on the edited CD issue at WM

*I had to do some research today at work. I thought I new the answer but I wanted to make sure what I thought I knew was right. So here it is in a nutshell*

Since Wal-Mart is a "Family orientated(sp)" company, they refuse to sell any CD's with "questionable" lyrics. This was in practice b/4 that whole orginization back in the early '80's made a big stink about a bunch of albums (2 Live Crew, Public Enemy, Twisted Sister, etc) and made record companies put the Parental Advisory stickers on all albums with these types of lyrics and or album covers. After the whole PA stickers when on, WM, with their vast buying power, had cut a deal with many record companies. If they were to produce the same album, with the qusetionalble lyrics removed, they would agree to sell that album in their stores. Thus begain the great Editing album era, that still continuies today. They feel that parents should not have to worry about what CD's their kids are buying at WM.

Personally I can't stand it. I got a Rob Zombie CD (American Made Music to Strip By - remix of Hellbilly Deluxe) and half the darn CD was "reversed". You know, that little trick they do to get rid of curse words without interupting the song too much. Well, needless to say, I returned it immediatly, and when to The Wall(which is not the Wall anymore, I just noticed) and got the un-edited version!! That CD rocks!!!:D

2-1B
06-21-2002, 02:02 AM
Thanks Dar, that just proves the hypocrisy that I was talking about earlier. :)
They sell movies with "questionable" content, cigarettes with "questionable" contents, and guns that can be used for "questionable" motives. Obviously, they I.D. for the guns 'n tobacco stuff (oh, and our WM now sells beer, so throw that in the list :D ). Anyway, I don't know what cigarettes have to do with a "family oriented" company. :rolleyes:

Even still, if I concede those 3 points as being obviously meant for adults (legally speaking, of course), what about "questionable" movies ? ? ? They are most certainly comparable to CDs. When I buy an R rated DVD at WM, I see the little age verification thing come up on the cashier's screen.

So I don't buy the company's position, and find it laughable. If a kid isn't supposed to get thru the register with a DVD of Jeepers Creepers, why should parents worry about the kid getting thru with a Rob Zombie CD (nice example :) ) Nope, I'm not convinced.

Thanks for the research and the info, those barbs aren't directed at you but at WM in general. :D

Dar' Argol
06-21-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Thanks Dar, that just proves the hypocrisy that I was talking about earlier. :)
They sell movies with "questionable" content, cigarettes with "questionable" contents, and guns that can be used for "questionable" motives. Obviously, they I.D. for the guns 'n tobacco stuff (oh, and our WM now sells beer, so throw that in the list :D ). Anyway, I don't know what cigarettes have to do with a "family oriented" company. :rolleyes:

Even still, if I concede those 3 points as being obviously meant for adults (legally speaking, of course), what about "questionable" movies ? ? ? They are most certainly comparable to CDs. When I buy an R rated DVD at WM, I see the little age verification thing come up on the cashier's screen.

So I don't buy the company's position, and find it laughable. If a kid isn't supposed to get thru the register with a DVD of Jeepers Creepers, why should parents worry about the kid getting thru with a Rob Zombie CD (nice example :) ) Nope, I'm not convinced.

Thanks for the research and the info, those barbs aren't directed at you but at WM in general. :D

I agree with you, These are all valid points. Now, lets see if I can make some sense.

You got me on the Guns, Cigs, and Magaiznes. Although, most really questionalble Mags never make it to the shelf(FYI).

Movies, Hmmmm . . . . . . IF the cashier is doing their job, they should be checking ID's for age verification. Now, I can sorta see letting it slip if you look around 18. But IMO I believe that unless you look, without a shadow of a doubt, over 21, you should be checked. The other thing too is thet while WM is a powerful company, I don't think they have that much power to turn Hollywood. I can't see Hollywood making a special WM version movie. I don't think that would go over very well. In the same respect, WM could just not carry that movie. BUT, everyone knows that WM has low prices, usually good instock, and always releases new movies on Tuesday. So they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they would decide not to carry some movies. Now there are exceptions. WM never carried Show Girls and there was another one . . . . but it eludes me right now. That is the best info I can give at 4am!!

BTW, I take no offence, I know it wasn't dorected at me:D

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Here's the lowdown on the edited CD issue at WM

*I had to do some research today at work. I thought I new the answer but I wanted to make sure what I thought I knew was right. So here it is in a nutshell*

Since Wal-Mart is a "Family orientated(sp)" company, they refuse to sell any CD's with "questionable" lyrics. This was in practice b/4 that whole orginization back in the early '80's made a big stink about a bunch of albums (2 Live Crew, Public Enemy, Twisted Sister, etc) and made record companies put the Parental Advisory stickers on all albums with these types of lyrics and or album covers. After the whole PA stickers when on, WM, with their vast buying power, had cut a deal with many record companies. If they were to produce the same album, with the qusetionalble lyrics removed, they would agree to sell that album in their stores. Thus begain the great Editing album era, that still continuies today. They feel that parents should not have to worry about what CD's their kids are buying at WM.

Personally I can't stand it. I got a Rob Zombie CD (American Made Music to Strip By - remix of Hellbilly Deluxe) and half the darn CD was "reversed". You know, that little trick they do to get rid of curse words without interupting the song too much. Well, needless to say, I returned it immediatly, and when to The Wall(which is not the Wall anymore, I just noticed) and got the un-edited version!! That CD rocks!!!:D
But you know what alot of the CDs they have there that are edited still have "questionable content" which can be just as bad if not worse. Plus what about video games? They had Conker's Bad Fur Day:D and that is the most graphic game I have played as far as language and content, not to mention other Playstaion games that are sold too. They are hypocrites.

QLD
06-22-2002, 12:48 PM
Everyone is a hypocrite. If you say you aren't, it proves you are. Our nature is to be hypocritical. Especially when it comes to business and making money.

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Everyone is a hypocrite. If you say you aren't, it proves you are. Our nature is to be hypocritical. Especially when it comes to business and making money.
Yes that is true but I try my best to not be.

Dar' Argol
06-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

But you know what alot of the CDs they have there that are edited still have "questionable content" which can be just as bad if not worse. Plus what about video games? They had Conker's Bad Fur Day:D and that is the most graphic game I have played as far as language and content, not to mention other Playstaion games that are sold too. They are hypocrites.

The only thing that I can say to that is the fact that they do not make edited video games:rolleyes:. I don't know. I think its moronic too, but I don't make the policies, I just try to make sense of them for you guys:D. In defense, you are required to be a certain age to purchase M games. But there again, its up to the cashier to check:rolleyes:

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 07:13 PM
They do adversely sell the TV guardian VCR though.