PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Yoda -Picture Enclosed!!

Beast
06-19-2002, 07:53 PM
Jonboy in the General Area mentioned that Hasbro had updated with images of the new Deluxe Yoda and Deluxe C-3PO sets. It's about darn time, since these are due out next month. Nice to see Hasbro breaking the news, instead of one of the collector's sites.

Yoda comes with a base, pillar and crane arm, and a Super Battle Droid figure. All you guys that complained about the Super Battle Droid's arm being in the wrong position should be happy. Since the new one has it's arm straight out in a firing position. The Yoda is sweet also, and has a more relaxed stance. Kewl Beans!!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
06-19-2002, 08:00 PM
I'll reserve judgement until I see his face. And how exactly this base works.

My initial reaction is... 2-pack of statues.

Hellboy
06-19-2002, 08:02 PM
:eek: Cool- I wonder if the SBD's arm will have any articulation at the wrist or elbow so you can take it out of the firing position?
Now if we're lucky it will come out before Target lowers their prices on Deluxe fig.'s

Oh yeah Yoda looks cool too.
Thanks for posting the pic.s

LTBasker
06-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Hopefully they'll keep the Super Battle Droid's articulation or add more.

The Yoda looks like he has a plastic lightsaber.

mylow thehutt
06-19-2002, 08:09 PM
this another deleted scene toy,I heard in earlyer sketes that yoda was going to come out and take out 4 super battel droids that were gardering Dooku's ship ,it also comes with the crane.not that I'm complaing but some people may were wondering.:happy:

Darth Yambag
06-19-2002, 08:27 PM
They have Ki-Adi Mundi too. However, he doesn't look much different than E1. I will however reserve judgment till the final product...which Hasbro will likely screw up.

Beast
06-19-2002, 09:05 PM
The new Ki-Adi-Mundi has a much better sculpt, as well as being in less of an action pose then the E1 version. The E1 version's one leg is out further then the other. Plus he comes with a proper colored lightsaber now. Here is a comparison shot of the two together, showing that the new E2 figure looks much better. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

figrin bran
06-19-2002, 09:12 PM
the yoda and ki-adi look quite promising...but even if they aren't i'll still be suckered into buying them :)

Forhekset
06-19-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
I'll reserve judgement until I see his face. And how exactly this base works.

My initial reaction is... 2-pack of statues.

What Lord Tenebrous said. I'm pretty underwhelmed just from that picture, which sucks because I was really looking forward to this figure.

But then again, I pretty much hated the initial 27 AOTC figures until I actually saw them in stores (pictures on the net don't ever do these toys justice), so I'll hold off on commenting much until I have this thing in my hands.

CrossWizard
06-19-2002, 10:08 PM
I dont know you but they look identical to me, all Hasbro did was throw in a new lightsaber, change the right arm, and add more dirty paint deco. I just gave him Episode 1 Mace's lightsaber and he looks just fine standin on my Arena diorama.

Geonosian
06-19-2002, 10:16 PM
The Yoda figure looks great.
I hope to see the delux Geonosian soon!.

Unit-01
06-19-2002, 10:34 PM
I want to see a more accurate SBD. With an arm that goes back like when he is shooting in the movie. I'll wait for more pics to see if I should get the basic Yoda instead. + Ki Adi better be able to hold his saber with both hands since he has and articulated elbow, but probably some stupid articulation. They run out of laser deflect ideas? :rolleyes:

OneArmedJango
06-19-2002, 10:37 PM
Oh man I just got back from hasbro.com and they have some really cool stuff. I want to get the delux Yoda so much and I like the new "Ki-Adi-Mundi - Jedi Master". It has much more detal. If any one knows when they are coming out let me know. ;)
-One

BlahBlahBlah
06-19-2002, 10:38 PM
Well, to me, it looks like they're both just minor-retoolings of the current basic figures. Yoda seems to have the same shoulder joints, only the right arm is straighter. And the SBD looks to have the same articulation, which is a plus and a great addition to your armies, just with an accurately posed arm. I just hope it can go back into a non-firing position.

What I'm worried about is Yoda's "force action." I hope they don't re-use Mace's force push technique... I don't my Yoda to have a giant hole in his arm.

I'm gonna pick it up, in anycase.

hango fett
06-19-2002, 10:53 PM
something just doesn't seem right about deluxe yoda....to plain...but will still buy one since i'm a "get one of every 3.75 inch fig" guy!

Battle Droid
06-19-2002, 11:47 PM
SWEET! I hope these aren't hard to find, I'll buy a ton of them just for the SBD! :eek:

Battle Droid
06-20-2002, 12:17 AM
I also hope they release that SBD or a similar one on it's own card.

fourtwo
06-20-2002, 12:32 AM
i wonder why we get that whacky crane.

saladin
06-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Well i got to have 1 of every jedi so i'll get Ki, and yoda is the man so i will have him.

MikeAndTheBots
06-20-2002, 12:55 AM
You think this crane piece attatches to deluxe 3po's to make a bigger one? That'd be kind of cool for dioramas.

jad
06-20-2002, 01:29 AM
Man these look like they could be quite fun. Both from a diorama/display viewpoint, and from a kids viewpoint as well. I'm always open to expanding my jedi and droid armies :) Bring em on.

Also i'm not usually one to dis on other peoples posts but after reading so much negativity in the boards lately I feel I have to make a comment. Alot of you folks really seem to rag on Hasbro for doing a bad job. Often making comments like, "well i'll just wait and see how it turns out, i'm sure hasbro will screw it up." And of course thats your opinion, but with that sort of attitude why do you even collect star wars toys anymore? If these figures are so horrible why do you buy them? Seriously, I get excited when I see new images of star wars toys, being so criticle truly takes the fun out of things. Once again though, these are some people's opinions and I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just felt I should make a comment.
:)

Jargo
06-20-2002, 06:06 AM
Personally, I said that Yoda came with a hangar base and crane a while back after detecting the set in a pic of the 3PO one from C2. I think the Yoda set is totally sweet. Love the fact that the set comes with another reposed SBdroid and there's a great big accessory to boot. Yoda doesn't look too different from the tiny pic but it is only a back shot of him. If he's straightened up and not looking at the floor I'll be happy. he's small enough as it is and the basic figure managed to almost fold him in half. :) I can't help grinning every time I see that tiny little saber in his hand. No, actually i love the look of this set like I love the 3PO one.
I'm being totally honest here and for once I don't think i have any negative things to say aart from why the heck can't all the deluxe sets be this good? I like the Anakin one only for the Geonosian because the Anakin is totally poo. Horrible face and horrible messed up arms. If they'd just articulated him instead of giving him the slashing action that would have made me think he was superior to the basic versions. But i'll still buy the set for the slice apart Geonosian :) I was always a sadist where bugs are concerned as a kid and I like the idea of pulling the big bug apart.... :evil:

lunchymeatball
06-20-2002, 06:35 AM
I think it looks cool and is a vast improvement to the previous force flipping delux figs, from the picture it looks as if they have not compromised sculpt for action features. WHICH IS WHAT WE ALL WANTED.
Some people will never truly be happy.
I wonder if anyone knows what the "force powers" consist of.

This opens a larger question though; What was the pillar we see pics of and when/who will we see it with.
I must admit that I thought the idea of including a pillar was pretty lame but now I see a far cooler delux version has been produced:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2002, 06:41 AM
(mike begins to drool) that yoda looks hella hella sweet. Jar Jar, you are the man...errrr...gungan!!

kadamontaga
06-20-2002, 07:19 AM
After seeing this picture I feel a sense of relief and dissappointment. I'm relieved that it looks better than the other SAGA deluxe sets we've seen so far (with the possible exception of the Nexu), but I'm also dissapointed because I thought that an AOTC deluxe yoda had a lot of potential, and that potential doesn't seem to have been fulfilled.
It seems to me that they could have done a lot better than a big tacky base and an SBD resculpt. We could have had some force lightning, a more articulated yoda, a soft goods cloak, a hover-chair thing or possibly even a Dooku pack-in, but they went with a crane and a droid instead.
Don't get me wrong, I'll almost definately be buying one, and two figures for 10 isnt bad, and I love Yoda figures, but I just wish they'd done a little better with this one.

Is anyone aware of the details of the cut-scene involving a crane? The Lego set with Yoda and Dooku also came with a crane so I'd quite like to hear what the original plans were if anyone has the details.

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:26 AM
I was thinking about the force power thing... It looks like that possibly you pose Yoda there and use the control stick to swing the crane around with "the force" to knock over the SBD.

hango fett
06-20-2002, 07:40 AM
now that would be cool LTbasker! you always have good ideas!
peace
Hango

Jargo
06-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Maybe Yoda is attached to the base, move his arm to activate the crane. maybe the crane is spring loaded and there's some way of sending it flying at the super battle droid. I was thinking maybe the base has one of those flip up panels in the floor section, The floor is made to look tiled so one of the tiles could be a flip up one to make it look like Yoda knocked the droid over or something. I don't know I'm clutching at straws here. I just want the figures not the base so it's academic to me what the figures come with.

I have to admit that I was initially disappointed that we weren't getting a Yoda in his flying "TIMMY!" pod/chair thing. But hopefully we'll get that as a basic figure sometime. I'd just be happy to get a single Yoda with little legs under his robe instead of a solid chunk of plastic with feet tagged on. Just a niggle but since they did the Jawa with legs I thought it would be possible to do Yoda too. They wouldn't have to be articulated for me, just there. Give Yoda his little leggies please hasbro. :)

Forhekset
06-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Too bad this set couldn't have come with a more articulated Yoda w/ soft goods cloak (actual legs, and he could perhaps be posed sitting or standing), a hoverchair w/ clear plastic stand so it could appear to be "hovering", and a youngling with lightsabre and blast shield helmet. They could even have done a 50/50 run, the first sets come with a male youngling, the other half come with a female youngling. Since I doubt we're going to see a youngling on a card unless Hasbro gets pretty desperate in 2003-2004 waiting for another "movie year". If this set had turned out like my above description, I would be calling it a must-buy without even seeing it.

But the more I look at this one, it just seems really bland. Whoopee, another Super Battle Droid, and this one has his right arm turned 90 degrees differently than the carded SBD. :p Yoda doesn't look like a significant change from the basic version either, except that he's standing upright a wee bit more. You can't tell from that angle if he has an actual set of legs or not, but I bet he doesn't. So really what's left, a big crane? Yeah.... Anyway look at me, I'm already complaining and I haven't even seen this thing yet except for a picture taken at a bad angle. I just wanted to balance this thread with a little healthy constructive criticism considering how much most of you are drooling over this thing. :) Hey, wouldn't it be funny if they gave this Yoda a "battle roar" face a la Deluxe Anakin or Geo. Rescue Mace? :D

InsaneJediGirl
06-20-2002, 09:59 AM
I think the Yoda and SBD looks pretty good.I do hope he comes of the platform though,so the figure can be positioned differently.

Forhekset,That would have been a good idea,to have Yoda come with his little Hoverchair and a Youngling.:D

JEDIpartner
06-20-2002, 10:13 AM
I like them both. I think we needed another Yoda figure since the first one, while sporting some cool pack-ins, just was a little too shrimpy for me (due to his pose). I'm glad we're getting another Super Battle Droid (I can't read SBD and not laugh... "silent, but deadly"). I'm not into the crane so much, but I'm not gonna lump it. It's a cool set.

Ki-Adi-Mundi looks like the same sculpt retooled and repainted. It looks better than the E1 version, but whatever. It's just Ki-Adi-Mundi. I like it, though.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-20-2002, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing that gold knob behind Yoda moves the crane.

Jayspawn
06-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Looks pretty cool. Yoda in a fighting ready pose is a good feature. I don't know about the Super Battle Droid, but I'll get it just for Yoda.

Dave_Cameron
06-20-2002, 12:53 PM
It amazes me how something like this will sell for $9.99 and a regular figure was priced at $5.99-$6.99 before the price reductions. Strange. I hope this one does well. It looks like it should.

187-Maul
06-20-2002, 01:21 PM
well I must say I am really impressed by this set
the yoda looks good IMO even from this angle and I was kinda hoping he was coming in a fighting stanse since I didn't really like the first one
I just hope he can hold his saber in two hands this time
and the SBD looks cool too
sure, it's just a resculpt but IMO a pretty good one since finally he's like in the movie and does not have a "interchangaeble gun-arm", I was really p*ssed when I saw them in the movie and that they didn't make the fig like that (in the shooting position I mean)
so overall I am really seeing forward to this figure, I just hope to see some better pics soon

and I have another idea about the bottun behind yoda:
didn't the cargo bay say "deluxe force-flipping yoda" or something like that? well this button could maybe catapult him on top of or behind the SBD to create something he maybe would have done in the movie (if the scene hadn't been cut)
just a thought

edit: okay scrap my idea of having him jump, I just checked the database and I was wrong, the deluxe force flipping is suposed to be a new anakin, yoda has force powers like alot of you already mentioned

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-20-2002, 01:28 PM
It took me like 8 posts before it dawned on me what "SBD" meant. It didn't even occur to me it was "super Battle Droid" or even as Jedipartnr said, "Silent but Deadly"

anyway, said it this morning, this fig looks very very awesome to me. dumb question prolly: what does he do anyway? thanks!

Lord Tenebrous
06-20-2002, 01:38 PM
There was to be a small group of SBDs guarding the Solar Sailer, but when they approach Yoda, he just waves his hand a little and sends them all crashing into the wall.

The crane evolved into the pillar that threatens to crush Obi-Wan and Anakin.

So what I'm thinking is that the knob behind Yoda swings the crane around. Yoda should have a northern magnetic charge, and the crane and SBD should have a southern, so when Yoda gets near either, they're pushed in the opposite direction.

But I don't know, having a Yoda with that strong of magnet is going to erase disks and disrupt signals on desks all over the world.

Anyways, I still want to see Yoda's face, because that accounts for about 75% of my decision in buying a figure. :)

pthfnder89
06-20-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Yoda should have a northern magnetic charge, and the crane and SBD should have a southern, so when Yoda gets near either, they're pushed in the opposite direction.

But I don't know, having a Yoda with that strong of magnet is going to erase disks and disrupt signals on desks all over the world.

Actually I believe that if Yoda had a "northern" charge and the crane had a "southern" they would attract.

They would both have to have the same charge in order to repel each other. :)

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Ki-Adi-Mundi looks like the same sculpt retooled and repainted. It looks better than the E1 version, but whatever. It's just Ki-Adi-Mundi. I like it, though.

It is actually the same sculpt, as you said. You can see that each and every crease in the Ep1 figure is exactly the same on the AOTC figure.

I'll stiill buy him though. I kind of liked the slashing gimmick on Geo Rescue Mace (this Ki Adi has the same thing) and I like the new paint job as well as the lightsaber.

I'm still rather surprised they didn't create a new sculpt for him though.
:confused:

Lord Tenebrous
06-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
[B]

Actually I believe that if Yoda had a "northern" charge and the crane had a "southern" they would attract.

They would both have to have the same charge in order to repel each other. :)

Thank you. :) Sometimes I try to be smart and just end up looking foolish. :crazed:

Jargo
06-20-2002, 04:53 PM
Well I've been looking at the Yoda all day and all I can say is that yes he is more upright, his left foot is further forward and the lower part of his inner robe looks to be the wrong color. He appears to have the ball joints at the shoulders but his outer robe seems sculpted differently to take account of his being more upright. his head is tilted slightly upwards because his body is straighter but seems to be the exact same head as the basic version. The super battle droid simply has a forearm twisted ninety degrees and a peg attached so you can stick the blast effect onto it.
I did a little comparison pic for you but it didn't turn out too well, I used a pic from rebelscum if anyone has any complaints, it was the only one I could find in the same pose as the deluxe one to compare properly. It's a little small too since the pic at the hasbro site was tiny and didn't blow up too well. Hope it looks okay.

pthfnder89
06-20-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Well I've been looking at the Yoda all day and all I can say is that yes he is more upright, his left foot is further forward and the lower part of his inner robe looks to be the wrong color. He appears to have the ball joints at the shoulders but his outer robe seems sculpted differently to take account of his being more upright. his head is tilted slightly upwards because his body is straighter but seems to be the exact same head as the basic version.

Thanks for the pic Jargo, I think it actually turned out pretty well.:)

As someone else mentioned, it also looks like the Deluxe Yodas lightsaber is plastic, not the metal one included with the Basic. This is ok with me, although I like the metal on better, I already have the Basic so if I want to use it I will.

Plus, they just can't put the kind of detail on a tiny piece of metal like that as they can with plastic. The plastic one will probably be VERY accurate.:)

LTBasker
06-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Expanding my original idea for what the crane could be used for. I was thinking that maybe when you use the level to move the crane to make it look like Yoda is using the "force" to move it to knock over the SBD, that theres (yet another) peg up Yoda that will move him a little to make it look like he's actually using the force to put things into directions instead of just standing there.

Kinda like the Naboo Hangar w/ Qui-Gon feature.

I think kids and collectors will dig it if it works out well. :cool: